• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
challenge dodging is a ***** move

but how often can u challenge someone?

it should be no more than once a day lol, unless they agree to it

or once a week actually

i should do this in columbus, **** looks fun

4/7 though? what is this europe? u guys have 4/7 tourney sets?

then u shouldn't have 4/7 ranking sets, 3/5 is plenty long
All good questions, soap.

For the moment, Alan and I have decided on a 24-hour no-turn-around rule, meaning that you can only challenge a single player once a day. This should address the majority of multi-challenge issues since the players must actually meet in the same location in the first place before a challenge can occur, and so multi-rank challenges usually will not be able to occur all too frequently.

As for the 4/7 rule, we wanted to find a happy medium between a moderately-intense set environment as well a set length reflecting the relative importance of the rankings themselves. As well, the larger amount of games played will moderately dilute the impact of any unfortunate occurrences in any one game while giving the involved players more play time and experience in a more tense environment.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Good points Ckit.

3/5 would be better, I agree. 3/5 is what we actually use, 4/7 is a completely different game. If you want more matches, 2 best 2/3's in a row would be alot better than a single 4/7.

Ckit, why dont you go to tournaments, or at LEAST participate in these? I've heard ur a lord but haven't seen you play since...FCD or something.

voorhese

Smash Master
well as i was saying, its all fine and dandy for you guys at purdue to challenge each other every day, but not only can i not show up everyday, im not even guaranteed every tourney

_kSo_

Smash Master
well as i was saying, its all fine and dandy for you guys at purdue to challenge each other every day, but not only can i not show up everyday, im not even guaranteed every tourney
In which case you could just state that you would not be at Purdue in a while so that the person below you can just challenge the person ahead of you instead. Just let them know through the thread.

Also, PM any challenge results to me or Anthony and we will update the rankings accordingly.

voorhese

Smash Master
so if they skip me, do they change places with the person ahead of me, or do i go down the list?

edit: alan, and george you guys both somewhat play falco, did you guys notice like a timing difference that carried over, like if you played with one of them, then the others timing would be off for a game or 2, then fine then say you practiced a day with falco, then your fox would be off for a while?

also to fix this is would it be a good idea to just alternate between fox/falco everymatch i am practicing, so i can switch between them often, i think the reason its awkward is because fox/ falco has similar hand movements, unlike say sheik/fox ?

_kSo_

Smash Master
so if they skip me, do they change places with the person ahead of me, or do i go down the list?

edit: alan, and george you guys both somewhat play falco, did you guys notice like a timing difference that carried over, like if you played with one of them, then the others timing would be off for a game or 2, then fine then say you practiced a day with falco, then your fox would be off for a while?

also to fix this is would it be a good idea to just alternate between fox/falco everymatch i am practicing, so i can switch between them often, i think the reason its awkward is because fox/ falco has similar hand movements, unlike say sheik/fox ?
You would just move down the list because you essentially forfeit the challenge match because of your absence.

Also, I would say just like slow it down. And I'm talkin' if fox's movements require 200 bpm, falco would be around 130-150 bpm. Make sure you are evenly slow it down. A lot of problems I have with switching from fox to falco is that I will have random spazz moments that would normally work out if i was playing fox, but with falco I just like die lol.

switching from falco back to fox will just require getting used to. But it shouldn't take more than a stock to get the timing back if you switch between them evey once in a while.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Challenges for me will have to be made in advance. Plus, it'll have to be for when I'm in town. Sorry for this to be an inconvenience to those needing to challenge me.

edit:
I challenge Fro when I come in next time.

voorhese

Smash Master
You would just move down the list because you essentially forfeit the challenge match because of your absence.

Also, I would say just like slow it down. And I'm talkin' if fox's movements require 200 bpm, falco would be around 130-150 bpm. Make sure you are evenly slow it down. A lot of problems I have with switching from fox to falco is that I will have random spazz moments that would normally work out if i was playing fox, but with falco I just like die lol.

switching from falco back to fox will just require getting used to. But it shouldn't take more than a stock to get the timing back if you switch between them evey once in a while.
yah thats what i thought about me basicly forfeiting (idk if i want to be on the list if i will just be at the bottom the whole time), as fox the fox/falco thing, thats how i am now, i was playing falco all night last night, and i wd with L when moving, but waveshine with R (cuz of fox, i use L to slow down the movement timing anyway for WD) but now when i played fox, it seem like i can see a frame or 2 of fox jumping when i didnt notice it earlier, (prolly just a temporary timing thing) but when i play falco, i do good, until i just let my hand go, and i go back to fox timing and voorhese myself lol

i think that if i keep practicing both characters 1 after the other, and not 1 for like 4 matches in a row then the timing difference wont be noticeable anymore

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Vorheese your posts are hilarious.

KSO hit it right on the head:
"A lot of problems I have with switching from fox to falco is that I will have random spazz moments that would normally work out if i was playing fox, but with falco I just like die lol."

If I just got good with Fox I would find no reason to play Falco. I don't think Falco has a single matchup better than any of Foxes...

voorhese

Smash Master
Vorheese your posts are hilarious.

KSO hit it right on the head:
"A lot of problems I have with switching from fox to falco is that I will have random spazz moments that would normally work out if i was playing fox, but with falco I just like die lol."

If I just got good with Fox I would find no reason to play Falco. I don't think Falco has a single matchup better than any of Foxes...
lol hes better at fox dittos

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
If I was last on the rankings, would that mean I get to play Kirk/Goose first round?
Bad characters like Donkey Kong and GW, yeah. But out of the ones that matter, I'd say Falco does better on Sheik.

kirkq

Smash Ace
After reading this discussion, it makes much more sense to allow people to challenge the person 1-2 above them. It will make the list slightly more dynamic, as if e.g. player 10 loses to player 9 all the time, but can beat 7 and 8, they probably deserve the 7 spot if player 9 can't beat 7 and 8.

I guess a more sensible rule would be. You can challenge whoever you want, but it is only necessary for people 1-2 above you to accept.

Something to that effect.

Also, based on Carl's previous statement, the committee should reserve the right to force a player to stay in a higher position based on sandbagging. (in rare cases.)

Also, Bunbun, wat?

_kSo_

Smash Master
I don't see me... >_>
what is going on?
we did the rankings based on everyone who made it to bracket in a 2009 SSBO tournament.

:( Sorry maus. we will make an Honorable Mentions List just for you :)

Results from SSBO XXXII.5

1: NJzFinest
2: 'Fro
3: A.C._Burito
4: BunBun
5: iamthemicrowave
5: Iggy (by forfeit)
7: Dex
7: John
9: Brett
9: Lance

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
So anyway, the actual results for the tournament were:
1. NJzFinest
2. 'Fro
3. ACBurito
4. BunBun
5. Iamthemicrowave
5. Iggy (forf)
7. Lance
7. John
9. Brett
9. Zifer
9. Dex
9. Anub (forf)
13. Rin1010
13. ATP
13. Bye #1
13. Bye #2

That's the correct placing.

Shoutouts:
Everyone: Good fun.
Everyone new: Nice meeting you, Good fun.
Soap: Show up.

~BunBun

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I don't really like the new smashboards name.

Smash Hero is kinda cool, but Smash Ace < Smash Apprentice

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
So anyway, the actual results for the tournament were:
1. NJzFinest
2. 'Fro
3. ACBurito
4. BunBun
5. Iamthemicrowave
5. Iggy (forf)
7. Lance
7. John
9. Brett
9. Zifer
9. Dex
9. Anub (forf)
13. Rin1010
13. ATP
13. Bye #1
13. Bye #2
give it up for Bye #1 and Bye #2 they played like champions and didnt deserve those last two spots...i dunno i guess they just couldnt pull through :ohwell:

also jay welcome to the world of females

everyone else...gg's

Jayford

Smash Lord
oOoOOohhHH man I'm gonna have to hear this story.

Short story.

We watch a movie. She starts to rub against me and stuff. It gets hot. She freaks out and starts to cry saying guys just take advantage of her. (Which I didn't.) I calmed her down. She runs to the kitchen and grabs a handle of vodka and starts to drink it. I stop her. We go watch tv and everything is fine. She starts to rub up against me again. I am like screw this you're not going in crazy mode again. I tell her I am tired and I leave.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
HAHAHA.

(The story goes wrong around the "I stop her [from drinking vodka]" part.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Purdue Power Rankings FAQs

In order to address the understandably-large amount of questions about the PPR, the SSBO staff presents the following PPR FAQ for your convenience. This will also be added to the first post for reference.

1) Placement on the Purdue Power Rankings (PPR) requires making it out of pools in any sanctioned SSBO event. The crew member will begin in last place on the rankings regardless of the performance that granted him access to the rankings.

2) The PPR will be used to assign pool positions more accurately during non-regional SSBO events and will also be used to seed brackets outright if time does not permit pool play.

3) Rank advancement is done via the challenge system in which a player "challenges" the player directly above him on the rankings; this requires directly contacting the player to be challenged and informing him of your challenge as well as potential meeting places and times during which to carry out the event.

4) Challenge rules:
a. Challenge matches are best 4/7
b. Standard SSBO rules apply (see the first post)
c. No-turn-around rule: you may only challenge the same player once in a 24-hour period. A player who has lost a challenge cannot challenge his opponent for 24 hours after the event in question.
d. All ranked Dew Crew members must accept all challenges.
e. To make the results of a challenge official, both involved players as well as at least one credible witness must PM the results of the match to the Smashboards account PurdueSmash.

5) if you contact the player above you for a challenge and he makes it clear that he will not be reachable for quite some time, you may challenge the person directly ahead of that player (also letting them know of the situation). In this case, if you win the challenge, you take the place of the defeated player, and both the defeated player and any players between the concerned parties will move down one ranking each.

6) SSBO Challenges: You can challenge any player ranked above you who is present at the same sanctioned SSBO event. Only players 1-2 ranks above you are required to accept this challenge. Usual challenge rules apply, including the no-turn-around rule. Note that under no circumstances will challenge matches be permitted to take precedence over tournament matches in terms of use of TV's (although challenge matches do take priority over friendlies); the attending TO(s) will announce when TV's are free for non-tournament match use.

7) PPR administration reserves the right to force a player to stay in a higher position based on sandbagging (in rare cases).

kirkq

Smash Ace
c. No-turn-around rule: you may only challenge the same player once in a 24-hour period. A player who has lost a challenge cannot challenge his opponent for 24 hours after the event in question.
d. All ranked Dew Crew members must accept all challenges.
I must accept all challenges every 24 hours.

Should make it once per week defined Monday-Sunday or something. Even once a week is a bit much because most of us will only show up once every 2 weeks. This doesn't really even pertain to me and goose, because I'm pretty sure we don't feel like playing a best out of 7 every 24 hours. Semantics.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Once a week seems perfect. I'm pretty sure it isn't going to take a day for most players to get better then people ranked over them.
If it stays as once a day + you must accept challenges, then I don't think someone who sucks at academics should be on this power ranking lol
*points at himself*

'Fro

Smash Lord
Once a week seems perfect. I'm pretty sure it isn't going to take a day for most players to get better then people ranked over them.
If it stays as once a day + you must accept challenges, then I don't think someone who sucks at academics should be on this power ranking lol
*points at himself*
However, with certain people matches can swing either way quite often. With me and Draco for example, it's never easy to tell who's going to win, and lo and behold, we're a rank apart.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
By that, do you mean play in tourneys? (he definitely plays friendlies with some of the guys)

For him, it's like taking candy from babies if he entered the SSBO tournaments.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Yeah, I mean play in tournies. Its not like taking candy from a baby vs the midwest's best.

Mr H

Smash Ace
sorry i didnt show up for the tourney
i got a ticket to the Purdue game
i should have just came and hung out with u guys b/c my night ended in disappointment >.>

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that the 24-hour no-turn-around rule does not explicitly state (and for good reason) that your challenge must be played out within that 24-hour window; rather, it was mainly put in as a mechanism to prevent prolonged challenge loops that may occur between players of near-equal skill levels. Indeed, I would hope that the members of this community understand and acknowledge that we do in fact have non-Smash obligations to attend to for the majority of our week; as such, it is simply a matter of coordinating a suitable time with your opponent in which the two of you can play your match. Again, it is not required that the challenge be played out within a 24-hour window; it is the responsibility of the players to come to a mutual agreement as to when and where the match will take place. Yes, this does require a bit of communication, time management, and perhaps some self-control, but you will see plenty of that in basically all facets of life in the first place; why not get a jump start on such concepts in a less strenuous environment?

Top Bottom