• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I'll be training for the day. I will camp harder than ever, and the game will drag on to 8 minutes. Maybe I'll try not to get 3 stocked as well! :)

idea

Smash Master
i don't think it's yoshi's, i've succesfully counterpicked that on foxes before. (easy to gimp/rest them there)

does jigglypuff even have bad stages O_O i've never thought to myself "dammit, not this one" before...

i guess foxes could camp you pretty well on pokefloats?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Well tournament legal means different things now considering the sbr rulelist change.

It's just very character dependant i think. Cos you don't wanna play marths on yoshis but id be happy with fox on yoshis. Similarly i wouldn't mind marth on ps but fox id rather not.

Also, pokefloats is a very awesome counterpick against peach as jiggs ive found. Try it out, it may not be for everyone but i've found peaches to be slow as hell on that stage

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Anyone have any other advice on fighting samus? Or any good vids they can link me to? I tried looking for some, but the only ones I found were of mango vs hugs and it didn't end well for mango :\

Tamoo

Smash Master
When samus is off stage and bomb jumping, just jump into the bombs.

Samus is easy as hell to combo once you get her with a bair or fair

Watch out for the crouch cancel, better to attack her once she's in the air, try and bait a nair from her and punish the afterlag.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
I play against a sheik who likes to needle spam. Once i get hit with his needles, he follows up with a grab and then proceeds to destroy me from there. My first attempt to adapt, was to try to approach from an angle with Nair/Fair so that I couldnt get hit with Needles/Aerial Needles, but was foiled and received plenty of Fairs. Also, I try to stay off the ground for fear of getting grabbed, but I get aerialed by sheik like crazy.

Any tips for fighting against sheik? Also, what is a good direction to DI when getting D-Throwed.

idea

Smash Master
I play against a sheik who likes to needle spam. Once i get hit with his needles, he follows up with a grab and then proceeds to destroy me from there. My first attempt to adapt, was to try to approach from an angle with Nair/Fair so that I couldnt get hit with Needles/Aerial Needles, but was foiled and received plenty of Fairs. Also, I try to stay off the ground for fear of getting grabbed, but I get aerialed by sheik like crazy.

Any tips for fighting against sheik? Also, what is a good direction to DI when getting D-Throwed.
crouch. she'll miss the grab at least sometimes.

(sheik can only sort of grab crouching jigglypuff...it's awkward enough that you can generally bet on the sheik to mess it up at least occasionally)

kirbykaze specifically practiced this and tested things in training mode and came to the conclusion that it wasn't really worth the risk to do needle-grabs, since jiggs can crouch-->rest if sheik slightly screws it up.

as for general stuff...i dunno, i don't think i know the matchup very well. edgeguarding is important, forcing her to up-b onstage then rest/hitting her back off until she dies. crouching is overall good against her.

^ also tells me not to cross over her shield so much. like, if you fair and it hits her shield, float back away rather than behind her. but that's probably just a personal bad habit.

idea

Smash Master
seems to be basically getting pokes and avoiding upsmashes. and yeah, pikachus will upair jigglypuffs, so between that and upsmash don't let the pikachu get underneath you.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I don't remember exactly, but I don't think pika can really string anything from one or two uairs, which don't do that much damage. It's mainly the usmash you have to watch out for. Also, it might just be because I don't have experience with it, but I think it's kinda hard to edgeguard pika's up b

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
So I'm thinking about picking up Puff again. Any tips vs Marth? I hate that matchup more than anything. I know the vs Fox matchup is supposed to be much worse, but I really don't feel so. This probably means I'm doing something wrong, so any general movement tips would be nice.

Idea I still need to play you. Sorry couldn't come to the Smashfest; parental johns again. =/

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Any tips vs Marth?

any general movement tips would be nice.=/
Any tips vs Marth are always bad.

To avoid them, as soon as he grabs you (you should be able to see it coming), DI away from the stage, always away from the sword, so the fsmash will miss. If you have avoided it once or twice, you will want to switch it up, because Marth will too.

Other than that, Pound Lots and Rollout Lots play smart.

idea

Smash Master
So I'm thinking about picking up Puff again. Any tips vs Marth? I hate that matchup more than anything. I know the vs Fox matchup is supposed to be much worse, but I really don't feel so. This probably means I'm doing something wrong, so any general movement tips would be nice.

Idea I still need to play you. Sorry couldn't come to the Smashfest; parental johns again. =/
'sok.

i used to find vs. marth harder than fox, but now marth jiggs feels almost even and fox jiggs really doesn't. i forget why, though. mostly i just find myself being really patient for the first hit. once you get past his sword it's not so bad, but that's the hard part. and shield works better than usual.

vs. sheik and marth i like to occasionally fsmash under their aerials. it trades often enough. pisses them off. looks stupid. (and kinda makes sense -- they both do a poor job of covering the space beneath them, so you fsmash there)

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
See, you guys don't know what Marths can do if you always DI away when they grab you. Kyle, you should see my matches against my brother, you can see that ridiculous Dthrow->Dthrow stuff.

I hate the sword. I can't get in without spamming Bairs. Is there another way?

By the way, I wanted advice on movement (stage control, spacing), not stuff like shield/crouch/other tricks. I still remember those, lol. I just don't know how to get into his space. Crossing his shield with a Bair is hard, because he can shield grab you, I think. Not if you full jump the Bair, but I can't really do anything afterwards. Even if I get behind them with a falling uair or other Bair, he can just Dair OoS me or something the like.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
If Marth plays extremely well, it's a nightmare of "random tippers" and fair spacing. When it gets to the point where it seems like he is reading everything you do, just stop approaching.

There's only a handful of ways puff can approach Marth, and once he learns how to counter them all, a campy, reactive Marth is probably the hardest to play against. Just let him approach, and as long as you know how to counter his approaches, you can win.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, marth can get surprise kills on you, which can be irritating. but that sounds kind of silly coming from a jigglypuff player =P

bairs are good at getting past marth's fair spam, just by virtue of stupid range. or you could try to interrupt his spacing with shieldgrabs. i think that's the main point of shield in the matchup...and seems like a good answer to 'how do i get in on him'.

also, i think i play naked puff now. just not feeling that red flower these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom