• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
that's the drawback of becoming good.

classic psychology. re-watched this yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q1dgn_C0AU&feature=g-u-u

material accomplishments dont mean ****

oscar's post is why i constantly oscillate between quitting and giving my all. i know that even if i achieve my goals i'm going to feel like oscar a year down the line. so is it worth putting in all that effort and energy? the opportunity cost in doing so is ginormous.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
well playing games in general kind of sucks. they're potentially addictive and so have all kinds of ancillary risks attached to them. just the nature of video gaming in general tends to attract all kinds of negative personality quirks.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Johnny and lovage are just angry at socal because they got pooped on by peepee. If you want better competition, help make your competition better! Give out tips like halloween candy so that scrubs know how to get better.

WestBallz

Smash Ace
how does peepee beating johnny/oscar have to do with anything? Ur obviously living under a rock cause johnny helps people get better every chance he gets. he also hosts weekly smashfests at his house.......

D

Deleted member

how does peepee beating johnny/oscar have to do with anything? Ur obviously living under a rock cause johnny helps people get better every chance he gets. he also hosts weekly smashfests at his house.......
^

i tell people exactly what they have to do to get better or beat me lol..

JUST ASK taI

==

after few more tourneys i think i'll update it but first i wanna get merc out to more tourneys, dude is **** as hell

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ yea its true when i ask johnny what i was doing wrong when we play in tourney he tells me, and when i give it thought it makes a lot of sense. applying it correctly is another thing though, as he still ***** me all the time

also yea merc ***** wanna see him come to a few more tourneys

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
dante is the most clueless person in socal

btw oscar's post looks mad salty when you consider he says that right after losing to baka

if there's no competition then why u lose to baka?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
well playing games in general kind of sucks. they're potentially addictive and so have all kinds of ancillary risks attached to them. just the nature of video gaming in general tends to attract all kinds of negative personality quirks.
yeah for sure, but with melee, you get all those negative quirks, in an abandoned ship. new games like in the FGC are still exciting and constantly have new updates in the scene, 1-2 regionals every weekend etc.

i also think ur insane to call wes best in socal and im not even keeping up with this scene. i guarantee oscar and johnny know this but don't wanna come off rude or whatever

i can easily agree he ****s up the heavy weight characters, and that looks great beating oscar/johnny/zhu(those past few tournies they played recently) regularly, but i think he lacks hardcore against the floaties and mid floaties (shiek/marth), he loses to people considered alot worse than him in those matchups, i assume that's why he goes falcon.

and this is no way a callout to wes, cause i think regardless he ***** like hell and i admire his playstyle, but i can still honestly say he's not above johnny/oscar.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
we're all entitled to our opinions, but if you're not playing these guys i feel like your opinion loses weight

i'm a noob so my opinion loses weight too

we're all going off small sample sizes so our opinion loses weight there too. that's why it's important not to take these things too seriously

i've played johnny/oscar/wes just a handful of times over the past 2 months. maybe two hours each total.

i've played wes the most, maybe 3 or 4 hours total. johnny ***** me the most consistently, wes the most thoroughly, oscar the most lazily

so you could make a case for any of them based on that

but the time of oscar/johnny being decisively ahead of wes is over. it's been over for a while. you're behind the times if you're not coming to grips with that. they're equals. the floaty thing is just a joke, at least from my perspective. it's something to have a little fun with at wes' expense because he's so cocky.

but he's cockident because he knows he's incredible. he's earned it and that's just his personality.

i wish someone -- you know, like the panel? -- would actually get the results from the past six months and place them side by side. wes' record v everyone. oscar's record v everyone. johnny's record v everyone.

go by ELO and johnny is 1st in socal @ 1867. wes is 2nd at 1852. oscar is 3rd at 1792.

check out the match history. wes is 5-1 v johnny the last six times they've met. he lost four times in a row before that but that's still a winning record, and it's becoming increasingly clear that wes has johnny's number.

wes has more to prove v lovage: he's 2-5 v oskie. 2-2 in the last four.

dunno about wes v fly. he's always johning like a noob v fly, trying to play falcon v him. falco ***** ICs. i don't wanna hear it.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
wes is definitely not lacking against marth. lol

that guy goes IN.

also didn't he beat tai recently?
i consider wes a FALCO main. Sure he can go falcon against people he knows will play a certain character, but is that really a reliable option? i aslo consider counter-picking your opponent before even starting the set pretty grimey.

eh i typed up a bunch but now im thinking i dont really know enough about the scene. im so out of the loop. id love to hear lovage/s2js actual opinions on it, i know they dont wanna come off salty or anything.

also you're adam right? youre alot more positive with your discussion, i don't feel so offended anymore discussing opinions. i like it!

D

Deleted member

yeah for sure, but with melee, you get all those negative quirks, in an abandoned ship. new games like in the FGC are still exciting and constantly have new updates in the scene, 1-2 regionals every weekend etc.

i also think ur insane to call wes best in socal and im not even keeping up with this scene. i guarantee oscar and johnny know this but don't wanna come off rude or whatever

i can easily agree he ****s up the heavy weight characters, and that looks great beating oscar/johnny/zhu(those past few tournies they played recently) regularly, but i think he lacks hardcore against the floaties and mid floaties (shiek/marth), he loses to people considered alot worse than him in those matchups, i assume that's why he goes falcon.

and this is no way a callout to wes, cause i think regardless he ***** like hell and i admire his playstyle, but i can still honestly say he's not above johnny/oscar.
"FGC" games are not exciting at all, let alone halfway good

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
"FGC" games are not exciting at all, let alone halfway good
i don't play KoF, but from my experience in watching that game, it is not that exciting. maybe if you understand it better, same with smash. i play marvel now, and it's impossible for me to say that it isn't the most exciting game out right now.

if youre doubting, i can show you some hype as **** matches from regionals every weekend.

there's also two $5,000+ money matches coming up in the marvel community, gonna be ridiculous. (i expect them both to be $20,000+ after sidebets)

as for good, i dunno your reason why you don't consider them good.

i'm not 100% if he went falcon, he almost always does against marth it seems

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Socal is so god damn spoiled

Jesus christ you guys make me sick

everybodys got their own standards..people don't wanna play the same people every week, and you can't help but get bored when you're alot better than the rest of the scene.

baka it's very easy to think like that when you actively play and love melee. i had literally the same exact mindset and never thought i'd touch a FGC game. now i play marvel all day.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Thats assuming that he only has ever played and loved melee.

You clearly state that everyone has their own standards, so whats to say that some people legitimately prefer melee to other fighting games.

I feel like you're dismissing his love for the game based on your personal ignorance in regards to your experience.

Lovage

Smash Hero
traah what a noobie

2d games blow lol, the only good ones are DEAD. both sf4 and marvel 3 make me want to put a gun in my mouth. much rather be playing an ancient game that's actually good than a new game that gets patched every 4 months with a million players that sucks fat chode.

and @adam i'm def not too salty to acknowledge wes's place at the top. he has been on me/johnny/fly's level for YEARS. now people are finally realizing it and expecting me to think it's a shock lol.

the only intention of my post was to let people know that me/fly/johnny/wes havn't been challenged at locals in a long time (lucky plays 1 local every 5 months, zhu/mccain only go to nationals.) and it makes it kinda a snoozefest. that's all. i hope you all continue to grind this great game and become really good players. until then i apologize for not being very enthused at local tournies.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
ive tried a few other fighting games, just wasnt fun for me, even after i tried to get a bit into it. i also agree with oscar, better to play a good game thats dying out that a new one that isnt fun.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
grind is the apt word oscar

i almost burned myself out. breaks are important

if i keep working hard and stay disciplined i'll be at your level soon enough

i understand the boredom (albeit on a much smaller scale) because 909 has never given me much of challenge

and you live more out of the way than anyone aside from santa barbara (who are a bunch of noobs anyway. and i say that with loving kindness, not malice)

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i'm not sure explaining does anything, especially at this point in your smash career. you take a look at yourself in the mirror and ask, do you really want it? will you sacrifice for it? time, money, relationships? pride, greed, ego? will you put in the work even when you hate to? are you doing it to get recognition? status? do you truly believe you're worthy of being the best?

just look around. i won't say any names but look at how many players become really good but never get to be great. (my definition of great = top 5 in the world for at least a year.) let's say you become the best. once you do, will you just quit? will you let boredom get in your way? what's your motivation? what will you do when your motivation expires? what habits are you creating? can you keep your eyes on the prize?

D

Deleted member

i don't play KoF, but from my experience in watching that game, it is not that exciting. maybe if you understand it better, same with smash. i play marvel now, and it's impossible for me to say that it isn't the most exciting game out right now.

if youre doubting, i can show you some hype as **** matches from regionals every weekend.

there's also two $5,000+ money matches coming up in the marvel community, gonna be ridiculous. (i expect them both to be $20,000+ after sidebets)

as for good, i dunno your reason why you don't consider them good.

i'm not 100% if he went falcon, he almost always does against marth it seems
traah you ****!

==

ok u may win in terms of excitement but the game itself SUX

being excited over a ****ty game= waste

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
I had literally the same exact mindset and never thought i'd touch a FGC game. now i play marvel all day.
Dam, stranger
Im sorry to hear that
must be a bunch of stiffs and borings you have playing melee in your region. . .
escpecially the falcon mains, i bet. . .

btw, hey JR
I saw your marth vs wes @ oxy
Its gonna be fun to play you again =D

. . . and dont listen to what tc1 may tell you. . . im gonna crush

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Actually, it's because he made an alt account to troll with.

Jonny is banned like 3 weeks out of the month anyways. You should be used to it.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
well it says he had 6 points from like all censor dodging. then he got 2 more for that lol.

og
First of all, this isn't correct. I'm not going to publicly discuss the details of the ban and there are some things you should probably review about infractions that you might not remember since it's been a while since you've been a moderator.

Secondly, I've infracted s2j enough times for him to know what I'll infract him for. I think he just doesn't give a damn.

Top Bottom