• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
my sheik ur marth $5

when i win that my sheik ur sheik $5

when i win that my sheik ur falcon $5

when i win that my sheik ur doc $5

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Gurl you cant be talkin about the panel and not expect us to come talkin back.

Lol@ Dajuan vs P - The Tie Breaker

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Joe - Hyuga and I weren't giving you flack at all. We were just giving our perspective and reasoning to why the Norcal PRs were the way they were. You're still the homie =)

Baka - There's less hype than 2007-08 when the original MMs happened. If Adam makes it close, then it'll be crazy.

Also, Lovage or whoever... We (norcal) would like a reasonably updated PR to determine seeding for the regionals.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
The rankings are dumb imo. I think the TOs need to recognize who's baller and seed them accordingly based on who's been placing top X for Y amount of entrants.

I don't know how you mothers seed but if you have a 34 man tournament and you need 7 bi's, the TO or anyone helping to run the tournament should know who the BAMFS are that entered and should seed them accordingly.

Since Jeff isn't ranked and is starting to go to tournaments again, I guess we shouldn't seed him right?............

Get rid of the rankings and I think everyone would be a lot happier. Unless smashers need the recognition of their peers to feel good about themselves. Just play the game ******s.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
We still seed Jeff even though he's inactive/unranked.
That's my point though Sheridan. We obviously know Jeff's good. We should all know who the best players are if everyone making the damn lists are truly "Active smashers" so there's no point in creating a ranking system for the purpose of seeding.

STOP IT SHERIDAN.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
The ranking system isnt created solely for the purpose of seeding, nor is it followed to the T when seeding.

Also, I think everyones forgetting that Dajuan and P had another MM after their first big one, and P won it. It was on some tv in the corner that wasnt being recorded and no one was watching it, but it happened.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i don't think a bunch of $5 mms are hype enough to go out of the way to be recorded

sure, if it's convenient idc, but if it's not it seems attention whorish.

plus there's a significant chance i get *****

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
NintendoKing - I totally feel you. Trust me, we don't use the rankings as the absolute truth. We would seed players such as PPU, Jeff, Lucien highly when they show up. However, it would help us in assessing people in the unknown range, esp for socal (Sung, Stabbed, etc...), since we have very little information on how to rate them if they come up. Inevitably, Lovage and Adam will probably need to give us much input when they come up in a month.

Shadrach - I have taken him to game 5 in several sets, you have a shot with sheik.

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah i think it's clear dajuan's weakness is sheik. he should pick up a pocket fox
dajuan's fox is aite
he fulljumps a lot but is still really fast, has good aggressive reads
he's likely to just switch to another char if it's not on point though

Unless smashers need the recognition of their peers to feel good about themselves. Just play the game ******s.
lmfao

they do though................................................................................

the main reason why i feel people like rankings:
a need for validation and self-importance

ratings suck ****

the unhappiest i have ever been in my life was when i was worried about "going up in the rankings," (oooh big ****ing deal) or going down. for srs

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If you look at the people on the current Norcal rankings (and Socal too, at least from what I'm aware of), most of them aren't the ones that are the most interested in the rankings. Though I am sure what you say may be true for some people.

Also I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a little validation from others, as long as one realizes that one's real goal should be playing their best and push the boundaries of their skill, and not a number. Rankings can be a helpful gauge to measure your own progress as long as you don't fall into the trap of worrying what others think of you based on a number.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
And you expect everyone to be on the same page with your logic and reasoning...

Obviously you may have supporters of your rationale but that doesn't mean everyone thinks about them in the same way.

I have an idea. We can take the top 4 players that consistently **** everyone in their entire region and host big tournaments where worthy challengers who have amassed the, shall we say, 8 necessary badges earned by defeating the bottom 8 players in the sub region who hold the badges (the bottom 8 players and top 4 are chosen by a panel of hobnobbing smash elitist who value their opinion above all others and use an inane and ill conceived logic to guide their judgement). If they can manage to defeat the top 4 players in the entire region, IN A ROW, they get to call themselves a smash master and COULD conceivably take the place of any of the top let's see... 12 player ranked positions in the region, provided the almighty panel knows what the **** their doing.

Just an idea.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
And you expect everyone to be on the same page with your logic and reasoning...

Obviously you may have supporters of your rationale but that doesn't mean everyone thinks about them in the same way.
That's their problem. Although perhaps we should do a better job of communicating just what the rankings mean.
I have an idea. We can take the top 4 players that consistently **** everyone in their entire region and host big tournaments where worthy challengers who have amassed the, shall we say, 8 necessary badges earned by defeating the bottom 8 players in the sub region who hold the badges (the bottom 8 players and top 4 are chosen by a panel of hobnobbing smash elitist who value their opinion above all others and use an inane and ill conceived logic to guide their judgement). If they can manage to defeat the top 4 players in the entire region, IN A ROW, they get to call themselves a smash master and COULD conceivably take the place of any of the top let's see... 12 player ranked positions in the region, provided the almighty panel knows what the **** their doing.

Just an idea.
I...what?
sick thinly veiled brag
I don't think so.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I don't have a sheik problem, Doc has a sheik problem.

My fox can't short hop out of shine enough to be used in tournament.

Lovage

Smash Hero
def. don't need a PR for seeding people at regionals

me or fly and NOT BAKA4MOE will be there at pool creation telling you how good everybody is dont sweat it

dajuan if you play marth for 1-2 more tournies its prolly over for you

and nah, not getting rid of the rankings, we're gonna give it an update fairly soon. as soon as socal players do anything update-worthy

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Sheridan apparently sucks at pokemon.

Also, the people who obsess themselves with their ranking (such as never going down or being afraid to lose to people below them) have their own problems, and I dont think the blame should be shoveled onto the rankings.

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah i should've said going down in the rankings

and i am serious lol
worrying about SFAT passing me up, in particular, like 2 years ago, made me absolutely insane

the worst part was that i knew it was ****ing silly, yet kept feeding back into itself. i wanted to play more smash to make playing smash worthwhile, so i could stay ahead of zac so i could do something that felt important, even though i knew it wasn't that important, which led me to want to play more smash to make it important......

knowing that i was the sole reason for making myself feel that way (obsessed, worthless, no skill, etc) made it so much worse

k maybe not absolute unhappiest, but probably like top 3 worst periods ever

there's no other single topic that i've ever thought about which made me feel so exactly, topically mad, frustrated, and self-defeatist than worrying about going down in rankings. as in: do this, feel bad. well of course, dummy

*shrug*

sheridan: i don't really think any amount of saying "just keep your chin up and play for fun and your own personal best" in the first post of the rankings can prevent people from thinking this way. it's way deeper than that; people with personalities prone to this kind of thing will do it regardless

edit: f u alan for ninja'ing me lol
i'm not trying to shovel blame onto the rankings (aka, i'm not trying to "shovel blame" onto you or sheridan or the ranking PANEL, obviously)
it's just that i think this is an inherent flaw in "ranking" things

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I feel like that mentality lies in the players not the system and therefore I dont think the rankings need to be gutted or changed because people obsess over them.

Theres prolly an analogy I could throw out but nothings coming to me atm

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i was priy sure u were serious joe but i made sure to phrase my post in a way that covered all options

option-select misnomer?

joeplicate

Smash Master
word lol

sorry for losing my cool a little bit
wrote a paper this morning so i'm in hyper-verbose, no-filter mode

will come back later with a coherent grievance ;)

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Finals time will do that to ya =/

Yea, I feel that your obsession with being better than Zac would have manifested whether or not a Norcal PR existed, since you would compare your wins/losses with Zac. Nonetheless, you learned about yourself through that experience! Stay awesome and hope you finish finals strong.

Violence

Smash Lord
I thought you didn't need to mod your Wii for it...

edit: I'm like 7 pages too late... I thought I was viewing the latest page

Anything I want to say about this topic has already been said so I'm gonna just scoot out of this topic.

*whoosh whoosh whoosh*

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
the unhappiest he's ever been in his life?

notsureifsrs.jpg
I believe it, taking into account most people's tendency for slight hyperbole.
Sheridan apparently sucks at pokemon.

Also, the people who obsess themselves with their ranking (such as never going down or being afraid to lose to people below them) have their own problems, and I dont think the blame should be shoveled onto the rankings.
Pokemon is for children and stupid people.

But yeah, I think regardless, people will make up their own (usually self-serving) metric in their minds for who is "better" and allows them to live with their delusion.

Tafokints mentioned that Joe learned about himself through that experience, and I think that's a very important thing to point out and understand what he means. A lot of people don't ever learn to overcome that frustration and become insecure bitter adults. Humans (most of them anyway) are competitive by nature, and I think engaging in things like sports or competitive gaming while you are young teaches you the lessons of how to take the good aspects of our competitive nature and discard the bad. The experience that Joe talked about (which I'm sure many others here including myself have also dealt with in some form) is one such thing.

Top Bottom