• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

baka4moé

Smash Champion
I have a couple questions. By community do you mean those that go to tournaments or everyone in socal that plays? (as in, for example, would someone from SD count? cause i'm not sure whether the opinions of those that don't attend socal tourneys anyway have as much weight as those that do). Second, why was there a top 20/15/10+ PR in several prior installments, but there is consideration for it to go away now? I just want to understand the reasoning behind the consideration for this specific update, since the PR has had at least 15 for ~3 years.

I'm for top 15, as I think it does more good than harm (if there is any).

MacD

Banned via Administration
start with 10 and see where that takes you. be a rebel and do like 11 or 13 if you feel there is someone there who deserves to be ranked, and maybe add a couple honorable mentions

i mean the 2 reasons we extended it in the first place was that no one was close to breaking in to our top 10, (barely even top 15), and for motivation. I was also so close to getting ranked it made me want to keep getting better (among the other reasons too).

i don't really know how all the almost ranked peeps feel, but

tl;dr don't feel like you have to cut it at 10. if you want to rank someone and we happen to have 12 then **** it

HairyNipples

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of top 15. Being top 10 with how stacked SoCal is, kinda looks unreachable for some and may discourage progression/motivation for some the players.

:phone:

CableCho57

Smash Lord
why not do use the same criteria norcal pr uses to be considered active?

"The basic activity criterion the panel uses for determining activity/rankability is participation in, on average, 1 tournament every 6 weeks for the ranking period, and continued residency and intent to continue attending tournaments in Norcal. Satisfying this guarantees being considered as "active." Not satisfying it does not necessarily guarantee being "inactive" however - exceptions may be made depending on specific circumstances. In the case of this period, 2 tournaments were required to be considered active. For a tournament to count towards the quota, it must have a minimum of 3 ranked players and 24 total in attendance, or the unanimous acceptance of the panel. The tournament you held with the local noobs in your dorm doesn't count."

And if you don't meet that criteria (pros like Hugs, alex19, etc.) you arent included on the pr

Like SS not being included in norcal's past update

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
For years and years people have talked about the Power Rankings somehow giving you more motivation.

I've never bought that. Motivation is more a habit than anything. You can get inspired for days and weeks at a time, but the drive is internal. Motivation only gets you so far. The day you start looking for anything other than enjoyment of the game to drive you is the day of your decline. It may not be seen for months or years, but it's there, and you will never get it back.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I think you could cite Dajuan as someone who took motivation from the PR, though he was pretty motivated regardless. I don't think the PR should be the primary source of motivation though so in that sense I agree with you; our sense of accomplishment in Smash shouldn't live and die by the PR, it is just a useful tool in estimating our progress, a means to an end.

The reason we cut it off at 10 for Norcal is primarily that we had several inactive players in that period and we felt like there was a notable skill gap after 10. Maybe we could have gone to 11 or 12 but it's easier to just stop at 10 or 15 than come up with a real rigorous criterion for when we cut it off. We are of the opinion that the list isn't just for us but also for other regions to be able to look at when they want to know the state of Norcal Melee.

I think Socal has enough people though that anyone in their top 15 would be a threat to the Norcal top 10 (and probably our top 15 in our next rankings), and that's a pretty good standard to maintain.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
power rankings are a great motivational tool for many players. I know for myself that moving up on the PR was such an amazing feeling. it would be an injustice to deprive other players of that inspiration and drive to get better.

top 15! lulz

Jun.

Smash Lord
@ Johnny here is what I'm talking about (according to the history in the first page)

Players from the extended who broke into the top 10:
-Wes
-Alex19
-S2j
-Eddy

Players who got ranked in the bottom and were basically never seen again* (debunking this whole motivation to improve BS)
-Romeo
-P
-Maple
-Pnoy
-Sunny
-W.A.S.T.E
-Sherigami
-Fiction
-Atlus
-HugQ
-Bizz Flame
-Kouryuu

*keep in mind things that are out of control such as players' relocations

This clearly shows that the longer of a PR you have, the more likely you're going to add in players that were solid during the ranking period but might go inactive at any moment, damaging the integrity of the ranking. The argument that the lower rankers got outplayed by the newcomers doesn't make sense either. That's saying that in 6 weeks or w/e the period is a player seemingly came out of NOWHERE to beat down someone in the allmighty Socal PR? It's more likely that Pnoy or Maple for example just stopped going out to **** cause they didn't care too much to start with. Just take a look at that bottom list and it speaks for itself.

but

I still vote for top 15 so I can beat someone who's ranked low and ****ing gloat about it like a *****. The best part of a extended PR imo.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
This doesn't prove much. Only goes to show that it's difficult to move to the top of the list.

Also beating a single person on the lower part of the list just once and gloating isn't the list's problem.

Jun.

Smash Lord
SD rears its ugly head. I've seen you in one tournament, didn't see you at road to apex and I've been to every socal tournament except like 2 in the past year and a half
huh? What do I have to do with any of this cool guy?

Shroomed

Smash Master
I'm going to go down on the power rankings for the FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF ME EVER BEING RANKED

That ****ing blows.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
I apologize I did act immaturely. I said what I did because you don't go to tournaments and so you don't really know the skill level/status of players (also because of the salt intake at Road to Apex). HugQ have been ranked once and he's been to 3 tournaments within this last month basically. Fiction too is going to more tournaments. If you really want a PR without a large skill gap then take everyone out after Lucky. Top 6 list, and I'm down for that too.

Nardis

Smash Rookie
Not that I ever post on here, but I've been reading through the last few pages and agree with MacD. Make a change, and see where it goes. Fix it if it needs fixing, and leave it if it seems to be fine.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i beat g$ and ambix, dunno if those are wins worth mentioning though...

****, so many if onlys

anyway just to add i think sung is not only the most active but is also (now?) **** enough/has credentials to be a solid panel member

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
lol people don't use the PR to motivate themselves because the Socal PR doesn't actually update. Norcal and AZ drew inspiration from their rankings because they didn't keep Azn_****ing_lep on their list 3 years after he stopped playing.

I don't really give a **** about this project because its mismanaged and helping with the smash database is what we should be more focused on, but if we are going to update it, it ought to be top 15 at least. Top 10 in socal are all national quality players. I don't see the purpose of listing it out; who doesn't know Lovage, S2J, Mango, etc are good at super smash brothers melee? The only people who actually ever care about their placing are the 10-20 guys, and frankly, Socal has a pretty stacked 10-20. I don't see the shame in listing them; our number 20 ***** most regions number 10.

If your goal with a PR is to motivate people, then make it a top 15-20 and update it every few months. If it is to list the "national-quality" players in socal, make it 10 and let the list rot until someone breaks into that tier. I think the latter is self-serving and pointless; other regions know our top 10 and listing them doesn't affect their impression of us at all. If thats actually your purpose though, then the PR is even dumber than I thought, but at least with top 10 you guys can be proud to call yourself ranked for the next 2-3 years without having Azn_lep in your company.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I'm sure hes a cool guy.

But the point is that though top 15-20 and constant updates is the ideal scenario, the way this list is managed, we have to settle for listing 10 so that someone who obviously doesn't belong on the list isn't on there 3 years from now.

D

Deleted member

azn lep pooped on me lol what an HONOR

==

socal is pretty divided on whether they want top 10, 15, 20 W/E

I propose TOP 15 and HONORABLE MENTIONS:

* NO RANKING PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT GO TO MORE TOURNEYS UNLESS THEY PROVE IT. (San Diego)

* NEW PANELISTS: ME, WES, FLY, SUNG MAYBE

* NEW RANKINGS WILL BARELY RESPECT PAST RESULTS MOSTLY 11-15, EXPECT PEOPLE TO GET MOVED FOR "BAD" LOSSES

* IF YOU CARE ABOUT WHERE U RANK THEN ARGUE UR CASE

* WE SHOLD UPDATE THIS SOON

Top Bottom