• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
1. Mango
2. S2J
3. Westballz
4. Fly Amanita
5. Lovage
6. Lucky
7. Stab
8. Fiction
9. sung
10. J666

D

Deleted member

1. mango
2. me
3/4. fly/wes
5. oscar
6. lucky
7. FOR THE GOOD "INACTiVES"- (eddy, connor, alex19, HugS). I consider them too good even in inactivity to be beneath stab
8. stab
9. fiction
10. sung

anybody who wants to get ranked give ur reasons why. You have to be legitly ranked. If you want us to rank top 15 convince us.

I am not convinced because bottom 3 is easily exchangable with anybody. Although I truly believe that Fiction is on the upswing if he doesn't choke on fat dix every tourney

who can get top 10? merc, joejoe, j666, anybody who is a contender in tourneys but has no stable results...

D

Deleted member

@j666, sung thats cool r u listing those people cuz you want a top 15?

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
If stab and I deserve to be ranked then I don't think those other guys are that behind

Plus if we were ranked then it would be top 15 anyway with the inactives

So yes top 15 because I don't think the skill level gap from the inactives to the bottom players is significant enough

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Don't rank me because I will be completely inactive the upcoming period.

Top 10 only imo:

1. Mango
2. S2J
3. Fly Amanita
4. Westballz
5. Lovage
6. Lucky
7. Alex19
8. Stab
9. Fiction
10. Sung

I ranked Sung over Baka 'cuz he's way more active = larger sample size to draw from. Maybe I should drop Alex and include them both, although I dunno who to place above the other.

Please no one should rank me but if you're going to at least do it with somewhat accurate results. I am 1-0 v J666, 0-0 v JoeJoe, 1-0 (maybe 2-0?) v HugQ, 3-3 v Sung, 0-2 v Stab, 1-1 v Baka, 0-1 v Alex19, 0-0 v Fiction, 0-0 v Merc, 0-1 v Dendy, 1-1 v Manatee. That's all off memory so some of that may be slightly off (I may be 3-4 v Sung, for example).

I don't think me, JoeJoe, HugQ, Merc, or J666 should be ranked at all. TL;DR version: have you played any of us?

Long answer: Me? Too inconsistent. JoeJoe? Needs six more months. HugQ? Consistent choker. Merc? Rarely shows up, hasn't had impressive results when he has (didn't make it out of pools at Rule 6, for example). J666? Talented but plays a gimmick character.

The next-best player who should be ranked is easily Little England, but he never shows up either.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Has Alex19 gone to a tournament? (Excuse my ignorance)

I feel like Stab established himself this period to be the clear #8 with Fiction being #9. I'm not sure if Stab/Fiction are as easily replaceable as others might make it out to be. They've been really solid and way more consistent than other people.

#10 is ultimately the debatable slot. Sung had some great results against people, but trades sets with people who would be ~#11-13.

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
Whether anyone plays a gimmick character or not shouldn't matter.
It should be based on wins, nothing else. As stated in the Rules on the first post of this Thread.

J.Shadows

Smash Champion
Fiction sucks he lost to me :p lol

also i've never lost to HugQ Manatee Dendy Joejoe never played merc.
I've has wins and losses vs Sung Stab Baka Fiction.

Also I think if Bimbo showed up to more tournaments he can easily get ranked.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Has Alex19 gone to a tournament? (Excuse my ignorance)
Yes. He lost to HugQ and beat me. That tournament was cold hand johns. Alex is like Fiction: way more talented than the Sung/Stab level of skill but hasn't shown up to much of anything.

I feel like Stab established himself this period to be the clear #8 with Fiction being #9. I'm not sure if Stab/Fiction are as easily replaceable as others might make it out to be. They've been really solid and way more consistent than other people.
Stab has a huge sample size and steadily increasing skill in his favor. Fiction is way more skilled than Sung/Stab/anyone else at or below that level of skill but has a very small sample size, and since he doesn't have a car/job I don't see how he'll be able to show up to a significant number of tournaments in the future. To that end I wouldn't mind if he didn't make the rankings.

#10 is ultimately the debatable slot. Sung had some great results against people, but trades sets with people who would be ~#11-13.
I believe Sung has the largest sample size, much larger than me/J666/Baka, and I would favor him over them by a mile.

Fiction sucks he lost to me :p lol

also i've never lost to HugQ Manatee Dendy Joejoe never played merc.
I've has wins and losses vs Sung Stab Baka Fiction.
imo you don't show up to enough tournaments, and when you do show up you don't separate yourself from the pack.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Merc is definitely good, he was in my pool for Rule 6 along with Dunskies and Brandon. Plus our set was incredibly close in the end though it is true that he doesn't have many results but he did beat me in tournament once and beat baka in pools once.

Tafo if we're talking about trading sets then Baka beat Stab in like the past 5 tournaments in a row and HugQ has like a 10-1 record against Stab and J666 goes completely even with him.

Baka would be next because he's the most consistent out of all of the lower ranked players. He convincingly beats Bizzaro Flame/Stab and his last set with Eddy was very close.

I was debating between J666 and Adam here
I put J666 next because he has taken sets from Stab and Fiction and all those other guys (Silly Kyle if it even matters..)
Then Adam who I definitely felt was on the rise and I'm kinda sad to see that you're goin to be inactive

I forgot about Bimbo but I would place him probably on Merc's level.

Then Joejoe. He's getting a lot better but the gap between him and Merc is significant imo.

List:
Baka
J666
Adam
Bimbo/Merc
Joejoe

baka4moé

Smash Champion
merc *****, i believe he just hasnt had much results and doesnt go to enough tournies.

i think the top players' order are pretty much set in stone, although i would definitely add eddie mexico, and technically connor, alex19, and zhu were active as well i guess. (if on, eddie should be above the stab/sung/fiction cutoff for sure). also macd and hugs, though idk if they're really gonna play much anymore.

this is just personal opinion, but i think sung is slightly better than stab. they are for the most part around the same skill level, except sung does better in certain floaty matchups and has a couple more results (like beating HMW).

i dont know how to objectively rank the lower end, and dont know if its even possible, but my records are for the following (and this is from the top of my head for the whole ranking period, so may be slightly off):
2-1 v J666, 4-0 v JoeJoe, 1-0 (maybe 0-0, but period before i was about 3-1 or something) v HugQ, 5-0 v Stab, 3-0 v Dendy, 1-1 v khepri, 1-1 v manatee, 1-1 v Adam, 1-1 v Merc. If it matters, my losses to merc, adam, and manatee were in pools, my win in bracket. Both my sets vs khepri were bracket. I have no idea what my record vs sung is, but i think we're about even give or take 1-2 sets at most; my guess is like 4-5 his favor. Never played fiction or alex19, id probably lose though. I have a single win vs. lovage and westballz but lost to them so many other times so idk whatever lol. All other losses this period as much as i can remember are from the top players, eddy/fly/s2j/oscar/wes etc.

I also beat Light at NYTE bracket and had a convincing win against Bizzarro Flame at GREV. My recent sets with fly and eddie were arguably close.

i think there should be top 15 to include the lower people, especially if we add connor/alex/eddie/zhu, since A) the lower ranked ppl are "beatable" yet still separate themselves enough from the rest of the community to distinguish themselves, and B) i agree with sung, i think the skill level between the lower ranked isnt big enough to include just one but not another. Both reasons are consistent with the purpose of the PR stated in the OP, though the first moreso.

My list would be, if we included most people:
mango
s2j
fly
wes
lovage
lucky
zhu
eddie
alex19
connor
sung
fiction - though ive never played him so this is just based of others opinions and tourney results
stab
baka
adam/j666

Then, merc/HugQ/joejoe etc.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Nah top 10 is good if you take out the inactives. Don't add me and the people comparable. I feel like it would cheapen the PR. As the best region in the world, we shouldn't have randoms on the PR. Just get better so expanding the PR is not just a gimme and instead it's a sign of vast improvement.

:phone:

Jun.

Smash Lord
For starters, Azn_Lep is on there rofl. I can't even remember the last time I saw him play and we go to the same school.

And the rest of the discussion (minus points made by Adam) is not quantitative in most cases and even if it was, it's about players who would most likely not even get noticed on the national scale. Other regions will look at the bottom half and ask themselves why the hell does the bottom half even exist if they can't keep up with our rankers. Motivation was apparently the reason but as the current PR stands, who's the last person that broke into the top 10 from the extended PR? S2J?

When it comes down to it the bottom half of the PR is basically a consolation prize for going out to a lot of tournaments and doing moderately well. It also exists because there is such a skill gap between the top and bottom and it would be a different story if our bottom rankers could beat other regions' top 10 but look at theirs its most likely not the case. Its also likely that if someone from the bottom move into the top 10, they did so because someone in the top 10 was inactive because this game is slowing down and not actually from beating them in sets.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
If by throughout the years you mean just this year, then maybe so. I think it has been fine prior to last update however.

Quantitative discussion (if i understand what you mean by that correctly) I think is made when the panel seriously starts thinking of a new ranking. As for being nationally recognized, I don't know how much that matters. Last I checked there aren't very many nationally viable players to begin with, and PRs of Norcal, Arizona, and Washington, for example, have players that arent locks for national bracket. It's a regional ranking, not a national ranking.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
well now that you actually explained what you meant in the post i was referring to with an edit right after you read my post... -___-

i think that point that i said still stands. its a given that there will be skill gaps between people in the PR. and, still observing the other regional rankings i mentioned--norcal, AZ, WA, and even OR and TX--its not uncharacteristic for a PR for the lower ranked to be unable to "keep up" with the higher ranked, although that too needs to be well defined. if by that you mean the lower ranked pretty much always lose to the higher, then sure you're right, but that applies to all PRs, and it doesnt mean that they have no distinction between themselves and the rest of the regional community.

as for motivation, you are not including the motivation given to the rest of the unranked community. people have been wanting to beat me/sung/stab/me for instance and have a goal to aspire to (adam, joejoe and khepri, for instance. and they are getting better). for the s2j example it seems from the OP it took him about a year to break top 10, and id say sung is arguably top 10 considering his recent results and (unfortunately) the lack of active talent.

regardless, at worst the PR does nothing, and at best it has a positive effect, so why not do it. thats how i (and i know a few others too) see it at least.

EDIT: ok since you're addressing what ive said by just editing, after i post, a previous post on the thread, this discussion is getting awkward, for lack of a better word. again, regarding your newest paragraph (the third one), i wouldnt consider consistent placement at top 4-10 at socal tourneys to be moderately good, relatively speaking (though thats subjective). Your second statement is just false. For example, I've beaten bizzarro flame and phil, sung's beaten HMW and sfat, stabs beaten sfat and vectorman. On third statement: that may or may not be true to some extent, but that does not take away from the fact that those that are lower are indeed improving, nor does it mean their efforts shouldnt be recognized (though what should be considered recognizable is again subjective). Other PRs also are affected by what you said--we see old pr members retire, and there are new members in its place. What happens in the socal PR is not unusual for a given PR.

ANYWAYS, I just hope we see an update soon. I've said a bunch already and given my numbers/results, just gonna leave it to the panel now, whoever they are.

D

Deleted member

To All Chumps Spewing Their Dribble

Merc is good enough to break into top 10, I've played with him enough to know he's got what it takes

I just need to give him more rides to tourneys because I'm all he's got rofl

as for rule 6 pools, someone running the tourney forgot to enter him in singles and he was slipped in after pools was made

objectively, he is pretty much 2nd seed material but w/e. I have my faith that he will prove himself soon, his lack of going to tourneys is what holds him back

--
the extended PR is a dumb argument. But it's even dumber to say that I am the only guy who broke into the top 10. From memory there is MacD and Eddy Mexico... and whos to say that sung/stab didn't JUST break into the top 10 from the "extended PR"?

Theres also Connor the Kid coming back, and he has what it tooks to poop on sung/stab IMO but I can't hold that against people who don't even show up to tourneys for years rofl

SO, do you guys even think before u make ur arguments? The only + to ur argument is that the PR is used for motivation but after we ranked San Diego they were never seen again..

==

sung gets better literally each time i play him, stab is also getting better too. Fiction also gets better each time I play him and although he's a known choke artist I only see him improving

baka4moe wants to get better too... sigh..

It's tough to say that people aren't motivated because THEY ARE...

now the question is whether it should be top 10 or top 15. I feel like top 15 is pushing it, but i'll leave it to the COMMUNITY to decide

And an update now wouldn't be so bad, if people don't belong in a certain spot they have to prove they can hang

==

edit:

lastly, the PR wasn't updated for a year because the top 10 more or less remained the same while the 2nd tier of socal players literally all kept winning/losing to each other and there was no clear victor literally in the past 12 months.

But now.. things are finally settling in so there's an argument for updating..

==

TOP 15 or TOP 10 COMMUNITY VOTE AND I'LL ASK FLY AND WE UPDATE THIS SHIET

Top Bottom