• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Rankings are becoming more and more pointless. As for the PR, I'm not sure how much motivation is being generated. As for ELO rankings, those are a ****ing joke that give noobs a reason to beat themselves off over a number.

Also...

Baka needs to calm down
and MacD > Wes imo lol

WestBallz

Smash Ace
@ little england saying that is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard next to mccain saying it.

@adam that might be dumber than little englands post i dunno

@mccain my results are better and i would be ranked higher so saying ur better has no meaning to it at least for me and the rest of the socal community.

****ing finally someone thinking straight...thanks stab lmfao ;P

Atlus8

Smash Master
A little spark of SoCal drama?!

Rarely played much this year so far, but I don't feel like I lost any of my skill! If I go to tournaments and lose, it won't be because I "lost" my touch, but because others have just gotten better!

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
A little spark of SoCal drama?!

Rarely played much this year so far, but I don't feel like I lost any of my skill! If I go to tournaments and lose, it won't be because I "lost" my touch, but because others have just gotten better!
same thing bruh

Lovage

Smash Hero
lol, mccains still pretty damn good, no need to disrespect him at all, but i'm pretty sure wes is better right now. thats the cookie crumbling for u

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
doesn't help that so few people posting in this thread possess the ability to articulate their thoughts, beliefs and emotions with even the slightest bit of nuance

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
my take on this is that the most recent conversation (wes vs. macd) answers the question posed by the conversation that took place before that (why even bother updating a PR)

cuz updating a PR periodically leads to drama/arguments and those are entertaining/potentially lead to hype lol :p

Lovage

Smash Hero
doesn't help that so few people posting in this thread possess the ability to articulate their thoughts, beliefs and emotions with even the slightest bit of nuance
what? it's just my observation from the crow's nest. i've played both in countless tourny sets, traveled with them to OOS tournaments and seen them perform, gotten ***** by them in nameless random locals.

basically i have a strong feeling of how good everyone is at this game, especially when i'm able to play and witness them so often (wes and mccain i've seen equally pretty much, wes is just newer school.) and i'm pretty damn certain wes is just a better player fullstop. mccain's still really, really good though! socal is just an insane region at how many national-contending players we have. out of practice or not (LUCKY, MANGO, HUGS)

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i respect everyone's opinion wrt anyone's level of skill. and i wasn't specifically referring to you. i was just saying youd hope the PR thread would have a higher level of intellectual discourse than "omg i disagree with ur evaluation so [ad hominem] "

unknownforce

Smash Lord
i respect everyone's opinion wrt anyone's level of skill. and i wasn't specifically referring to you. i was just saying youd hope the PR thread would have a higher level of intellectual discourse than "omg i disagree with ur evaluation so [ad hominem] "
Good point, but smashboards has long been a place where a discussion is won based on a players skill level rather than the validity of their points. Thus, ad hominem defenses are usually accepted if a player has a few noteworthy tournament wins. It's unfortunate, but you usually see a similar mentality even in professional games.

The only “fair” way of determining skill is tournament results, but even tournaments can be problematic. A player could get a bracket against their best or worst matchups, could have gotten lucky, could have been playing opponents who were having bad days, etc. An unbiased power ranking can only be achieved by actuarial methods over an extended period of time, but that will never happen in a community unless a ton of money is involved.

Wes and MacD should just have a huge money match. Isn’t that the old school method of settling these disputes?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i don't think it's remotely that serious to anyone, even wes. this is force-fed hype.

and if tournament results is what it's about, again, that's where elo comes in

im fairly sure macd's results in big tournaments are both more numerous and more impressive than wes'

MacD

Banned via Administration
forced huge money matches are stupid

unless both players have that drive to play each other and can both play under the pressure of the super hype

unknownforce

Smash Lord
sure personal exp is a part of it, doesn't change the fact that they are
I probably should have clarified that I wasn't saying a money match is actually a GOOD method of settling a dispute of skill. I think most of us would agree that money matches don't prove who the better player is.

It’s always hard to tell how serious people are online unless you know them well in real life.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
You guys need to update this shiz! I definitely want to visit SoCal sometime for a tournament and show y'all that my Peach is not a fluke!

:peach:

J.Shadows

Smash Champion
Idk why people care so much about the pr. I used to care but not anymore I know who I can and can't beat that's all that matter who cares about who is better than who just care about yourself.

:phone:

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
see, it's good to wait baka

my impressions:

- sung and baka are separating themselves from the 14-18 cluster
- wes is the best in socal

1. wes
2. s2j
3. oscar
4. zhu
5. fly

i cant accurately rank macd, eddy, hugo, lucky, alex, or larry. i havent played them and/or they've been inactive or

6. connor 7. baka 8. sung 9. stab 10. hyprid

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
wes has been convincingly beating johnny for the past 5-6 weeks, if not longer, iirc

i first saw it at ben's smashfest/impromptu tourny, which was back in december or january

i'm not sure if johnny has beaten wes since. i'm sure one of them will come in and clarify things but i'd be surprised if johnny has won more than once out of six attempts

from what i hear he ***** the **** out of oscar yesterday

my rankings were mostly based on my impressions after playing everyone, though. wes is suffocating. johnny's spacing is elite but his character is not, so he's not as suffocating. i haven't played oscar at his best but he's more precise than suffocating ime

i feel like wes' falco could four stock me anytime it felt like it. i don't think oscar and johnny could, although i'd like to see them try

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
oh, really? for some reason, i was under the impression that johnny and oscar both had significantly favorable records against wes. i guess i've just been living under a rock.

(p.s. johnny beat wes at WGF and APEX, so that's at least 2 times i guess)

i didn't know about him beating oscar yesterday, either, so i guess i'm just under a rock

oscar still seems like he's more consistent/has a better overall record, so it'll take me a bit more convincing to put him above oscar, but i'm a firm believer in oscar being top 10 in the world anyway

D

Deleted member

adam i already tell u when i beat wes in sets you seem to forget every week

in regards to me wes oscar ranking though, i sincerely do not give a ****. socal seriously bores me because since the last september update, nothing has changed.

NOTHING

YOU GUYS ARE ****ING BORING and/or SUCK

Lovage

Smash Hero
agreed

socal has been stagnant as **** ever since wes became good (like 2 years ago lol.)
no one has done **** since then and it's getting hella boring.

i have no motivation to take locals seriously cuz it's the exact same matches every weekend. i mostly will show up to get my melee fill (i'm good by the end of teams) and to see all the homies. sitting around waiting for people to get off a TV so everyone can get their set recorded so we can move forwrad in losers bracket so we can wetgwebygw0hg makes me fall asleep at tournaments lol.

i understand this really is first world problems, socal is still one of the best melee environments in the world and the competition is still THICK. problem is i've been here too long. i've been playing fly in finals sets at locals for like 3.5 years lol, i just want some variety.

Top Bottom