• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
so you'll give me 4:1 on tafokints taking > 2 stocks? how much

or something in the 2 to 3:1 range of a 3 stock?

edit: i'll also gladly bet on daniel in the match, but would like that sidebet too lol
i'll bet .01. stop being a dip****

daniel lee you're alright. you're def not in the same stratosphere as shephard. frankly i'd be mildly surprised if you could even beat me regularly. if that makes you salty well i'm sorry but the truth hurts. $100 on shephard you v shephard. if you want to protect your ego that's the only way you'll get action from me

and i'll cover anyone's sidebets who chooses to bet on daniel lee in any amount

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Let's do $200 then!

My Sheik vs Shepherd's Fox

BO5, standard ruleset

Edit: I am also sure there will be at least $300+ in sidebets from many people, so this will be the first $500+ MM in a longggg time in Melee

I'll also do $50 on myself
My Sheik vs your Fox, BO5
My Sheik vs your Marth, BO5

I don't do sheik dittos though

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
you need to calm down cuz

shephard doesn't travel

i don't really travel

smashers are like most humans and don't really give a **** about anything enough not to flake

so i wouldnt get your hopes up

dang when did your ego get so big? you need some perspective. that ain't kira

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Ah lame.

I thought we were trying to generate much-needed hype that the melee community needs.
This isn't an ego thing as much as it is generating hype and creating motivations for improvement.
Having the money matches would be one of the best motivators for me to examine match-ups and improve.

I have many other reasons for travelling to Socal in the next couple of months (business, weddings, etc...) and can do a pit stop to play.

My bet on myself vs Shephard still stands.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
motivation is overrated

ill spare you a further critique other than to say ill mm u in sheik dittos (kinda dumb to say you don't do sheik dittos; what, if you're in brackets and you run into a sheik you're just gonna forfeit? avoiding 'em just means u suck at em) for $5. u can chaingrab or not chaingrab, idc. i dont chaingrab tho.

i doubt shephard's rich so i doubt he's gonna be able to afford $100 to mm you but i don't doubt his willingness to mm you for whatever he can scrape up.

as for anyone putting $ on daniel lee,

obv everyone's flaky as **** but i'll have at least $100 stowed away for whenever they meet. if either of us isnt there when it goes down then obv i ain't covering **** and you ain't covering ****. so if it's in norcal there's <10% chance im there when shephard's there. and if it's in socal u prob wont be here so you can stfu (unless you feel so ridiculously confident in daniel that you want to do this via paypal or something in which case i would love to take your money because you are a terrible gauge of skill. i say that cuz you've never seen shephard play yet believe daniel is so good he stands a great chance of taking down socal's secret weapon despite daniel proving incapable of taking down elite talent)

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
he's getting better but this game is really hard and progress is gradual. progress is rarely linear.

he does a good job of beating who he's supposed to beat but he still has giant holes in his play style that are really hard to get rid of (virtue of the fact that he's been playing for years and still has them). until he solves those puzzles he'll be stuck in the category of good, but not great for a minute.

u can only get so far with jank and mindgames over skill. this ain't '06 and dat ***** ain't drephen

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
If you're going to go based on the friendlies that we played, all I can say is....

Am I obligated to play 100% hard in every friendly? I was under the impression that we were just kicking back and talking about random stuff (basketball, melee community, metagame etc...)

The only time I will go over 80% in a friendly is if someone really wants me to, otherwise I'm going to do experimental things and random crap because it is a friendly.

I'd be willing to bring $$ down from norcallers to play Shephard. The $$ and the commitment on my end (me + backers) will not be an issue. $$ is not an issue. Like you said, I'm willing to do whatever amount, but since you were so confident in him beating me, why wouldn't you want to raise up some dough if he's going to 2-3 stock me every game? It should be free, provided that no fluke happens.

Shephard is not elite talent. Like I've said previously, I don't doubt he's good, but I'm not going to ride him and say he's top 25.

If you think i'm side-stepping the sheik ditto, I'm willing to do it. I just don't openly seek finding people to sheik ditto for $$

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i base it off my flawed but advanced understanding of the game and my 6-7 years in the scene

it's just one man's opinion -shrugs-

$ is an issue for me. i have a lot bigger priorities than gambling on smash; if i really had money to gamble you'd see me at commerce and not posting on smash boards. i'm all over this because, at present time, if i bet money on shephard v you at present time it's like AA v AKo PF. but at the same time i won't hesitate to flake the **** out of this when/if this ever goes down for a multitude of reasons. idgaf

so it's more about pride to me. i like being right about my gauge of other people's skill. i'd like shephard get an opportunity to show the world how good he is. and i'd like to have a memory of figuratively laughing in everyone's face of the non-believers

(and your posts in this thread aren't doing you any favors because ego is never a good look. this is because hard work usually extinguishes ego, so if ur ego is only getting bigger over time then the work you're putting in is likely getting smaller. amongst the many examples in which your ego has been on display: "shephard is not elite talent." how would you know? the correct answer is that you don't know. but egoists are loathe to admit they don't know something)

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I kinda phrased that badly. I know you practiced and played a **** ton to get good at melee, but I do believe it gave you a solid understanding of pressure/spacing/other stuff. It's like switching from Street fighter to another fighting game, you still gotta put in mad work to get good at the other game but SF gives you an okay understanding of how to play fighting games nonetheless.

Oh yeah, I also failed to mention in my last post that Shep practices a lot lol
incorrect, 64 teaches you how to up-air 7x to up-b as falcon

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I feel like the last line could also be applied to what you've been posting as well. Until we actually play, we don't know if he'll win. We also don't know if he's an elite talent, until he plays against other elite talent. The burden of proof is on Shephard to actually play people. Until then, the assertion your making is the equivalent of me having a random friend who can beat __________. Although, this could definitely be possible, it's not going to be believable if I assert this to everyone else in the community.

I also don't see how ego and hard work are in a dichotomous relationship. Michael Jordan is a prime example of a player who has both.

I don't see how my posts exhibit too much hubris either. I offered a MM. I never mentioned that I was going to win or dominate in any. My assertion is not that I would win but moreso that I wouldn't get flat out dominated like you suggest.

PS:Don't get me wrong. I'd actually be happy if Fiction is as good as you say because that shows how good California is as a region that is sorely underrated by everyone that is not in California

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i'll bet .01. stop being a dip****

daniel lee you're alright. you're def not in the same stratosphere as shephard. frankly i'd be mildly surprised if you could even beat me regularly. if that makes you salty well i'm sorry but the truth hurts. $100 on shephard you v shephard. if you want to protect your ego that's the only way you'll get action from me

and i'll cover anyone's sidebets who chooses to bet on daniel lee in any amount
how am i being a dip**** lol? you want to throw out heavy odds, then i will take you up on them. don't claim he's going to do somethin 4 out of 5 times and then ask for even money lol

WestBallz

Smash Ace
wtf dantefox? come close? i had beaten him in 2 SETs AND I CAME FROM WINNERS!?!?! so first set was a 4-2 in a best of 5 which isn't possible(the set was 3-2 and fiction thought it was 2-2.so we played even another one). then he thought he won so i was like ur kidding so i got mad and then went to 3-0 him in the 2nd. sooo close would be the exact opposite. He beat my falcon once and beat my falco once. and not to mention i think i put fiction in losers....i probably actually 9-2 him in tourney that day

DJMirror

Smash Master
this mm will never happen since Shepard is stuck at Riverside and Adam almost never shows up to tournament.

Daniel, just ignore Adam, he just enjoy watching you posting back to him and he'll always come up with some excuse that will never make sense and contradict himself in the process.

But other than that

I have a $100 on Daniel Lee

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
remember when kira swore jason would get good

awwww man david was a great partner in crime

too bad he had to grow up and ****

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
if i'm saying anything that doesn't make sense then the problem is it's going over your head, which, when reading your posts, jason lam, isn't a particularly difficult thing for you to experience.

contradict is one of those words (like ironic and hypocrite) that most people incorrectly and inaccurately use

and kawaii i hope ur a girl because you have the most blatantly homosexual persona i've come across in some time

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
LOL I doubt anything is gonna happen. Shephard doesn't travel and I don't go to tournaments.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
yea if only an update would actually happen lol...it really shouldnt take that long imo

i also would really like to see this hype mm tho. i think connor would beat fiction so long as he doesnt choke. have limited experience with tafokints so cant say. then again i havent really played fiction in a long time so idk

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i personally would like one, it's been 6+ months now and the current list seems a bit inaccurate. i also know a few others have posted in the past few weeks expressing interest as well. there are also a few people who prob should be added and its nice to give them recognition imo

D

Deleted member

i personally would like one, it's been 6+ months now and the current list seems a bit inaccurate. i also know a few others have posted in the past few weeks expressing interest as well. there are also a few people who prob should be added and its nice to give them recognition imo
tell me exactly what happened that was groundbreaking from 9/3/2011 compared to now

unless u guys like some people moving up and down like 1-2 spots, then fine

baka4moé

Smash Champion
idk what u consider groundbreaking but im guessing no nothing "groundbreaking" happened. i just want to see an accurate ranking, thats all. most since, even if its just ppl moving up and down a bit, i feel like theres a good number of moving to be done, and a few ppl to be added. thats normally how most PR's are updated anyway

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ if that were true that would mean the current ranking is accurate, which isn't true

if u want interest, there's been some in the past few weeks/months:
is this outdated? expected to see lucky and wes higher. Assuming wes = westballz
i want an update
Update this already
Yo, when are you guys gunna update this thing?
just curious, how often do you guys update this?

seems a tad outdated but idk
Yeah, we can start discussion. It's hard to get the panelists together, so I'll just list a few options here and hopefully we can get everything sorted out soon:

1) Discuss this on a Facebook page mostly. I remember this suggestion coming up shortly after the last update; the only downside I see is that I wouldn't be able to directly take part, but as long as somebody could keep me in the know from elsewhere, such as AIM or PMs here, I'm fine with that.

2) Use the panelist group here. Since the social group structure on SWF blows, this probably isn't the greatest option, but it is one.

3) Have an AIM meeting. I like this option the most since we can get everything done in an hour or so, but we never had any success actually getting on at the same time when trying this last period.

4) Something else! If anybody has any other ideas, I'm all ears.
i know a few other people are interested (somewhat) as well but are too lazy to post =P

Lovage

Smash Hero
nice EVIDENCE those posts are like months old puh-lease

also starting to think we really don't need an update - ain't **** happened

Top Bottom