• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

baka4moé

Smash Champion
lol that theres been interest for an update for a while now (i think the earliest post i gave was two months ago, which if u think about it isnt that long ago, like 3-4 tournaments ago) as opposed to just this week further demonstrates that an update is indeed overdue. if some of the past panelists really just dont want to spend a couple hours then just reduce the number of panelists.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
interest yes, reason no

the changes that have occurred are so insignificant in the grand scheme of smash improvement. like, seriously. come on now. tbh you don't need to update a PR more than twice a year.

in general i think "we" (well i once was a panelist many moons ago so i guess we) dumb down reality too much in bite-sized pieces so less dedicated players have something to shoot for in a deluded belief that it helps grow the community

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I could possibly. I have to be in San Gabriel by 1:30pmish for a wedding though. Is it near the area?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
kfc is a natural talent at this game. (seemingly) a little bit of practice and he's a monster. dunno if he can deal with the pressure johnny/weston can bring but he's def on connor's level. i dunno how good he is in other matchups but he's a beast v fox, falco and sheik

D

Deleted member

kfc has the most godlike movement with fox back in the day maybe he still does now

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
for the most part i dont play fox anymore unless im screwing around in friendlies or vs comps

i like to think a lot of my fox skill transfered over to my marth though...

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i guess the elo is getting a little better. just looking at active (for me, i used the criterion that you played at least once since january) players, the top 15 is:
1. Mango - 1997
2. S2J - 1852
3. Lucky - 1851
4. Lovage - 1828
5. Zhu - 1798
6. Fly Amanita - 1759
7. MacD - 1723
8. Eddy Mexico - 1719
9. Westballz - 1677
10. HugS - 1664
11. ConnorTheKid - 1582
12. baka4moe - 1506
13. Hyprid - 1484
14. Stabbedbyanipple - 1468
15. Sung666 - 1466

which is kinda cool cuz u can see/gauge the skill gap from really good players vs decent players. it seems sorta accurate, although maybe there should be a few 1-2 spot moves here and there (like i think wes should be higher, for instance). definitely seems like an ok starting point for now.

DJMirror

Smash Master
you forgot that it's not that accurate because Hyprid sometimes enter as GMhyprid and sometimes Connorthekid goes as Connor or other names. Stab isn't always stabbedbyanipple or Sung666 isn't always Sung etc.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
you forgot that it's not that accurate because Hyprid sometimes enter as GMhyprid and sometimes Connorthekid goes as Connor or other names. Stab isn't always stabbedbyanipple or Sung666 isn't always Sung etc.
Well then they should tell them to fix that lol

Its pretty obvious that the SSBPD is here to stay and going to be a major part of our community going forward...every smasher has an obligation to help it grow.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
The database takes care of this already. If u search for "Sung" or variations of "Stab" or "Stabbed" etc they are not in the system anymore. Those who take care of it are aware of the different aliases and change them when they see them or when other people point them out. (they just change the tio file and/or tell uploaders to change the names appropriately). Same with me, I entered as "baka" a few times, and they made it under "baka4moe". I guess the only problem is that they didnt catch "GMHybrid", probably cuz theres a b instead of a p, but i told them about it so it should be ok soon enough

if you look at connor and gmhybrid, they only have one tournament that happened years ago, so id say the elo values for the top 15 are pretty accurate right now

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ then what would your rankings look like wes? i admit that list is different from what i would put too (of course my list is biased, and id suspect urs would be too), but its not too far off imo, especially if we consider a noticeable chunk of socal talent is inactive. for instance, one change i said id make is put u higher lol.. i also certainly dont think the ideal list is not "nothing like" the one elo has.

i think where to put lucky and zhu would be the hardest placements to make

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
baka has a point. elo is objective as *** and i agree with that top 15 wholeheartedly

and wes you're just being emotional. i've been inactive for a minute but my emotion memory banks tell me you haven't been elite as long as someone like johnny or lovage or fly. so that's why your ELO is lower. and you'd have more of a point if you didn't just friggin lose to silly kyle and light.

but it's funny because the sheer existence of ELO negates the need for an updated PR

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'm pretty sure wes still thinks he should be higher than me for some weird reason

i consistently beat fly when he was the best active in so cal. doesn't mean i deserved to take his spot

just cause you beat johnny sometimes doesn't mean you deserve to be right below him, especially after arizona, fluke or not

DanteFox

Smash Champion
yeah even if certain posters like lovage and wes and johnny don't want to have their fragile egos bruised by an updated PR, ELO means we can do it without a need for their human biases.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
dunno if dante is trolling but oscar and johnny strike me as two of the most unassuming smashers

johnny has an ego but it's low-key and accurate. oscar does not give a ****. wes both does not give a **** and has a huge ego. that's what makes him funny as ****

WestBallz

Smash Ace
Mccain its quite clear im better than u....ur ego just holds u back from accepting the truth.
My tourney results including the dumb az tourney one still show im better than u. Even with my Elo being lower than urs doesnt matter cause recent results are the ones that only matter.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah even if certain posters like lovage and wes and johnny don't want to have their fragile egos bruised by an updated PR, ELO means we can do it without a need for their human biases.
wtf lol

i've been playing this **** for like 5 years you HONESTLY think i give a fk about my local ranking LOL (btw elo rank and current rank are the same, so what are you even trying to say lol)

D

Deleted member

i've stopped caring about where i rank among socal peers lol long azzz time ago

Morin0

Smash Lord
Not on the list? Not ranked as high as you wanted? MacD sucks? You better step it up and start beating the players ranked higher than you if you want the prestige of saying you're in SoCal's elite. Now that we have an official PR, and no one is going to agree with every placing, its time for every player who isn't happy with their placing to shake up the Power Rankings and show us what you're made of =D
In a tournament setting? Seriouslies? IMO, I would care more about beating people in general rather than worrying about my ranking in my area. And even then, I would not care much about my ranking in the database website where I assume it ranks everyone?

Kira-

Smash Champion
My opinion doesnt mean anything but,

all rankings are a joke, especially power rankings

elo rankings, done correctly (which is already subjective), give a very general idea at best

but none of it matters AT ALL compared to what actually happens. If you win a tourney and they rank you at 17th, nobody will care about the rankings. If you're ranked 1st and don't make it out of pools, nobody cares about the rankings

baka4moé

Smash Champion
as for why to update, it was my understanding that part of the reason of having a pr is to motivate people. from what i understand it motivates some people cuz they want to get on, and motivates others cuz they want to stay on and move up etc. for me at least, this has worked (and still does; ive only been in the competitive community for a young 1.5 years now and i want to keep growing as a player), and im assuming it works for a others too. another reason is to not only there to give others in the melee community an accurate idea of who to look out for, but also to "officially" recognize people for their efforts (even if you may not care, some people do). seven months for an update is pretty long, and we'd presumably want to give (and note) an accurate representation of whats going on. and some people dont care, in which case, there shouldnt be any problem in going ahead and updating it; it really doesnt take much effort to do so, and if the ranking is "off" for those who dont care it shouldnt matter anyway, if that makes sense.

Morin0

Smash Lord
as for why to update, it was my understanding that part of the reason of having a pr is to motivate people. from what i understand it motivates some people cuz they want to get on, and motivates others cuz they want to stay on and move up etc. for me at least, this has worked (and still does; ive only been in the competitive community for a young 1.5 years now and i want to keep growing as a player), and im assuming it works for a others too. another reason is to not only there to give others in the melee community an accurate idea of who to look out for, but also to "officially" recognize people for their efforts (even if you may not care, some people do). seven months for an update is pretty long, and we'd presumably want to give (and note) an accurate representation of whats going on. and some people dont care, in which case, there shouldnt be any problem in going ahead and updating it; it really doesnt take much effort to do so, and if the ranking is "off" for those who dont care it shouldnt matter anyway, if that makes sense.
That's actually a good point. I forgot about this aspect in why rankings exist in the first place.

@DJMirror

It sort of is. If Hugs decided to run a thread that ranks players then he kind of has a responsibility to keep it updated (whether the rankings should be updated after X amount of months then that's a different story). If he doesn't want to keep it updated, he should let people know so someone else can take the job.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
baka, it's all fine and dandy you feel that way but that doesn't sound convincing enough for you to go out of your way on a rampage to convince everyone else to feel that way

baka4moé

Smash Champion
@adam, im not trying to make others feel that way, im just saying we need an update. if some people dont care to have one, then they shouldnt care if we actually do have one.

@jason, somehow spending 1-2 hours (possibly even less) on something ~3 times a year does not seem that taxing of a "job" to me. id be more than happy to help too, but i believe we need some of the active upper talent (like fly or johnny) to make a list more credible

!Peligro!

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling you're not going to convince anyone to do a PR update Baka, but despite a lot of people knocking ELO the list you posted is very consistent with what an "official" list would look like. You might as well go off of that.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
lol elo is a terrible way to gauge skill for this game, elo is a good way in determining over all skill but i mean look at what elo rlly is used for. its mainly for chess where skill is hardly ever lost but if u look at videogames where elo is used, it usually gets reset. if u guys rlly knew how to make a proper elo list i guarantee the list baka used wouldnt be the same. how come westballz is low when he beat zhu twice recently, how is it macd is high when he has been pretty inactive recently, how is stab that low even tho he has had pretty strong showings. u rlly hav to understand how elo works b4 using it as a method of ranking bc it isnt just one specific system.

as far as rankings go i doubt there are that many changes, and even tho i agree with baka in that rankings inspire ppl to do bttr there arent that many ppl who are in that category and should be ranked.

but then again no1 rlly knows me or cares lol

Top Bottom