• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panix

Smash Ace
how can i approach with snake well against diddy, or with any character approaching diddy.
His bananas are ****ed.
for every banana he throws, throw a nade back at him, HE will have to approach close with nanners.

if you want to approach...shield and space with ftilt.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
how can i approach with snake well against diddy, or with any character approaching diddy.
His bananas are ****ed.
pick up bananas with mortar slide

unless your fighting ninja link or some really good diddy...srsly all diddys pull banana, throw banana, and then either grab or cartwheel. sometimes they dance around a bit to mindgame you, but most diddys will not approach you until after throwing a banana

shield the banana throw, and roll backward and jab/grab the missed grab

you'll be surprised how often that works

i also imagine that you could shield banana, and then SH b-air over whatever he does although I haven't tried this much

character with good aerials can do stuff like that though.

Panix

Smash Ace
Teach me how to beat a fox, I really have no clue on how to approach him. his lazers > greater then nades, his Usmash rivals your utilt and his dashattack > utilt > u smash combo brings you to like 60.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@the1janitor: good diddys will throw bananas at your feet or at your head. either way, you cant even power shield them. mortar slide is only good for picking up bananas when he doesnt have one and/or when you wont reach an edge. otherwise you'll eat a banana while youre busy lagging and get comboed. mortar slide as an approach is really punishable. use it sparely. and if diddy cartwheel cancels to utilt, you have only about 3 frames to shield grab or attack. its extremely difficult to punish if diddy does this properly. his cartwheel cancel to grab is equally broken.

@panix: learn to di. fox's utilt only locks for a little while. id avoid using nades, just cause of that laser. approach with sh air dodges and punish anything he does in retaliation. utilt owns his aerial approaches, ftilt owns his grounded ones. so long as youre not normally too reliant on nades, its really not that difficult a match (unless youre versing one of those top tier hardcore japanese foxes :p)

Zhamy

Smash Champion
learn to di. fox's utilt only locks for a little while. id avoid using nades, just cause of that laser. approach with sh air dodges and punish anything he does in retaliation. utilt owns his aerial approaches, ftilt owns his grounded ones. so long as youre not normally too reliant on nades, its really not that difficult a match (unless youre versing one of those top tier hardcore japanese foxes :p)
Not how you should be playing the matchup. (Also, Panix, weren't you the guy that just posted this: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7370009&postcount=51 )

Oh, the irony.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I lulz'd at this.

@Panix

I'll PM you my way of beating Fox's. Can't let them catch on to me :p (aka: Not for public eyes)
Haha, it's okay. Fox boards are going to keep their Snake strategies secret too. =P

I had a question regarding the ftilt, uptilt and jab. When it hits someone's shield they typically slide backwards some distance. What determines how far they slide? Is it the move, weight? Or in Dr. Weegee's case he always slides too much.

Teach me how to beat a fox, I really have no clue on how to approach him. his lazers > greater then nades, his Usmash rivals your utilt and his dashattack > utilt > u smash combo brings you to like 60.
I remember when I could uptilt chain anyone and then upsmash for good percents. Then people learned to DI down & shield or DI up and aerial attack. :(

Jupz

Smash Master
I've just recently picked up snake and looked at this thread, just getting a little confused as people are talking about Jab>fmash and stuff. just wondering is there any special technique cause i cant do this stuff :(

thanks in advance!!

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I've just recently picked up snake and looked at this thread, just getting a little confused as people are talking about Jab>fmash and stuff. just wondering is there any special technique cause i cant do this stuff :(

thanks in advance!!
The jab is the 1st 2 hits of the AAA combo. Beginners tend to just mash the A when they land a hit. So instead of doing that, hit A once and do a cstick smash to get the smash out asap.

Jupz

Smash Master
Yeah I know about that but I though it was easily escapable? Sorry for my ignorance, i've only just picked up snake and no-one uses him in my area. :p

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Extremely easy to avoid.

The only time it should work is if:

1. Your opponent just landed on the ground and you tip the jab in such a way to Jab Lock them.
2. You were spaced well enough for Fsmash to hit (walking forward a step or two may be needed)

Only time it would realistically happen. Also the Jab Lock with Snake is really hard. :x I've done it like 3 times since I picked up Snake in October of last year.

mofo_

Smash Ace
which is the best move for momentum cancel/DI or whatever.....
i hear people saying use dair, but some say uair or even bair

Panix

Smash Ace
Not how you should be playing the matchup. (Also, Panix, weren't you the guy that just posted this: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7370009&postcount=51 )

Oh, the irony.
Yea, I posted that. But people don't understand.

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL SNAKE PLAYER

I Don't know all the little unimporant match-up's.

If i really wanted to beat a fox, I know pickachu and ZSS pretty well.

But over Wifi I only can play snake.

@mofo- Side KB - Air dodge+jump with quater circle DI.
Up KB - Bair with di down.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
So, you were wrong, but that is ok because you don't want to be correct?

Anyways, can Marth or MK UP OOS between hits of the f-tilt?

SuSa

which is the best move for momentum cancel/DI or whatever.....
i hear people saying use dair, but some say uair or even bair
Read reply below.

Yea, I posted that. But people don't understand.

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL SNAKE PLAYER

I Don't know all the little unimporant match-up's.

If i really wanted to beat a fox, I know pickachu and ZSS pretty well.

But over Wifi I only can play snake.

@mofo- Side KB - Air dodge+jump with quater circle DI.
Up KB - Bair with di down.
Could have sworn it was Uair. but... I can't remember (wheres are frame data. lol) but otherwise this is correct.

KB = Knocback

So, you were wrong, but that is ok because you don't want to be correct?

Anyways, can Marth or MK UP OOS between hits of the f-tilt?
Bufer.

mofo_

Smash Ace
airdodge+jump?
hmmm is it jump while doing an airdodge, so its like a rising AD? or airdodge then jump? pretty sure its the latter , but you never know

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i've recently been debating on dropping MK for snake (top tier ftw :p) and i've been trying to momentum change. you know, like when you use a grenade and yoru momentum like shifts. razer always does it

at around 0:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQ4UcvNkHg
see that momentum change? im not sure how to do it. i nkow how to do Breversal, but it just turns me around, no momentum change. any help?

SuSa

You have to do it with forward momentum, press B, then press towards your back quickly.

B-reversal is used to describe using B backwards (no momentum change) and the 'pseudo b-sticking' where it does change momentum. Both are done different ways.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
People seriously need to learn to read/search. This question has been answered SO many times. In fact, it was even answered 3 posts above yours. Was anyone making that new Snake Q&A/FAQ? That would help so much. If no one wants to, I'll start on it tomorrow.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Also, if anyone would like to make some sort of Snake social thread.
It's just that I find it kind of nice.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I need to start posting here more...

is it possible to play snake effectively without his tilts?

Just to talk about the discussion. Does Ftilt both hits to immediate ftilt both hits again have less lag on the hits then simply doing Ftilt both hits to anything else?

Everytime I ftilt both hits they miss and ftilt again it seems to happen a lot faster than when I ftilt both hits into a jab.

I need to start posting here more...

is it possible to play snake effectively without his tilts?
In other words is it possible to play Snake without Ftilt or Uptilt xD

I would say yes, it is possible to play without heavily relying upon them. Why would you ever not want to use them a lot? You just lose out on a good portion of Snake's abilities by not using them.

napZzz

Smash Hero
IMO snakes a character with a decent learning curve behind him. There are snakes, and then there are the good snakes who can play him right. The difference between badly spaced tilts and set ups and well....not makes the difference.

probably one of the harder characters to learn well

SuSa

Snake is one of the hardest to play well, that's why I can only name like 4 great Snake players. (Ally, Razer, Afro, crap....make that 3 that I can list without really thinking)

Now lets see MK:
M2K, Dojo, Plank, DSF, Spam, others I can't think of right now because I need sleep.

Snake at a beginner level:
omfg A button and tilts \\srsly.

EDIT for IxxI

1. Pivot grab from shield boy... pivot grab is the ****.

2. That Falco was horrible at camping. Lasers > Grenades unless you do really well or the Falco messes up. However you can just crouch and force an approach.

3. Practice the dthrow tech chase...

4. Wiffail

IxxI

Smash Fence
Camp with nades' space with ftilt.
No seriously, Snake is pretty tough at a higher level. Everything has already been mentioned above.

Edit: Anyone critique me? =D

IxxI

Smash Fence
Snake is one of the hardest to play well, that's why I can only name like 4 great Snake players. (Ally, Razer, Afro, crap....make that 3 that I can list without really thinking)

Now lets see MK:
M2K, Dojo, Plank, DSF, Spam, others I can't think of right now because I need sleep.

Snake at a beginner level:
omfg A button and tilts \\srsly.

EDIT for IxxI

1. Pivot grab from shield boy... pivot grab is the ****.

2. That Falco was horrible at camping. Lasers > Grenades unless you do really well or the Falco messes up. However you can just crouch and force an approach.

3. Practice the dthrow tech chase...

4. Wiffail
1. I used to pivot grab a lot, but I thought I was overusing it. So pivot grab Oos?

2. Forgot about crouching for some reason. =O
Thanks.

3. My friend used to do other things for dthrow tech chases, he changed it up in these matches. I'm not so used to it as before. Thanks for the heads up though. I realized that I need to predict better.

4. Of course. :laugh:

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
People seriously need to learn to read/search. This question has been answered SO many times. In fact, it was even answered 3 posts above yours. Was anyone making that new Snake Q&A/FAQ? That would help so much. If no one wants to, I'll start on it tomorrow.
Hao do I B revursal?

lol jk

So it appears that N-air is actually a usable move vs Meta Knight. lol

I always thought Meta Knight could roflstomp anything Snake is trying to do in the air, minus a well timed / spaced U-air or B-air.

I have been experminenting with N-airs on the fall (instead of on the rise / apex of a jump, aka when you do it off the ground to get all the hits, but instead as you come back to stage when recovering) and it seems it is actually a good mixup for Snake recovering, even versus Meta Knight.

Also, when Snake recovers high and Meta B-ups, then assume he misses, but tries to chase you with the glide attack, nothing Snake does can beat it right?

I've tried airdodging it but good Meta Knights do so much to make sure it hits, because if they miss that's a free hit, and at high %'s versus Snake a free hit means a death.

I was wondering, it would be hard to do but would a B-reversal be a viable and smart way to avoid this? It would have to do a lot with the direction you are going in and the direction Meta is flying.

It is very possible you'll just change your momentum right into the ****.

*rant / thoughts concluded*

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Hao do I B revursal?

lol jk

I always thought Meta Knight could roflstomp anything Snake is trying to do in the air, minus a well timed / spaced U-air or B-air.

I have been experminenting with N-airs on the fall (instead of on the rise / apex of a jump, aka when you do it off the ground to get all the hits, but instead as you come back to stage when recovering) and it seems it is actually a good mixup for Snake recovering, even versus Meta Knight.

Also, when Snake recovers high and Meta B-ups, then assume he misses, but tries to chase you with the glide attack, nothing Snake does can beat it right?

I've tried airdodging it but good Meta Knights do so much to make sure it hits, because if they miss that's a free hit, and at high %'s versus Snake a free hit means a death.

I was wondering, it would be hard to do but would a B-reversal be a viable and smart way to avoid this? It would have to do a lot with the direction you are going in and the direction Meta is flying.

B-reversal, recover higher, or I think you might be able to get bair to clank with it? Idk because aerial moves usually don't have priority but glide attack had weird properties.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Just to talk about the discussion. Does Ftilt both hits to immediate ftilt both hits again have less lag on the hits then simply doing Ftilt both hits to anything else?

Everytime I ftilt both hits they miss and ftilt again it seems to happen a lot faster than when I ftilt both hits into a jab.

In other words is it possible to play Snake without Ftilt or Uptilt xD

I would say yes, it is possible to play without heavily relying upon them. Why would you ever not want to use them a lot? You just lose out on a good portion of Snake's abilities by not using them.
the people i used to play with i'd form habits of annoying them and i forget i have amazing tilts but i just wanted to know what people say... i tend to use the b button my jab and tilts and thats like it >.< i need to learn how to deal with being in the air and using his aerials

napZzz

Smash Hero
Hao do I B revursal?

lol jk

The B reversal sounds like a good idea to a avoid it unless it will put you far enough off where you cant recover, idk when you would already have used your cypher and be that far offstage anyways lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom