• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toneh

Smash Lord
I answered you.
what, where is the list of characters??
The last thing you said was this,

When tech chasing, if you boost grab you may grab past them. If you try to run and pivot grab, they have time to jab you. If you run and try to boost pivot grab, they can jab you.
The question is, which characters are you forced to do a boost grab when tech chasing in order to regrab (when they roll away).
Snake, lucario are 2 of them. Marth possibly too. Fox/peach im not really sure about. Plus everyone else.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i finally got those vids of me and that mk... please give advice. my first experience and i almost had him. not my best exactly, but i suppose mk can do that to people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_v3il5F1Q&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSAZB9_HkrQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66I1p...e=channel_page

i ended up losing to a diddy too, but im not fussed cause i normally beat him.

any advice would be appreciated. except me blowing up a c4 i was standing on. i swear my y button failed O_o
any more advice? only two people have responded...

and can someone please sticky a wavebounce thread. quite sick of these questions

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Just jump and throw it backwards. That's the only way I know of to immediately throw it backwards when you're running. . . Unless you're talking about wavebouncing, which doesn't fit the whole running part of you're description..

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I see people pull out a grenade in mid-air, and they suddenly pivot and get a boost in the other direction they were facing.

What do you call this technique, and is there already a guide somewhere to learn it at?

Panix

Smash Ace
Sometimes I see people pull out a grenade in mid-air, and they suddenly pivot and get a boost in the other direction they were facing.

What do you call this technique, and is there already a guide somewhere to learn it at?
B-reversal, pull out a gernade and then immediately press the opposite direction of your momentum.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble edge hogging. Sometimes I can get it where I fall off and Snake immediately grabs the ledge but most often I just over run. Little characters like MK seem to be able to grab the edge jsut by running off. What should I be doing with the control stick and when to immediately grab the ledge?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Run off the edge and right as you fall of the edge rotate the joystick down and then back towards the edge. So basically, just fast fall once you get off the edge and hold back.

If you don't fast fall it before holding back you won't be low enough to grab the edge before the momentum carries you too far away to grab it. Once you get it down it'll just become instinct and you won't have to think about it ever again.

Snare

Smash Lord
i dont play snake and i probably never will (just too odd of a style for me) but has anyone ever tried using the cypher as an attack?

like after an u-tilt that sends them way up screen, sh cypher air dodge and just keep sending them up after the guy to force a set up?

IxxI

Smash Fence
i dont play snake and i probably never will (just too odd of a style for me) but has anyone ever tried using the cypher as an attack?

like after an u-tilt that sends them way up screen, sh cypher air dodge and just keep sending them up after the guy to force a set up?
Not really. D:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just wondering if anyone else knew this.

If Falco uses his sideB to return to the stage, nake can grab him out of it while he's using the sideB. The grabbing thing was cool enough, but when I did it the first time...

----- Ok, so me and my bro were playing a friendly at home. He was falco, I was snake. I don't know what I was thinking while my bro was recovering from offstage, but I decided to grab him if he sideB'd, since I usually find myself utilting it. SOOOO... I went for a grab. And I DID catch him! However, his phantasm hit me and I instantly released him, sending him in a downwards diagonal direction away from the stage.

Now, the cool thing is that he used his second jump recovering, so his only option now was upB, it was the ONLY thing that would be able to reach the ledge. So, once saw him starting the upB, I proceeded with edgehogging... And it worked! (Although i got overexcited and jumped out too fast, letting him grab the ledge before he fell to his doom) -----

SO, my question is this... Anyone knew this before? The timing for the grab isn't difficult at all, and I've done it a few times already ON PURPOSE, meaning it's not situational, you just have to know how to predict a falco's recovery.... Which isn't a Rubik's Cube if you ask me.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Sounds like you had a lower port number so the side B still hit you out of the grab and he broke at an odd angle

Grabbing Falco out of a side B is well known

whats new here?

Toneh

Smash Lord
The question is, which characters are you forced to do a boost grab when tech chasing in order to regrab (when they roll away).
Snake, lucario are 2 of them. Marth possibly too. Fox/peach im not really sure about. Plus everyone else.
Im guessing no one knows this...?
Gonna have to figure it out whenever my wii gets fixed lol.

Tony you suck! LOL
ahaha, IC player!!
They get mugged around these parts of town

I'd help, but I still cannot get the boost grab to happen at all. Reminds me of trying to get the chain jacket to work.

I was wondering about the decay effect of the grenades? If the grenade hits someone they take damage, is that considered one hit? Also, if the grenade doesn't explode the opponent, but on yourself will that decay the grenades?

Do we have a guranteed jab > fsmash? When someone is put into the "forced get-up" from the jab I thought fsmash came out quickly enough that they couldn't shield it.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
If you want to help me test, I can boost grab just fine.
We should also test the other things that you talked about.

IxxI

Smash Fence
which way can u di/sdi out of snakes jab.ftilt.ftilt?

can u di/sdi for snakes ftilt.ftilt?

and whats a good CP for MK?
I SDI away from the jab most of the time.

Same with the ftilt > ftilt.

For Metaknight I usually CP Smashville, and Halberd.
Smashville is just because I control the stage pretty well as its pretty small.
Halberd for the low percent kills.

Just be careful not to get caught in uair strings on Halberd, that will screw you.

SDI left or right in an attempt to get out.

Don't CP battlefield, you'll be screwed lol.

If you want to help me test, I can boost grab just fine.
We should also test the other things that you talked about.
Sure, I'll help with whatever I can. Homework has gone down.

And the whole Single Jab > forced get up > fsmash is viable. If you are really quick you can even have it explode before they are even able to react. I wonder if there could be any set-ups for this. Right now it's completely by chance that someone will fall down you'll be in range to get a jab to cause the forced get-up. A person shielding then falling off the platform is the only scenario I see where this could remotely happen.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion

IxxI

Smash Fence
Can someone post a video on boost pivot grabbing and the range it displays?
I need to know if I'm doing it right.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Can someone post a video on boost pivot grabbing and the range it displays?
I need to know if I'm doing it right.
You will see like grab but out of balance like falling forward slightly. When you do it, it will seem like you can't reach your opponent but like edgehogging the opponent will seem like they magnet into hte grab.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
My Snake has grown to be pretty good, but I'm finding error when it comes to defending the ledge and getting back. I usually lay a grenade down by the ledge, maybe another or hold another, and sometimes a C4, but people alway seem to get around nades easily. And as for myself, getting back on is a struggle for me when coming from under the stage. The C4 works well most of the time, but sometimes I fast fall into my death. Any way to prevent that from happening? Suggestions?

noodles

Smash Champion
have the control stick slightly tilted down while your still holding the cypher. then just press the b button :D

Panix

Smash Ace
My Snake has grown to be pretty good, but I'm finding error when it comes to defending the ledge and getting back. I usually lay a grenade down by the ledge, maybe another or hold another, and sometimes a C4, but people alway seem to get around nades easily. And as for myself, getting back on is a struggle for me when coming from under the stage. The C4 works well most of the time, but sometimes I fast fall into my death. Any way to prevent that from happening? Suggestions?
edgeguard = mortar slide to the edge, shoot mortar at approximate range that will at least set up a wall that will make the player rethink how he's getting back onto the stage, from there drop a nade or wait for the f-tilt/utilt/grab. If you can get that down then your edge game is pretty solid.

when recoverying off stage I advise mixing it up with bairs, nairs (sometimes), airdodges, and delayed airdodging ( for those annoying metaknights ).

noodles

Smash Champion
when recoverying off stage I advise mixing it up with bairs, nairs (sometimes), airdodges, and delayed airdodging ( for those annoying metaknights ).
once snake is in the air any competent mk will make sure he doesnt get down for awhile. uair pretty much beats every option out really. if you airdodge id just follow your di and nair which is almost guaranteed to hit because of the long duration of the move. if your too far down ill just pick you off with a dair. tornado usually works well also.

i dont know the term used for it but the hardest thing for me to punish is when snakes pulls out a nade and changes his direction completely. if you just pull out a nade and your falling down with it hoping the mk would get scared the can just nair at the bottom of your feet. this is what i do anyways

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Why does Snake have so many bad match-ups for his position? He even has more than a few characters below him (i.e, Marth, Wario).

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Why does Snake have so many bad match-ups for his position? He even has more than a few characters below him (i.e, Marth, Wario).
Because Brawl is a much much better balanced game. Anyone can win with pretty much most of the characters as long as you know how to utilize their moves to your advantage. Well other than the MK matchup though people make the MK matchup much worst than it seems sometimes.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
brawl isnt that balanced at all
It's' hella more balanced than melee. Other than MK having a major advantage just about over earlyone other than wario. For every high tier character, there seems to be a kryponite character for it .

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I have a question. I might want to use Snake, but DACUS kinda hurts my wrists, lol. :( Could I still play an effective Snake without DACUS?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yes, you can still play an effective snake without mortar sliding. While you would be better with it, it is not used enough to be able to make a HUGE difference in your effectiveness.

Just curious, what type of controller are you using? Cause I really don't see how a DACUS could hurt your wrist if you're using the GC controller..

Wii Mote + Nunchuck would hurt your wrist with smashes set to shake.

Apart from jab > uptilt what other ways are there to get it to work? I find it really hard to get KOs since everytime I face someone in KO range they know to avoid me and thus I am always having to use everything else at snakes dispole just racking up damage looking for that chance to hit them to get the KO and I never get it. Ftilt always seems to be the trick, but not till around 150%+.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Jab>uptilt is unreliable and doesn't work most of the time. Just keep racking up damage, but make sure to look for opportunities to utilt for the kill. A lot of times I'll see snakes jab or ftilt when they had an open opportunity for the utilt kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom