• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of picking up snake, but I have a lot of questions. @_@ The learning curve for Snake seems to be pretty difficult....from what I see. It looks as though it takes precise movement and timing. I was wondering about explosives, though. I have the main Snake game down, but explosives are definitely my weakness. As a Marth main, I'm not used to projectiles or anything of the such. What is a good way to utilize grenades to keep opponents away, and what should I do when placing C4 and landmines? I usually have no idea how to incorporate those into my game.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
seriously, reading the guides will help by giving you an idea of what to do, from there, you improve on what you can by yourself

Snake is very player specific

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
It's possible to footstool jump a Snake in the Cypher?
I'm not sure, but either way it won't knock him out of the cypher.

It would only make you jump really high.

Footstools only send characters into a falling animation if they aren't performing a move (cypher would be that move).

I'm thinking of picking up snake, but I have a lot of questions. @_@ The learning curve for Snake seems to be pretty difficult....from what I see. It looks as though it takes precise movement and timing. I was wondering about explosives, though. I have the main Snake game down, but explosives are definitely my weakness. As a Marth main, I'm not used to projectiles or anything of the such. What is a good way to utilize grenades to keep opponents away, and what should I do when placing C4 and landmines? I usually have no idea how to incorporate those into my game.
Like Black_Heretic said, you have to learn to use snake on your own pretty much and get a feel for his moves and stuff. Pretty much timing and range of attacks are the big things. Guides will give you the more specifics on the attacks and general strategys and after that you start to learn to combine them on your own.

It's possible to footstool jump a Snake in the Cypher?
Unless you can somehow get invicibility frames on attacks, I say it's impossible.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I have two questions.

First Question:

I'm having trouble using Snake's Dthrow chaingrab. How do you know what direction they will roll in? I tend to guess a direction. Can you help?

Second Question:

Who are some good (and active) snake players? I want to see some videos of them. Right now I'm "studying" War, Chops, and Ally. Thank you.

I have two questions.

First Question:

I'm having trouble using Snake's Dthrow chaingrab. How do you know what direction they will roll in? I tend to guess a direction. Can you help?

Second Question:

Who are some good (and active) snake players? I want to see some videos of them. Right now I'm "studying" War, Chops, and Ally. Thank you.
Not sure about videos, but the dthrow bit is sort of learned through experience and who you are facing. Some people here have mentioned that typically on a small platform people will get up attack. Near an edge they will roll away and roll away from explosions and stuff liek that.

From my experience most people will not always do that, they will want to play smart and try to mix things up, so typically they either do the same thing in a row everytime you get the dthrow till you punish that and then they will try something different. Ex. I Dthrow and boost pivot grab expecting the roll behind instead they roll forward. Next time I think they will roll forward they do and I am there to grab. They think that doesn't work and will try to roll behind or attack. There you can expect that and get the tech chase to work.

And if you do meet someone that likes to lay down for a time and not do anything just get ready to Ftilt them to get them to stop doing that.

I'm not the best at techchasing, so someone else will have to elaborate on that.

folk!

Smash Apprentice
I have two questions.

First Question:

Second Question:

hunger and gramace!

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
How do I SDI (Like which direction) out of Zelda's Up and Side Smashes? I know the timings for each move are different.

Nic64

Smash Lord
How do I SDI (Like which direction) out of Zelda's Up and Side Smashes? I know the timings for each move are different.
I would SDI away from her fsmash, not sure about her up smash and IIRC you can't SDI out of it if it's a little stale(like used twice I think)

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Which type of characters does Snake have best matchups? Are they all lightweights (I know up tilt has insane knockback against lightweights but far weaker against heavies and bombs and mines are devastating on lightweights as well)?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
yeah and snake will get to use his cypher again idk why
During Snake's Up-B animation, he is treated as if he is already out of it. When you get footstooled, you can use Up-B again. So when Snake's using his Up-B (not being treated as one) and gets footstooled, the game registers as "Ok, you can use another Up-B you got footstooled".

Therefore allowing you to use Cypher again.

(crystal, it is possible to footstool Snake in his Cypher. Especially if he doesn't uair you, why would you need invincibility on attacks?)

@Person asking how to turn around with grenades

Read the OP. I do believe that's one of our FAQ.

@Nic64

It's extremely hard to DI out of, but not impossible IIRC.

You want to DI towards the "closest edge" for her upsmash (which is extremely hard to DI out of, if not impossible at most %'s)

You want to DI up and away for the forward smash (which is a bit easier to DI out of)

@smashking

MK is a lightweight, MK goes even with us.

Our easiest matchups is what Ran Iji said. The ones we can outcamp (which is most of the cast)

We also outcamp DDD, but look where that gets us xD

I made the assumption you cannot footstool Snake because of the cyphers hits people, but now that I think about it, it only gets a hitbox after snake let's go of it, so my mistake.

-Ran

Smash Master
even with mk? are you saying m2k beats most snakes 90% of the time simply cause hes much better?
The MK match up is heavily dependent upon the level of skill of the individuals.

1. Scrub Level = MK keeps dieing off the side, Snake wins.
2. N00b Competitive level = MK has learned the power of tornado. MK wins.
3. Mid Level = Snake has learned how to control the stage and abuse his tilts. Snake Wins.
4. High level = MK has learned how to gimp Snake perfectly. Once Snake is off the level, he loses a Stock. MK Wins.
5. Elite Level = M2k beats every Snake thus far.

Now when you're on a higher level than the other individual, you'll beat them pretty consistently, regardless of match ups.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i only ask cause im in a tourny on sunday, and the best mk in the country (aus) is supposed to be coming. my snake is pretty good, but i seriously lack matchup experience against mk. so control the stage eh? dont get gimped lol.

i mean, i reckon i have a chance, but by that logic, i shouldnt stand a chance (therefore it is not even).

Nic64

Smash Lord
it depends on who you ask, opinions on the matchup range from anywhere from 55:45 Snake(why anyone in their right mind still thinks this I don't know) to even, to 55:45 in MK's favor. personally I think it may actually be a little worse than that, but even if it's 4:6 it's still winnable if you play better.

b0wzr!

Smash Cadet
Do you guys use Snake's Down Smash much?
When is the best time to use it?
After stock waiting, or distant enough to be able to plant one?
Or is it just better to use his Down B?
Sorry, new to Snake =/

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
It's 55:45 Snake if the Snake plays flawless, but in a real match the second the Snake makes a mistake, a good MK will be on your *** like white on rice. One grab at the edge, or going offstage pretty much means lost stock like Ran Iji said. At the same time it takes you a few grabs, some ftilts, explosives, and you can finish with utilt at like 95%, of course that's a lot easier than it sounds.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Do you guys use Snake's Down Smash much?
When is the best time to use it?
After stock waiting, or distant enough to be able to plant one?
Or is it just better to use his Down B?
Sorry, new to Snake =/
Every time I kill my opponent or have enough time.

^ that

Use Mine, then down-b (mine takes longer to use)

It's 55:45 Snake if the Snake plays flawless, but in a real match the second the Snake makes a mistake, a good MK will be on your *** like white on rice. One grab at the edge, or going offstage pretty much means lost stock like Ran Iji said. At the same time it takes you a few grabs, some ftilts, explosives, and you can finish with utilt at like 95%, of course that's a lot easier than it sounds.
45:55 - no such thing as playing flawlessy.

113% if the MK knows how to DI the utilt.

115/118?% if the MK really knows how to DI the utilt and momentum cancel.

It's a touch matchup....

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
at b0wzr!

dsmash is best used after u get the kill that way u can throw them into it.

u can plant one during a fight but just try not to get comboed at high %'s.

down B is the best but dont use it alot if ur at a high percent....cuz then u cant c4 recover....and tech that stage lol.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Every time I kill my opponent or have enough time.

^ that

Use Mine, then down-b (mine takes longer to use)

45:55 - no such thing as playing flawlessy.

113% if the MK knows how to DI the utilt.

115/118?% if the MK really knows how to DI the utilt and momentum cancel.

It's a touch matchup....
I tried to give the man some hope, lol jk, this info is right, my friend doesn't DI perfectly, so I didn't know those percents off the top of my head.

My advice is simply this, make sure you can b-reverse perfectly, learn to utilt the tornado on reaction, because if the MK knows what he's doing he'll rise his tornado off the ground just enough not to detonate your grenade but still pressure your shield. Grounded shuttle loops can be used to take care of nades on the ground so if they have a habit of doing that, put yourself in position to punish with utilt/mortar. Don't get grabbed near the edge, because they'll pummel till release if they're good and just **** you off stage. Grenade grabbing is pretty useful, but if they catch on it just becomes a mixup. Mis space anything and you'll be getting dash grabbed, and maybe dsmashed. Look into different ways you can turtle on stages with your explosives, such as soft toss nades and mortars or C4 on platform and claymore on bottom, and mortars/nades from behind your wall. If I remember Ken's data correct your jabs will land all three hits on MK, so keep that in mind. At around 140%-150% if you haven't killed MK already but you land a grab, air release and you can sweet spot a dash attack.

I know you didn't really ask for matchup help specifically, but this is a matchup I do know somewhat. Hope some of this helps.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I recently started playing the doubles ladder in AiB. I was just wondering, can becoming used to lag hurt my offline game in the long run? I don't know if I'll become habituated to delaying my moves, as I do when I play on wifi ( as much as it sucks).

Also, thanks everyone for the match up thread. I finally realized how useful it was when I played my first (wifi) nasty G&W. I didn't know how to counter his air game / turtle, but now I stand a chance :)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I've won two state tourneys with snake in this past week :)

MK has the advantage. At least 45/55 IMO. And yes you can get the entire jab combo on him unless they can react fast enough to SDI one of the first two hits.

Lag will mess up your game if you start depending on things that only work because of it. I know it effected me negatively and took me like a couple days to get back to normal. I don't use snake on wifi anymore because of that.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I'm still ahving trouble doing air change direction when pulling a nade. Could someone say it again cause I don't remember which page that post was on.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWwDD-H46AY

at 2:30-2:34 when it looks like snake is doing a breakdance kick. Are my eyes bad or does he just do the jump off his back move by hitting up on the cstick or its something different?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
How do I do that rapid jab thing where it repeats only the 1st hit of the jab on hit? I just can't remember how to do it for the life of me right now.

IxxI

Smash Fence
How do I do that rapid jab thing where it repeats only the 1st hit of the jab on hit? I just can't remember how to do it for the life of me right now.
Jab>crouch>jab>crouch

The timing is really fast and precise. If you do it when people are towards the ledge, it forces people to roll away from the ledge and you can punish the roll with an ftilt.

Personally, I don't do it, but I think JesiahTEG does.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I tried to give the man some hope, lol jk, this info is right, my friend doesn't DI perfectly, so I didn't know those percents off the top of my head.

My advice is simply this, make sure you can b-reverse perfectly, learn to utilt the tornado on reaction, because if the MK knows what he's doing he'll rise his tornado off the ground just enough not to detonate your grenade but still pressure your shield. Grounded shuttle loops can be used to take care of nades on the ground so if they have a habit of doing that, put yourself in position to punish with utilt/mortar. Don't get grabbed near the edge, because they'll pummel till release if they're good and just **** you off stage. Grenade grabbing is pretty useful, but if they catch on it just becomes a mixup. Mis space anything and you'll be getting dash grabbed, and maybe dsmashed. Look into different ways you can turtle on stages with your explosives, such as soft toss nades and mortars or C4 on platform and claymore on bottom, and mortars/nades from behind your wall. If I remember Ken's data correct your jabs will land all three hits on MK, so keep that in mind. At around 140%-150% if you haven't killed MK already but you land a grab, air release and you can sweet spot a dash attack.

I know you didn't really ask for matchup help specifically, but this is a matchup I do know somewhat. Hope some of this helps.
yeah, i didnt ask for matchup advice, but i probs should have, thanks heaps man. mastered b-reversing a while ago (although i just started with nikitas), useful for avoiding most characters, but i reckon mk could smack me despite being tricked. more than anything is the fact that i have a rather (by which i mean very) aggressive snake, which works well against most characters, but not mk, so ill be forced to use a playstyle im not used to. thanks for the advice, ill report back tomorrow.

I've won two state tourneys with snake in this past week :)

MK has the advantage. At least 45/55 IMO. And yes you can get the entire jab combo on him unless they can react fast enough to SDI one of the first two hits.

Lag will mess up your game if you start depending on things that only work because of it. I know it effected me negatively and took me like a couple days to get back to normal. I don't use snake on wifi anymore because of that.
the jab is good know, but its not a wifi tourny, so no probs with lag.

it's showtime!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Jab>crouch>jab>crouch

The timing is really fast and precise. If you do it when people are towards the ledge, it forces people to roll away from the ledge and you can punish the roll with an ftilt.

Personally, I don't do it, but I think JesiahTEG does.
Isn't there a way to do this automatically without having to manually input the crouch every single time? I definitely remember this being fairly easy.

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to drop a nade and pick it up with a dtilt. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It was something like holding diagonally down or something like that. I remember the discussion too, I'm just too lazy to look through the hundreds of posts for it.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Isn't there a way to do this automatically without having to manually input the crouch every single time? I definitely remember this being fairly easy.

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to drop a nade and pick it up with a dtilt. Can anyone refresh my memory?
There is a way to do it easier? If there is, tell us please :) I'll use it more often if its easy.

And, how do you pick up a nade with dtilt? More options. YAY! Dtilt isn't TOTALLY useless. YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom