• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Wii Mote + Nunchuck would hurt your wrist with smashes set to shake.

Apart from jab > uptilt what other ways are there to get it to work? I find it really hard to get KOs since everytime I face someone in KO range they know to avoid me and thus I am always having to use everything else at snakes dispole just racking up damage looking for that chance to hit them to get the KO and I never get it. Ftilt always seems to be the trick, but not till around 150%+.
Someone said this somewhere and I feel this is true.... the key to landing utilt is to utilt as reaction to an opening, not to concentrate on landing it.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I find most of the time to landing the ultilt is whoever gets the better of the other during a spotdodge standoff or if an opponent is rolling along with you and you stop and turn around to utilt.

Another of my many questions: how to deal with fox's down smash? Alot of times, fox users come down iwth a dair and immediately dsmash which has really strong horizontal knockback. Often times at %'s over 70 to knock me off the stage and then getting a chance at getting air comboed.

I've tried just about everything, nade camping, spot dodges, tilt/jabs.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I find most of the time to landing the ultilt is whoever gets the better of the other during a spotdodge standoff or if an opponent is rolling along with you and you stop and turn around to utilt.

Another of my many questions: how to deal with fox's down smash? Alot of times, fox users come down iwth a dair and immediately dsmash which has really strong horizontal knockback. Often times at %'s over 70 to knock me off the stage and then getting a chance at getting air comboed.

Shield both the dair and the dsmash, then counter with a grab or Oos Dair.

Jab>uptilt is unreliable and doesn't work most of the time. Just keep racking up damage, but make sure to look for opportunities to utilt for the kill. A lot of times I'll see snakes jab or ftilt when they had an open opportunity for the utilt kill.
>_< So killing with snake is like me trying to kill with falco. It takes forever, but at least snake has more chances to KO earlier. Falco's it's like every stock is at least 130% minimum to get a KO.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion

Run away from the dair and pivot grab? Once fox is falling his trajectory is very predictable due to his lack of horizontal mobility, so it isn't hard to just run out of the dair's range and pivot grab.

>_< So killing with snake is like me trying to kill with falco. It takes forever, but at least snake has more chances to KO earlier. Falco's it's like every stock is at least 130% minimum to get a KO.
You just need to recognize when people are open to get hit by a utilt and don't hesitate. Like the second you see someone roll behind you, turn around and utilt. Someone spot dodges a jab or ftilt? utilt them in the lag of their dodge. Another thing I like to do to get an utilt is when they're trying to land on the ground and they aren't very high, you short hop and they will air dodge expecting an uair or bair, then you fast fall and utilt them right as they come out of their air dodge. I think what abit_rusty said sums this up very well.

the key to landing utilt is to utilt as reaction to an opening, not to concentrate on landing it.
Just learn to do it on reaction. Openings are often very slim and if you hesitate even a spilt second you might miss it.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Kind of a noob question but how can i ledge grab quicker, online i run off thestage and sometimes he would run too far off. But it seems i need to learn how to execute it faster since i know after the mortar edge guard people tend to do there up b recoverys.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
First off, you could stop playing wifi XD

Then when you aren't in lag, right as you run off the edge you want to fast fall and hold back towards the edge. So basically, it's a half circle down back towards the ledge.

Kly

Smash Rookie
Hi!
I play Snake since about a year now and i find that i really have a different playstyle on differents chars.
As i don't know well some matchups and how i could deal with it and the matchup thread looks a bit slow...
I think we just should do a list of ALL chars and just explains of the Snake should be defensive (like on Mk for example) or offensive (on r.o.b) or just mixing the two.

I post this because i got ***** by a arrow,bomb, boomerang spam toon link and i didn't know if i should go away to camp him or keep the close fight with tilt (hard enough) also olimar is a problem for me, some say i should be offensive but pivot grab range is longer than anything Snake has (i saw a pro Snake camp Oli and it didn't work) also Oli camping game can be really boring 8D..

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question, what's the most effective way to edge guard(assuming your opponent wishes to grab the ledge)? Some players I've seen go for the C4 immediately(jump > DJ > wavebounce C4 > detonate) but some plant a nade and start shooting mortars..which, in your experience, is the best way?

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question, what's the most effective way to edge guard(assuming your opponent wishes to grab the ledge)? Some players I've seen go for the C4 immediately(jump > DJ > wavebounce C4 > detonate) but some plant a nade and start shooting mortars..which, in your experience, is the best way?
I rarely do the drop a c4 in the air to spike/stage spike them unless they are recovering from down low.

What i generally do when playing safe is if i knock them flying: mortar slide charging it pretty well, nade, shield drop, jump backwards while planting c4 on the ground, quick cstick mortar or nair in place.

When I'm feeling aggressive i'll mortar slide charge, shield drop nade, and then go after them with a bair and occassionally a fair spike if they are slow to respond.

Panix

Smash Ace
I rarely do the drop a c4 in the air to spike/stage spike them unless they are recovering from down low.

What i generally do when playing safe is if i knock them flying: mortar slide charging it pretty well, nade, shield drop, jump backwards while planting c4 on the ground, quick cstick mortar or nair in place.

When I'm feeling aggressive i'll mortar slide charge, shield drop nade, and then go after them with a bair and occassionally a fair spike if they are slow to respond.
everything he said but that. unless your vrsing another snake.

IxxI

Smash Fence

These are basic.
Mix it up a bit so you won't be as predictable.
But this is a great way to start edge guarding.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
ok im a falco man, but because his chain grab and lazors are horribly nerfed in doubles, i usually go snake. any particular doubles strategies? i play with a wario/meta guy. Also how do you change momentum in the air while returning to stage? ive seen it done with c4 and grenades and assume its wavebouncing but i do not know the ideal button commands.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
everything he said but that. unless your vrsing another snake.
What do you mean only against another snake? There are plenty of other characters you can try it against such as the space creatures, pikachu, diddy.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
fair is seriously a horrible attack, you always have far better options than an attempted spike
It's all about timing. Against fox and falco's phantasm I can get it on a fairly good % now b/c their upb will leave them edgehogged alot.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
the timing isn't a problem, its just not as good as Snake's other attacks, 9/10 of us kinda forgot Snake had a fair

IxxI

Smash Fence
LOL fair can still be pretty fun in friendlies if you sweet spot it for them to spike on to the stage and start a tech chase. XD

We need a use for uthrow, lol.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
LOL fair can still be pretty fun in friendlies if you sweet spot it for them to spike on to the stage and start a tech chase. XD

We need a use for uthrow, lol.
uthrow in the mid% when you uthrow and they are at the perfect height where they can't airdodge for a short hop uair.

At higher % you can start juggling them with utilts and mix in mortars/bounced nades

edit* i don't see why everyone thinks fair is as ungodly to land. I have a much harder time landing a fsmash out of all of snake's arsenal. I've tried just about everything with it that would let me get it out safely without being punished: edgeguarding, quick reverse fmash after a dthrow. The fmash is just much harder to land in 1v1

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
You land Fsmashes when you read peoples. It's not hard if you know they are gonna roll or tech roll a certain way. Just punish them with a fsmash. Other than that, it's hard to actually land.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
the fact that diddy's fsmash is about 80 times faster than snake's, and has about 1/5 of the lag, makes it a bit easier to do...

IxxI

Smash Fence
uthrow in the mid% when you uthrow and they are at the perfect height where they can't airdodge for a short hop uair.

At higher % you can start juggling them with utilts and mix in mortars/bounced nades

edit* i don't see why everyone thinks fair is as ungodly to land. I have a much harder time landing a fsmash out of all of snake's arsenal. I've tried just about everything with it that would let me get it out safely without being punished: edgeguarding, quick reverse fmash after a dthrow. The fmash is just much harder to land in 1v1
I knew about that uthrow thing, dthrow tech chases are much more practical however.
Just predict rolls with fsmash.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Here's a use for uthrow. When they're at low percents, grab them beneath a platform and they will go high enough to land on the platform, and then they will shield on reaction. Then here is the good part. If they are close to the edge of the platform, utilt their shield and they will fall off in the tumbling animation. Most people never tech the fall and as they miss the tech, you jab>fsmash. It's seriously so ****.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
I have a question.. if an opponent is directly above u on a platform what do u do?

i use U-tilt but... this happens alot during the game and it decays my u-tilt and killing potential drops..

i try nair they just roll to the other side that im facing

u-air is too slow so is mortar..

so what are the options availiable if i dont want to u-tilt? (just let him come down ?)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
depends on the situation, but i typically autocancal uair or bair, either to catch them off guard or push them off the platform. mix this up with mortars and short hops (to scare them into rolling or shielding). i rarely use utilt before kill percentages...

Browny

Smash Hater
hmmm about that. does uair actually auto cancel? I mean, frame data proof that you can actually cancel it with no lag quicker than you can airdodge. It just doesnt look like an AC to me.

Rohan

Smash Apprentice
ok im a falco man, but because his chain grab and lazors are horribly nerfed in doubles, i usually go snake. any particular doubles strategies? i play with a wario/meta guy. Also how do you change momentum in the air while returning to stage? ive seen it done with c4 and grenades and assume its wavebouncing but i do not know the ideal button commands.
so........

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I knew about that uthrow thing, dthrow tech chases are much more practical however.
Just predict rolls with fsmash.
Predicting a backwards roll and you hitting back on the cstick doesn't even land the majority of the time with really good people because they will roll back across you a split sec before the fsmash comes out.

Ken's thing of using uthrow seems interesting. I'll need to try that out. Does it land on a fairly high %?

Killing_Time

Smash Rookie
whats a good strategy against a DeDeDe thats all about grabbing/chain grabbing and then WOP you when your off the edge

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
whats a good strategy against a DeDeDe thats all about grabbing/chain grabbing and then WOP you when your off the edge
well dedede is one of snake's bad matchups, so you're at a disadvantage....i dont think snake can beat a dedede of equal skill...you literally have to out play your opponent

first of all if you get grabbed...spam the **** of your b-button in the hopes that your opponent will miss the timing on the chaingrab. even if your nade hits you, at least your not being chaingrabbed and WOP'd.

obv number one thing is do not get grabbed....camp camp camp do not randomly attack dedede. do not attack dedede unless he's in the air or unless he's given you an oppening. dedede's a just waiting for an excuse to shield grab you. if a dedede dashes at you, grab him. Unless he starts dashing at you and then spot dodging, which he will begin to do after he gets grabbed a couple times. But dedede's like to run up to you and shield...and really you can see anything else he can do out of shield coming from a mile a way...so just grab him...he not gonna to run up to you and dash attack or upsmash lol. he's either going to shield or spotdodge.

Grenades > waddle doos. pressure dedede with explosives....mines work well because they can interrupt chaingrab I believe...

if you do get chaingrabbed and knocked of the stage...sometimes you can surprise your opponent with a quick nair as you're recovering...only do it if you know you'll hit...don't try to predicts your opponent jumping into it...dedede is waiting for you to do a move so he can fair or bair you. he's not going to jump into your nair. so know your nair range, and quickly do it as soon as you know you can hit with it...

otherwise, recovery high..higher than you normally would with snake. make dedede have to use all his jumps to reach you...count his jumps and when their done you have a better chance....obv. use b-reversals to mix it up if you happen to make it back to the stage

consider picking stages with ledges. obv you can't be chaingrabbed on ledges, and if dedede's on a ledge, that's the one time snake has the advantage. **** him with uptilts and upairs and nairs and set c4s on ledges, they'll hit dedede from far away because his hurtbox is so ****ing fat

learn the kill percentages for ALL of your moves. learn when upair kills dedede when he's on the top ledge of BF, learn when uptilt kills (like 130%), learn when dair kills....ftilt will probably be your main punishment move so you probably won't be killing with this move...use c4 to help build damage and for the occasional kill...master your d-throw chasing...you have to make all your hits count for as much as possible so you can kill him quickly

I have a question.. if an opponent is directly above u on a platform what do u do?

i use U-tilt but... this happens alot during the game and it decays my u-tilt and killing potential drops..

i try nair they just roll to the other side that im facing

u-air is too slow so is mortar..

so what are the options availiable if i dont want to u-tilt? (just let him come down ?)
Honestly do not worry about decaying your uptilt. Well, this is my opinion...other snakes save uptilt...but personally, uptilt is too **** to save. and honestly I rarely have a problem with my uptilt being too decayed. and even a decayed uptilt kills at low percents lol snake uses so many moves in between uptilts, and he has so many kill moves that it usually doesn't matter...after all your grenades and mortars and f-tilts, which you should be using, your uptilt should be ay okay. Just uptilt them lol

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Ken's thing of using uthrow seems interesting. I'll need to try that out. Does it land on a fairly high %?
No, the jab>fsmash only works at low percents. If their percent is too high, then the jab bounces them up instead of making them stand up and they can get out of it. But fsmash kills at really low percents, so if you can get the jab>fsmash then go for it. I'll try to get a recording of it done in battle so you guys can see what I mean.

So the jab doesn't make the opponent have a forced get-up when they fail to tech at higher percents? I thought the jab always gave a forced get-up at any percent.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Here's a use for uthrow. When they're at low percents, grab them beneath a platform and they will go high enough to land on the platform, and then they will shield on reaction. Then here is the good part. If they are close to the edge of the platform, utilt their shield and they will fall off in the tumbling animation. Most people never tech the fall and as they miss the tech, you jab>fsmash. It's seriously so ****.
Have you landed it before?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Jab can lock if 'tipped' at lower percents.

@IxxI

I have, it's pretty situational but they can tech the uthrow onto the platform as well. (tech-roll) but then you walk a step or two then utilt. If they shield after the roll, guarenteed knockoff. Then they can use an aerial (which if you spaced properly, most of the time won't hit.. unless its fast like Diddy's and has good reach) then they can tech-roll the actual fall.

Situational - but works against those not thinking of teching things like that.

(sorry for being gone for a while. Had computer issues, had my birthday, went to my moms, got my wii back =] I'll be active again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom