• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYM 11 3-13 ~ Need setups, power strips, & extension cords!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I played Falcon in our pool. We had Soroush(Fox that got 5th IIRC) and Oranos(pretty sure he CP'd Puff against you and took you to Brinstar IIRC lol) in our pool, I forget the other two but one played Fox and the other played idk but he literally smelt like cat litter which was a mindgame in it's own =( I got 2-0'd by everyone lol, SMYM10 I got 2-0'd by everyone pry sure besides one dude who I 2-0'd...this SMYM...I'm getting out of pools =D!?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Oh, I don't usually do a lot of friendlies at tournaments anyway.
And I know I'm still going to have to do a lot of pitching in. This won't go right without my help.

cyko: To answer your question, you can still get too many calories on a vegan diet. Especially if you are relying on a lot of grains and processed foods for nutrition.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
lolll sorry man
gj on getting 2nd though.
get 1st next time.

also SMYM10 was the first time I 2-0ed my entire pool.
I've been 2-0ing all my MW pools ever since.
it didnt help though because I had to play drephen 3rd round winners and then phatgamerwhoisbetteratsheikdittosthanmebyalot next =[
your posts are soooo obnoxioussss

darkatma

Smash Hero
yup
that's why ppl think i'm a huge *** **** :D
but i'm actually just a huge **** in ***.

jk

Besides, I'm at least as obnoxious IRL
(you KNOW it's bad when you're being called out by shrubtroll on being obnoxious)

Dart

Smash Lord
how do i keep missing all these controversies with Tomacawk?! grr...NE's coming? i guess ill have to step it up this time around. they surprised me at HD

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
What did we do last time? 8 pools of 7-8 teams? Or 16 pools of 3-4?

In the interest of time, we'll stick with two teams advancing.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
bigger question cawk, how do you stay big being vegan? O_o i really dont know i assumed you recently just turned?
It was a recent change. I went vegetarian very late April '09, have lost 45 lbs since that time, still steadily losing a few pounds every month. Never been healthier or happier!
cyko: To answer your question, you can still get too many calories on a vegan diet. Especially if you are relying on a lot of grains and processed foods for nutrition.
Very true. You can have a vegan diet and still eat like a *******. However, I have a modest healthy, balanced diet. I don't cook anything too extravagent, but I don't eat processed foods more than once every day or 2.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
What did we do last time? 8 pools of 7-8 teams? Or 16 pools of 3-4?

In the interest of time, we'll stick with two teams advancing.
why not just throw everyone into a bracket? top 2 pools are actually worse than double elimination because you can lose 1 set and still get knocked out. also, a top-2 seeded bracket is statistically BARELY less likely to pit two of the best 4 teams against each other than making it totally random (and the TO is within his rights to fudge the bracket so major favorites are on the opposite sides), so the seeding benefit is negligible. all top 2 pools do is give the bottom teams a few extra sets (top-2 caliber teams would win equivalent sets in bracket, so they are not extra), many of whom are already guaranteed out by the time these meaningless sets are played. you should find a way to make teams pools top 4, or if time is your concern, just not do pools so singles can be top 4 and/or 2 rounds.

darkatma

Smash Hero
naw pools is better

-losing 1 set will not make you get kicked out of pools (unless you lose to a nub team who loses to someone else as well). losing 2 sets may.
-not having pools deters people from entering teams

i do agree with having more people advance though. Top 2 is kinda scary. Maybe 3?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i actually really like 18 spikes point

pools for top 2 teams making it out is not much different than just doing a bracket, and would leave much more time for singles

so long as the TO does some manual seeding it wouldnt be a problem at all i dont think

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
but if you're vegan

you can't eat flan

or chipotle

why live
yea, but there is still soy and hummus....and tofu, hell yea, get at me with some humus

but I think just about everyone wants more than top 2 teams advance. like if time is a constraint, I think pools of 4 with top 2 advance would make people happy, and still be good on time, cause pools would last as long as 12-18 games, rather than 56 - 84 games, unless there aren't enough tvs to have atleast 1 per pool, then that idea wouldn't be helpfull on time at all

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Advancing 2 out of 16 pools of 4-5 teams is the way to go (did we really advance 2 out of 8 pools of 7-8 last time?*). Going straight into a bracket and having 25% of teams play only 2 matches is totally lame. Rigging Adjusting the bracket to separate the best teams will also be easier once half the teams have been removed.

I don't think there's much to be gained by skipping the teams pools. It might save a small amount of time, but we could save a lot more time by having enough extension cords and power strips this time!

*Checking into it... yes, we did. I don't think that was such a hot idea. We probably could have saved time with more pools and a bigger bracket, and there would have been a lot less pressure in the pools that way.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I didn't do teams at SMYM10, but at SMYM9 i know it was top 2, and i think there were 6-7 teams in each pool. Luckily for me there were no good teams in my pool and me and blackpanther got 1st seed, but somehow we had to play darkrain's team first round... wtf?

I don't like that small of a number leaving each pool, its too easy to get pool ****ed. For example, anyone with a godlike team in their pool (mango/lucky, m2k/jman, ect) goes from needing top 2 of 4-5 to needing to get top 1 of 3-4. Combine that with a crew matchup in pools (it always happens to someone) and you have someone who is gonna be mad salty about the tournament.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Of course 2 advancing isn't as much fun as 4, but there are time issues to work around.

Singles will be 4 out of each pool of 8-9.

BunBun

Smash Master
Someone always gets pissed about pools seeding. There is no way around it. In order for this tournament to complete somewhere near on time, only top 2 can advance. Every SMYM I've been to (admittedly, only 9 and 10) has finished basically on time.

Yeah, it's kind of gay, but I think it's a good idea to prioritize the entire tournament over how hard you're going to assrape one or two pools.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
i know, I was just thinking the same thing, cause like in the first few pages, aob said hed help durag out, and now hes like ****in hitler given orders and **** :-D
Maybe if Durian were a little more involved with his own thread, hmmm? I hope he realizes that the more I end up doing, the higher my consulting fee goes.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
LOL I'm so confused about what's going on with this tournament's leadership. Hopefully it works out as well as the last 2 SMYMs I was at.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Evidently they smell terrible. I've never had the pleasure, though.

They were fun to kick around in Mario Sunshine.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
lol, durand(dew rag) is definitely one of the laziest and most unreliable smashers i ever met. aob is the opposite; a by-the-book guy and reliable dude.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
thanks

What do u want me to say?

all I hear is people talking about being vegan and how crappy I am

2 out of pools is fine
and 4 out of 8-9 for singles is fine

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Evidently they smell terrible. I've never had the pleasure, though.

They were fun to kick around in Mario Sunshine.
My little sister loved the **** out of Sunshine (she 100%'d it at least 3 times), so when my dad mentioned seeing durians at Costco, she got him to buy one. She was disappointed when it turned out to be neither perfectly round nor bouncy.
And yeah, the smell was definitely something else. Tasted pretty good though.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
thanks

What do u want me to say?

all I hear is people talking about being vegan and how crappy I am

2 out of pools is fine
and 4 out of 8-9 for singles is fine
I'm pretty sure we didn't do 4 out of 8 or 9 last time...4 of 6-7 would be better IMO.

BunBun

Smash Master
PEEF, we have to have a nice, bracket-seedable number of pools. Also, it has to match the number of setups. If there are 126 people, 6 per pool means 21 pools, which doesn't seed into brackets at all, not to mention 4 * 21 = 88, not 64.

4/6-7 would only work if 96-112 people show up.

I'd imagine (not running it, so dunno for sure) that no matter how many people show up, they'll be seeding into a 64 man bracket with top 4 advancing from each of the 16 pools.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
mmmm... I figure depending on the number of people that come out we would change the the number of people in pools and the number of people who get out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom