• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection - Continued

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Feels a little repetitive but here's my second submission...

Cave Story

1673849850610.png

Once again, I am submitting an acclaimed and popular indie platformer that was very important for the development and popularization of indie games. This time, one developed by Studio Pixel. Pick whichever one you feel is more important lol. Cave Story was one of the first indies to truly go viral, especially on the early Internet, so it's an inflection point for sure.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Okay, here's my second submission.

The Secret of Monkey Island

• Genre: Graphic Adventure
  • Company: Lucasfilm Games
  • Release Date: October 15th, 1990
The Secret of Monkey Island is the first installment of a eponymous point-and-click graphic adventure video game series, created by Ron Gilbert and published by Lucasfilm Games (a video game subsidiary of Lucasfilm Ltd), releasing on home computers in 1990. The plot focuses on Guybrush Threepwood, a young man who dreams of becoming a swashbuckling "Mighty Pirate" after washing ashore to Melee IslandTM, exploring a few islands while solving various puzzles to succeed in the three trials given to him by pirate leaders and trying to stop the evil undead ghost pirate captain LeChuck from abducting Méléé IslandTM's governor and his love interest, Elaine Marley.

The game is critically-acclaimed and still declared one of the greatest adventure games of all time, all thanks to it's witty comedic humor (especially quotes), memorable characters/puzzles (like insult swordfighting) and a fantastic soundtrack, which all entirely defined/pioneered the genre itself and left such a lasting impact that it's influence has spread throughout the industry, even having been exhibited in the Smithsonian American Art Museum (alongside Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros.). It was referenced in multiple games such as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (a Jedi mind trick), Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Witcher 3 and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, even getting a easter egg in Sea of Thieves (complete with a iconic theme song) through the Pirates of the Caribbean expansion, which speaking of, a cancelled movie adaptation's script was apparently re-used for it's very first film in 2003, The Curse of the Black Pearl.

It also achieved a few sequels over the years like Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991), The Curse of Monkey Island (1997), Escape from Monkey Island (2000), Tales of Monkey Island (2009; by Telltale Games which was founded by former LucasArts employees) and the latest game which acts as the finale story, Return to Monkey Island (2022). Remakes of the first two installments (titled "Special Editions") with a hand-drawn artstyle and voice acting with those returning from Curse and Escape, were also released on PlayStation 3 (can be played on PS4 and PS5 via PlayStation Plus Premium), Xbox 360 (also backwards compatible for Xbox One and Series) and iPhone alongside Microsoft Windows.

For additional features/side content, perhaps we should have those like voice acting from a Special Edition remake released in 2009 (via options; not necessary if you're a 1990's kid), different sound cards (with Roland LAPC-1/MT-32 being a default option) and a hint system for newcomers/beginners, who doesn't have any idea what to do next (even helping with insult sword-fighting by having a marklist for quotes and solutions before facing Carla the Sword Master).

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium

Harvest Moon: FoMT (Natsume)

My second game, almost submitted it last round but was not sure it counted as handheld game since it is a remake of a ps1 game. Also thought about putting Stardew Valley instead but still wanted to go with one of the classic games that inspired it.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’m not too familiar with Civ so I’ll just repurpose some achievements:
1. Voyage of the Mayflower: Find or conquer a city from a different continent
2. Dark Horse: Win a game while in a dark age
3. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Have an improved Amber resource in a city with a Zoo and Archaeological Museum
4. Hello Cleveland!: Perform a rock concert in Cleveland
5. Missed That Day In History: Clear nuclear contamination with a Roman legion

And then some action figures:
1. Abraham Lincoln
2. Julius Caesar
3. Qin Shi Huang
4. Victoria

And I’ll do some more action figures for OutRun:
1. BMW 3
2. Chevrolet Corvette
3. KTM 250 Enduro Sport

Last edited:
Second game submission:
Tomb Raider (1996 - PC, Eidos Interactive)
1674063351597.png
Tomb Raider is a action-adventure video game made by CORE Design and published by Eidos Interactive and it's about Lara Croft, an archeologist who is hired by businesswoman Jacqueline Natla to find an artefact called the Scion of Atlantis. Gameplay features Lara navigating levels split into multiple areas and room complexes while fighting enemies and solving puzzles to progress.
This game really became a huge success due to it's gameplay and choice for a protagonist, which it was a woman (she is one of most known video game female protags of all time).

I think that Tomb Raider (1996) deserves to be added to this video game collection due to being insanely popular game that started the eponymous franchise on very high note.

Also we don't have a game that comes from Embracer Group in this collection.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the Arcade and handheld votes:
Arcade
Pong 14
Space Invaders 13
Pac-Man 23
Frogger 4
Dragon’s Lair 3
Bubble Bobble 0
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 1
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes 1
Metal Slug 3 2
Dance Dance Revolution Supernova 2

Handheld
Sonic Advance 2
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 3
Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen 18
Mario Kart DS 13
Nintendogs: Best Friends 8
Rhythm Heaven 5
Chrono Trigger 0
Kirby Super Star Ultra 2
Gravity Rush 7
Animal Crossing: New Leaf 8

So congrats to FazDude FazDude and PeridotGX PeridotGX because Pac-Man and Pokémon: FireRed and LeafGreen will be added! Here are out options for the next jobs so please vote for your top five most wanted. Your own submission can’t be in first.
The Secret of Monkey Island ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Crash Bandicoot ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Tomb Raider ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Tekken 3 ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
UmJammer Lammy ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Rollercoaster Tycoon ( FazDude FazDude )
Rayman 2: The Great Escape ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Halo: Combat Evolved ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Cave Story ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )
Portal ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Assassin’s Creed II ( PeridotGX PeridotGX )
Angry Birds ( FazDude FazDude )
Mass Effect 2 ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Dark Souls (@Darkonedagger)
Minecraft ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Shovel Knight ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )
Cuphead ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Fortnite ( PeridotGX PeridotGX )
God of War (@Darkonedagger)

My votes:
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Halo
  3. Portal
  4. Uncharted
  5. Angry Birds

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Fortnite
2. Minecraft
3. Halo
4. Dark Souls
5. Creed II

Last edited by a moderator:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Shovel Knight
2. The Secret of Monkey Island
3. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
4. Angry Birds
5. Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Are we still doing achievements? Here are some for FRLG - names subject to change if I think of something better.

Catching Achievements:

Almost Legendary Power - Evolve a Dragonair or Pupitar (you can't catch the Beldum or Bagon lines in FRLG so they don't really count)
Now I know my 1-2-3s! - Catch Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres
The Gift of Life - Catch Mewtwo
No More Roaming - Catch Entei, Raikou, or Suicune (you can only get one of the three per game)
The Heart and Soul of Johto - Catch Ho-Oh and Lugia
Delta Now Arrived - Catch Deoxys
#151 - Catch Mew.
You've Caught 'em All... - Catch all 151 Pokemon that originated in the Kanto region

Miscellaneous Achievements:

Where is it?!? - Look under the truck near the S.S Anne
Something's Missing, No? - Talk to the old man that does the catching tutorial, and immediately go to surf on the east coast of Cinnabar Island
Lucky Duck! - Catch a Shiny Pokemon, or have a Pokémon contract Pokerus.
Fairy Tales Aren't Real! - Damage a Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Clefairy, Clefable, or Mr. Mime with a Dragon-Type attack.
If I had a nickel... - Catch 30 Tauros in the Safari Zone
No Cables Required! - Trade a Pokemon with another player
Who's that Pokemon? - Trade a version exclusive with another player
You've... Grown- Trade a Pokemon with another player, and revive it back in it's evolved state
I Choose... All of You! - Trade for a Pokémon that you have to choose between in the game (A Kanto starter, a Kanto fossil, a Hitmon, or a legendary beast)
The Very Best - Battle with another player

HOME Achievements (not required for 100%ing the game unless you link the game with your Pokémon Home account)

Welcome Home, Buddy. - Transfer a Pokemon from an original GBA copy of FRLG to this game (this means going from 3>4>5>Bank>Home)
Not Fiery or Leafy - Transfer a Pokemon from the Virtual Console version of R/B/G/Y to this game
Where did the 3D Go? - Transfer a Pokemon from Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee to this game
New Bark Buddies - Obtain a Pokemon from the Cyndaquil, Chicorita, or Totodile lines
We're Going Back in Time - Obtain Celebi
Hoenn, Sweet Hoenn - Obtain a Pokemon that first appeared in the Hoenn region (excluding Azurill, Wynat, or Deoxys)
Advanced Buddies! - Obtain a Pokemon from the Treeko, Torchic, or Mudkip lines
So, How's the Weather Today? - Obtain a Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza
Wish Maker - Obtain Jirachi
You've REALLY Caught' em All! - Complete the National Dex

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen:
  1. Draw from a Rat - Fill one room of the PC Box with Rattatas
  2. Rat Boy Genius - Fill two rooms of the PC Box with Rattatas
  3. Your Favourite Yellow Rat - Fill one room of the PC Box with shiny Rattatas
  4. Rat Trick - Beat any gym leader with a single Rattata
  5. Rat King - Beat the Champion with a single Rattata
  6. Shining Like The Moon - Catch all 151 Kanto Pokémon's shiny forms.

Pac-Man
  1. Sincerest Form of Flattery - Phase through a ghost.
  2. Blink and You'll Miss It - Reveal what's inside Blinky
  3. Crazy Like Otto - Eat all ghosts with one pellet
  4. We Have Twitch at Home - Watch an entire attract demo
  5. Legally Required Emotional Compensation Achivement - Get cornered by the ghosts.
didn't see tankman's when making this, I would remove the "eat all ghosts" achivement but I think the criteria is just barely different enough.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Are we still doing achievements? Here are some for FRLG - names subject to change if I think of something better.

Catching Achievements:

Almost Legendary Power - Evolve a Dragonair or Pupitar (you can't catch the Beldum or Bagon lines in FRLG so they don't really count)
Now I know my 1-2-3s! - Catch Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres
The Gift of Life - Catch Mewtwo
No More Roaming - Catch Entei, Raikou, or Suicune (you can only get one of the three per game)
The Heart and Soul of Johto - Catch Ho-Oh and Lugia
Delta Now Arrived - Catch Deoxys
#151 - Catch Mew.
You've Caught 'em All... - Catch all 151 Pokemon that originated in the Kanto region

Miscellaneous Achievements:

Where is it?!? - Look under the truck near the S.S Anne
Something's Missing, No? - Talk to the old man that does the catching tutorial, and immediately go to surf on the east coast of Cinnabar Island
Lucky Duck! - Catch a Shiny Pokemon, or have a Pokémon contract Pokerus.
Fairy Tales Aren't Real! - Damage a Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Clefairy, Clefable, or Mr. Mime with a Dragon-Type attack.
If I had a nickel... - Catch 30 Tauros in the Safari Zone
No Cables Required! - Trade a Pokemon with another player
Who's that Pokemon? - Trade a version exclusive with another player
You've... Grown- Trade a Pokemon with another player, and revive it back in it's evolved state
I Choose... All of You! - Trade for a Pokémon that you have to choose between in the game (A Kanto starter, a Kanto fossil, a Hitmon, or a legendary beast)
The Very Best - Battle with another player

HOME Achievements (not required for 100%ing the game unless you link the game with your Pokémon Home account)

Welcome Home, Buddy. - Transfer a Pokemon from an original GBA copy of FRLG to this game (this means going from 3>4>5>Bank>Home)
Not Fiery or Leafy - Transfer a Pokemon from the Virtual Console version of R/B/G/Y to this game
Where did the 3D Go? - Transfer a Pokemon from Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee to this game
New Bark Buddies - Obtain a Pokemon from the Cyndaquil, Chicorita, or Totodile lines
We're Going Back in Time - Obtain Celebi
Hoenn, Sweet Hoenn - Obtain a Pokemon that first appeared in the Hoenn region (excluding Azurill, Wynat, or Deoxys)
Advanced Buddies! - Obtain a Pokemon from the Treeko, Torchic, or Mudkip lines
So, How's the Weather Today? - Obtain a Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza
Wish Maker - Obtain Jirachi
You've REALLY Caught' em All! - Complete the National Dex
Sorry but you can only submit up to five achivements for each game

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Submit A 2D And/Or 3D Platformer

We haven’t technically had a job for 2D and 3D platformers yet so here it is. You can submit any game that has gameplay primarily based on 2D or 3D space platform games. I know this is inevitably going to start the discussion of Nintendo bias especially given how they innovated those genres so I just want to say in my opinion it is important to avoid bias but with this job I do t think it’s too necessary to avoid given it’s so early on. A lot of submissions are inevitably going to be Nintendo so if you want to submit something from Nintendo don’t be hesitant to do so. Plus I’ll probably steal from drifting dimensions and have a job specifically for microsoft and sony after this.

2D Platformer submission:
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (1991 - SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis)
1674407982182.png
Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) is a platform video game made by SEGA and it's about blue hedgehog who runs super fast and wants to defeat Dr. Eggman before he gets the chaos emeralds and takes over the world.
The first game became a huge success taht spawned many games, comic books, toys and etc.
Heck, this game caused Sonic to became a pop culture icon of the all time (especially in the 1990's).

Since we have SMB as signature NES game, then SEGA Mega Drive should get Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
damn and I used up two of my best platformer suggestions on the last job!

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

1674408882401.png

What is a metroidvania? A miserable little pile of backtracking!

jk jk, there are two seminal games in the metroidvania genre: this and Super Metroid. To avoid some Nintendo bias, I went with Castlevania. Symphony of the Night has to be one of the most influential games of all time, what with how many popular indie games these days are metroidvania titles, so it definitely deserves a spot in the collection for gamers to see how the genre all started. Plus a series with the legacy of Castlevania needs to be in here.

3D Platformer submission:
Ratchet & Clank (2002)
1674408826730.png
Ratchet & Clank (2002) is a 3D platformer game made by Insomniac Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.
The game is about titular duo, consisting of Lombax named Ratchet and robot named Clank and they have to save the galaxy from evil with help of Captain Qwark.
The gameplay of the game is like a typical 3D platformer, but you can use random sci-fi guns to attack opponents (which it makes the game unique comparing to other 3D platformers).

I feel that Ratchet and Clank would make sense since we don't have a Sony Interactive game in our collection and R&C (2002) would be the first game from the company.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I'll submit some achivements and action figures

Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen
1. Stomped Out: Beat a bug trainer with only one pokemon
2. Marketable Trainer: Catch a Pikachu
3. Catch Anything You Want!: Get a master ball
4. What?: Refuse a Pokémon evolution
5. Pokévoid: Walk through tall grass without entering a Pokémon encounter

1. Red
2. Blue
3. Professor Oak
4. Pikachu
5. Mewtwo

Pac-Man
1. Pellets
2. Power Pellet
3. Bonus Fruit

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Pokémon figures
  1. Leaf
  2. Brock
  3. Farfetch'd
  4. Grimer and Muk
  5. Drowzee and Hypno
Also, a slimmed down version of my Pokémon achivements to fit the 5 maximum. I'll probably submit the 6th sometime down the line later.
  1. Draw from a Rat - Fill one room of the PC Box with Rattatas
  2. Rat Boy Genius - Fill two rooms of the PC Box with Rattatas
  3. Your Favourite Yellow Rat - Fill one room of the PC Box with shiny Rattatas
  4. Rat Trick - Beat any gym leader with a single Rattata
  5. Rat King - Beat the Champion with a single Rattata

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Oh lol I once again didn't see that we could submit multiple games in this category. Here's my 3D platformer suggestion, then.

Super Mario Galaxy

1674415742007.png

Yeah, it's an obvious one, but there's a reason the ripples of this game are still felt in Super Mario games to this day. The worldbuilding is cute and endearing, the audio/visual design is simply stunning, and most importantly of all, it's one of the most creative and unique platformers out there. All of the funky gravity mechanics that affect the platforming gameplay are still unmatched and a joy to jump through.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Game 1: Super Mario 64 (1996)
1674415909277.png

Yes, I know we already have plenty of Nintendo games, hell we even already have a Mario game. But come on. Super Mario 64 is one of the most influential games of all time, and invented the 3D platformer as we know it today. And unlike many genre creating games of yesteryear, Super Mario 64 still holds up as one of the best in the genre. Unlike Pokemon Red/Green/Blue, which are borderline unplayable in the modern day, the original version of 64 holds up well enough for me to nominate it instead of the DS remake (which I personally prefer, but isn't as iconic as the original). And yes, this would be the original, so you can backwards long jump to your heart's content.

(personally speaking, I think there are only 5 "must have" Nintendo games left: SM64, a Mario Kart, Breath of the Wild, Super Metroid, and Smash Melee or Ultimate. After that, we can cool it on Nintendo, but I still feel those games are mandatory and should be added ASAP.)

Game 2: Shovel Knight (2014)
1674416699315.png

I was planning on submitting Mega Man X, but after thinking it over... I think Shovel Knight is just as deserving. Shovel Knight was one of the first indies to really hit it big, especially on consoles. While 2014 is it's listed release date, it got consistent, free DLC for half a decade, adding three new campaigns and a competitive PVP mode. Shovel Knight is a quadrilogy masquerading as a single game! And the legacy of the game is just as grand, amassing a massive collection of crossovers. While the majority of them are in fellow indie productions like Runbow and Rivals of Aether, some of them are extremely mainstream. Shovel Knight is one of only a handful of third party series to receive a non-Smash Amiibo, sharing that honor with series like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter. The titular Knight is an assist trophy in Smash Ultimate, and if you don't consider Minecraft indie anymore it might be the highest honor for an indie in it. The Xbox and Playstation ports of the game have boss battles against the Battletoads and Kratos respectively, and the game had an Arby's collab of all things. I would say that's enough for it to get a nomination.

Top Bottom