• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection - Continued

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
November/December Release Game:

Resubmitting Super Smash Bros Melee (November 21st, 2001 in Japan; December 3rd, 2001 in North America)

super-smash-bros-melee-button-crop-1641601540515.jpg

The platfighter genre is what inspired people to get into fighting games as of the modern age it seems. Therefore, Super Smash Bros Melee is highly influential to platfighters as it popularized the wave dash which was discovered and the discovery was documented right here on Smashboards. Ultimate is a choice too but Melee also popularized competitive Smash and further boosted the FGC scene. This is what led Smash to the esports territory. I know we have a traditional fighter but I feel we should have a platform fighter in the Ultimate Game Collection as well.

Parappa the Rapper
1671787753490.png

(Release date: 6 December 1996)​
Parappa the Rapper is a rhythm video game developed by Nana-Osha and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment on Playstation back in 1996 in Japan.
The game is about a young pup named Parappa who raps with random people that are featured in this game. The gameplay is about tapping the buttons in the rhythm of the song while Parappa is singing.

This game became a huge success in late 1990's and it's responsible for the start of rhythm games. Heck, DDR, FNF and many rhythm games wouldn't exist if Parappa games never came into existence.

I think it would make sense to include a rhythm game in our game collection, since we haven't got a single one and it wouldn't be a celebration of gaming if we didn't had a rhythm game in the collection.
Plus Parappa had a popularity resurgence recently due to memes based on it.

I know Parappa wasn't released on December outside Japan, but I think it would technically count as a game that was released in november or december.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
November/December submission: Sonic '06

(Release date: November 14, 2006)
I mean, it sure is popular! Infamous probably being the better term here. While the game is near-objectively awful, I wouldn't say it's "i want to stop playing it forever" bad, more like "let's see how much worse it gets lol" bad. It's kind of a fun time when it's not super frustrating. We should definitely have a good Sonic game here down the line, but I do think this is an incredibly important title in the timeline of gaming history that could use a spot in the museum.

Also, achievements for this one would be really fun.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Sonic Adventure 2
(release Date:July 19,2001)

Sonic_Adventure_2_capa.png

Sonic Adventure is a platform game released in 2001,in this game have two sides,the Hero Story and the Dark Story,the Hero Story you can play with Sonic,Tails and Knuckles and the Dark Story you can play with Shadow,Rouge and Dr.Eggman and the game is very known by the soundtrack,memorable songs as Escape From The City.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Like the prompt although dont really remember any release dates nor found a good source other than looking up games i like & hoping to see nov or dec so decided to nominate the one game i knew fit since it literally released like a week or two ago

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The Simpsons: Hit & Run

You know what this compilation needs more of? Licensed games. This title is both TV-based and derivative of an earlier hit, two categories of game with huge but often-overcome stigmas. It'd be great to let this title stand alongside it's inspirations.

Retracted. Game only came out in December for PC
  1. God of War
  2. GTAV
  3. Adventure
  4. Batman

1. Pro Skater
  2. NBA Jam
  3. Wii Sports
  4. Fifa 14

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
TBH I don't really think this was a good idea for a submission job - nobody really remembers the exact release dates of games, and finding that info is extremely hard given specific console SKUs and regional releases are often spaced out
Right, that’s a good point. I think I’ll go with the other option then:

Submit A Videogame With A Snow Level

Games with snow themed levels or a big portion dedicated to a snowy area are eligible.I know a lot of games are eligible here so we’ll have plenty of options here. Remember that we’re judging them based on how they are as games, not the snow levels specifically.

Donkey Kong Country (1994 - SNES)
1671824074153.png
Donkey Kong Country is a platform video game developed by Rare & Nintendo and published by nintendo in 1994 on Nintendo Consoles.
The game is about Donkey Kong, a gorilla who travels through his island in order to get his banana hoard back from Kremlings (evil crocodile group).
This game has a snowy-themed world called Gorrila Glacier and it's a 4th world in the game.

DKC was very popular when was released and it's graphics didn't even aged to this day. Heck, the game even started DKC game series on very high note because it's considered as one of the greatest games of all time.
The game was popular because of pre-rendered graphics, making the game unique comparing to Nintendo's 2D platformer & action adventure games.

I think it would totally make sense to include a second Nintendo platformer since Nintendo is known for making good platformers like SMB (which is included as first game in our collection) or DKC. Plus we don't have a british-made game in our collection, so why can't DKC be one of it?

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Game with Snow Level:

Resubmitting Super Smash Bros Melee

super-smash-bros-melee-button-crop-1641601540515.jpg

The platfighter genre is what inspired people to get into fighting games as of the modern age it seems. Therefore, Super Smash Bros Melee is highly influential to platfighters as it popularized the wave dash which was discovered and the discovery was documented right here on Smashboards. Ultimate is a choice too but Melee also popularized competitive Smash and further boosted the FGC scene. This is what led Smash to the esports territory. I know we have a traditional fighter but I feel we should have a platform fighter in the Ultimate Game Collection as well.

This game has an Ice Climbers stage which has snow and a two in one fighter being the Ice Climbers that have ice involved in their moveset if that counts. Throw in some ice-type Pokemon being from the Pokeballs and the Freezie as an item.

D

Deleted member

They ported it to next gen consoles. They ported it to switch. They ported it to fridges. Now it's time They ported it to another game..

H2x1_NSwitch_TheElderScrollsVSkyrim.jpg

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

A huge sprawling RPG. Skyrim has been on pretty much everything. But it is a genuinely important game. It did a lot of things that influenced later games and, and is still a game that gets talked about to this day. Its frosty winter setting makes it a great fit for this.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 is a platform game released for Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive),in this game Sonic and Tails go to Angel Island,on this island live an equidna called Knuckles,Knuckles catch all chaos emeralds and leave. which version i chose?,the original or Sonic 3 and Knuckles?,obviously the original and i chose for game with snow level because this level:

FazDude

Smash Master
November Game: Sonic Generations (Console version)

So, out of all the Blue Blur's titles, which usually release around the holiday season anyway, why this one? Well, simple - While I'd love to have both a classic and modern Sonic title on the roster, this is a nice compromise for obvious reasons. Plus, it's just a damn solid game as a whole - One of my favorite Sonic games period, honestly.

Retracted; I somehow didn't realize that the criteria had entirely changed. Saul good, though - I have a backup plan.

Snow-Level Game - Santa Claus Saves The Earth

Hey, I didn't say it was a good backup plan.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Oops looks like I missed a few jobs of this. Hope I'll keep better track in the future! But first, votes.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Shadow of the Colossus
4. Adventure

1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
2. NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
3. Wii Sports
4. Tecmo Super Bowl

And now...

Ōkami

1671943963451.png

Ōkami happens to be one of the most beloved action games of all-time and for good reason! Even beyond the tight combo-based gameplay, it has one of the most unique and beautiful art styles ever in a video game, which pretty much singlehandedly garnered this game the cult following that it has. Kamui, the snowy region of the game that allows it to fit this theme, also happens to be one of the prettiest places in it.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I'll submit profiles for Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy VII so we have them all done

Resident Evil 4
The fourth main-line entry in the Resident Evil series and the first one to use an over-the-camera shoulder view. You play as police officer Leon S. Kennedy who travels to Spain to rescue the US president's daughter from an evil cult. Resident Evil 4 features a blend of action and horror segments, giving this game a lot of variety in it. The camera style of this game inspired a whole new generation of shooter games and survival horror games and the mainline Resident Evil games haven't went back to their older style ever since.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII released on the first PlayStation and was the first Final Fantasy game, and one of the first JRPGs, to use polygonal graphics. The first six Final Fantasy games were popular, but had a limited appeal, which all changed with this one which completely blew up in every part of the world due to its revolutionary graphics, tragic story, and slow-paced but fun gameplay. There were a lot of RPGs before Final Fantasy VII but many people simply haven't experienced one of this scale before this.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This seems like a fun thread, I think I'll join in. This is a tricky round, though, there are just so many options - the number of games without any sort of wintery location is slim to none. Here are my votes (I think this is still going on?)

1: Ocarina of Time
2: God of War
3: Shadow of the Colossus
4: Dark Souls

1: Wii Sports
2: Tony Hawk
3: Tecmo
4: NBA Jam

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the sports and action adventure game voting:
Adventure 19
Super Metroid 3
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 27
Shadow of the Colossus 6
God of War 8
Batman: Arkham Asylum 2
Dark Souls 14
Grand Theft Auto V 14
Yakuza 0 6

Tecmo Super Bowl 13
NBA Jam 18
NHL 94 4
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 23
Wii Sports 25
Punch-Out!! 8
FIFA 14 2
Football Manager 2022 1

So The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Wii Sports will both be added! Congrats Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds and AlteredBeast AlteredBeast ! Achievement and profile submissions for both games are now open.

Now, here are our options for games containing a snow level:
Mega Man X ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Donkey Kong Country ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Banjo-Kazooie ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Metal Gear Solid ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Super Smash Bros. Melee ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Santa Claus Saves the Earth ( FazDude FazDude )
Kingdom Hearts II ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Okami ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )
Minecraft ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (@Darkonedagger)
Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )

So please vote for your top four most wanted options in order. My votes:
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Sonic 3
  3. Donkey Kong Country

Honourable mention to Kingdom Hearts II. I think we should eventually add a kingdom hearts game but given that this is supposed to be peoples introduction to videogames maybe not 2 before 1 and chain of memories

Submit The Main Collectible

Submit the main collectible of this game! Please include all of the details about how the collectibles look, are displayed, and how they’d be collected in the first place.

Collectible submission:
Posters
1672509509683.png

(Example of DOOM 1993)​
Posters are type of artwork that can hang on the wall. The posters would be based on character artwork or the game cover like DOOM (pictured above).
In this collection, you could hang them on the walls of your in-game room.

You could get them after beating the game or even collecting all achievements.

Votes:
1. MGS
2. DKC
3. Minecraft

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
  1. Minecraft
  2. Sonic 3K
  3. Crash 4
honourable mentions to Melee and DKC, but I'd rather we cool down on Nintendo content for the time being, don't want a retread of the Another Universe thread's Nintendo issue.

Collectible: Filters

Change the look of your games! These can add CRT filters, the colour limitations of early hardware, a fantasy flare, references to titles with distinct aesthetics like Madworld, or even just make the games ugly and distracting. Any filter goes with any game, so you can happily enjoy your handheld version of Spider Man.

If you beat any game (or reach a certain score on score attack titles), you will unlock one, chosen at random rather than specific to the games.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My collectible submission will be skins. Every game will give you three skins for achievement completion that can be used in a fair amount of other games as well as your character in the hub world. There are three types of skins: cosmetics, costumes and sprite-swaps.

Cosmetics are earned by completing 25% of a game’s achivements. Simple stuff like wigs, sunglasses or hats.
Costumes are earned by completing 50% of a game’s achievement list and are more of an outfit change for the character.
Sprite-swaps completely change a character to be the model or sprite of another character and are earned by completing all of a games achivements list.

The skins you get correspond to the game you get them from so you can get like, Mario’s hat from Super Mario Bros. Again not all skins are applicable to every single game, just most of them

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Mega Man X
2. Minecraft
3. Sonic 3&K

Collectibles: Cheat Codes

Completing a certain amount of achievements in any game will unlock “cheat codes”, which can be accessed with an actual code at any point during playtime (still won’t work if you don’t have it unlocked yet) or from the game’s dedicated cheat code menu. Sometimes they’re just fun to mess around with, but they can even be used to beat other achievements - though when you go to view achievements, ones completed with cheats will be indicated as such with an icon of a genie’s lamp. Given that we have stuff like the Sheng Long route as an achievement, I feel a little help for players who want or need it would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom