• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection - Continued

D

Deleted member

il_fullxfull.1352867050_reqf.jpg

Dragon's Lair
An important peice of gaming history. It's extremely influential and iconic.

gravity-rush-1080x609.jpg

Gravity Rush
I wanted to include something that's not from a Nintendo platform. But I also really think Gravity Rush is a genuinely interesting game that deserves its place here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcade game submission:
Pong
1673176389642.png
Pong is a video game made by Atari in 1972 and it became a huge success that caused the video industry to evolve throughout generations.
Despite it's simple gameplay, this game deserves to be in the collection due to it's cultural impact.

Since we don't have an Atari game, so Pong would be first Atari game to fill the slot.

I'll do the handheld one later if I'm gonna come up with the idea.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
A Nintendo console will probably take this one, but who said the big N had to develop it?

Sonic Advance

There are a ton of fantastic and/or noteworthy games from the Sonic series we could include. But if only one game should get into the collection, let it be this one. A perfect blend of old and new, Sonic Advance revisits the momentum-based precision platforming of the Genesis days with a fresh coat of paint, keeping classic fans satisfied while the modern console games continued to innovate. The game is short when compared with our other titles, but has seven Chaos Emeralds across four playthroughs with a different character in each, all of whom control very differently from one another. There's also the Tiny Chao Garden, and if that sounds like an incredible idea, that's because it is.
Also, if any series can benefit from a 16:9 display, it's absolutely handheld Sonic.

Metal Slug 3

SNK should have some kind of representation in this collection, but as we just added SFII not long ago, and MvC isn't here yet, I don't se KoF and Fatal Fury as very likely for the moment. In that case, I'd like to propose SNK's other most influential game series, Metal Slug. Went with 3 as most people say it's the best one. This series is a sidescrolling shmup with a lot of fun power-ups and awesome boss battles, not to mention an unforgettable cast. SNK obviously makes a ton of other stuff that's also very important and influential, but this is the only one I see actually making it into the collection alonside its competitors.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll do a profile for Ocarina of Time:
After four years without any releases, the Legend of Zelda series came back in a new dimension with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time was one of the biggest worlds in videogames of the time and boasted a huge, sprawling open world and intelligently designed puzzles as the young hero Link grows up to defeat Ganondorf, an evil king threatening the kingdom of Hyrule. The game also invented the “Z-targeting” system where you can lock onto an enemy and your movements will be around them, allowing you to more easily fight against them, which has since become an industry standard still used to this day. Even today Ocarina of Time is often considered one of the greatest games of all time.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I totally get why the Switch doesn't count as a handheld for the purposes of this job but man I use it outside soooo much.

Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova

1673305129554.png

For my arcade game submission, I'm going with the most iconic post-golden age arcade franchise ever. Everyone will immediately recognize the colorful pad of arrows players have to step on in time to dance along to the rhythm of the displayed beat. Not only is this an arcade staple, it's neck and neck with Guitar Hero for being the most successful rhythm game franchise ever. With the light gun shooters and rhythm games like this, one of the biggest draws of arcade games is the unorthodox control setups, something someone could never get with a controller in their hand at home. To represent that in this essential collection, what better than a game played entirely with the feet?

I chose Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova specifically because, even though it's not one of the more iconic early arcade games that I and millions of others have the most hours put into, it was the first game to be released with all features the same on both arcade and on PlayStation. That way, players who don't want to break out the whole mat and do a whole dance can still play to the fullest with their controllers.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

1673306825724.png

Animal Crossing's stock sure has skyrocketed in the past few years, hasn't it? The pandemic molded New Horizons into being one of the best-selling video games of all time, and the social aspects made the franchise a household name for some time. It definitely deserves a spot in this collection, but not New Horizons. The social aspects are great, but less important in a rerelease in a collection like this would supposedly be. Instead, I've gone with the previous entry from the 3DS, a pure handheld. New Leaf still has years of content to squeeze every last drop out of it, like all Animal Crossing games, and I think it has the best and most varied single-player content in the franchise.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

What is there to say about this game? one of the most interesting and fun fighting game experiences out there

Chrono Trigger (DS)

This will probably get rejected due to the lack of big changes but the DS Version of one of the most legendary JRPGs of all time refined and optimized and is the best version of the game

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Screw it I’ll do an MGS profile as well:
Metal Gear Solid tells the story of a legendary mercenary Solid Snake who has to infiltrate Shadow Moses Island, a military base in Alaska that’s been over run by terrorists led by Liquid Snake who want 1 billion dollars and the body of the legendary soldier who abandoned his country, Big Boss. On the way he finds out secrets about the world and a whole host of plot twists. Metal Gear Solid features stealth gameplay that has inspired a whole new genre and its narrative was one of the most in-depth and complex at the time, helping show the power of videogames as an artistic medium

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the strategy and racing and collectible voting:
OutRun 18
Daytona USA 17
Gran Turismo 17
Crazy Taxi 2 2
Need For Speed: Underground 2
Burnout Paradise 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 4
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled 9
Forza Horizon 5 2

Command & Conquer 11
StarCraft 20
Fire Emblem: Awakening 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown 12
Chess Ultra 6
Fire Emblem: Three Houses 2
Civilization VI 25

Posters 9
Filters 1
Cosmetics 7
Cheat Codes 5
Art Books 11
Action Figures 16
Consoles and accessories 6
Boxes 0

So OutRun and Civilization VI will both be added, and Action Figures will be our main collectible! From now on you’ll be able to submit up to five figures for each game. Keep in mind that they have to be from the specific game and it has to use the name/design from the specific game. Achievement and profile submissions for both games are open as well.

Now here are the options for arcade and handheld games. Please vote for your top three most wanted options for both categories.
Arcade
Pong ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Space Invaders ( PeridotGX PeridotGX )
Pac-Man ( FazDude FazDude )
Frogger ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Dragon’s Lair (@Darkonedagger)
Bubble Bobble ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Metal Slug 3 ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Dance Dance Revolution Supernova ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )

Handheld
Sonic Advance ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen ( PeridotGX PeridotGX )
Mario Kart DS ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Nintendogs: Best Friends ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Rhythm Heaven ( FazDude FazDude )
Chrono Trigger ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Kirby Super Star Ultra ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Gravity Rush (@Darkonedagger)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )

My votes:
1. Pong
2. Space Invaders
3. Pac-Man

1. Nintendogs
2. Mario Kart
3. Aria of Sorrow

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
lmaoooo my submission finally wins a job in the same round I get zero votes in another job. We call that versatility!

1. Space Invaders
2. Dragon's Lair
3. Pac-Man

1. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen
2. Kirby Super Star Ultra
3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll start us off with some action figures.
Super Mario Bros.
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Princess Toadstool
4. Toad
5. Bowser

Final Fantasy VII
1. Cloud
2. Tifa
3. Aerith
4. Sephiroth

Street Fighter II
1. Ryu
2. Ken
3. Chun-Li
4. Guile
5. Dhalsim

Resident Evil 4
1. Leon Kennedy
2. Ashley Graham
3. Ada Wong

Tetris
1. T-Tetromino
2. O-Tetromino
3. I-Tetromino
4. L-Tetromino

Doom
1. Doomguy
2. Cacodemon
3. Spider Mastermind

Ocarina of Time
1. Link (Young)
2. Malon
3. Ganondorf
4. Link
5. Zelda

Wii Sports
1. Matt

Metal Gear Solid
1. Solid Snake
2. Meryl
3. Otacon
4. Roy Campbell
5. Liquid Snake

OutRun
1. Ferrari Testarosa

Civilization VI
1. Gandhi

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
  1. Pac-Man is Naked, and So Should You
  2. Dragon's Lair
  3. Little Pluckies Ninja Protects

1. Gravity Rush
  2. Nintendogs
  3. Rhythm Heaven
IMO the original Pokémon Red and Blue would be better.
Outrun
  1. Magical Sound Shower - Select all songs at least once
  2. Eyes on the Road - Complete any route on Normal or above without wrecking or hitting a car

SMB Action Figures
  1. Goomba
  2. Koopa Troopa
  3. Blooper
  4. Cheep Cheep
  5. Buzzy Beetle

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Pac-Man
2. Space Invaders
3. Dragon's Lair

1. Pokémon
2. Animal Crossing
3. Nintendogs

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
I'll submit action figures

Super Mario Bros.
Lakitu
Blooper

Street Fighter 2
Zangief
Vega
M. Bison
Blanka
Sagat

Final Fantasy VII
Barret
Jenova

Tetris
J-Tetromino
S-Tetromino
Z-Tetromino

Resident Evil 4
Dr. Salvador

Doom
Baron of Hell
Cyberdemon
Pink Demon
Imp
Zombieman

Metal Gear Solid
Psycho Mantis

Zelda Ocarina of Time
Saria
Impa

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Submit A Game From An Unrepresented Company

This will be a pretty open ended job where you can submit up to two games from a company that has not published a game in this collection yet. Two will be added. It’s fine if the company published a game that is currently being voted on in the previous job.

Unrepresented company submission:
Halo: Combat evolved (Microsoft - 2001)
1673772065241.png

Halo: Combat evolved is a FPS video game made by Bungie studios and Microsoft game studios and it takes place in 26th century, with the player assuming the role of the Master Chief, a cybernetically enhanced supersoldier. The Chief is accompanied by Cortana, an artificial intelligence. Players battle aliens as they attempt to uncover the secrets of the eponymous Halo, a ring-shaped artificial world.
This game was a killer app for Xbox consoles when it was released.

Halo: Combat evolved became a critical and commercial success and is often praised as one of greatest video games of all time. Heck, it even started an iconic franchise after the success of the first game by selling games, novels and other stuff.
Also this game has very good soundtrack like the main theme for notorious example (there are also different good songs in the series).

I think I would make sense to include Halo: Combat Evolved since we don't have a Microsoft game in our game collection, so Halo would be the first game to represent Xbox consoles.
Also Halo is one of influential FPS games alongside DOOM (1993) and Quake.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Um Jammer Lammy

Finally, non-Sony gamers can experience the riviting story of a teenage girl being mistaken for a pregnant woman, using a chainsaw as a guitar, and then going to hell.

In all seriousness, we really need to get something Sony out of the way before he wave a repeat of the Another Universe Smash thread.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Crash Bandicoot

Crash_Bandicoot_1_capa.png

Crash Bandicoot is a platform game released on 1996,the game tells a story of Crash Bandicoot that he was a experiment of Dr.Cortex and his mission is save his girlfriend Tawna,yes,that cliché of damsel is distress.

The game revolutioned the platform games being the most important 3D platform games,same from Super Mario 64.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight

1673806913150.png

A job about alternative developers seems like a great place to introduce an indie game into the mix! And Shovel Knight has two good things going for it. Not only is it one of the most critically acclaimed platformers ever, with tight controls and masterful but nostalgic level design that stretches over four full-length campaigns, it's also quite important to video game history. It really spurned the 2010s indie boom, setting the stage for, say, games like Undertale to take over the world.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
New Game from a Unrepresented Company - Rayman 2: The Great Escape

• Genre: Action-Adventure & Platformer
  • Company: Ubisoft Entertainment (France; potentially the first European game for a change from all these Japanese titles - future job?)
  • Release Date: October 29th, 1999
Rayman 2: The Great Escape is a 3D platform game created by Ubisoft in 1999 and the sequel to the original 1995 game, which focuses on the title character in his journey to save the Glade of Dreams from an army of robotic pirates led by their evil captain Admiral Razorbeard. The game was critically acclaimed for it's gameplay, accessibility, colourful visuals/graphics, fantasy themes, memorable characters, dynamic level design, dark atmosphere/tone, serious storyline and phenomenal soundtrack, even regarded as one of the best 3D platformers of the 1990's generation alongside Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and many others. It also worked as the main inspiration and big/key influence for Double Fine Productions' video game series Psychonauts and it's 2021 sequel (with Rayman's creator/father, Michel Ancel himself, mentioned in a' "Special Thanks" section of the latter's credits), created by a Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts veteran Tim Schafer (known for games like Monkey Island alongside colleagues Ron Gilbert & Dave Grossman, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Brutal Legend and Broken Age).

Rayman 2 has been released on multiple platforms such as Nintendo 64 (original console), PC/Windows, SEGA Dreamcast, the original PlayStation, Game Boy Color (as Rayman 2 Forever), iOS devices, Nintendo DS (Rayman DS) & 3DS, and finally, PlayStation 2 under the title "Rayman Revolution", which expanded the game with enhanced graphics, new areas (plus a hub world), bosses and mini-games. Each version/port has their own exclusive content and noticeable differences like N64's menu transitions, PC's The Knowledge of the World (that allows you to browse through the lore of Rayman's world), Dreamcast's Globox Village/Isle of Doors/4-player minigames, PS1's Ninjaws boss/a 2D prototype level and afore-mentioned changes/features in Revolution.

If I have to choose for this thread, we'll probably use either the SEGA Dreamcast (which Michel Ancel considered the game's definitive edition) or PlayStation 2 (Revolution) version, with perhaps some elements from other ports being included as additional features (akin to Sheng Long in Street Fighter II: The World Warrior).

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I had a Crash Bandicoot 2 submission but since the first one has already been submitted I’ll go with back up picks:

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (2007)

“Cinematic” games are Sony’s bread and butter currently and Uncharted was one of the biggest innovators to the current model so I think it would be a good pick for history alone, but it also has pretty simple and approachable gameplay and a story that isn’t much but still likely to draw players in.

Tekken 3 (1997)

Tekken is often considered one of the greatest fighting game series and 3 is often considered the best in the series. It features the debut of a lot of new characters meaning it’s great for newcomers to the series and it’s “each button controls a limb” style of gameplay makes it pretty approachable as far as fighting games too.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (2nd Submission)

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is a fighting game of the Mortal Kombat franchise, the game is kinda a updated version of Mortal Kombat 3 as putting the fan-favorite characters as Kitana and Scorpion. the game is ported by other consoles as Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 2 and etc.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Submission #1: Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft, 2009).
1673826888482.png

I know little of the Assassin's Creed series, so I don't know if this game would be the best representation of the series, but I do know it introduced the series' mascot, Ezio Auditore. There should be little argument that Assassin's Creed as a series deserves to be here, though.
Submission #2: Fortnite (2017, Epic Games)
fortnite---button-1520296499714.jpg

Love it or hate it, there's no denying how impactful Fortnite is, and I think that makes it's inclusion warranted. Getting Fortnite through the collection gives you the founders pack, something previously unavailable for years - having it let's you accumulate V-bucks simply by playing. It will also give you access to Save The World at no additional cost.

If Fortnite is dead (is no major content updates) by the time this collection releases, all the prior content is included but the game itself is also changed. Every month, there's a new "micro season", which is somewhat similar to Salmon Run - the map is randomly chosen from a prior season, and every week the item pool slightly changes from all the items in Fortnite history (this allows anachronisms like a shockwave hammer on the C1S1 map). These micro seasons also have a micro battle pass, which have 35 levels and consist of 3-4 sets pseudo randomly chosen from prior battle passes (this means that old battle pass skins can finally be re-accessed). The shop also randomly shifts, and all items have their V-buck prices halved (unless the company company that collaborated is being mean).

D

Deleted member

1648.jpg

Dark Souls
Fromsoft games are a genre in and of themselves at this point. So many people have tried to imitate them. We could have went with Elden Ring, the most recent entry, which while clearly brilliant, may be a little too new. We could also have went with Bloodborne, my personal favorite. But I think as a PlayStation IP it simply faces too much competition.

Instead we'll go back to the original. (Okay Demon Souls came first but I think pepole would prefer to have Dark Souls.). It's still considered a great game and is where most of the memes and iconic imagery comes from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom