• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So... just randomly curious.
What are everyone's overall thoughts on Echo fighters?

I personally really like them, as they do not take up too much development time, but they still make fans happy. Never thought I'd see the day that Daisy and Chrom would get in Smash, but it arrived.
Brawl did clones of any kind, under any definition, the best. I'm at a point where I'd much rather have Dark Samus and Chrom and Richter as future DLC with more uniqueness, then to have them be echo characters on day one on the base roster.

D

Deleted member

Would you rather have 1 more unique instead of 6 Echo fighters, Therfore making the rooster smaller? I don't even think there would be enough development time to focus on one newcomer, compared to 6 Echoes
I mean, if 6 Melee clones =/= 1 unique, I don't think 6 echoes = 1 unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

They're lazy wastes of character potential meant to satisfy people with low standards and only want their characters technically in than be meaningful and unique additions to the roster.

I would rather they didn't get in now if they could be added again later as at least semi-unique.

Even Dragonball FighterZ with its 4 Gokus play differently.
Look, I get clones have the same moveset, but just enjoy the game. There are still a ton of different characters to have fun in a semi fighting party game.
Oh, I'll enjoy it.
I'll just enjoy it... with a smidgen of disappointment.
You do not have to be edgy over a few clones, just enjoy the darn game.
Pretty much the same as when they were in Smash 4, Brawl, Melee (especially Melee), and 64 before they lacked the special distinction.

I don't find super derivative characters particularly interesting, and by their nature those, typically, are the kind destined to be clones. Plus, the bar for becoming a clone is lower than a standard character. If they were truly important, they'd eventually get in as original. But hey, more characters.
"Shiny Happy Person"
I have found my long lost friend.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
This info drought is making me lose consciousness...
So uh, which Smash characters do you think are in Smash?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I used to be opposed to echoes because I thought they were lazy, but then when we learned that echoes can have their own unique moves and is pretty much the only way Shadow could get in the game, I became much more ok with them.

I'd rather have an expanded roster with more characters and some of them being echoes than fewer characters and no echoes. Obviously we'd all prefer more unique fighters than echoes but time and resources are finite so their existence is an acceptable compromise to me.
Personally, I'd rather wait until the next Smash game instead of rushing Sakurai to put in a character as an easy Echo, thus permanently ruining any chance of the character getting his/her own identity and unique moveset.

I mean, even with the sword, Ganon is still a semi-clone. I'd hate to see Dixie get stuck with a nearly identical variation of Diddy's Rocketbarrel Jetpack and Peanut Popgun.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Welp gg, no announcement this week
*facepalm*

It’s approximately 10 am our time is when something could get announced besides neither the smash direct nor general direct were announced on the official site.

Besides 10 days after the video list update is when the trailer gets revealed so Thursday or friday

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
*facepalm*

It’s approximately 10 am our time is when something could get announced besides neither the smash direct nor general direct were announced on the official site.

Besides 10 days after the video list update is when the trailer gets revealed so Thursday or friday
10 days would be Wednesday, but I can see it being anytime this week tbh.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
>no memories
Well, that's just insulting, you'd think his game would merit having that.
Randomly giving the rest of the world a memory, then not even giving Japan a memory.
Please don't come up with a theory about this.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Oh are we rating pokemon games? Okay heres my thoughts

B2W2 > HGSS > ORAS > BW > SM > RBY > XY > RSE > DP > FRLG

never played platinum or usum. its also been so long since I played second gen my takes on it wouldnt really be worth anything.
Out of all those I played, which includes each one from Platinum up to Ultra Moon:

BW2>P>BW>HGSS>ORAS>SM>USUM>XY

Last edited:

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Would you rather have 1 more unique instead of 6 Echo fighters, Therfore making the rooster smaller? I don't even think there would be enough development time to focus on one newcomer, compared to 6 Echoes
Unpopular opinion but yeah I would rather have the 6 echos. I would love to see Shadow, or Black Knight, or Medusa, or Ken, or even a Dixie Kong echo make the game over a new character like Bandanna Waddle Dee.

D

Deleted member

We get a memory for Fox, then when Wii Fit Trainer comes, we're back to not getting memories.
Honestly, had they not translated Fox's memory, I would've thought they were a Japan-only thing. Good work, Intern-kun. By translating that one post, you made the blog staff look even more incompetent.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Since I see it brought up from time to time, I don't know what I'd feel about Alola getting a Pokémon Trainer-sort of deal but not Kalos (not that I think either has any chance of happening). I certainly don't like the idea of three more final starter forms before any other representation in any case.

Also, since everyone's weighing in on Pokémon generations, of the ones I've played:
XY > BW1 ~ BW2 > HGSS ~ FRLG > DP > ORAS ~ SM ... and I stopped like 2/3 of the way into Melemele into USUM and couldn't be bothered to continue.
(Haven't played the original versions of RBY/GSC or the third versions of RS/DP)

Also, I've always liked clones, often more than their non-clone variants. (But please make Doc not objectively horrible this time, Sakurai)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unpopular opinion but yeah I would rather have the 6 echos. I would love to see Shadow, or Black Knight, or Medusa, or Ken, or even a Dixie Kong echo make the game over a new character like Bandanna Waddle Dee.
I mean, you're using the absolute worst example of a new character there

:4pacman:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So we got an update for Dr. Mario.

:ultdoc:
He has more attack and launch power than Mario, but his jump and recovery is not as good. Pro tip: You can repeatedly press the B button when using his down special, Dr. Tornado, to float a bit!

It’s interesting how we have two fighters back to back. We may get a 4 fighter blogs this week, which may help the “blog theory” so far. Aside from that, we may be going through blog posts faster now.

Last edited:
Theres the Flashback theory.

Which says that the reason the starfox memory was translated was because it meant...

the chair theory would be proven true soon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We get a memory for Fox, then when Wii Fit Trainer comes, we're back to not getting memories.
Honestly, had they not translated Fox's memory, I would've thought they were a Japan-only thing. Good work, Intern-kun. By translating that one post, you made the blog staff look even more incompetent.
Then Dr. Mario gets bupkis. Make up your minds, you site morons, even trained monkeys would do a better job. :ultdiddy:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fighter 06e: Bandana Waddle Dee :4pacman:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So we got an update for Dr. Mario.

:ultdoc:
He has more attack and launch power than Mario, but his jump and recovery is not as good. Pro tip: You can repeatedly press the B button when using his down special, Dr. Tornado, to float a bit!

It’s interesting how we have two fighters back to back. We may get a 4 fighter blogs this week, which can recoup the 2 fighter posts from the last couple of weeks.
YES! It's ma main!
>but his jump and recovery is not as good

Aww what? Are you telling me he's gonna have his Smash 4 jump height again? Blehhh. In his fighter video he had the same jump height as Mario, looks like they're nerfing it again. :/

I just hope he doesn't completely suck like he did in Smash 4. Like, they did such a horrible job of balancing him in comparison to Mario in that game.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So, here are the characters I plan on picking up, and I'm planning on:

Competitive (no items, For Glory)
:ultpit::ultlucario::ultwolf:

Bordering seriously on Competitive
:ultfox:

Casual (items, any stage, For Fun)
:ultpokemontrainer::ultkirby::ultdarksamus:

Undecided (But I AM playing)
:ultgreninja:

Playing the Best Buy demo really helped me decide where to go with Pit and Pokemon Trainer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why do you guys care so much about the memories, you already know the games in question...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Because I'm bored.

Super Smash Bros. (1999; Nintendo 64): :mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::ness64::falcon64::jigglypuff64:
Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001); Nintendo GameCube)::peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::drmario::pichumelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::gawmelee:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008); Nintendo Wii)::metaknight::pit::zerosuitsamus::wario::snake::ike::pt::diddy::lucas::sonic::dedede::olimar::lucario::rob::toonlink::wolf:
Sm4sh (2014; Nintendo Wii U and Nintendo 3DS)::4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018; Nintendo Switch)::ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle:
Dark Pit and Lucina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom