• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

AlexX

Smash Ace
The emphasis on spacing makes me think this person has a sword since spacing is always to their advantage. Going with who's left, this leaves the Fire Emblem guys, and the comment about combos makes me think Marth. Therefore, my vote is for Marth.

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
I will say Olimar.

If you space well, his range is very advantagous. He can combo his aerials at low percentages. On some characters he has a dthrow > fsmash chainthrow. That's a quite unusual combo. He can also do quite a bit of damage to shields with smashes and aerials. But, he is easily punishable if he loses too many pikmin.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Marth or Lucario.

The obvious choice is Marth.

Because the obvious choice is Marth (tippers, ShieldBreaker, and I've heard Emblem Lord talk about how you must be completely precise and play smartly, or you'll die), I'm going to say that it is DEFINITELY Lucario.

(Although it probably IS Marth)

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
My best guess would be ZSS but it could be any number of characters.

Edit: Or Ike if they want to emphasize the AAA combo.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I still stick to Ivysaur. He fits the description even better than Marth or Wario. Also, the Back Room has plenty of time before the tier list is released. There's always a possibility that they'll do each Pokemon separately so they can put emphasis on each particular Pokemon's features, then after they're done with that, they'll do the Trainer as a whole to describe how well they can work together.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Olimar isn't that easily punishable, nor is Marth, and IDK about Wario. Sounds like Ivy.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
All the characters already suggested are reasonable suggestions, and the more likely ones. However, here are my interpretations of another, more biased interpretation.

This description actually sounds quite a bit like Sonic, even if I doubt it's him. Sonics attacks are nearly all easy to punish, yet he is definately great at punishing whiffed attacks, for several reasons but especially because of his speed. Sonic definately has very unusual combos, although I wouldn't necesarily say only against "some characters. Finally, the hint about "shiled pressure game" can be seen in too ways. The normal interpretation is being able to pressure shields, which sonic can do quite well with attacks like his Shieldpoking Fair and an multiple hit ASC(Aerial Spin Charge) which destroys shields pretty nastily. The other interpretation, although less likely and rather more arbitrary, is the chracters ability to pressure with its own shield. Good Sonics abuse shield cancelled dashes, and the ASC and >B cancel into a shield as well. Finally, spacing is key with Sonic because most his attacks have great startup and end lag, and you don't want to have them punished. Sonic probably has one the greatest distance giving stutter steps, making spacing his Fsmash crucial and also a great ability. His speed allows for great ground spacing ability overall.

When I read the hint, I was surprised to see that although those are not the typical characteristics of sonic one would expect, they actually fit the description of a good sonic very well.

The Star King

Smash Hero
W00t! Pikachu! 2 correct guess streak!

The next one is a tough one. As I was reading, I was definitely thinking about Marth, but then I read the part about being easy to punish and unusual combos, which kind of threw me off. Since Marth isn't so easy to punish, IMO, I would say Ike is now more likely, but for now I'll say that it's Marth, since he has some of the best shield pressure in the game with double f-airs that are hard to get past, dancing blade downward combo, which can shield stab, and the Shield Breaker, which, of course, breaks shields. He also relies on spacing to alternate between the tip of the sword and the blade itself, each for the right situation.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
W00t! Pikachu! 2 correct guess streak!

The next one is a tough one. As I was reading, I was definitely thinking about Marth, but then I read the part about being easy to punish and unusual combos, which kind of threw me off. Since Marth isn't so easy to punish, IMO, I would say Ike is now more likely, but for now I'll say that it's Marth, since he has some of the best shield pressure in the game with double f-airs + dancing blade downward combo, and relies on spacing to hit with the tip of the sword.
Marth is very easy to punish if he misses a smash. If he is going to use a smash, he has to make sure it hits.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Marth is very easy to punish if he misses a smash. If he is going to use a smash, he has to make sure it hits.
Only the f-smash is commonly used in competitive play, and a smart user will only use it in situations impossible to punish, mostly for edgeguarding, though it has decreased range from Melee.

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
Along with these suggestions, one of my thoughts was Ivysaur. I dont know if they are doing Pokemon trainer separately, but if they are, Ivysaur would fit the bill quite nicely. Lots of long-range attacks that are amazing for spacing, with many moves that have a fair amount of lag (and are therefore punishable if whiffed,) but deal obscene damage. Combos and shield pressure I'm not sure about, since I don't main PT, but seems to me to be almost as likely as Marth.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think they'll have to do all the Pokemon Trainer pokemon seperately, because it's three vastly different styles that is too much to talk about in one week. Then, perhaps they will discuss Pokemon Trainer as a whole later on.

comboking

Smash Master
ike

it could be his jab can torture shield all his attacks are strong but have alot of lag and his nuetral air can combo

Napilopez

Smash Lord
It really sounds perfect for marth. The only thing thats stopping me from being 100% sure is that most of his attacks are punishable part. I wouldn't say that about marth, his smashes aren't any mre punishable than most ther characters. On the ther hand, his attacks are indeed exceptional at punishing. The whole "read you opponents attacks" part immediately reminds me of his counter.

My guesses, in order of probability:

Marth
Ike
Sonic

All apply fairly well.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So at first, I was thinking "OH GOD NOT SONIC!". Thank goodness Sonic's combos aren't character-specific.

I'm leaning towards Marth.

From what I've read elsewhere, Marth's aerials are weak to spotdodge or pshieldgrabs, and his whiffed d-air tends to kill (him) due to its landing lag and commitment time (which sucks for people who accidentally ff d-air)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
marth isn't easy to punish and his combos aren't unusual. guess again people
You have a point! If that's the case, then it is DEFINITELY Lucario.

Lucario has a ****load of unusual TRUE combos, from Fair-Fair-DJFair-Dair KO combo to the classic Fair followups and jab-mixups.

Also, Fair-Aura Sphere Charge is by far the most FUN combo to pull off in the game. :D

Actually, I'll just read through the hint and say how it applies to Lucario better than anyone else, now.

Descriptions are in red.
Update #16: ?????

7/29/08

If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against.Hell yes. As any Marth, GnW, or Olimar user will tell you, a spaced Offense is the best Defense, and will keep you living far beyond your average death range, as spacing properly means you will not get hit as often, or that you will be hit only by faster, weaker "flail" moves. Lucario, as we all know, MUST survive. Well, this kinda applies to all characters, but Lucario moreso in that he MUST survive to high % to allow his Aura ability to take effect. Lucario has very long disjointed hitboxes, and this allows him to space himself very well. A good Lucario relies on spacing. Heck, even Azen can tell you that. But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing.Most of Lucario's moves, despite what people tell you, are actually kinda slow, and have very narrow hitboxes. Because of this, you must be able to predict what your opponent will do in order to properly counter them with your moves. Fsmash is the biggest example. It's a great move, and we all love it. It has amazing range horizontally, and has invisible hitboxes around the tip. HOWEVER, it is so easy to jump over and punish, it's sad. With a shield pressure game that few can rival,Lucario will NOT break your shield, but he will either clip through it, or force you to drop it. Fsmash will push them far away, letting them think that they're safe. Ftilt spam will hit them as soon as they let it down to attempt a counter, and Fair-Dair will clip through almost any shield. Aura Sphere Charge eats shields like there's no tomorrow, as well. Also, the extended hitboxes on most of Lucario's attacks usually trick a foe into thinking that it's safe to drop a shield, when it really isn't. :D and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters,No explanation necessary. Lucario is the king of combos. this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands. Azen.
However, most of this also applies to Olimar.

Olimar is spacing incarnate. His long-range allows him to keep his opponents at bay with very little risk, so long as he does it perfectly right. His smashes are all completely punishable from either the sides or above, and I guess he can shield pressure with Pikmin Throw, as they'll have to deal with the Pikmin once they let their shield down. However, this isn't really excellent shield pressure. I hear he has some unusual combos, though, so that may definitely fit.

HOWEVER, They do have a habit of messing with the hints slightly, so it may still be Marth. By unusual combos, they may just mean Dancing Blade or the release grab combos.

I'm still rooting for Lucario. We won't spam up the topic if it is! D:

Top Bottom