• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Elektrik

Smash Rookie
Marth.

What gave it away was spacing and shield pressure (Shieldbreaker anyone? Even dancing blade does wonders.)

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i agree with all of the lucario what not. he is a valid candidate. tons of combos like with fair but when he lands an fair its straight to lag city(a punishable place), a lot of his smashes have quite a bit of startup and ending lag aswell.
utilt is a great combo move and doing a move then aaa combo can reak havok on sheilds.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against. But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing. With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.
Lemme take a crack at this-it's Marth

Spacing- Marth is all about spacing. Marth requires constant thoughts in battle as his moves are generally punishable unless they're perfectly spaced.

Punishable- Marth is punishable, especially on his Smashes, since they lag quite a bit.

Shield pressure- Shield Breaker eats shields, Dancing Blade and shield stab weakened shields. Tipped Fair and other stuff and hurt shields while putting Marth out of punishment range

Exceptional at punishing- Dancing Blade yeah

Unusual combos- I dunno...Fthrow -> Fthrow -> Dair on Falco? Marth isn't a combo kind of guy, but then again, the SBR likes to shift between obvious or not.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Olimar - He is the spaciest character in the game, and hates spot-dodgers. These can really cause Olimar pain when a F-smash gets wiffed. Shield pressure - longest grab in the game allows him to grab while being out of grab range. Great at punishing with those long quick smashes, huge grab range, and purple pikmin. Unusual combos - I am not sure, but I heard his tilts and non-pikmin attacks combo into pikmin based ones. Supposedly, he also has a lot of interesting tactics reguarding his throw.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Marth fits the bill the best. Spacing is everything with him because of his strong tipper. People hated playing Marth since Melee and a couple of his moves are punishable while they punish when used correctly like his dair.

cutter

Smash Champion
I really think it's Marth. He lives off spacing and has fantastic sheild pressure in his neutral B, Side B, and Fair. His smashes are easily punished if shielded, but said smashes are amazing at punishing themselves.

Combos can include side B shenanigans, grab release abuse, and some minor chainthrowing with his Fthrow on some characters.

Also note there is ZERO mention of a projectile game. It has to be Marth.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think I'm gonna shy away from Olimar since they didn't mention anything about weaknesses.
I didn't think they would mention weaknesses when doing Olimar's hint. Spacing champion + terrible recovery = easy to guess character like last week.

EDIT: while they didn't mantion a projectile (which is a good point) tell me - is Marth's primary attribute his spacing? Is Marth sinonomous with spacing like Olimar is?

Browny

Smash Hater
If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against. But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing. With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.
Mmmk characters left

Bowser, DK, Fox, Ike, Jiggs, Kirby, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Ness, Olimar, Peach, Pit, PT, Shiek, Sonic, Wario, Yoshi, ZSS

Characters who care about spacing

Bowser, DK, Ike, Kirby, Lucario, Marth, Olimar, Peach, Pit, Sonic, Yoshi

characters with many punishable moves

Bowser, DK, Ike, Kirby, Marth, Yoshi

characters with threatening moves to punish with

DK, Ike, Kirby, Marth

Unusual combos

Ike, Kirby, Marth

I think those three can all pressure shields well. Ikes AAA makes short work of anything less than a full shield, kirbys dash attack does too. Obviously marth has shieldbreaker, but i dont think anyone even bothers with it since dancing blade is better in practically every way, but even that isnt very threatening to shields.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Except that ZSS fits all of those, djbrowny. Not sure why you knocked her out at "characters that care about spacing," unless you've never used her.

Adapt

Smash Lord
umm... djbrowny...

ZSS is all about spacing, why'd you kick her off there?

Most of her moves have sweetspots, blind spots, or have enough ending lag that you have to use them at their extent or risk getting punished.

EDIT: ****... kicked out of the post #4500 by a simulpost saying the same thing. My fault for explaining things...
at least i get the 4500th reply :)

T-REX!

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say Ike, he punishes well and is easily punished for a whiffed attack.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
It's got to be Marth. He just fits it so well. Spacing is obviously important, many of his moves are punsihable, he's great at nailing you if you screw up, can pressure your shield like no other with shield break, dancing blade, etc, has some pretty messed up combos, and is just generally a ***** to play against.

Meanwhile, there is a significant possibility to Ike. He definitely relies heavily on spacing, he is both punishable and a powerful punisher, and autocancelled nairs and jab cancels can pressure shields fairly well. He doesn't really have much for combos on characters, though, whereas Marth has those ridiculous grab releases on Mother's boys and a bunch of other combos.

For a WTF character, Yoshi has a small argument. He has some grab release combos, and bair is great at shield pressuring. But he doesn't really rely on spacing THAT much, and he's not that great of a punisher, either.

In the end, though, it's got to be Marth. Ike, Yoshi, and whoever else have possibilities, but Marth is just perfect.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hey I got Pikachu. Law of averages. :dizzy:

It can't be Marth. He is summed up by 'spacing', but while I'm no Marth expert. . . isn't one of his major strengths his unpunishable attacks? I mean not only does he have disjoint hitboxes and reasonably good DI, but nair and fair are so fast. . .

I thought Kirby but I wouldn't think he'd be described as a good punisher.
There's a strong case for Ike, but can he really make life excruciating for his enemies, even if his spacing is 'mastered'?

There are so many other possibilities. The one sentence that is the crucial hint is the last: "With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands."

A shield pressure game, and effective, unusual combos.

Kirby has unusual combos but I don't know of any shield pressure.
Ike would have no combos of any sort (except Jab combos *snicker*)

I would almost think Lucario. . . amazing defensive character who controls the stage, laggy attacks with lots of power, combos, and IIRC, shield pressure. But last I checked, his combos are straightforward.

tch, Peach is consistent with the description. She is annoying.

... there's too many possibilities. I don't think it's decidable.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
As a Ness main, he relies a lot on spacing... and has high risk/reward attacks (PKT2, PKFire). Just throwing that out there, although Olimar sounds most likely.

Top Bottom