• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer

Smash Apprentice
I beg of you, brawl community. Lets start looking at the tact that people are using to win, instead of the character himself. Face it. If a MK didn't camp, is the matchup really that terrible? I don't think so, in the slightest. If we just regulated Camping in a whole, which I know that we can do, I think that you'll see MK isn't that bad. This could be the step to making this game a better experience for everybody.
Unless I've misunderstood M2K, the VERY BEST strategy to deal with MK is to camp against him. Take away camping, and MK gets better.

ADHD

Smash Hero
There's some nice little cash prizes for winning in brawl, people will just go to snake that wanted an easier time to win with metaknight.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Which means I'll have a chance in beating themw ith my Sonic. YAY! No 80:20 disadvantage!
Oh crap its a Wario!
Switch to Yoshi and grab release him. OMIGOSH we should proved that no metaknight means the counterpick system comes back. XD

Edress you better watch out. Five people could laugh at you. Could you handle that? What happens when the melee community reaches 10 people?

Seriously though, I really think the MK's will be very upset if MK gets banned. They might all quit. If MK really does make up about 40% that is a lot of people quitting brawl.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Picking this statement out because it's a fallacy. He did not say what you just said (though his point was exaggerated). He said that a player can pick up MK and be on par against players of significantly higher skill that happen to play other characters. Now, that's not true for a good Snake and maybe even a couple other characters, but it's not nearly as off as what you said.

I think this is the third straw man fallacy I've pointed out in 24 hours. Why can't SWF just realize that this is a fallacy. Your statement does not disprove the other person's argument, because it does not even address the other person's argument.

His argument was not perfect, there were several logical ways you could have tried to deconstruct it (using Snake as an example of him being wrong would probably be best). Instead, you straw manned the argument. Epic failure.
As I have stated previously, I am on the fence about metaknight. Just to be clear.

But to continue on what i was saying. Metaknight has a few advantages most characters don't. An overall superior moveset. No stage weakness. No character weakness with a few neutrals. I happen to play one of those neutrals which is part of the reason I am on the fence. While I have not experienced extreme difficulty vs metaknight I can see how he limits which characters are played at tournaments and how far more would be played were he not a factor. My preference is to see more characters at tournaments. But I also hate banning.

While you are correct, every game has those characters that are "top" and "low". Most do not have a character that dominates and changes the game the way metaknight does. If he was banned, tournaments and results would be much more varied. Many games that do, ban those things/characters.

As for the Snake thing, it sounds like you said that a noob cannot pick up metaknight and beat a good snake basically? My point was that if a noob picks up metaknight they are going to fair MUCH better against opponents of higher skill. More so by a pretty big margin than if the noob picked up a character other than metaknight. The reason metaknight is so popular is that he has a pretty low learning curves and is easiest to win with against the majority, and those that are not easy still are not that hard comparatively.

My friend is a prime example of what I was saying. I beat him in 8-9/10 matches, one day he decided to use metaknight after reading up on him and practicing. Suddenly that ratio went down to like 5-6/10 matches. Matches became more even and less one sided even though he lacks in skill when compared. He uses any other character he can't come close.

My position presently is that metaknight is unbalanced to the point where he is an outlier that offsets the average so to speak. Until we can figure out how to balance the "average" I think there should be a temporary ban.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Which means I'll have a chance in beating themw ith my Sonic. YAY! No 80:20 disadvantage!
Oh crap its a Wario!
Part of the problem is that MK is such a huge number of the current tournament used characters. So your Sonic is far more likely to run into an MK than a Wario, just because there's so many more MK's percent-wise.

And you could pick up a second that can deal with Wario, instead of picking up MK to deal with MK.

(Yoshi vs. MK takes a great deal of time and practice to get anywhere close to 50:50. Basically, if you're not capable of being in the "upper" level of players anyway, you won't be getting an even matchup out of Yoshi against him. Same goes for Snake. If you pick up MK against him, you'll get 50:50 regardless of your skill level.)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Picking this statement out because it's a fallacy. He did not say what you just said (though his point was exaggerated). He said that a player can pick up MK and be on par against players of significantly higher skill that happen to play other characters. Now, that's not true for a good Snake and maybe even a couple other characters, but it's not nearly as off as what you said.

I think this is the third straw man fallacy I've pointed out in 24 hours. Why can't SWF just realize that this is a fallacy. Your statement does not disprove the other person's argument, because it does not even address the other person's argument.

His argument was not perfect, there were several logical ways you could have tried to deconstruct it (using Snake as an example of him being wrong would probably be best). Instead, you straw manned the argument. Epic failure.
He said "highly skilled" players, which in my book would be a states top 5 (or so) players in areas with a large, proven, scene. This is why it is not a strawman to say "Really? Top players have lost to noob MK's? Do you have examples?". He made a statement, I asked for proof-asking for proof. Maybe it was an exaggerated statement, however he should have chosen his words more clearly, because it sounded as if he thought players on the caliber of say, Azen's level (or slightly lower), were losing to random MK's.

The main point is that if you take issue with MK having a lot of match ups in his advantage, than you should take issue with ANY character with such an attribute. More over, there are to many people that seem to forget that we are playing a fighting game, where matchups inherently play a role in deciding who wins.

You do not need a character to have a "counter" in order to beat him, you just need a character that runs even or close to it against said character, so that the main variable in deciding a winner is who is more skilled.

salaboB

Smash Champion
He said "highly skilled" players, which in my book would be a states top 5 (or so) players in areas with a large, proven, scene. This is why it is not a strawman to say "Really? Top players have lost to noob MK's? Do you have examples?". He made a statement, I asked for proof-asking for proof. Maybe it was an exaggerated statement, however he should have chosen his words more clearly, because it sounded as if he thought players on the caliber of say, Azen's level (or slightly lower), were losing to random MK's.
"Highly skilled" is not "top". If he had meant "top players" he would have said "top players".

You do not need a character to have a "counter" in order to beat him, you just need a character that runs even or close to it against said character, so that the main variable in deciding a winner is who is more skilled.
All we've got is "close to it", given stage counterpick advantages for MK. There is no even that has been proven in practice.

GofG

Smash Champion
Are we still ****ing talking about this?

Howabout we ban everyone involved and move on with our lives.

Mortimer

Smash Apprentice
:[ My Arguements always suck.
Well, one of MK's best options for dealing with projectile-based camping is to ledge stall. And, while this wasn't your argument, some people (Atlantic North) want to ban ledge stalling, because they think it's boring.

This has the side effect of making projectile camping more effective, and removing one of MK's answers to camping.

Unfortunately, they aren't the majority of players. Unless they manage to convince more regions to ban ledge stalling (or they decide to unban it), MK will have a different set of tools to use depending on the tournaments, which will confuse the issue even more.

GofG

Smash Champion
I'm a big boy. I can handle four people laughing at me. :p

Might their numbers double in size, to eight people? =P

I just couldn't resist.
apoaishepoifjaf

**** YOU TOO EDRESSESPIECES!!!

WE DON'T NEED YOU AND YOUR STUPID SUGARY PEANUTBUTTERY CHOCOLATY GOODNESS

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"Highly skilled" is not "top". If he had meant "top players" he would have said "top players".
Who are some of these "highly skilled" players then, that are losing?

All we've got is "close to it", given stage counterpick advantages for MK. There is no even that has been proven in practice.
Even/close to even, is pretty much the same difference. Having a 6-4 advantage means very little in the whole scheme of things. Counter picks? So MK lost the first match? So then the better player won on a roughly "neutral" stage and would likely win game 3 in a similar situation, after a loss in game 2.

GofG

Smash Champion
You know, Samurai Panda is still around. It's not like we're talking about the Bible here. It's clear to me that he was talking about people who go to tournaments to compete, rather than people who play 99 stock matches on Bridge of Eldin with items on in their basement with their friends, but apparently other people think he meant something else.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Stage bans remove choices.

Yes, you can just play a different stage. Guess what, you can just play a different character.
Stage bans remove a much smaller component in the game. Characters have quite a bit more diversity and add a great deal more to the metagame then stages in the way of diversity.

But there IS considerable controversy over stage bans.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Stage bans remove a much smaller component in the game. Characters have quite a bit more diversity and add a great deal more to the metagame then stages in the way of diversity.

But there IS considerable controversy over stage bans.
I was mostly saying we do ban something that removes player options, so there is a precedent as far as that goes. The rest was just kinda carrying on where that lead.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I was mostly saying we do ban something that removes player options, so there is a precedent as far as that goes. The rest was just kinda carrying on where that lead.
Of course, nobody here ever said that a character CANNOT be banned.

The criteria however is much more stringent for characters then anything else.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Its interesting to see the poll votes change. I think no ban is going up more than yes to ban is.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Its interesting to see the poll votes change. I think no ban is going up more than yes to ban is.
They're going up by the same amount. The gap between them is a constant (about 200 votes).

Theoretically, the no ban side will never catch up, the percentages will only get infinitely closer, while never reaching even (limits are fun!).

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
He said "highly skilled" players,
I already corrected that in the quote below, it was poor word choice. Get over it.

"
As I have stated previously, I am on the fence about metaknight. Just to be clear.

But to continue on what i was saying. Metaknight has a few advantages most characters don't. An overall superior moveset. No stage weakness. No character weakness with a few neutrals. I happen to play one of those neutrals which is part of the reason I am on the fence. While I have not experienced extreme difficulty vs metaknight I can see how he limits which characters are played at tournaments and how far more would be played were he not a factor. My preference is to see more characters at tournaments. But I also hate banning.

While you are correct, every game has those characters that are "top" and "low". Most do not have a character that dominates and changes the game the way metaknight does. If he was banned, tournaments and results would be much more varied. Many games that do, ban those things/characters.

As for the Snake thing, it sounds like you said that a noob cannot pick up metaknight and beat a good snake basically? My point was that if a noob picks up metaknight they are going to fair MUCH better against opponents of higher skill. More so by a pretty big margin than if the noob picked up a character other than metaknight. The reason metaknight is so popular is that he has a pretty low learning curves and is easiest to win with against the majority, and those that are not easy still are not that hard comparatively.

My friend is a prime example of what I was saying. I beat him in 8-9/10 matches, one day he decided to use metaknight after reading up on him and practicing. Suddenly that ratio went down to like 5-6/10 matches. Matches became more even and less one sided even though he lacks in skill when compared. He uses any other character he can't come close.

My position presently is that metaknight is unbalanced to the point where he is an outlier that offsets the average so to speak. Until we can figure out how to balance the "average" I think there should be a temporary ban."

XienZo

Smash Lord
The problem if MK CAN be balanced is that once he's temporary banned, people will be too lazy to continue trying to balance him when they can just go on ignoring him as he is banned. I think thats perfectly fine, but people argue that would be unfair to MKs, which it is.

But you know, MK...

...you'll get no sympathy from me...

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
They're going up by the same amount. The gap between them is a constant (about 200 votes).

Theoretically, the no ban side will never catch up, only get infinitely closer, while never reaching even (limits are fun!).
Oh ok, Ive only been watching the poll for a week or two. I'm glad the no ban side will never catch up.

Anther

Smash Champion
That math work Dark Sonic... XD...
If it's constant it's not getting infinitely closer... and since it's a poll... if it was moving at a rate to get infinitely closer then it'll eventually pass it!! ... since votes are integers and not every number on the number line. (starts barkig)

jman115 said:
You can't say he researched and practiced and then say that only metaknight is the reason he started going even with you. The fact that he became more knowledgeable and the fact that you don't know how to fight meta as effectively as you need to fight against him vs other characters that he plays against you also factor into your argument, not making it very valid for the purposes of banning MK.

It's more valid if this always happens, but I'm even a counter case where I do worse with MK vs my other mains ;p. A players relative talent with different characters can't be effectively factored in, plus since you threw in the fact that he practiced and studied...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom