• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GofG

Smash Champion
Panda Edit: The Show Me Your News team just recently recorded a podcast with various SBR members in the style of a debate. The issue we were debating was, of course, whether or not to ban MK. Here is a temporary download link to the podcast: http://smyn.smashnexus.net/download.php?id=45 . I encourage everyone who has been debating in this thread, or wants to learn more about the issue, to listen to this podcast. It could definitely change what you think about MK. I'll be remaking the public poll on banning MK whenever we get the permanent download link up. I'm interested to see what people will think about this issue after listening to it. Show it to all of your friends too, so we can get people as educated as possible before voting on it again.

Statistics speak much louder than words. Right now we have a fairly intelligent theoretical discussion going on in the MK ban thread, but I think just getting a rough estimate of how many people support/oppose the metaknight ban would be well worth it.

Yessers, you have a group to join, I guess. http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=385

No-ers, you better make a group.

Not sure? DO NOT VOTE. Only vote if you are absolutely sure which way you swing.

God ****it. If you get caught creating alts and then voting with them, you will be banned, PROBABLY.

GofG

Smash Champion
Who knows. Howabout we try to move the discussion here. I'm sick of 500 page threads.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
This discussion should be just about the poll IMO..

Well, its taking off, starting towards MK ban but with only 13 or so votes it doesn't show much.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
ATTN: PEOPLE WHO CAN'T MAKE UP THEIR MINDS

Vote for the side that you argue for most. If you think MK should be banned now or in the future, vote yes. If the oppisite, vote no.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Statistics speak much louder than words. Right now we have a fairly intelligent theoretical discussion going on in the MK ban thread, but I think just getting an accurate estimate of how many people support/oppose the metaknight ban would be well worth it.
Statistics may speak louder than words, but you fail at statistics. For starters, I cannot answer the poll because neither of the two options represent my viewpoint. Even if you had enough options, your poll would not be the "accurate estimate of how many people support/oppose the metaknight ban" that you claim. It would be a biased misrepresentative sample from the Smashboards users that noticed your poll, and extrapolating results to the general Brawl community (or even Smashboarders) would be wrong.

One of the most basic principles of statistics is that misleading data is much much worse than no data.

ChocoboDX

Smash Cadet
Well it's looking good for us so far. Meta knight, it was fun and stuff, but come back when you're willing to fight fair. We beheld your true power for far too long.

Salem

Smash Champion
I thought this game was about fun... you guys gotta stop hating on MK, I saw that M2K and Azen fight and I have to say... Azen could have won if he got more direct with his attacks, therfore... M2K and MK can be beaten.

It has benn proven! kind of...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ATTN: PEOPLE WHO CAN'T MAKE UP THEIR MINDS

Vote for the side that you argue for most. If you think MK should be banned now or in the future, vote yes. If the oppisite, vote no.

CORRECTION:

If you don't have an opinion, don't vote! Being in the middle and voting anyways is being a jerk! That's like saying you want the last blue popsicle when you KNOW your little brother behind you wants it but you don't really care!

GofG

Smash Champion
People who don't care or don't know don't influence the argument, infzy. Do you want people who don't really care who wins, obama or mccain, to vote for either?

Foxy

Smash Master
Yeah, keep the discussion in the consolidated thread. It kind of scares people from discussing it when the number of replies is so huge... they sometimes realize that their argument has likely been mentioned countless times before.

However, discussing the poll (and especially keeping it bumped unless it gets temp. stickied) is a good idea.

I predict a slight favor for the ban, but not an overwhelming statement.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
People who don't care or don't know don't influence the argument, infzy. Do you want people who don't really care who wins, obama or mccain, to vote for either?
Yet, people who don't vote in elections for this reason are often looked down upon?

Not arguing, as I agree. Just making a note.

GofG

Smash Champion
Yeah, a temp sticky wouldn't be bad.

Also, people who don't have an opinion shouldn't really be looked down upon. People who don't follow the argument INCLUDE scrubs, but not everyone who doesn't follow the argument is a scrub.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
25 - 9...

Anyone thing we should "log it".. I think im going to every time one of them breaks 100 =\.

Just to see how stuff effects it. My vote has been influenced a lot recently, and I think the non MK tournaments going on could change the flow of the poll...

Foxy

Smash Master
I guess it would be best if this was treated like an election, though obviously less important: there are countless people who will vote who are either uninformed or misinformed, and they likely outnumber the intelligent ones by a vast majority.

But this is exactly what a government election is like.

Essentially, adding in more and more detailed options would increase the accuracy of the results but also reduce the statistical importance and weight of them. Having the two simple choices makes the results much more valuable.

A presidential election doesn't include "In the middle", "Don't know enough to choose", etc.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I voted yes only because I've found myself playing metaknight almost as much as lucas now... and I don't like it but I feel like I have to for competitive purposes...

Sigrid Fiinikkusu

Smash Apprentice
I have my reasons for voting no, mostly because you have to know how to use Metaknight to win. Trust me even if my friend can be annoying with Metaknight, I can still beat him.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I guess it would be best if this was treated like an election, though obviously less important: there are countless people who will vote who are either uninformed or misinformed, and they likely outnumber the intelligent ones by a vast majority.
Exactly. Which is why this poll will hold absolutely no credibility.
I'm wondering if there's this exact same poll in the SBR?

infomon

Smash Scientist
People who don't care or don't know don't influence the argument, infzy.
I disagree, but conditional on what you think it means to "influence the argument". Care to explain? Just because you're not convinced of an absolute decision on the ban, doesn't mean you're not capable of presenting usefel and novel reasoning to the discussion. Hmm. In your opinion, what is the purpose of this poll, and in what manner would you consider it useful?

Do you want people who don't really care who wins, obama or mccain, to vote for either?
I don't see how that's related. And I think people have more than two options in that election as well...?

JCav

Smash Lord
about time something like this was made. this is the fairest way to go about the ban imo

GofG

Smash Champion
MenoUnderwater, the person who the american populace elects still gets to be the president :D

Jimbo, this isn't the decider. This is merely to give the SBR an idea of what the lowest form of scrub thinks.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

Essentially, adding in more and more detailed options would increase the accuracy of the results but also reduce the statistical importance and weight of them. Having the two simple choices makes the results much more valuable.

A presidential election doesn't include "In the middle", "Don't know enough to choose", etc.

I hate elections =\

But this is very true.

cman

Smash Ace
I have my reasons for voting no, mostly because you have to know how to use Metaknight to win. Trust me even if my friend can be annoying with Metaknight, I can still beat him.
It's generally better that, when this is your reasoning, you refrain from voting.

Salem

Smash Champion
This poll is not official, so I don't really care.

Nothing's gonna happen after this poll is done, MK will still be running about winning tournaments, becuase YOU guys still haven't found anything on MK to win.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
MenoUnderwater, the person who the american populace elects still gets to be the president :D
Yea...
But I don't want the decision of whether or not I can a use a character determined by the populous of the SWF.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

If I'm not mistaken, the electoral college (aka Smash Back Room)'s say overrides the people's vote. So in a sense, this is just like the government's elections; what is voted for here will influence the ones who make the decision, but it is still their decision.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I don't see how that's related. And I think people have more than two options in that election as well...?

Sure, you CAN vote for someone besides McCain or Obama, but they won't win. Your vote won't matter.

Sadly.

10-2partysystems.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I disagree, but conditional on what you think it means to "influence the argument". Care to explain? Just because you're not convinced of an absolute decision on the ban, doesn't mean you're not capable of presenting usefel and novel reasoning to the discussion. Hmm. In your opinion, what is the purpose of this poll, and in what manner would you consider it useful?

Yea...
But I don't want the decision of whether or not I can a use a character determined by the populous of the SWF.
This is a fast thread, this shouldn't doublepost, right?

And you can still use the character! Play friendlies, or play with friends, or go to tournaments that ignore the rule! Its not like they are uninstalling MK of your disk when they ban him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom