• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Diddy's dair is strange.

If you hit the ground before the hitbox comes out, it autocancels. Basically you have to catch the banana with dair and then fastfall so you hit the ground before the hitbox comes out. The reason you don't want a hitbox is because this will hit the opponent.

This is why MK's dair wouldn't work, for example. According to Hylian, Diddy's uair and bair also work.

If other characters can do it, the premise is that a.) the aerial is cancellable upon landing (or just fast enough so that it's done by the time you hit the ground) and b.) no hitbox touches the opponent.

It's obviously most useful for Diddy anyway though, since he comes with bananas.

beamswordsman

Smash Cadet
I didn't vote before, and I won't vote this time. Both sides are so convincing, yet if either side was true, wouldn't this be over by now? I never played a Metaknght before, but how would you fight one in my case (I main Mario with DDD as a secondary)? :urg: Seriously, if MK is bannable, show me how, and if he's beatable, tell me hiss weaknesses/exploits.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I didn't vote before, and I won't vote this time. Both sides are so convincing, yet if either side was true, wouldn't this be over by now? I never played a Metaknght before, but how would you fight one in my case (I main Mario with DDD as a secondary)? :urg: Seriously, if MK is bannable, show me how, and if he's beatable, tell me hiss weaknesses/exploits.
its already over, MK isnt banned

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you haven't played a good MK, then I applaud your decision not to vote. You really show that some beginners are more intelligent than others. Great call.

Master Raven

Smash Master
The SBR has decided not to ban MK for now. I still think it's a topic worth discussing until it's near 100% obvious that MK doesn't need a ban.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Really?!?! :D

I'm going to throw a party for the smart choice of the month. You don't ban a anyone just because you can't beat them, you just have to get much better than before.

Edit: @AlphaZealot: I hate your Diddy Kong, I should had won against you a while back, lol.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
MK is banned in the latest big KY tournament. And most likely will be in the future.

Plus, you're dumb.

As for real argument, there are two parts of the meta issue really. And the two are separated into, the top 50 or so players in the country, and everyone else. In the area of the top, I haven't personally seen, or heard of, any real reason to get rid of meta. If you're mlg material, the gap between characters at the top, and metaknight really isn't that big. Hell, it might even be debatable. But as for the rest of us, as in, pretty much everyone that plays competitive smash, MK is completely ****ing broken. Because the difference in power between a "decent" meta, and a "decent" any other character is just, I wish I had a better word than goofy. If you're good but not great at this game, and you aren't playing meta, you're placing 10th when you could be 2nd, or 5th when you could be 1st or 50th when you could be top ten. It's an unbelieveable difference.

Alot of people may not think this matters, but I think you're wrong. Very wrong. However, thats another argument entirely, which I'm very willing to take up if someone prods me.

95% of the smashers out there are hindered to a great extent by meta, and thats no good. Ban the bat. Ban the hell out of him.

Just for the record, originally, I was against the metaban, because I considered the counter-arguments compelling enough that they provided reasonable doubt. (if you're going to ban someone, the burden of proof is on you). But, after educating myself on the issue, I discovered that the anti-ban camp was so devoid of logic, and so full of "well you must obviously just suck at the game, your opinion doesn't count", that most of it is just plain logical fallacy. Find me a real, compelling, logical and well thought out argument against the metaban, and I'll go right along with you. Just one is enough for me, anything worth even listening to. So far I havn't heard it.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
As for real argument, there are two parts of the meta issue really. And the two are separated into, the top 50 or so players in the country, and everyone else. In the area of the top, I haven't personally seen, or heard of, any real reason to get rid of meta. If you're mlg material, the gap between characters at the top, and metaknight really isn't that big. Hell, it might even be debatable. But as for the rest of us, as in, pretty much everyone that plays competitive smash, MK is completely ****ing broken. Because the difference in power between a "decent" meta, and a "decent" any other character is just, I wish I had a better word than goofy. If you're good but not great at this game, and you aren't playing meta, you're placing 10th when you could be 2nd, or 5th when you could be 1st or 50th when you could be top ten. It's an unbelieveable difference.
The issue is that we do not consider play below tournament level.
primarily because low level paly does not provide an accurate representation of the characters capability.
This creates an incredible skew if we consider low level play because then we would have to ban the IC's because of their CG (since people don't space well at low level play).

At low level play, all those factors that deem whether or not a character is ban worthy are gone.
There is no accurate presentation of the character being debated.
So low level play is never recognized in a debate.
At low level play, the game is more balanced primarily because every characters strengths and weaknesses are not being exploited to such a degree.

Alot of people may not think this matters, but I think you're wrong. Very wrong. However, thats another argument entirely, which I'm very willing to take up if someone prods me.
*prod*

95% of the smashers out there are hindered to a great extent by meta, and thats no good. Ban the bat. Ban the hell out of him.
95% of the smashers out there aren't good though. We cannot ban a character just because peole who don't have the skill cannot beat him.
What is important is that the character can be proven to cause overcentralizing and stagnation of the metagame.

Not on whether low level players can win against him or not.
Just for the record, originally, I was against the metaban, because I considered the counter-arguments compelling enough that they provided reasonable doubt. (if you're going to ban someone, the burden of proof is on you). But, after educating myself on the issue, I discovered that the anti-ban camp was so devoid of logic, and so full of "well you must obviously just suck at the game, your opinion doesn't count", that most of it is just plain logical fallacy. Find me a real, compelling, logical and well thought out argument against the metaban, and I'll go right along with you. Just one is enough for me, anything worth even listening to. So far I havn't heard it.
This is something both sides often do. Generic statements based on the most vocal, most illogical(a.k.a stupid) people are wrong.

1. MK is dominant. this is expected because he is the best character in the game, however, the extent to which he dominates is not great (currently around 27%). So while he dominates, he isn't dominating so much that other characters are not capable of winning.

2.MK's matchups are good. Not game breaking. Again, this is a case of the extent to which he breaks the game. Most of his matchups are roughly 60:40 and he counters only a handful of characters. This means that even if he 60:40 gainst everyone, there is a good chance of the opponent winning. It is barely a soft counter and is not un-winnable by any means. The other user has to work harder, but by no means does this make the match impossible.

3.Metaknight is resilient to the CP system. This is true, yet we have seen characters like marth that are resilient to the Cp system. NOw in spite of this resilience, MK does lose some advantage upon being sent to another stage, so a match that is 60:40 would be 50:50. Which is great because it falls down to pure skill and is extremely winnable.
The Mk user still has to work tooth and claw.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I know.... But I was wondering how you could get 2.3 to 1. I mean you could get 8-3 or something but I was like, does Choknater count as a third of a person or who does?
Wow, I'm going to avoid saying what I'm thinking right now.

2.3 to 1 is the same as 7 to 3.

Browny

Smash Hater
2.MK's matchups are good. Not game breaking. Again, this is a case of the extent to which he breaks the game. Most of his matchups are roughly 60:40 and he counters only a handful of characters. This means that even if he 60:40 gainst everyone, there is a good chance of the opponent winning. It is barely a soft counter and is not un-winnable by any means. The other user has to work harder, but by no means does this make the match impossible.
do people actually believe his matchups are even that close to neutral? when you watch vids of how easily top MK players destroy anyone else after theyve learned the matchup (ecrc vids, m2k vs snakeee comes to mind) I cant see how MK would lose anywhere close to 40% of further matches provided they dont screw up somehow.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
do people actually believe his matchups are even that close to neutral? when you watch vids of how easily top MK players destroy anyone else after theyve learned the matchup (ecrc vids, m2k vs snakeee comes to mind) I cant see how MK would lose anywhere close to 40% of further matches provided they dont screw up somehow.
m2 is that much better than snakee whcih damages your argument.
M2k is known for beig that much better than most of his opponents and as we have seen, characters such as Diddy who are arguably nuetral can be used to bat MK prvided one opponent outplays the other ninjalink vs m2k for example.

If diddy has a disadvantage (which is unclear) its still a very winnable matchup.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
MK didn't take top 4 in MD/VA today even with me, Forte, and Omni here. I placed the highest. Only 5th. I beat Forte's MK with Snake.

What a broken character!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom