• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

For the sake of simplicity and to ward off potential headaches, I just went ahead and succumbed to the Smash Back Room's unruly list of wacky counter-pick stages for OH SNAP! v4.0. Hopefully some reasonable amendments will be made soon to that giant, haphazard list, otherwise I'm just going to start banning ******** stages like Distant Planet and Green Hill Zone on my own in future tournaments.
Just so you know, you can refer to my rule list like many tournaments are already doing and avoid this crap altogether.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
So you honestly wouldn't counterpick FD if given the chance?
It depends on who I'm having to face off against. I faced Mr. 3000's Sonic in the second round of brackets at OH SNAP! v4.0 this past weekend, and we ended up playing on Final Destination twice during the three-match set. I had only heard of 3K's legendary Sonic and, up until that point, I had absolutely zero experience in that particular match-up. To my surprise, 3K ended up not banning Final Destination during the stage striking process, and he took me to Final Destination after I took away the first match on...I want to say Smashville. *scratches head* Anyway, he walked away with the second match in a perilously tense fight.

I had led him the entire second match up until our last stock, and he just ran around doing weird, Spin Dash-canceling things that I had never seen before until he finally got me over 110% and nailed me with a solid B-air to the head. I meditated on a counter-pick stage for a few brief moments before I decided to take him back to Final Destination and finally close the set in my favor.

This occurred again during my first set with Melee1's Ice Climbers in Winner's Quarterfinals. I hadn't played him since July (my first encounter with what who was and is supposed to be the nation's top Ice Climbers main), so I had my *** handed to me for two straight stocks before I got acclimated to the Ice Climbers' surprising amount of priority. I closed in on Melee1 during our last stocks, and then he caught me by punishing my ditch-effort spike attempt to take the match.

Afterward, I also took him back to Final Destination, readjusted my approach, and two-stocked him. I lost to his Meta Knight on Rainbow Cruise in the third match.

The main reason I took both Mr. 3000 and Melee1 back to Final Destination immediately after I had lost on the stage in both instances was because I had made several observations throughout those respective matches and noted what worked and what did not work for me in two particular match-ups that I have little to no experience in. I was pretty confident in all of my halftime adjustments (so to speak) in both cases, and since Final Destination wasn't banned, it was generally just a safe decision to move the action back to that stage with my new knowledge of the match-ups.

As far as other match-ups go, I actually do prefer to take most people to Battlefield as opposed to Final Destination. I've studied the Meta Knight match-up in and out for the last several months; ironically enough, the fruit of my labor wasn't reaped on Final Destination, but instead Battlefield. At HOBO 11 several weeks ago, I not only finally extracted revenge against Infinity (one of Texas' best Meta Knight players) by beating him in tournament, but I two-stocked him in one of our pools matches on Battlefield. During the last tournament I played at in Texas a month ago, I actually struck Final Destination from the neutral list on three different occasions (against Bwett's Falco & Yoshi, some random guy's Marth, and d4bA's Meta Knight & Snake). I won every single time I took them to Battlefield. During OH SNAP! v4.0, I faced d4bA in tournament again, took him to Battlefield and beat him.

For the sake of supplying some mild form of evidence for all the haters out there, you can find that particular match here.

If you're really interested in why I love Battlefield so much and why I think the popular "Diddy + banana peels + spam + Final Destination = Meta Knight counter" is complete bull****, feel free to post a query about it in the Diddy Forums.

Long Live Battlefield.

Just so you know, you can refer to my rule list like many tournaments are already doing and avoid this crap altogether.
I heavily considered revising the stage list with your recommendations for this past weekend, but opted not to piss off a bunch of people. =) OH SNAP! v5.0 is a few months away, so we'll see how the SBR Recommended Rule Set fluctuates until then.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
actually Le_Thein contributed alot to the diddy forums. Cant discredit him. Whats with ppl discrediting others for their newfound ability or placings. It doesnt make sense.

just like him. i so rarely ever see FD regardless of me pickin diddy or not.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Tornado > Chillin.

Plank knows what I'm talking about xD.

So much for nado spam only working on bads. Though his snake isn't the greatest...
There's a difference between "nado spam" and effectively using a really good move. Nado spam will get you *****, whereas using tornado at the right times when it isn't really punishable is very good. I used it too much at times and got ***** for it.

zaf

Smash Lord
diddy vs mk is at least even on neutrals

I'm starting to think MK beats Snake barely or it's even but I have only 1 reason for that - I took MK to a higher level than I've seen Snakes do to Snake. If it wasn't for that reason I probably wouldn't think that, and on-stage I know Snake wins. I'm also really good at the matchup and I have the most practice in that matchup by comparison to any other matchup, so I might change my opinion.

I currently think the top 5 in brawl singles (any order) is MK Snake Falco Diddy Olimar

ally

ally

and

ally

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ally

ally

and

ally
has

not

proven

anything

edit:: just so i dont get flamed - don't get me wrong. ally looks great from what i see. but dont claim he has taken snake to the level m2k has taken mk, that's just ridiculous when he has never really left his region.

zaf

Smash Lord
has

not

proven

anything

edit:: just so i dont get flamed - don't get me wrong. ally looks great from what i see. but dont claim he has taken snake to the level m2k has taken mk, that's just ridiculous when he has never really left his region.
u.s.a has come to us.

He has 3 stocked NOJ ( needle of juntah)

he has beaten sliq,
he has beaten judegemeow
he has beaten yes!

his brother holynightmare has beaten lain.

besides that, he has destroyed the top players in canada

if this isnt enough, then your a ******

D

Deleted member

u.s.a has come to us.

He has 3 stocked NOJ ( needle of juntah)

he has beaten sliq,
he has beaten judegemeow
he has beaten yes!

his brother holynightmare has beaten lain.

besides that, he has destroyed the top players in canada

if this isnt enough, then your a ******
I'm a ******.

When M2K plays Ally, I'll put $100 USD on M2K. Match my bet?

zaf

Smash Lord
I'm a ******.

When M2K plays Ally, I'll put $100 USD on M2K. Match my bet?
no problem

You never see any other snake doing the things ally does.
Which is why no one can beat him right now.
He's impossible to read.

I know m2k is good, but i don't see anything special when i watch him play mk.
He spaces well and capitalizes on mistakes.
Exactly what he has done in melee.

Let's see another snake use the box taunt to kill people like ally has started.

Radiation

Smash Apprentice
uhhhh, no, what? I don't doubt how awesome Ally is, but for him to prove that he's taken Snake to the level that M2K has with Meta, then he has to beat M2K or someone of equal power level (or at least a greater variety of awesome players). Sliq is a great player but the Snake vs. Bowser matchup is not the Snake vs. Meta matchup and hence the fight can't really prove anything.

"top players in canada" is kind of meaningless if you don't explain who or what

zaf

Smash Lord
uhhhh, no, what? I don't doubt how awesome Ally is, but for him to prove that he's taken Snake to the level that M2K has with Meta, then he has to beat M2K or someone of equal power level (or at least a greater variety of awesome players). Sliq is a great player but the Snake vs. Bowser matchup is not the Snake vs. Meta matchup and hence the fight can't really prove anything.

"top players in canada" is kind of meaningless if you don't explain who or what
top players in canada

holynightmare
ambrose
JL
Percon
Kingace

the last 4 competed at critical hit 4, and kingace placed 5th taking out chu dat.

when they all play ally, they all lose.
ambrose told me himself that he is too hard to read

and ambrose placed 2nd in this past weekend's tourney.
3rd was lain.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Ally is good, but don't mindlessly meatride him. Let's see how he continues to perform once he starts playing some of the top players in the US. He seems to be doing pretty good in Canada so far.

Let's see another snake use the box taunt to kill people like ally has started.
I actually laughed.

zaf

Smash Lord
Ally is good, but don't mindlessly meatride him. Let's see how he continues to perform once he starts playing some of the top players in the US. He seems to be doing pretty good in Canada so far.

I actually laughed.
I'm not meat riding anyone.

I once too doubted Ally.
But once he came to a Montreal Tournament and destroyed everyone, I then saw that I
misjudged him.

When I play the Ontario people, ( which is very rare) I do really good. I always bring it to the last stock when I lose against them. But when I play ally, which is very often since he lives near me, i still get destroyed despite how much i play him. Yes i have beaten him, but I highly doubt I would beat him in a set.

I'm just tired of people trash talking him, when they undoubtedly would get destroyed by him. His last two tournaments he did play top level USA players and beat them all.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
I'm not meat riding anyone.

I once too doubted Ally.
But once he came to a Montreal Tournament and destroyed everyone, I then saw that I
misjudged him.

When I play the Ontario people, ( which is very rare) I do really good. I always bring it to the last stock when I lose against them. But when I play ally, which is very often since he lives near me, i still get destroyed despite how much i play him. Yes i have beaten him, but I highly doubt I would beat him in a set.

I'm just tired of people trash talking him, when they undoubtedly would get destroyed by him. His last two tournaments he did play top level USA players and beat them all.
those "top level" US players you mentioned would get ***** by the actual top level players...

Ulevo

Smash Master
I do not believe it is Canada's best interest to potentially over exaggerate Ally. However, that being said, I honestly do not believe there is a single player in the USA aside from M2K that could contend with or beat Ally consistently. He is simply that good. KingAce beat Forte, and placed very well at CH4. He can't even touch Ally. We've all seen him play here, we all know how good he is-- we just all do not know how good he is in comparison. I once had serious doubts about him myself, after learning the source of his hype was nothing more than online play, a few videos and beating Percon or KingAce on an occasion or two. That completely changed when I met, witnessed, and fought him myself.

I do not believe he is better than M2K personally, but I'm not riding on much to go by other than my experiences with Ally and what I see and hear of M2K. But I have no doubts that he could easily contend with the best players in the states, and most likely win.

It is all speculation. You know how we solve this? We get those two to meet. :)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I do not believe it is Canada's best interest to potentially over exaggerate Ally. However, that being said, I honestly do not believe there is a single player in the USA aside from M2K that could contend with or beat Ally consistently. He is simply that good. KingAce beat Forte, and placed very well at CH4. He can't even touch Ally. We've all seen him play here, we all know how good he is-- we just all do not know how good he is in comparison. I once had serious doubts about him myself, after learning the source of his hype was nothing more than online play, a few videos and beating Percon or KingAce on an occasion or two. That completely changed when I met, witnessed, and fought him myself.

I do not believe he is better than M2K personally, but I'm not riding on much to go by other than my experiences with Ally and what I see and hear of M2K. But I have no doubts that he could easily contend with the best players in the states, and most likely win.

It is all speculation. You know how we solve this? We get those two to meet. :)
By u sayin no other player than m2k ur basically ****ting on the entire community in the USA. I suggest U reword that otherwise, ur gonna have problems.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Ahah, you guys are funny. :) You make many mistakes : You reduce top US players to M2K; you think that the best American players are instantly the best in the world, without even considering Japan and Europe :psycho:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Psst. Dominican Republic's where its at! Lolzies. I don't even know if anyone there knows how to shorthop =/, except for me when I visit XD.

Also, I don't think Ulevo meant that arrogantly or anything at all. He even said Canada shouldn't exagerate the power of Ally. Its more of an assessment as a player rather than by his nationality. But perhaps some rewording is in order.

So yea, we need Ally Vs. M2K. We should have like, a brawl olympics ^_^

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You can prove that he doesn't break the CP system, you're just looking at it wrong here: Prove that MK can be CPed effectively (I would add, so that he's not always the best choice -- yes, there will always be a best character but that doesn't mean the best character should always be the best choice). If it can be demonstrated, it proves he does not break the CP system.

See, there is a positive proof that proves that negative. Doesn't mean all the negatives can possibly be proven, but this one was just a wording issue.
I explained previously how certain negatives can require positives, you need to distill the question down to it's core elements, and by core elements I mean something that can be proven or disproven by actual observence of facts.

While the positive side overall always has the burden of proof, on the level of certain individual facts the overall negative side might have the burden of proof.

In the case that you are pointing out, the actual facts in dispute are the match-ups themselves because they can be "proven" using character attributes, and the burden of proof lies with proving "not neutral".

Anyways... People saying the burden of proof is on the anti-ban side are clearly wrong. MK is in the game and legal almost everywhere. It's up to pro-ban players to prove he's broken. My match-up stuff was argued against, but not well at all. I read that "on paper, Snake wins," which is clearly wrong. It's the other way around. On paper, MK's tiny 1 frame and 1 pixel advantages make him win, but reality makes Snake win.
The overall burden of proof is on the pro-ban side. However, for the individual match-up the burden of proof is on anything other then "not neutral".

So really it depends on how far people wish to take it.

Regardless, if "in paper" and "in reality" don't match up, get better paper.

Yay for over-simplifacation... it was considerably more then 1 pixel and 1 frame. In terms of frames, it was enough to have a 7 frame+ advantage. That's more then enough for reaction. Range differentials were also FAR more then a pixel.

Ahah, you guys are funny. :) You make many mistakes : You reduce top US players to M2K; you think that the best American players are instantly the best in the world, without even considering Japan and Europe :psycho:
QFT, Azen definately needs a mention at the very least.

Internationally, granted he specified US, but that said, there's the unspoken "US is best assumption".

The only way to solve this... INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENTS!

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
After OhSnap (and the collection of tournaments attended), I wish to change my vote from yes to no. Been on the edge of pro-ban (because of the CP system) and anti-ban (due to the many 6-4 matchups he has). In conclusion, he has the overall expected win...but the edge is very close and so miniscule. If the edge of using MK was heavy and game determining...then I would be pro-ban. However, it is not and sadly enough...the game is young.

BentoBox

Smash Master
:confused: he's easily one of the best snakes in the country
Oh I know he gets **** done, but that's because he's simply a good player, in my opinion. It pains me that he fails to take advantage of snake's stage control tools, at least from what I've seen. He's definitely not pushing the character at its full potential.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Tornado > Chillin.

Plank knows what I'm talking about xD.

So much for nado spam only working on bads. Though his snake isn't the greatest...
It ***** Bum, too. Watch the vids. :)

Mew2King said:
diddy vs mk is at least even on neutrals

I'm starting to think MK beats Snake barely or it's even but I have only 1 reason for that - I took MK to a higher level than I've seen Snakes do to Snake. If it wasn't for that reason I probably wouldn't think that, and on-stage I know Snake wins. I'm also really good at the matchup and I have the most practice in that matchup by comparison to any other matchup, so I might change my opinion.

I currently think the top 5 in brawl singles (any order) is MK Snake Falco Diddy Olimar
I'm going to beat you with Snake. Let's go, nub.

Ulevo said:
I do not believe it is Canada's best interest to potentially over exaggerate Ally. However, that being said, I honestly do not believe there is a single player in the USA aside from M2K that could contend with or beat Ally consistently. He is simply that good.
I'm pretty confident I'd contend with Ally and could win. I'm also very sure that any top American player that knows how to fight Snake will do just fine.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Personally, I like Ally's playstyle. It's a style quite similar to how I play Link in a way of mindgaming/manipulating projectiles and moves to integrate together and cause more combo potential, while still using them for stage control to scare the opponents to do an aggressive approach.

However, that relies pretty heavily on mindgaming and a large understanding of the moveset. I wouldn't be so sure if this would go well against people who knew about his playstyle.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
If MK was banned who would Falcon challenge every so often?

If MK is banned you'd have to ban MK kirby too.

And in all seriousness.
Ban rainbow Cruise.
Im tired of wasting my Ban on that stage when its not VS a MK.

kr3wman

Smash Master
If MK was banned who would Falcon challenge every so often?

If MK is banned you'd have to ban MK kirby too.

And in all seriousness.
Ban rainbow Cruise.
Im tired of wasting my Ban on that stage when its not VS a MK.
Not enough logic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
However, that relies pretty heavily on mindgaming and a large understanding of the moveset. I wouldn't be so sure if this would go well against people who knew about his playstyle.
He has variety though lol.

It's like, if you get past one of his traps, he'll go and distract you with another trick, and you're trapped again :[

almost like fighting Sonic in Snake/Falcon form :dizzy:

Ulevo

Smash Master
By u sayin no other player than m2k ur basically ****ting on the entire community in the USA. I suggest U reword that otherwise, ur gonna have problems.
I already stated my opinion is speculation, and merely that. I am not disrespecting anyone, I am acknowledging Ally for how good he is at this game. I apologize if my post came off offensively, that really isn't my intention.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
MK should not be banned. A banned character is a character that is broken beyond belief and its near hopeless for all other characters to even come close to standing a chance. MK has some matchups which are pretty even and he is better than most characters but he is definately beatable. Hes good and definately the best in the game right now but this could change over time.

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
MK should not be banned. A banned character is a character that is broken beyond belief and its near hopeless for all other characters to even come close to standing a chance. MK has some matchups which are pretty even and he is better than most characters but he is definately beatable. Hes good and definately the best in the game right now but this could change over time.
Exactly bra, it's a bit too early all day.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oh, but why must it fall under those to be ban-worthy?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
There's a difference between making the game more competitive and making this game worthless to play as. If Metaknight is not bannable after all, you'll just end up making the people who main him pissed off, which is rather worthless.

You have to be careful when banning stuff. Right now I'll just throw out the usual anti-john and just say get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom