• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Judo777

Smash Master
mars make sure when you grab on the run you shield grab and not the actual dash grab, it's super ****ty
But it wastes time doing a shield and unless u wait to stop u can actually still do ur dash out of ur shield. You can even pivot grab out of shield its pretty silly.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I should have quite a few matches incoming with a variety of MU's so I hope people aren't bothered by it. Just have to bother Sole to upload them when we get back. I've already gotten a match against his D3 on there, but I'll record some sets instead of indiv. MU if possible.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I love watching videos man, wont be bothered with it at all. Looking forwward to it. Also thanks for the input ricosta.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Alright, I got together with Mike again tonight and got some vids. It's practically our second time playing Smash offline this year, so we are still very rusty. We've gotten better though, I couldn't even f-tilt lock last week. I'm still trying to relearn DACUS. -_-

Anyways, here are some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WQyhmeWbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ynSpPA4ako
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnnnnMBkYs (used Chain Jack glitch in battle... yeah, I know, to hard to do in a fight)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvj1cVvF6is (used Chain Jack again exactly the same way as I did before.... to hard eh?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUosyJ_NLUI (the last vid tonight and the best) (by this vid we were starting to resemble smashers, lol)

Okay, I'm going to critique myself, tell me if I have anything wrong and what I am missing.
#1 more jab cancels
#2 less Bair, I use it to aggressively
#3 space better (part of being rusty :urg:)
#4 mix chain in
#5 stop being so aggressive
#6 use more needles
#7 apply wave bounced needles on the ground when running away
#8 ledge guard smarter
#9 stop becoming a combo robot and try to read what they will do
#10 stop mindlessly going into the air
#11 get better at chain jack
#12 more SDI to that stupid D-Throw
#13 play hard to get early in the stock
#14 more retreating SH FF Nairs
Then I just have to mix the rest of my techs in. BTW, what did you think of one of my turnip combos? To bad I messed up every other one. -_-

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea why Sheik players think fairing in place is a good idea against someone with a projectile or a disjointed hitbox. All they have to do is just time an attack as you're going up for your fair.

Edu, a pretty good Sheik from what I can tell, did the exact same thing against a halfway decent Peach and he got punished quite a bit for it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Mike uses Peach now? Oh, he's free for me then...haven't lost to any Peach but KB's with Falco :D

See me in tournament.

BTW, Mike and Saviors: there's a player who goes by the name of BlazingKatakiri who drives to tournaments and lives in Portsmouth. You guys should carpool with him and money match me each at the next tournament for $5 each :3

solecalibur

Smash Master
I should have quite a few matches incoming with a variety of MU's so I hope people aren't bothered by it. Just have to bother Sole to upload them when we get back. I've already gotten a match against his D3 on there, but I'll record some sets instead of indiv. MU if possible.
I'll get to it when I have time -.-
still have 7 hours to upload from that one tounry but I'll see what I can do today , just come on down today if you get a chance with the SD card

saviorslegacy

Mike uses Peach now? Oh, he's free for me then...haven't lost to any Peach but KB's with Falco :D

See me in tournament.

BTW, Mike and Saviors: there's a player who goes by the name of BlazingKatakiri who drives to tournaments and lives in Portsmouth. You guys should carpool with him and money match me each at the next tournament for $5 each :3
He has always used Peach... just seconded her....
Alright, I'll have to look him up.

I am not MMing yet. I am still not up and running at 100%. Last week I couldn't even f-tilt lock and right now I am having trouble with the instant DA, I keep on performing DSmash. As soon as I work the bugs out of my game and enable me to re-add things like DACUS, chain lock, NLC and f-tilt> USmash then I might consider a MM. Even then, I've not put in all of my stuff yet, and I need to relearn spacing... and do it better than I ever did it before.
So all in all I hope to be up and running 100% or close to 100% in 2 weeks, that is my goal. Cuz Mike and I both want to get in on the smash scene THIS October.
^ Minus the MM. You guys need to come to more Ohio stuff! There's a whole board about it, you know.
A whole board? Do tell.
link plz

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
@clowsui, good luck because I still use jiggly against chars that don't comletely bone her

and I read the "free for me" as a coming on to me, since most peaches are gay and I don't play like most of them. you would be surprised at my style once it is polished

clowsui

Smash Legend
@clowsui, good luck because I still use jiggly against chars that don't comletely bone her

and I read the "free for me" as a coming on to me, since most peaches are gay and I don't play like most of them. you would be surprised at my style once it is polished
LOL the peach i have the most exp is king beef who is one of the most aggro peaches EVER, he's lost every single time he tried to gay me out and i've beat his aggro peach once, every other time it was last hit. good luck :)

eh i'm not great v jiggs as falco but i'll learn it as i play it, i think i have a better idea after i played jayford at siis3

saviors, the board he's referring to is the midwest regional zone, lol

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
eh i'm not great v jiggs as falco but i'll learn it as i play it, i think i have a better idea after i played jayford at siis3
Wellllllll I would be glad to practice with you a bunch, just no moneymatch with her. She is a halfassed secondary to me now :embarrass

And aggro peach = dead... I've started to win better just by sitting back and anticipating stuff lol

So what the hell happened to your Marth main?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Alright, I got together with Mike again tonight and got some vids. It's practically our second time playing Smash offline this year, so we are still very rusty. We've gotten better though, I couldn't even f-tilt lock last week. I'm still trying to relearn DACUS. -_-

Anyways, here are some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WQyhmeWbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ynSpPA4ako
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnnnnMBkYs (used Chain Jack glitch in battle... yeah, I know, to hard to do in a fight)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvj1cVvF6is (used Chain Jack again exactly the same way as I did before.... to hard eh?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUosyJ_NLUI (the last vid tonight and the best) (by this vid we were starting to resemble smashers, lol)

Okay, I'm going to critique myself, tell me if I have anything wrong and what I am missing.
#1 more jab cancels
#4 mix chain in
#6 use more needles
#8 ledge guard smarter
Then I just have to mix the rest of my techs in. BTW, what did you think of one of my turnip combos? To bad I messed up every other one. -_-
i dont think youre being to aggro i think that your just pressuring the wrong way
at least from watching match 1

you would just randomly space airs against a character that outspaces you, and has a projectile. peach overall has little endlag on a lot of her moves so imo i would probably play this matchup by just camping unless you have a read and then run in with a quick punish Before anything of hers comes out.

then again my shiek doesnt know the mu. lmao i need vids xD

if i record some matches tomorrow on my friends wii can i send the replays over aim or something to someone so they could upload?

saviorslegacy

i dont think youre being to aggro i think that your just pressuring the wrong way
at least from watching match 1

you would just randomly space airs against a character that outspaces you, and has a projectile. peach overall has little endlag on a lot of her moves so imo i would probably play this matchup by just camping unless you have a read and then run in with a quick punish Before anything of hers comes out.

then again my shiek doesnt know the mu. lmao i need vids xD

if i record some matches tomorrow on my friends wii can i send the replays over aim or something to someone so they could upload?
Watch the last match, I performed the best in that one.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
And aggro peach = dead... I've started to win better just by sitting back and anticipating stuff lol
Lol I'm not full-on aggro, that would be a ******** decision in this game.

But it depends on your character when it comes to how much aggro I can get away with. Top/High tiers...I'll have to watch every decision I make and play defensive and opportunistic for the most part. If you go Jiggs, good luck getting inside with those horrible over-committing options of hers; if it's Sheik then it's much more even of a matchup if both people play it right.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Wellllllll I would be glad to practice with you a bunch, just no moneymatch with her. She is a halfassed secondary to me now :embarrass

So what the hell happened to your Marth main?
My Marth has always done worse than my Falco :/ I might switch to playing Marth at small locals to work on him but otherwise at larger tournaments I'm reppin' da bird. I am better w/ Marth at LT matchups, but vs. higher tiers my Falco is much better.

Anyways, this is off topic. I will have some videos of my Sheik up this weekend...maybe :< I'll probably MM somebody with her lolol

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
I really think it's just a spacing issue with your marth, that was why I won the match with Jiggly. And I could see why you like Falco more; his CGs are... I hate them

And can the vids from me and saviorslegacy be added to the VS section, or are they too ****ty of a match?

saviorslegacy

I really think it's just a spacing issue with your marth, that was why I won the match with Jiggly.

And can the vids from me and saviorslegacy be added to the VS section, or are they too ****ty of a match?
I think they are not good enough. You and I were and still are really rusty. Let us get a lil bit better before you use vids to represent yourself.

#1 more jab cancels
#4 mix chain in
#6 use more needles
#8 ledge guard smarter
-Jab cancels are nice. Shiek's AAA as far as I know is pretty punishable, I am pretty sure you can DI down and away into a shield and grab her in the middle of it.
-Bair is good, but I kind of agree. Too many at the wrong times.
-Spacing will come with time.
-I see no reason to use the chain at all in a peach match-up unless you mean recovery.
-I agree with the aggresiveness too. However, I think most of it comes from attacking from the wrong angles. A lot of the times I see you coming down on peach from above, trying to dash around and even use rolling as a way to advance when you do not really need it.
-Needles yes
-I think wavebounce is not what you need. It will place you right back towards the opponent. b-reversal with needles seems to work best. At least, I SH reverse needles when running away.
-Who can ever edgeguard correctly. Espcially after being on a hiatus.
-Yeah, I didn't understand sometimes you randomly went into the air.
-Does any shiek use the chain jacket at all?
-How do you mean SDI? Against peach's dthrow? I think shiek can Bair against peach out of those.
-Playing hard to get should be the goal the whole match I think. Camping those needles works a lot I feel against peach since it messes up turnip tosses and grabs.
-I see no reason to use SH Nair at all really unless you are doing it out of an attack, shield, or as a combo breaker.

saviorslegacy

-Jab cancels are nice. Shiek's AAA as far as I know is pretty punishable, I am pretty sure you can DI down and away into a shield and grab her in the middle of it.
I did not know this
-Bair is good, but I kind of agree. Too many at the wrong times.
-Spacing will come with time.
Or with clever training methods.
-I see no reason to use the chain at all in a peach match-up unless you mean recovery.
Spacing mainly.
If you hit them with the electric tip you can't punish Sheik that easily... especially if you are Peach.

-I agree with the aggresiveness too. However, I think most of it comes from attacking from the wrong angles. A lot of the times I see you coming down on peach from above, trying to dash around and even use rolling as a way to advance when you do not really need it.
Well I defiantly can't come up from below.
-Needles yes
-I think wavebounce is not what you need. It will place you right back towards the opponent. b-reversal with needles seems to work best. At least, I SH reverse needles when running away.
Wave bouncing on the ground is amazing!
You can go running one way and quickly flip around throwing needles!!!

-Who can ever edgeguard correctly. Espcially after being on a hiatus.
I want to be almost perfect.
-Yeah, I didn't understand sometimes you randomly went into the air.
-Does any shiek use the chain jacket at all?
I am the only one. Most Sheiks can't even jack last time I checked.
-How do you mean SDI? Against peach's dthrow? I think shiek can Bair against peach out of those.
Bair does not help.... I have tried.....
-Playing hard to get should be the goal the whole match I think. Camping those needles works a lot I feel against peach since it messes up turnip tosses and grabs.
She can float in and Dair. -_-
-I see no reason to use SH Nair at all really unless you are doing it out of an attack, shield, or as a combo breaker.
Mainly OoS. It allows you to DI backwards and when you land you can go straight into a jab.... awesomeness.
*red
There are certain ideas and tricks I want to add in as well.

Judo777

Smash Master
*red
There are certain ideas and tricks I want to add in as well.
SL man u kill me with those blanket statements just watch it. You are not the only sheik that uses chain jacket. I use it from time to time the problem is it really isn't that useful. Good for a surprise every now and then but the problem that it really is just way worse than sh chain makes it hard. And i think quite a few know how.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Air jacketing is a frickin beast. It should be used liberally against all low-recovering characters

saviorslegacy

SL man u kill me with those blanket statements just watch it. You are not the only sheik that uses chain jacket. I use it from time to time the problem is it really isn't that useful. Good for a surprise every now and then but the problem that it really is just way worse than sh chain makes it hard. And i think quite a few know how.
I typed it out to quickly. I thought "last time I checked" about the whole statement.

How do you use it? Have you given it any thought on possible uses or is it just, "I just chain jacketed on accident so I'll just go with it." I've actually come up with 3 uses for it and used everyone in real time in a real match... same as DACUS.
This is a high risk high reward type of thing.

If at first you don't succeed, bend it to make it work. People just simply give up.
Find a new use and expand upon it.

Judo777

Smash Master
I typed it out to quickly. I thought "last time I checked" about the whole statement.

How do you use it? Have you given it any thought on possible uses or is it just, "I just chain jacketed on accident so I'll just go with it." I've actually come up with 3 uses for it and used everyone in real time in a real match... same as DACUS.
This is a high risk high reward type of thing.

If at first you don't succeed, bend it to make it work. People just simply give up.
Find a new use and expand upon it.
No i never chain jacket on accident. The 1 time i ever did i jacketed a wind box against d3 and took a bair to the face lol. However i have found a very few uses for it. I actually used it against kel first attempt at BitH2 and it worked like i wanted it to tho i didn't actually beat him (curse missing GR DACUS last stock). And I'm telling u guys chain jacket dsmash is really where it is at. The hitbox is HUMONGOUS!!!! Kel was planking me some so i chain jacketed a dsmash and hit him off the ledge because of the extra range u get from dsmash and put an end to his planking. Other than that tho i havent found alot of use other than hitting people like DK with a dsmash box thinking they are gonna outrange normal chain with ground pound (which works) but they cant outrange dsmash jacket.

Also wind jacket should NOT be used LIBERALLY against people on the ledge. Any one with good auto snap abilities can snap the ledge right through the wind box and get up attack u for free since u cant hit them with wind chain.

saviorslegacy

Also wind jacket should NOT be used LIBERALLY against people on the ledge. Any one with good auto snap abilities can snap the ledge right through the wind box and get up attack u for free since u cant hit them with wind chain.
This is obvious -_-

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's kinda hard to tell, Savior.

No offense to Mike, but there's a good amount of things he could be abusing for Peach that he isn't (like glidetoss turnips). I'm pretty sure 0% leads into a Dthrow CG for Peach against us (buffered), but you seemed to space him out very well regardless.

saviorslegacy

It's kinda hard to tell, Savior.

No offense to Mike, but there's a good amount of things he could be abusing for Peach that he isn't (like glidetoss turnips). I'm pretty sure 0% leads into a Dthrow CG for Peach against us (buffered), but you seemed to space him out very well regardless.
My spacing is what I focused on hard yesterday. Once I started to get that down I started trying to exploit his bad habits which ended up messing him up, a lot. He stopped glide tossing because I would punish it a lot since Nair destroys turnips + hits him in the face. Either that or I would needle him or Vanish (I done that rarely).
After I eliminated what he usually relied on he started to get a little sloppy. All and all though, he did 3 stock me once last night.
These vids shouldn't be judging him as a player. He was starting to play really sloppy. Hopefully he'll figure out how to punish Sheik better so that I can continue advancing.

Meh, I'm not afraid of that CG at all. If he grabs you at exactly 0% he gets 4 grabs + f-tilt. If he grabs you pass like 5% he gets 2 or 3 and some times no f-tilt. If he grabs you at 15% he only gets on throw. That being said, you have to SDI like a pro or you will get regrabbed. If you don't SDI at all she can take you to like 40ish%.... which is no fun.
Just be aware that after the f-tilt finisher you are still very vulnerable. You options are to Nair (get grabbed), air dodge to the ground through his second f-tilt or perform a jumping air dodge. Of course, at BF or any other place with platforms the best option is to perform a jumping air dodge and fast fall. Then again, a good mix up is always nice.
All and all, I suggest eating a turnip at the beginning if he throws one at you. Then you don't have to worry about the CG.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
These vids shouldn't be judging him as a player. He was starting to play really sloppy. Hopefully he'll figure out how to punish Sheik better so that I can continue advancing.
i actually start to fall really hard after playing for a while, so it really is a good example of me. Not sure how to snap out of it.

saviorslegacy

i actually start to fall really hard after playing for a while, so it really is a good example of me. Not sure how to snap out of it.
Well, I do not think it was a good representation of you.
If you think it is... then you need to defiantly ask for help on how to play more defensively. It is way to easy for me to get in and destroy you. Also, you have bad habits that allow me to have strings and edge guards that shouldn't last that long.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
wow saviours your not going to be very popular once you start attending tournaments.

saviorslegacy

wow saviours your not going to be very popular once you start attending tournaments.
It will be short lived.
I sign the papers for the military here soon. Once I ship out, I am forced to quit. I'm looking at 3 months of boot and then over a years worth of medical training. I'm going to be a physical therapist and I want to join a Marine regiment in Afganhistan and do my part in the war. I'll be the dude that you come to after you get your leg blown off form an IED.
This will be my life for 5 years... and possibly 8.

So I'm looking at the rest of this year and this coming spring... in which I will also be traveling to Europe. So yes, my Smash career is pretty much at its end. I wanted to do some more stuff with this game as a final farewell, and go to some tournies.

As far as I am concerned, I'll just approach it the same as I do when I go shooting, hunting, partying or just plain hanging out. If it doesn't work out, I'm hangin with the wrong crowd.

@Mike
*clears throat*
"Obama, you are just like Ganondorf; slow, predictable and your approach sucks."

Top Bottom