• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

soap

Smash Hero
in tourney i still try to beat everything with sheik

i have some kind of silly character pride in her for some reason.

I've always felt like falcon players were the only ones with that silly character pride notion and i had no business feeling that way about sheik

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
K, so I played Lambchops last weekend and had a fair bit of trouble dealing with his laser game >___>

So, I was trying to think of ways to fight laser games and what better place than sheik boards? =D

K, so really though trying to brainstorm ideas.

What should you do if you get hit by a laser in the air then forced to shield another laser from the ground?

What do you guys do if you crouch lasers? Is your only goal to PS lasers doing this?

*Attempts to summon Amsah*

DJRome

Smash Hero
i did some experimentation with ps'ing today. ps doesn't allow you to do a move oos vs projectiles so no good. seems like a good option is just to roll away to reset. a jump or roll in or spot dodge seem rather punishable. nair oos has that slight disjoint down and out so that actually may be a good option.

and amsah. . . idk if he ever answers anything falco related. . . secretive guy. . .

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
What should you do if you get hit by a laser in the air then forced to shield another laser from the ground?

Nair oos =D

What do you guys do if you crouch lasers? Is your only goal to PS lasers doing this?
The most important part to dealing with lasers is to not let them lock you in place. So I crouch under them to avoid getting while not losing any mobility. I don't really bother powershielding them unless I'm on the offensive really..

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
the best thing to do when you get hit by a laser in sheild or not in sheild is to keep moving. But switch up what you do. You just don't wanna stay predictable and you don't wanna stay stationary.

wd back oos, nair oos, jump -> waveland oos. Are all really good.

so if you get hit by a laser in the air, and then another laser once yu hit the ground. You just have to not let it throw you off and keep moving. Buffer a jump oos if that's easier. Usually when people get their sheild hit by a laser when they just land and shielded, they don't move after that and just keep holding their sheild up. You wanna try to avoid that

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Nair oos =D

The most important part to dealing with lasers is to not let them lock you in place. So I crouch under them to avoid getting while not losing any mobility. I don't really bother powershielding them unless I'm on the offensive really..
Hmmmmm interesting

I might have to try that second one out.

I dunno what you mean by nair oos if you get hit with a laser in the air then forced to shield the second one. Unless the second laser is an approaching laser?

From your experience do you do the nair as soon as the laser hits your shield or after the falco shines (assuming the laser will let falco end up right on top of you)?

Also what would moves(Falco's) would you challenge with sheik's ftilt if any?

Zoler

Smash Ace
I have some questions about Sheiks grab, I'm kinda confused since this is an issue I haven't seen any information at all, even though I've read quite a bit on Sheik:

When do you want to JC grab and boost grab? Is there ANY use of the dash grab, or should you always use boost grab or JC grab?

Which one is faster, boost grab or JC grab? I think the difference is that boost grab has longer range but JC grab is faster?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
The boost grab is pretty much a better version of the dash grab. They have the same hitbox and the same amount of lag afterwards. If for some reason you want to run and grab but don't want the boost you should JC grab.

As far as JC grab vs boost grab, JC grab has less lag if you miss and a better hitbox. The advantage of boost grab is you can get to your target faster when you're running, because of the boost.

Boost grab is good for techchasing (the most important use), chaingrabbing in some odd situations (Sheik dittos at 0 I think), and possibly for mindgames, like when you are running at your opponent looking like you might dash attack but boost grab instead. For other uses JC grab is the way to go.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
dtilt pressure is pretty good vs sheik. im still convinced there's some sort of frame trap you can do
No, it's like -6 on block.

You can use it to safely bait grabs due to weird stuff with Marth's hurtbox/dtilt's IASA, but that's it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The boost grab is pretty much a better version of the dash grab. They have the same hitbox and the same amount of lag afterwards. If for some reason you want to run and grab but don't want the boost you should JC grab.

As far as JC grab vs boost grab, JC grab has less lag if you miss and a better hitbox. The advantage of boost grab is you can get to your target faster when you're running, because of the boost.

Boost grab is good for techchasing (the most important use), chaingrabbing in some odd situations (Sheik dittos at 0 I think), and possibly for mindgames, like when you are running at your opponent looking like you might dash attack but boost grab instead. For other uses JC grab is the way to go.
Standing dash grab is required for CG at like 0 and super low percents.

Boost grab doesn't work for CG very well IMHO.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
ive lost to nothing but fox or ic for like 14 tournies in a row
you lost to me in sheik dittos

gtfo outta here with your bs

XD

Also if you get lasered in the air then try immediately airdodging towards the ground works pretty good.

Also if you're gonna crouch lasers you gotta wd back and forth some. If you ps lasers make sure to wd oos to make it useful.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Huh.. I'll try that airdodge but i doesn't really seem like it would help the situation. Care to elaborate?

Also what happened to PS laser into grab Tope? =3

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
well most of the time when I PS it's cause they're firing from half the screen away lol

also i dunno give you invincibility if they try to follow up that laser with an aerial or an fsmash.

really just getting to the ground faster in that matchup is a good thing :)

Animal

Smash Lord
how do u fight with sheik. ik how 2 be gay with sheik. but i dont know how 2 fight lol

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
well most of the time when I PS it's cause they're firing from half the screen away lol

also i dunno give you invincibility if they try to follow up that laser with an aerial or an fsmash.

really just getting to the ground faster in that matchup is a good thing :)
I'm actually confused on that last point Tope.

I... really have a lot of trouble visioning what is a good position to have vs falco.

I wanna be in the air to not be stuck in my shield but obviously that makes it so you can be combo fodder.

At the same time I can't just sit there crouching....

I really feel like its just difficult to MOVE T_T

>_______>

how do u fight with sheik. ik how 2 be gay with sheik. but i dont know how 2 fight lol
tbh, unless you're plank/Kira its not THAT effective to attempt to play gay =3.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
if I've learned anything from getting brutally assrammed from pp is that you do not want to be in the air.

really psing and wd oos if the only option

oh and lots of lightshield when you can remember :)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea being in the air vs falco is only really good if you're like peach >_<

I feel like this is the one match up where I feel like I have to get lucky or something I guess I have to start watching videos >___<

DJRome

Smash Hero
i don't get it. how did amsah jump around so much vs zhu? that's being in the air and it worked really well

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I actually am thinking about full hopping if the distance between you isn't drastically far or close.

That way you might be able to momentarily stop falco's laser pressure with needles.

Though I'm not really sure about its usage *shrugs*.

I'm gonna go watch amsah/tope and go bug amsah/tope =D

Top Bottom