• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I don't think playing ROB's too bad. I don't mind him, maybe it's cuz most ROBs I play are super predictable tho. Like they all glide gyro toss d-smash or spotdodge d-smash waaaay too much. But you're right about those quick moves

Savon

Smash Ace
Why does it seem like Melee players constantly have to say that Brawl is bad?

It seems like most of the Melee community has a never ended goal of insulting Brawl and saying how Melee is better. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, and it is not like Brawl players are running around saying Melee is a bad game, so why is there such a strong animosity coming from the Melee community?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Why does it seem like Melee players constantly have to say that Brawl is bad?

It seems like most of the Melee community has a never ended goal of insulting Brawl and saying how Melee is better. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, and it is not like Brawl players are running around saying Melee is a bad game, so why is there such a strong animosity coming from the Melee community?
Because Brawl took it's community.

:093:

Life

Smash Hero
Only thing Brawl could use is a tad more hitstun (tripping is bad, but doesn't destroy the game IMO)

bwahahahaha

Also, "its". /grammarstapo

So, /hope tomorrow.

Savon

Smash Ace
Tripping is the only thing about Brawl I honestly hate. However a simple hacking of the Wii and I get not only no tripping, but texture hacks too. Metal Sonic ftw.

BSP

Smash Legend
This Brawl vs. Melee thing is stupid. Just play your preference.

Melee and Brawl are about even when it comes to gay stuff. Planking puff looks pretty ugh...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I should bring my friend here. He went on a major "Brawl vs. Melee" rant in the Oklahoma thread when Sakurai had that recent interview, so I'd probably get a kick again if this continues.

Tenki

Smash Hero
You people just really like to disregard ROB's attacks that come out on like, the 2nd frame with high priority and long range. idgaf how big of a target he is or how much he planks, it's just the fact that it's really hard to get past his defenses. Not only that, his offenses can be really dangerous too. He's just well rounded.

Sure, him being a target, having SOME slower moves is where we can take advantage of some things. It's not a horrific MU as I had already stated. It's the fact that you're acting like ROB's really minor weaknesses are our magic bullet. I'm not even referring to Cheebz. Just play a ROB that actually knows how Sonic works.
also, some other quote about f/d-tilt and stuff.

So like, one of the last tourneys I went to, there was a ROB player in GA named ZOM~B and I think he was pretty good. Before the tourney started, I went on AiB and played HolyNightmare, Ally's brother, in a ladder match. After I lost, I asked him about the ROB matchup and asked how Ally usually handled his tilt shenanigans.

He basically said that Ally would parry each one with powershields, which got me thinking about using Powershield as an OoS option lol.

When I played ZOM~B in tourney again, I did much better, since I avoided things like B-air/N-air (though, I screwed up a jablock setup D: ), but more importantly, the PS OoS was really cool lol.

I ended up avoiding his kill moves enough that I eventually got killed by an F-tilt, of all things X.x;

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
also, some other quote about f/d-tilt and stuff.

So like, one of the last tourneys I went to, there was a ROB player in GA named ZOM~B and I think he was pretty good. Before the tourney started, I went on AiB and played HolyNightmare, Ally's brother, in a ladder match. After I lost, I asked him about the ROB matchup and asked how Ally usually handled his tilt shenanigans.

He basically said that Ally would parry each one with powershields, which got me thinking about using Powershield as an OoS option lol.

When I played ZOM~B in tourney again, I did much better, since I avoided things like B-air/N-air (though, I screwed up a jablock setup D: ), but more importantly, the PS OoS was really cool lol.

I ended up avoiding his kill moves enough that I eventually got killed by an F-tilt, of all things X.x;
I actually played HolyNightmare irl too at the first Apex. I beat him first match and he was really impressed. He could tell that I knew the MU well.

Guess what? He won the set. So to all y'all haters, I know my **** when it comes to this ROB business.

PS OoS certainly sounds interesting. I'm assuming there is a chain where we could PS OoS then follow up with a grab or something?

I notice a pattern with a lot of ROBs is that they waste Nair as a defense move instead of a KO move against Sonic since it's like a "ah sonics too fast and i need something that protects me from all around". It starts up slow, but a smart ROB that can time things like a not-idiot is really effective. However, we can usually die by a Fair because ROB can also effectively rack us up to like 180% anyway.

Also, I'm glad that Tenki responded to me because I feel the things I'm saying are still relevant to the current metagame xD

_Dice

Smash Ace
Because Brawl took it's community.

The same thing exists in Starcraft. Alot of Starcraft 1 players say that SC2 has no skill involved, that it's awful and that it's not as fun to watch as Starcraft.

but Starcraft 2 has the top players consistantly placing in the top (thus skill is involved), the biggest prize money of ANY Competitive game, and many more viewers and fans than starcraft 1 (outside of korea).

The real reason they hate it: Starcraft 1 is dying and alot of the scene jumped ship to SC2.

/Starcraft 2 pro

It's just a bias'd view and common reaction to any threat.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
GODDAMNIT

LAST 20 minutes OF ASSASSIN CREED BRO'N IT UP HOOD WERE ABSOLUTE **** AND FULL OF MIND ****ERY

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'd rather have no tripping than more hit stun.
Thank goodness..... this. Hitstun is not good; at least not on its own. Melee was faster all-around so it doesn't feel as bad to have hitstun (although I find it really annoying to go back)... but when ppl add hitstun to brawl, it's like -- why are you making this game slower!!!?? hitstun is just time in which you don't get to do anything.... you just have to wait. Instead brawl has this momentum-cancelling thing where it's like -- you can't just DI -- you've got a bunch of very fast choices to make that will influence how you're going to get back to the stage safely + regain control! it's great.

If a smash game didn't have DI, then getting combo'd would just be boring for both players. DI makes it sort of a mini-game, whereby the combo-er has to at least guess where the opponent will go in order to follow-up (+ techchasing where applicable). Brawl extended that by giving the defender more options, which can make "brawl combos" very very interesting (though more rare, because more often the defender will find a way out). Brawl may have not done this in the best way, but the idea makes sense.

If anything, I think it's brawl's knockback amount that makes it slow. You hit someone, and then they're too far away for you to reasonably follow up with it, even if you do predict what they're going to do.

tl;dr: brawl might have been better if it was balanced for a lower knockback setting.

Then again, there are a lot of things that could have made Brawl better. I still like the game, personally prefer it to melee, but it's hard not to be disappointed re: what it could have been.

I guess it's typical for someone named "Inferiority Complex" to point out a grammatical flaw on a video game forum in an attempt to boost self esteem.
tbh I also find the "it's" incorrectness to be really frustrating to read. It just messes with my ability to grok the text.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's just a bias'd view and common reaction to any threat.
Exactly!

tbh I also find the "it's" incorrectness to be really frustrating to read. It just messes with my ability to grok the text.
Hey.

**** happens.

But I apologize. Only for you, infzy.

It's not nearly as bad as other popular ones. Such as "syke" and how absolutely no one anymore can figure out when to use "you're". Seriously. Go on Facebook. All you see is "your cute :)" and "i think your really awesome and i miss you :/"

FFFFFFFFFF

Oh btw cammy, come to the next CoT :O
Or you get houtenjin'd.
There's another one being planned? Keep me posted.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Speaking of Melee, I hope project M is good. The problem I found with Bbrawl, Brawl +/- was that they didn't have any real goal in mind and they all seemed to just get out of control. Last time I looked at Bbrawl it was looking alot like Brawl Minus. Pretty much all the characters could fly.

OoS PS is good. I used to use it alot when people attack the back of my shield. Because you and unshield, turn around power shield and then punish more effectively. Especially with somewhat commited attacks like dancing blade.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Project M is funny xD

I played it at my last tournament.

Sonic can cg with a uthrow pivot grab LOL

I did it like 6 times on the people I played with

but the spinshot/SDJ physics are really weird o_O

Tenki

Smash Hero
k Tesh... I don't get your avy....

I see a blindfolded knuckles carressing a one-eyed cyclops Daffy Duck.

plz explain
Seriously? You can't recognize a Sonic character?

This has angered me so much that I will post what will probably be the one and only anthro pic I will ever post on these boards. It's Knuckles caressing/kissing this character:

Rouge the FBat.
<3
trolololololololo

Tesh

Smash Hero
I have just defeated Oreo Excel on wifi. His Metaknight was no match for my Snake/ Sonic combo. There were many explosions and back airs. He teched my downthrow but I was too fast for him. There was much powershielding and many more Hypnosmashes. My power was too great for a mere bat. Then ofcourse he ragequit and I could hear him crying from states away (might have been some kid outside actually).

But fear not, I have a new apprentice. Younger and more powerful than Excel ever was. Rise Darth Speedius.

I am now the best Sonic in all the places painted Pink.

The water too.

Come get me Excel!

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado

Sounds about right.
Lol if I was bad, I wouldn't have fully finished it within a day

It just seems really unpolished, like they met the minimum requirement for a Sonic game and went 'yea that'll do' without making fine adjustments
Maybe I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses but it just doesn't seem to compare with the older Sonic games (although not a right lot does these days)

Top Bottom