• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

ORLY

Smash Master
lol his head looks so tiny in that picture, too

but that's why i picked up falcon after he quit

homage de bangelo

Windrose

Smash Lord
I've been trying to pick up marth lately to fix falco problems. Shame on me, falcon only. Up hill battles are so satisfying when you win.

Walt

Smash Ace
what MUs do people need help with? every time we talk about less played characters it's like "idk I don't play against that character"

ICs: idk I don't play against that character
samus: uair all day/over shoot a lot at neutral so you don't get WD back dsmash'd like an idiot
doc: nair space him/don't let him get control with pills/don't get grabbed/nairing a lot may condition CC dmash so mix it up with with knee or stomp sometimes when you're right on them
ganon: just run around near him till he does something and grab him into punish
pikachu: I have no idea the only 2 pika players I know I beat just because I'm way better than they are

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
I think we need to emphasize the importance of understanding the neutral game in the marth vs falcon matchup. Everyone who knows anything about this matchup will say that its just a game of patience, whoever approaches first gets *****, and this is true. However, just dash dancing forever on one side of the stage doesn't work, especially because marth can approach into falcons zone more safely than falcon can against marth (not by approaching with a nair, but by simply walking foward)

So, to win this matchup I think it's important to utilize other things other than just dash dancing in this matchup, a prime example of this being Haxs match vs HBK imo who is a pretty good marth. he uses the platforms alot in the neutral game, never approaching directly cus u just get ***** but just waiting for an opening in marths defense. This is something I need to do more. and also need to learn how to win the neutral game on FD as well (which is harder imo).

heres the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMdSihQSYbs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Walking leaves every attack option open while closing distance. Dashing (what falcon does, usually) leaves much less (jumping, grabbing, dash attacking and shielding)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Dash canceling is good but you can't do it out of an initial dash, Marth players will space so that you can't start runnin, and pivots are inconsistent.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Yes, I understand what walking does.

It's not like any of the extra options afforded to him by walking help him approach though. What do you want to do, walk forward and jab? ftilt? utilt? I feel like Marth's best ground intercepting move is side B, which you can do out of a dash.

I mean I know it's good situationally, but it's not like if falcon's dashing around in neutral and Marth just walks towards him Marth somehow bypasses the standard neutral mixup game.

0Room

Smash Lord
falcon boards suck.

let's talk about matchups that people need help with.
Lol
This just reminds me of when Reneblade told me that it's my fault when the CF boards stagnate

Also
I have no desire to play this game anymore, or even talk about it. Someone help me stimulate my life. I watch some videos but I don't feel anything. I just go "yep."
PP vs Mango Rom4
Yep

Hax vs Kage
Cool

Hax vs anyone else
lol ****

Walt

Smash Ace
Seriously. Or just take a break. Take like a month break, come back and play and remember how fun this game is. Lately I haven't been play falcon much just to keep it more lively. Also playing other characters helps me see what falcon can and can't do better.

My fox and sheik have been getting pretty ok.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah 0room I get that feeling too.

That's why I leave for months and come back later. This game gets boring if you aren't constantly challenging yourself.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Seriously. Or just take a break. Take like a month break, come back and play and remember how fun this game is. Lately I haven't been play falcon much just to keep it more lively. Also playing other characters helps me see what falcon can and can't do better.

My fox and sheik have been getting pretty ok.
i agree walt.

yet at the same time people act like Falcon is Einstein work. dont worry so much on match up.its better to be focused your opponent on and on peoples di more importantly (if you haven't listen to Jeff's terrible podcast.not that he was bad but the fact the people asked the most mediocre questions about falcon,plus it was a bit rushed...imo[think what you want biased readers.]...) i mean c'mon on worse comes to worse if your falcon go NUTS.

0Room

Smash Lord
I've been on a break since the 1st of the month.
I feel like it's getting to that scary point where it's legit about time to move on.

But then again I don't usually have breaks this long. It's normally 2 weeks, or less. So maybe it's just a normal reaction, what do you guys think?

Windrose

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna lie, i've been playing very little melee and a lot of dota lately....

it's just hard to play melee when you dont' have good people to practice with + time. melee has a lot of travel expenses and shoe leather costs.

EDIT:

which is why i had a lot of hope for project M!! It would be the game that would be exactly like melee but with online capabilities and stage editing functions. =/ However, I saw the latest closed alpha of Project M and I didn't like it. So this dream is out the window. project M =/= melee with online play =(

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Isn't latency the real problem with that idea? (melee + online play)

and 0room I don't think you should force it, or feel obligated to stick with smash somehow. Just do what comes naturally. Even if you end up going on hiatus I doubt you'll be gone forever. ;) This game is pretty hard to quit for good

0Room

Smash Lord
Lol Juggles

So I did play for a little bit today. I didn't really enjoy playing :falcon: for now but :marth:'s nair and :fox:'s uair is super fun

uair->grab->uthrow->uair is just fun
uair shenanigans like uair->utilt is amusing too

I do miss the knee though

Walt

Smash Ace
uair is actually my favorite fox move. or maybe it's shine but it's shine soooo....

my friend was playing DK a little today and as it turns out DK is so fat you can do shine>uair to him. hilarious. also on a platform against ganon I did soft nair>waveshine>uair as he slid off. super dope. my techskill was super sick today, did perfect waveshine OoS>utilt>shinenair on ness. I've never even done waveshine OoS with fox before and I wasn't even thinking about it, I was just like "my shield got hit-time to **** punish him" and got a beasty combo out of it.

as you can see all my friends who I play with at school play some low tier dudes, doc and ganon were the highest tiered characters I played against today.

since this is a falcon thread also on ganon I got stomp>jab reset>stomp>reverse knee>knee

0Room

Smash Lord
Bro Marth walking towards you is one of the scariest things in the world
Also played some Darkrain today, donned the grey suit and ran around looking for openings

Fun and interesting, funny how the day I complain I get back into it

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
0Room i thought u meant u played with Darkrain. My eyes lit up for a moment, then i realized he is forever retired D:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
i agree walt.

yet at the same time people act like Falcon is Einstein work. dont worry so much on match up.its better to be focused your opponent on and on peoples di more importantly (if you haven't listen to Jeff's terrible podcast.not that he was bad but the fact the people asked the most mediocre questions about falcon,plus it was a bit rushed...imo[think what you want biased readers.]...) i mean c'mon on worse comes to worse if your falcon go NUTS.
That was like the best podcast ever

0Room

Smash Lord
He's not forever retired. He is eternal, an enigmatic force of destruction

It's funny because he NEVER talks theory with anyone, at least on the boards
He basically just hangs out

It's interesting

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
Nah, dont quit, 0room

I need someone to be at apex this january that I know

you ARE going. . . right??