• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Windrose

Smash Lord
spamming safely spaced moves seems pretty good against puff...what do you guys think?

Windrose

Smash Lord
So.. anything new about Falcon that's interesting?
Hey, the last time you came to Toronto. I asked you how you did your gentlemens.

You told me you pressed A, A, A.... that's it.

I asked if you held the last A. You said no...

This confused me as I'm pretty sure that pressing A three times only worked in PAL. I tried to watch your controller as you did gentlemens but I couldn't catch a good glimpse.

Looking back on that night, I'm starting to suspect if you were trolling me as you and your friends were not exactly sober that night.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Oh no, even if I'm high I can't really bare to troll anyone in RL unless jokes are cracking around. lol.

But ya I definitely just press A-A-A and I make sure to press them fully. That's pretty much it for me.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
if you press them fully and cleanly, it's really more about "interrupting" the rapid punch with dash, jump, or shield, so if you're doing it right, you shouldn't really have to hold the third A press that long.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Wow...still new stuff to learn about the gentlemen even now...I just always thought you had to hold the third A.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
you do have to hold the third A, but not nearly as long if you interrupt the gentleman with something.

It's kinda like the IASA frames on marth's dtilt except with the gentleman, if you don't interrupt with dash, jump, shield, etc. during your IASA frames and then let go of your third A press before a certain time, you go into rapid punches.

edit: I'm not entirely sure if the IASA frames overlap exactly with the "interrupt to avoid rapid punches" frames. In other words, some of the later frames of IASA might be past where you have to hold A to gentleman properly. It would still be in your interest to input at this point purely to get out of wind down lag. But that's a minor detail that shouldn't matter since you would want to interrupt way before then.

D

Deleted member

So.. anything new about Falcon that's interesting?
I have some insights and subtle things that no one talks about but they are so tiny that it's probably not worth mentioning/ everything in the world will say DUHH OBVIOUS despite never doing it

thumbswayup

Smash Master
What? You mean Falcon is doing it right. lol.
Haha man when Puff abuses the spacing and bairs Falcon doesn't have much on her. I believe he can tie moves with her when he uses his bair or uair, but otherwise it's extremely hard to hit a Puff who knows what they're doing. And then when you hit her you're most likely not gonna get a great followup on it. Meanwhile when she hits you you're probably gonna die.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna lie, i've been playing very little melee and a lot of dota lately....

it's just hard to play melee when you dont' have good people to practice with + time. melee has a lot of travel expenses and shoe leather costs.
Man, sounds like ur just talking about my past 4 years ( with the dota stuff also :p ).

Windrose

Smash Lord
That's cuz melee has no online play. It is hard to get better. The community is spread apart and travel costs are high.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
You don't even have a clue about how it is there in France :p
If ur not from Lyon or Paris ur pretty much in a bad place.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Sounds like you probably shouldn't play this game then....it is impossible for you to even find opponents...

which is why i had SUCH HIGH HOPES for project M. you could play essentially MELEE but ONLINE!!

but it's such a bad game and is still very different even in the latest closed alpha backroom version.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Project M isnt melee. Its like melee with the ATs, but with all the extra characters it just doesnt feel like melee. I think it would be a pretty alright game if melee never existed so we couldnt compare the 2...
:phone:

Windrose

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7p7ZB6IWUg&feature=g-u

skip to game 2. I think I was meant for this character
man that second game is WTF with the offensive knee edgeguards.

The offensive edge guarding with the knee.....i wonder if the fox just had really bad recovery choices or if this is actually very viable? I usually do this more against falco knowing falco has much more limited choices and you can just always go parallel with with a knee and it's pretty easy to hit him...

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
man that second game is WTF with the offensive knee edgeguards.

The offensive edge guarding with the knee.....i wonder if the fox just had really bad recovery choices or if this is actually very viable? I usually do this more against falco knowing falco has much more limited choices and you can just always go parallel with with a knee and it's pretty easy to hit him...
just depends how much they mix it up. he jumped instantly almost every time

edit: i jump out there way more than is likely advisable. it's fun, awesome when it works, but def risky if someone is paying attention. also, chuckled at the falcon punch towards the end. def started disrespecting him late in the match lol

wrt risks, stuff like this. not picking on kage, happened to watch this vid just now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEKjqfZM_w#t=7m25s

Windrose

Smash Lord
^yeah see that kage video scenario happens to me often so i stopped being so aggressive and jumping out like that...unless you see them fire foxing close to the ledge you can have lots of time to go out and hit them....

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
ok, i'm just saying, if i see a falcon punch oppertunity, i ****ing take it. like, what are you really doing unless you're hitting offstage falcon punches? Jacking yourself off, that's what. Masturbating to the image of a TRUE falcon player's spirit.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
^yeah see that kage video scenario happens to me often so i stopped being so aggressive and jumping out like that...unless you see them fire foxing close to the ledge you can have lots of time to go out and hit them....
Ya that was definitely my mistake there, I thought he wouldn't have jumped because he did in the past so many times so I thought I had conditioned him otherwise but then I'm like whoops fail. =P The correct solution at that point was simply to wait 1 second longer to react, it's safer and almost more guaranteed too. Like jump at him and not jump where I think he's going to be. You also see in that vid the knee reaction into uair edgeguard way out there.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Hey guys I went thru a bunch of magus posts and collected a whole bunch of useful falcon data. Check it out!

[collapse=Falcon Data]
[/collapse]

Windrose

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about hax's edge guarding style? it's pretty on point but also very safe. he generally only uses back air and angled forward tilts and edge hogs...it's slower but he seems to be very consistent with edge guarding

i'm talking about his edge guarding vs spacies and falcon

Hey guys I went thru a bunch of magus posts and collected a whole bunch of useful falcon data. Check it out!

[collapse=Falcon Data]
[/collapse]
WTF LOL

EDIT: wow now i see the picture..........................................................

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
What do you guys think about hax's edge guarding style? it's pretty on point but also very safe. he generally only uses back air and angled forward tilts and edge hogs...it's slower but he seems to be very consistent with edge guarding

i'm talking about his edge guarding vs spacies and falcon
I think that stuff is good, but Falcon needs to jump offstage regularly to get the overall most effective edgeguarding.

Which Hax does sometmies.

Top Bottom