• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about hax's edge guarding style? it's pretty on point but also very safe. he generally only uses back air and angled forward tilts and edge hogs...it's slower but he seems to be very consistent with edge guarding
It's the most effective unless they firefox real close.

Also, Bair is super easy to edge guard them with.

Walt

Smash Ace
right on. my house in concord is pretty big and we could have multiple TVs set up if needed. last time people were here we had bob$, darrel, JB, and miguel but I have room for like, a 16 man tourney just my landlady might be a little mad.

also if I get a car before you I will def be going up there.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
man that second game is WTF with the offensive knee edgeguards.

The offensive edge guarding with the knee.....i wonder if the fox just had really bad recovery choices or if this is actually very viable?
Definitely not viable, lol. A whiff gives Fox center stage back, which just sucks sooooo much.

Walt

Smash Ace
I think it's viable. If fox is ever off the edge by a distance of about falcons side-b (distance may or may not be accurate I'm not sure how to explain how far it is) and below the edge by his double jump height (meaning if he DJ'd he would be level with the ledge) you can go flying out and knee him on reaction to the DJ during firefox/illusion start up. if he waits and DJ>up-b then you have time to up-b back and bair/stomp/roll edgeguard. if fox up-bs right away without DJing then he might challenge you back to the stage but usually it's safe.

I can't totally explain where on the stage this works but I have a good feeling of where it is. doesn't work as well against falco because his double jump is higher so he has more leeway of when to do it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Going off stage with a knee is very viable. In many scenarios it covers all options with either strong knee or (more likely) hitting with the weak hit, recovering and then edgehog/knee/bair/dair from ledge with invincibility. In any case, fox should die. The knee covers shine stalls and all jump timings (including sideb and upb location mixups). In some cases fox might be able to fastfall and firefox without a jump and get a burn hitbox out in time, but i've never seen someone do it.

The real question becomes the setup. I'm a little rusty on the match-up, but some common setups are gentlemen near the edge and bair. Depending on DI this could start as low as 40 or 50%. Basically fox can't be able to grab the edge with his jump and falcon must be in relatively low lag so that he has time to dash and knee.

D

Deleted member

went for a tourney for the first time since michigan big house

pretty freakin rusty lool picked up so many bad things

gunna prepare for apex though

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Knee off stage is the epitome of high risk/high reward in terms of viable options for falcon (IMO).

Most of the time if you hit, even at low %s, gets you a stock. Missing on the other hand means you often lose a stock because of falcon's joke of a recovery.

Being up a stock is worth it, but too risky unless you know they are going to get hit.

On a similar note. F-throw at the ledge into DD>SH nair off stage ***** falcos. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

if I go for the double jump off stage knee and whiff beause they went low I immediately fast fall so the weak knee still hits them

then i usually try to up-b towards them and get hit

also, i think if they are off stage and you want to hit them, full hop n-air is the best because if its good range and ability to fast fall if they go low, still hitting them and you are able to up-b back if you do it right

thats assuming you hit them high though like with strong knee and they DI well and it has usually be spacies

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
Knee off stage is the epitome of high risk/high reward in terms of viable options for falcon (IMO).

Most of the time if you hit, even at low %s, gets you a stock. Missing on the other hand means you often lose a stock because of falcon's joke of a recovery.

Being up a stock is worth it, but too risky unless you know they are going to get hit.

On a similar note. F-throw at the ledge into DD>SH nair off stage ***** falcos. Thoughts?

...............that doggy gif is too cute...

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7p7ZB6IWUg&feature=g-u

skip to game 2. I think I was meant for this character
. . . WHOAAWHAAAAWTFOMGSOGETRAPeDGUUUUDBBQ!!!

. . . after seeing the last 5 seconds . . . im a fan =D

Woulda been great had he not jumped after getting knocked off for the 4th time, you knew this, and just went fuken deep on his ***. . .but the taunt knee was just about as good

went for a tourney for the first time since michigan big house

pretty freakin rusty lool picked up so many bad things
Didnt you win?

nawt bad. . . =D

I'd love to see an example of a sh nair off stage. . . seems like it wouldnt cover nearly as much as a knee, or a safer bair would.

I like going for the stretched out knee way more when/if you get a stock lead and find yourself around dying %s while your opponent spacie is about at 30-40%
at those %s I like going alil higher than average, being able to gimp the high upb and towardb options and make it back, and if he goes under you for a lower ss upb, you dj dair for the good trade. unless you feel like youre a lot better than the other player, in which case you should almost never jump far off the edge.

and in regular scenarios, it will still cover a good amount of options (like someone said earlier). . .
but yeah, you must be pretty sure the spacie isnt expecting it

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Just use it sparingly and it'll get you free stocks. Observe what they normally do when recovering and make sure that what they normally do isn't going to counter it (most likely it isn't because jumping out with knee covers like 3/4 of the regular recovery options). Then just mix it in sometimes.

They'd have to be psychic to guess when you're going to do it if you let them get away with their regular recovery a couple times.

Windrose

Smash Lord
whenever i feel any kind of advantage onstage or off i generally knee at them as fast as possible
anyone who does not do so doesn't understand how to play this character
I have been feeling this too. Falcon can extends so far off stage and still make it back. He is pretty good off stage when he wants to.

:phone:

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
how quick should i be able to get the nair to come out? who should i be able to hit the first hit of the nair with on the way up?

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THAT OIL SPILL, EH?

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
How do I tell which way nipple spike will send (Besides down, for the smartasses out there)? It seems like it has a specific angle that it generally sends, but every time I think I have it figured out it changes it up.

Ever since my whole family drowned, stomp -> nipple spike at the edge is my favorite thing to do.

D

Deleted member

How do I tell which way nipple spike will send (Besides down, for the smartasses out there)? It seems like it has a specific angle that it generally sends, but every time I think I have it figured out it changes it up.

Ever since my whole family drowned, stomp -> nipple spike at the edge is my favorite thing to do.
the nipples in the front send them down and slightly diagonally

if you do a reverse nipple stomp it'll go backwards

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
how quick should i be able to get the nair to come out? who should i be able to hit the first hit of the nair with on the way up?

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THAT OIL SPILL, EH?
the first hit of a fast shffl nair will miss fox. this is, afaik, the only circumstance you should be aware of
note that if fox is jumping himself, your nair will actually clip him and beat a nair/dair startup. why? because your nair goes further, usually it's spaced so that falcon is aerial before fox, so even though fox has fast startups and a 3frame short hop your hitbox will pre-empt him and snag his hurtbox

the oil spill is a tragedy, I wish people would stop looking at a single oil spill and look at the total damage done by oil spills per year. It's despicable, we are killing the planet, and we will eventually kill ourselves continuing down this "humans vs. brutal mother nature" path where we think we are above the laws of life
read a book *****
edit-read2books
edit2-
Falcon boards are faggy now.
welcome to falcon boards as of '10. I also LOVE that your post followed brookman's post. Coincidence? nah, I don't believe in those anymore

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
welcome to falcon boards as of '10. I also LOVE that your post followed brookman's post. Coincidence? nah, I don't believe in those anymore
The hell are you talkin bout son? You can't welcome Etwist to the falcon boards lol I've been here too long.

Butttt the boards were still cool in '10, it got faggy when everybody started to just talk about Falcon rather than talk about Falcon and random ****. It's all good though. :urg:

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
citizen, much respect

people should nominate me for best avatar in the forum awards......... eh?

ok something relevant:
what are some movement mindgames that can be used to get grabs? i feel like im having trouble in my neutral game, i try to do things and either mess up spacing or its too complex to work.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
The following has nothing to do with anything discust here.
Watch and laugh. Old footage =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFxPk1QKRns
Wait, what? howtf did Falco dair!? ... lol
So, in Falco's side-B, the hitbox trails Falco's hurtbox (that's why it is so easy to intercept and why if Marth counters it, Falco won't be hit). I believe that what happened is Falcon's up-B grabbed Falco but the Phantasm hit Falcon (meteoring him), which triggered one of those weird grab releases that happens when the grabber gets hit (which is why Falco was sent away from the stage and was no longer in Special Fall). I don't think Falco daired.

I am not sure though, so I would like a confirmation or correction.

Top Bottom