• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah I've tried to say that like 100x in the opening post. Maybe there are some smart n00bs who read it that we don't see, but it sure hasn't gotten rid of all of them.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
So now my friends all play melee instead of brawl, but all the tournaments are brawl tournaments XP. I have to practice by myself now actually. What's to practice though? IFSJ is hard but that's it, and only situation at most lol.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^ This crap needs to stop.

People with under 100 posts and an '08 join date need to stop coming in here and yelling "LEAVE BRAUL ALONEZ", and not providing any evidence or reason as to why we should stop "bashing" Brawl. I'm sorry if that sounds incredibly biased, but we form these stereotypes for a reason people. 95% of the people in the Brawl camp are like the above poster.

Try and boot up your thinking cap before coming into semi-intelligent threads. If not, then just shut up for the rest of us.

I don't care if his post was irrelevant. Right now you're seriously taking the offensive when it isn't needed. You can correct someone without putting them down.

Oh, and check if you like, I have over 100 posts.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
I don't care if his post was irrelevant. Right now you're seriously taking the offensive when it isn't needed. You can correct someone without putting them down.

And apparently I'm allowed to say this as I have over 100 posts.
sorry. '08 join date

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Oh no! over 100! sound the alarm we have an intellectual on our hands.
Let us seriously hope you did not miss the fact that my statement was oozing with sarcasm. Who cares about posts? Posts are not some way to measure intelligence. There are some who take months to register on smashboards and instead take those months to read other posts--to listen and to learn. However, I chose to register and take that time to help develop strategies for a still expanding game, which is Brawl. So far I am working on developing a stage specific strategy for Ness that could end up in a very creative way to play him, should Green Greens not be banned as well as helping the Captain Falcon mains figure out how to keep up with competitive play when their main is being debated as the worst character in the game.

I could have made under fifty posts and done the same. I could have been incredibly intelligent and made spoke sound argument clearly without racking up some ridiculous number of posts.

What bothers me is when people feel like they can tell others to back out just because their post counter isn't high enough. Grow up. If someone's making a stupid comment you can inform them without being a jerk. Stupid comments come from people who registered long before '08 and have much more than 100 posts. I've seen some of them.

So don't come around here thinking you can be a jerk because you have some amount of posts. It really doesn't matter and isn't helping further discussion. I'm just here to put out there that while we're having our discussion about competition (Yes, it's ridiculous to think we've gotten so off topic already) that we continue to be courteous to one another--as men should do.

So if you consider yourself an intellectual, then be smart enough to realize that telling people off doesn't help serious discussion at all.

RDK

Smash Hero
um...a person's stupid regardless when they join, it just happens that most idiots join in 08 and posts idiotic posts
^ This.

I'm sorry if what I said came off as crass, Proverbs, but it's the honest to God truth. People that prove themselves otherwise (such as yourself) aren't the ones getting flamed by regular members of the community. It's people like Halloween Captain, and others that will go unnamed, that are literally making the Smash community look ignorant and unstable.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
the thing is, people can have their opinions about whatever, when they first post, they are putting themselves out there. It shows what they know and what they are arguing about. It's the ones that posts endlessly about the SAME bullshirt over and over again, when they've already been proven wrong several times, that get flamed or looked down upon.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
^ This.

I'm sorry if what I said came off as crass, Proverbs, but it's the honest to God truth. People that prove themselves otherwise (such as yourself) aren't the ones getting flamed by regular members of the community. It's people like Halloween Captain, and others that will go unnamed, that are literally making the Smash community look ignorant and unstable.
Look, I was having a bad night at the time, GET OVER IT.

The 2008 groups are going to be Brawl fanatics because that is the primary reason people join in 2008. Many of them are Melee noobs, and don't give a **** about Melee anymore, if they bothered to pick it up in the first place. In fact, in many cases it seems that any question of Brawl's superiority is an affront on them.

However, you should expect to get flamed by noobs if you ask people on the Brawl boards which is the better game in any aspect, as there are NO BRAWL VETERANS to be able to intelligently defend their opinions. Its just too new a game for there to be anyone who can claim even six months experience with it to have much of an intelligent discussion.

With that said, flaming Brawl individuals will not get them to be any more appreciative of melee, but rather look down upon the melee community as elitest and/or stubbornly defiant of growing (Brawl) trends.

P.S.:
New Brawl AT?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174137

here's a link to it being used practically
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFZ13AA1w8

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Idiots complaining about the same things in Brawl since last month and more idiots trying to avoid those complaints by pointing out the same good things in Brawl since last month.

Grunt

Smash Master
Idiots complaining about the same things in Brawl since last month and more idiots trying to avoid those complaints by pointing out the same good things in Brawl since last month.
leave while you still can!
go play melee...

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
lmao, nice one halloween jackolantern captain....naaaaaaaaaat. and the veterans that you are talking about for brawl...is gonna be M2K, and a lot of melee players, then maybe a brawl kid here and there, and let me tell you, those veterans, WILL STILL SAY THAT MELEE IS A BETTER GAME, go away until it's actually halloween

M.K

Level 55
Whoever wants to play Melee, go play Melee.
Whoever wants to play Brawl, go play Brawl.

Is it really that hard?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Whoever wants to play Melee, go play Melee.
Whoever wants to play Brawl, go play Brawl.

Is it really that hard?
It would be that easy if there wasn't a 1000/1 ratio of Brawl to Melee tournaments. Then there would be no problem. As it stands though, the majority vote to play a bad game overpowers the better choice.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
It would be that easy if there wasn't a 1000/1 ratio of Brawl to Melee tournaments. Then there would be no problem. As it stands though, the majority vote to play a bad game overpowers the better choice.
I'll say the same thing here that I said in the 'Brawlers hate us-What can we do?' thread in Melee Disc. (yes, there is such a thread and yes, it is a ******** and self-centered concept):

I think people need to lose the right to post telling people to host more Melee tournaments until they host a Melee tournament/event themselves. No johns either, people.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes, feel free to ***** and complain.
Thanks

This also brings me to a point. If you don't like Brawl and you aren't going to tournaments, THEN HOLD ONE! It's not hard. You set a date, location, and then ask other people to bring things that you need. DONE (basically).

I hate not having melee tournaments, I really really do. That's why I'm hosting one. If everyone that likes melee holds a tournament at some point this year, think how many there would be!!!

Who knows, you may like it and end up holding another.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Thanks

This also brings me to a point. If you don't like Brawl and you aren't going to tournaments, THEN HOLD ONE! It's not hard. You set a date, location, and then ask other people to bring things that you need. DONE (basically).

I hate not having melee tournaments, I really really do. That's why I'm hosting one. If everyone that likes melee holds a tournament at some point this year, think how many there would be!!!

My main problem is arranging a location, as I doubt my house will be sufficient. I'll give it some thought.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Thanks

Quoted for f**kin' truth. Listen to this man; he knows what he's talking about.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^ This.

Hey, I just wanted to commend you for responding so maturely here (if that sounded sarcastic, it wasn't). Most people would have just continued and said that my two hundredwhatever posts was still insufficient and that I didn't matter either.

Thanks for apologizing as I really didn't expect it. I was actually coming back here to apologize because I feel like I got a bit out of line. You had ground for what you were saying (although the way you said it was what bothered me and I still think was unneeded) and I didn't need to go off on a tangent the way I did (the tangent was more after Aesir responded). But even so, you would be right in taking the number of posts into account. It does show reputation and people coming in saying overly repeated phrases that don't contribute are indeed inhibiting intelligent discussion.

Sorry if I came across as self-righteous, I definitely feel like I was at that point.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Can anybody explain me this:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HEm-rQHRtvQ&fmt=18

That is the most intense Brawl battle I've ever seen.

Why do these two guys fight quickly, without projectile camping/turtling? This is just the opposite of what is commonly accepted in this thread. It is like an AT-less Melee!

Could it be that japanese are actually playing competitively instead of arguing what game is better?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Why do these two guys fight quickly, without projectile camping/turtling? This is just the opposite of what is commonly accepted in this thread. It is like an AT-less Melee!

Could it be that japanese are actually playing competitively instead of arguing what game is better?
Why is playing without projectile camping/turtling "playing competitively?" Sounds more to me like "playing for enjoyment." Of which the two typically happened to be similar in Melee, but not so much in Brawl.

Also, the most intense Brawl battle you've ever seen makes me zone out at around 1:03. Which is about 48 seconds longer than normally, but eh.

Reaver197

Smash Lord

Because Japanese people play with honor, not like dirty American smashers. Ha ha.

Seriously, it's just the fact that they're both playing aggressively, which is the worst way to play Brawl. It only works and looks good because they both do it. All it takes is just one of them to start to take advantage of the defensive aspect of the game, and all that goes down the drain.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
@Ankoku: Playing without projectile camping or turtling isn't inherently more competitive, but it is antithetical to what everyone is saying about the current Brawl metagame. And, are we supposed to care that you zone out at 1:03? Here's a cookie? Big deal; you'd have to be either purposefully ignoring the video or a giant douche to deny that the fighting in that vid is not what is usually categorized as a 'Brawl fight', and that the two guys are moving at speeds rivaling early Melee play. Is it more interesting than Melee vids? That's not the point, nor is it what that vid was brought up to discuss. Is it faster than what we've been seeing from American players? Hell yes it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom