• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai ADMIITED cutting out characters

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The only idea he added was Sonic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I doubt it was just the "forbidden 7" that didn't make the cut because at the GDC (Game Developer's Conference) back in March, he mentioned that a few characters weren't added due to legal issues and he didn't have time to set them straight like he did with Snake and Sonic.

Black/Light

Smash Master
You hate him? If it wasn't for him you wouldn't even be playing this game :ohwell:
Hate Nintendo, not Sakurai

(I know you weren't serious)
What did Nintendo do?:dizzy:

I mean, other than say they would just rehashed SSBM with new characters if he didn't work on the game which is what alot of people seem to have wanted. . . .

Don't blame Nintendo for Sakurai's choices:ohwell:

And Sakurai likes to contradict himself. .. or simply lie. I remember being pissed when I read the IGN interview from way back where he said that all the characters in brawl where all the characters he wanted in the game. He sounded like he could go either way on making a new SSB as well because he was just sooo happy with this one.

Now all this "I wanted sooooo much more" stuff pops up. . .

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Don't blame Sakurai for Nintendo's choices aswell.
You think no Nintendo directive had influence in several final decisions? What if the Wii wasn't the console that it is (aka CASUAL), this game could have been a lot more different perhaps.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Don't blame Sakurai for Nintendo's choices aswell.
You think no Nintendo directive had influence in several final decisions? What if the Wii wasn't the console that it is (aka CASUAL), this game could have been a lot more different perhaps.
Well, given the fact that Nintendo went out of there way to make sure that TOS2 didn't turn out to be a lower stream (what you call "CASUAL" )title and the fact that this title is directed at the core nintendo fans I don't think you can "Blamez the WiI!!". :ohwell:

Like I said, they where going to take SSBM and add more characters if left on their own with out Sakurai. . .how come SSBM with more characters can be seen as w/e you think brawl is.

Sakurai is the one who said that he wanted to make it this why, more open to more people. The man worries about "that 1 person feeling bad about being the 11111th person on the ranking system" which is his reason for why theres no ranking system according to him.

It's clear that this game is one of Nintendo's core series. Nintendo is not interested in making the Wii some system that only is aimed at the down stream user base ( CASUAL, as you see it). Thats why they are doing things like a freaken 2D Wario-Land game, publishing Fatal Frame 4 for the Wii and are openly asking devs to make core title and not just down stream titles.

Sakurai chose to make this game the way it is. . .IDK if you like it or not but thats how he made it. He didn't want Melee 2.0 but Nintendo would have been happy to do that so I take brawl to be his brain child and not "Nintendo making it more open to other people!".

K64

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is now in Sora Ltd. If they do make da next Smash Bros., heaven knows what'll happen. S***

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
Wow, way to bump a 3 month old thread :ohwell:
I wonder what page this was on before it was bumped.:laugh:

Anyway, bumping topics that are too far back is a no-no. Please don't do that again. Kapeesh?
;)

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Theory:

Im sure im not the only one to figure notice this, but im gon go and say it anyways:
Most of the trophies in the game are 3d renders of past game art, for example, sothe, black knight, and among others have the same pose as they do in past art...

however... there are some that dont, like all of u know, playable characters, pokeball pokemon and assist trophies have a certain pose thats identical to the ones shown in the DOJO, only in 3d obviously, now keep this in mind, characters that are actually part of the gameplay got a new render/pose for their trophy... how come characters like dark samus and krystal have a completely diferent pose that is diferent from that of their past game art?

some of u think 'well krystal only had two art in assault, one with a gatling gun and one with her sitting in a chair, no point in rendering these extra stuff', true, but then explain dark samus, she has a completely diferent pose diferent to that of her 3d art and drawn art for MP2 echoes...

more examples on how they reuse past game art are the hunters from MP: H, they have the exact same astrophies as the poses they had in the game art of the game, what I want to point out is that maybe depending on the trophies, we can get an idea who was at least considered, now dont go 'so u mean X character was in brawl but cut?!', no, im not saying they were, but MAYBE, also dont go 'but X character has a diferent pose too and he/she/it/potatoe/ does have arms/legs/limbs all together', then use logic, would the character have WORKED? seriously characters like chain chomp and the like wouldnt have worked, so dont go there...

again this is just my theory... discuss I guess...

and why the hell not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_JDj8us-w
shameless self promotion? hellz yeah

This is actually a really inteligant post, it starts to make sence that the trophies may start to tell us who was either considered or is going to be in the next smash game. Go back to melee and reaad pits trophie, you can't tell me that at that point they didn't already know he was going to be in the next game, also like someone else mentioned diddys and wolfs absence in the melee trophies was a hint that they might be playable. Now as this mentioned, the different poses could mean two things like he stated they were considered, or like in melee they are hints at towards who'll be playable.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Sakurai is now in Sora Ltd. If they do make da next Smash Bros., heaven knows what'll happen. S***
Everyone read this right here.....this right here.....THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NotGiratina

Smash Apprentice
You also have to think,Sakurai said he wanted to find characters with the BROADEST appeal,and while we may be the best-informed and most skilled players we're only a fraction of the gaming population.While a Monstrous pirate General skilled in hand-to-hand combat and pyrokinesis or a magically posessed Doll with life-threatening firearms and magic are awesome to us (or at least a few).It could well be stupid,ugly or scary to others.

Also,to an earlier comment,If one were to use Ridley in his quadrupedally oriented forms(Meta Ridley,Ridley X) then there ain't a snowball's chance in heck,though if one were to use a biped like ZM(which is the same game where the Samus Model came from) Ridley or Super Metroid Ridley it's feasable.Not terribly likely,but Feasable.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
^^Great sig. I'm tempted but i like mine.

The thing about a "new approach" for SSB4 is interesting. It's a guarantee that it won't be melee 2.0, but it's also a gaurantee it won't be brawl 2.0. It could be something great. Gravity can't get much lower, though. So i spose we have to expect lower gravity maybe? Or maybe variable gravity. Or no gravity. Wait no gravity would be really gay. Maybe variable gravity (stage specific).

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is more epic and moe~ because of this. At least he thinks about his choices of who to put and to remove.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
no pit wasnt cut from ssb64. but mewtwo was. there was also someone else that i forgot.
basically if he was supposed to be cut he would appear in melee.
Actually, to my recollection;

Bowser, Mewtwo, Marth, and King Dedede were cut from SSB64.

Why Dedede was not put in Melee, remains an unanswered question. Was it possibly because the Waddle Dee bit was something the gamecube wasn't equipped for? Who knows how Sakurai's mind works?

And them being cut from that version makes me wonder if they'll be added in SSB64 on the VC.

Wouldn't that be great? And that would certainly put an end to the whining about Mewtwo not being in Brawl (As much as I sympathize with it)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You hate him? If it wasn't for him you wouldn't even be playing this game :ohwell:
Hate Nintendo, not Sakurai

(I know you weren't serious)
If it weren't for Sakurai, yes, the Smash games probably wouldn't exist, at least not in the same way as they do today. But what Sakurai did with Smash in Brawl (tripping, annoying physics, etc.) and the fact that he did it with the purpose of helping noobs out and making the field more level is what started me on the path to Melee conversion. I mean, I dislike Brawl as well but I didn't realize it until I realized what Sakurai had done on purpose.

Sakurai-hating aside, this thread is kind of...uh, pointless? As Mic_128 said, you think MAYBE he cut characters? We find lost character data in the game and you think MAYBE he cut characters? It happens everywhere, the fact that he admits to it is just about as big of a deal as, using Mic's example, police admitting to arresting people.

I hope it was the forbidden 7 that got cut though, that probably means they'll return in SSB4. And Plusle and Minun I wouldn't especially be for (another electric mouse, after the second one failed?), Toon Zelda/Sheik would just be clone city, Roy I don't think particularly deserved the spot in the first place, but...the return of Mewtwo and the arrival of Dixie would be epic. And Dr. Mario would be good to have return, because I could play pretty well with him in Melee, but despite him being a clone of Mario I could never get Mario down.

...Argh, I'm doing exactly what I told myself NOT to do. Getting excited for SSB4 when Brawl was such a flop (for me). I'm just setting myself up for the same disappointment...

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
They should have removed all those useless, but take a lot of space masterpieces. and put the Forbidden 7 Instead... IMO oh and remove tripping and only let it in certain moves that it is in and bananas

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Putting in more characters wouldn't repair the things that Snake & Metaknight destroyed..
(balance)

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Didn't I make a thread including the whole interview over a week ago?
I thought this was old news...

Edit: Just jk :D
I think the pressure to release the game made him cut out characters.

~rh

Smash Lord
Actually, to my recollection;

Bowser, Mewtwo, Marth, and King Dedede were cut from SSB64.

Why Dedede was not put in Melee, remains an unanswered question. Was it possibly because the Waddle Dee bit was something the gamecube wasn't equipped for? Who knows how Sakurai's mind works?

And them being cut from that version makes me wonder if they'll be added in SSB64 on the VC.

Wouldn't that be great? And that would certainly put an end to the whining about Mewtwo not being in Brawl (As much as I sympathize with it)
To think of DDD in Melee... :chuckle:

This is old

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Putting in more characters wouldn't repair the things that Snake & Metaknight destroyed..
(balance)
Why did you bump this thread? Oh well, what past has past, as long as people are having good responses to this, its cool.

Anyway, did people really want Plusle and Minun in? Wow, just wow.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Meh, none of the people who got cut mean anything to me anyways. Would have been interesting to see hey would have buffed Mewtwo and Roy...but that's it.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
You know I heard in some random interview that Sakurai had promised at least 40 characters to be in Brawl
Well call those "rumors," and most rumors about inclusion of characters in Brawl are usually false unless proven otherwise. This is one of them.

Top Bottom