• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai ADMIITED cutting out characters

Spire

III
BRoomer
Probably just the forbidden 7, although i wouldn't like Plusle & Minun, Dr. Mario, and Toon Sheik (Tetra plz)
Please read through the thread. It's obvious that he cut more than the "forbidden 7". I'm sure he went through countless character ideas during pre-development and planning. Remember Sakurai's character poll? You can include every character in that. If they made the poll, then each and every one of them had the possibility to be included.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
I think these "lazy hackers" has done more for the smash community than you'll ever do. Most likely, they dug up everything they could.
I just called them lazy just to say it. Its obvious that they have done more than me. Also all I'll trying to say is that I want to see if they have done something so thats why I keep looking out incase I find something

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
How about you guys stop the sakurai hate. NEWS FLASH: EVERY GAME HAS STUFF CUT FROM IT. Do you know anything about game development? Without Sakurai the game and these forums wouldnt be here so think before jumping on the hate bandwagon.
The worse part is that nobody was rooting for the inclusion of Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, and Plusle and Minum before Brawl's release. >_>

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The worse part is that nobody was rooting for the inclusion of Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, and Plusle and Minum before Brawl's release. >_>
Toon Zelda and Plusle & Minun I will give you but there were plenty of people who wanted Dixie Kong.

Also, there is no evidence to suggest that he was planning more characters outside of the Forbidden 7.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'd imagine Toon Zelda would transform to Tetra instead of Toon Sheik...?

Haha, just a thought.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
**** I knew there was no way he'd ignore Ridley.
There is no proof that Ridley was ever planned for a playable spot during Brawl's development, however, according to a file within the game's coding, Ridley was planned to be an Assist Trophy.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Ouch. Does that mean he lied about having the roster finalized years back? Seems like it probably does to me.

And why can't he just tell us who he cut? It sounds like it could be more than just the Forbidden Seven. And even if it was just them, I'd like to see what he had planned for them.

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question. >_>

gigasteve

Smash Ace
There is no proof that Ridley was ever planned for a playable spot during Brawl's development, however, according to a file within the game's coding, Ridley was planned to be an Assist Trophy.
It was a joke.....

brg

Smash Ace
We need arnold shchwarzenegger as a playable character

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai ADMIITED cutting out characters
The best part about this thread is that I can totally see Sakurai going: Nuh uh, nope. Roy is still in the game. You just haven't unlocked them all yet.

Denial? I'm not in denial?? You just need to get better at Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ouch. Does that mean he lied about having the roster finalized years back? Seems like it probably does to me.

And why can't he just tell us who he cut? It sounds like it could be more than just the Forbidden Seven. And even if it was just them, I'd like to see what he had planned for them.

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question. >_>
Sakurai said that the entire roster was made July 2005 with the exception of Sonic. However, inferences within the game's coding and common sense would tell us that was a lie, exaggeration, or half-truth.

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why people are in such a huff about the forbidden 7 when they are just part of the bigger picture that says Sakurai ran out of time for Brawl. There are plenty of little glitches that just seem sloppy to me (air tripping with sonic, his side+b off a ramp (i forgot the technical term), DDD's mine suck glitch, the list goes on) that could have been taken out if they had had a little more time. I love Brawl, but I would have waited another 6 months while the corners got ironed out.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I know. Brawl is good though, all in all. I just hope if Nintendo decides to make a SSB4 they will try to adjust for that amount of time needed.
Agreed. Smash 4 will need at least three years to develop, as opossed to the 2.5 years of development time that was given to Melee and Brawl.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Pichu was and is a great idea.

That's really sad. They and Pichu are the worst character ideas ever.
What do you mean? I can agree with Plusle and Minun, but Pichu? He was perfectly reasonable at the time. Gold and Silver had just come out, they needed a gen. 2 rep, and what would be better than the pre-evo of pokemon's mascot? Anyways, I thought Pichu was a much better idea than G&W, who's inclusion still puzzles me a little to this day. Of course now they need gen. 3 and 4 reps, and Pichu wasn't needed anymore.

BTW, I consider Pokemon Trainer as the gen 3. rep, for a couple of reasons:

His design is based on Firered/Leafgreen design, which was released in gen. 3
Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle are the starters of FR/LG
His green costume is colored like the Emerald version clothings of the R/S/E heros, which again came out in gen. 3

Yeah, I'm a poke-freak. :p

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
Maybe this explains why Captain Falcon, Peach, and Falco suck so much
Yeah, I'd hate to have a character that can CG you to 40% off the bat, and potentially spike you off the stage immediately from that. Or a character that has a blaster that tears up ground approaches and doubles as an approach (SHDL). That character would suck.

brg

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd hate to have a character that can CG you to 40% off the bat, and potentially spike you off the stage immediately from that. Or a character that has a blaster that tears up ground approaches and doubles as an approach (SHDL). That character would suck.
still, I think nerfing falcon was the greatest loss for the super smash brothers franchise

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
What do you mean? I can agree with Plusle and Minun, but Pichu? He was perfectly reasonable at the time. Gold and Silver had just come out, they needed a gen. 2 rep, and what would be better than the pre-evo of pokemon's mascot? Anyways, I thought Pichu was a much better idea than G&W, who's inclusion still puzzles me a little to this day. Of course now they need gen. 3 and 4 reps, and Pichu wasn't needed anymore.

BTW, I consider Pokemon Trainer as the gen 3. rep, for a couple of reasons:

His design is based on Firered/Leafgreen design, which was released in gen. 3
Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle are the starters of FR/LG
His green costume is colored like the Emerald version clothings of the R/S/E heros, which again came out in gen. 3

Yeah, I'm a poke-freak. :p
What about his red costume? I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually a retro costume or if it's based on the girl in some weird way.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
What about his red costume? I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually a retro costume or if it's based on the girl in some weird way.
PT's a crossdresser!! Anyways, I was fine with most of the cuts. I wanted mewtwo but I understand that his time was up and Lucario was there to replace him. I think we need to "walk a mile in Sakurai's shoes" before we go judge him as harshy has we have as a community.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Let's get Blizzard to make the next smash. It'll take forever to come out but we sure as hell won't be disappointed.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Theory:

Im sure im not the only one to figure notice this, but im gon go and say it anyways:
Most of the trophies in the game are 3d renders of past game art, for example, sothe, black knight, and among others have the same pose as they do in past art...

however... there are some that dont, like all of u know, playable characters, pokeball pokemon and assist trophies have a certain pose thats identical to the ones shown in the DOJO, only in 3d obviously, now keep this in mind, characters that are actually part of the gameplay got a new render/pose for their trophy... how come characters like dark samus and krystal have a completely diferent pose that is diferent from that of their past game art?

some of u think 'well krystal only had two art in assault, one with a gatling gun and one with her sitting in a chair, no point in rendering these extra stuff', true, but then explain dark samus, she has a completely diferent pose diferent to that of her 3d art and drawn art for MP2 echoes...

more examples on how they reuse past game art are the hunters from MP: H, they have the exact same astrophies as the poses they had in the game art of the game, what I want to point out is that maybe depending on the trophies, we can get an idea who was at least considered, now dont go 'so u mean X character was in brawl but cut?!', no, im not saying they were, but MAYBE, also dont go 'but X character has a diferent pose too and he/she/it/potatoe/ does have arms/legs/limbs all together', then use logic, would the character have WORKED? seriously characters like chain chomp and the like wouldnt have worked, so dont go there...

again this is just my theory... discuss I guess...

and why the hell not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_JDj8us-w
shameless self promotion? hellz yeah

Uffe

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff deserves to be in brawl roster just as much as anyone on the ssb64 roster.

End yourself.
I don't play as Jigglypuff, but I believe that the classic eight characters deserve a spot in every Super Smash Bros. game.

Also to you Toon fans, Toon Shiek would most likely just be Tetra.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I don't play as Jigglypuff, but I believe that the classic eight characters deserve a spot in every Super Smash Bros. game.
Weren't there 12 characters in the original Smash 64 game? And wasn't Jiggly a secret character?

That said, I'd agree all of the original 12 likely won't go anywhere regardless of how many installments of Smash there are.

Top Bottom