• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai ADMIITED cutting out characters

CZbwoi

Smash Rookie
Sakurai Cut Characters From Smash Bros.
Masahiro Sakurai, the developer of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, has admitted to ONM that he had to cut out a lot of characters from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

In an interview that features in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine (out on Friday), Sakurai said "It's taken over three years to make Brawl but I actually stopped trying to include new ideas early on in development.

"What happened in the next year and a half was that we distilled the game down, worked out which ideas we had time to include and which we didn't. Sadly, we had to trim out many great concepts just to keep within the time constraints. I had a lot more characters, for example.. but sadly I can't discuss which ones didn't make it."

However, Sakurai said he wouldn't just create another game to use up these characters. "There are 39 characters in the game this time around and just adding a few more wouldn't be enough to justify a new game in my opinion; I'd have to draw a line in the sand and have a new approach to make it worthwhile. As long as the fans enjoy it, though, that's what matters and in the distant future, I guess that might be something I have to consider."

You can read the full interview, including Sakurai's views on how the online system has worked out, in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Friday.
---
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/...cle.php?id=4964

I'm really sad about this, wish we can know the characters that were going to be in Brawl, just knowing would make this so much better than stressing about what could've been.
I bet it's more than those removed characters from the Brawl disc's hidden data.

Gah. No! This sucks.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
It's not more then the forbidden 7. Why would he delete all of some characters data yet keep some of the others?

It's probaly just the forbidden 7.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
It was Exodia. I knew it.
lol

but, uhhh, *embarrassed* who are the forbidden 7? It's not that I haven't heard of the classification, it's just that I have no idea who they are exactly.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm not surprised.

There was a lot to be added to the game, with the clock ticking down they didn't have much of a choice. It's one of the flaws with a deadline.

Shame, I really wanted to play Roy in Brawl.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
lol

but, uhhh, *embarrassed* who are the forbidden 7? It's not that I haven't heard of the classification, it's just that I have no idea who they are exactly.
The Forbidden 7 are:

Dixie Kong
Pulse & Minun
Toon Zelda
Toon Shiek
Roy
Mewtwo
Dr Mario

Makes me wonder how Toon Shiek would've looked.

D

Deleted member

lol

The clones that didn't make it (minus pichu and Young link) Mewtwo, Plustle and Minun and some other characters that can be hacked.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sakurai cut characters? No duh. What's next? Police ADMIT to arresting people!

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You hate him? If it wasn't for him you wouldn't even be playing this game :ohwell:
Hate Nintendo, not Sakurai

(I know you weren't serious)

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Why Sakurai Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Partially Destroyed My Dream Game Without Me Knowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I gave up on dlc a long time ago... but Sakurai should realize...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I don't hate anybody for certain characters being cut! It was obvious that not every character people wanted was going to be in. Heck, Ridley was lucky to be anything more than a trophy or a tiny Easter egg in the metroid stage. Characters being cut is not new, nor is it surprising. I bet the only reason he even said this was to explain to the insane people who constantly ask "why wasn't this or that character in?!" (not an actual bet, you get nothing for betting otherwise and being right)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol ssb4 is bound to suck

Sakurai's made it clear with brawl his opinion on competition...

Oh btw, pichu's in brawl

Ya just got to look at pikachu's goggle costume (he evolved)

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I honestly expected the game to have about 5 more people. I was very surprised.

Also, more than any other character, taking out Mewtwo was just stupid. He was no clone in any way, taking him out was a slap across the face to the people that actually liked his playstyle.

SSB4 isn't gonna be out for a long while, I wonder what other characters we've come to love will be cut out. Maybe he'll cut out Meta Knight...

(insert rofl here)

Then there's the fact of how sick I am of seeing Jigglypuff as a character, and how much I hate Olimar for being in Brawl.

Top it off with the online mistakes, tripping, etc.

*sighs*

Anth0ny

Smash Master

However, Sakurai said he wouldn't just create another game to use up these characters. "There are 39 characters in the game this time around and just adding a few more wouldn't be enough to justify a new game in my opinion; I'd have to draw a line in the sand and have a new approach to make it worthwhile.

You jerk. YOU KNOW WE'D BUY IT :p

As long as the fans enjoy it, though, that's what matters and in the distant future, I guess that might be something I have to consider."
Good. Yearly Smash Bros with little to no changes to the engine with new stages and characters would be awesome.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If Brawl was still being devoloped, we would be still be looking at the DOJO updates, trying to leech as much possible infromation from pictures, and sending angry letters to Nintendo, about how we want Ridley in the game.

(Hey, I just realized...if you really think about it...Ridley IS in Brawl!)

I wish I could go back in time and somehow change it so Brawl had like 50 characters. Even then, we would see a thread like this, and be like,

"What are the Forbidden 28?"
"Pshhh, you don't know?"

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
*gasp*

Totally destroyed, lol I hang my head in shame.

*thinks about it*

Man..... I really said something dumb there..... Mewtwo is no clone in any way.....

BTW, nice andalite.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
*gasp*

Totally destroyed, lol I hang my head in shame.

*thinks about it*

Man..... I really said something dumb there..... Mewtwo is no clone in any way.....

BTW, nice andalite.
I don't think you got his post :p

Or.....I didn't get yours, bah, nevermind lol

kupo15

Smash Hero
well lets hope that he sticks to his word about making the game different and worthwhile to the fans. If this is the case, then I think the next smash will be closer to Melee gamestyle. That would be different than it is now and also pleasing to the fans.

I am not a brawl hater btw. I just hope the next one is similar to melee :)

Drazon

Smash Cadet
Of course he cut out characters. It's a hell of alot better than squeezing characters in there just to have a line up, which is what happened to melee with all those clones.

Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Roy, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Minun?
All would have been rip offs of their fellow series characters.

Cuts are necessary, time constraints exist, money is finite.
Of the reasons to be *****ing about Sakurai, don't make this one of them. Making Smash a party game, I'll side with you on that.

But complaining about not knowing what this game 'could' have been is like asking 'what would Brawl be like if it was delayed six times instead of twice?' Eventually, they have to say their done and release it. Like Sakurai said, where is that line drawn?

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Then there's the fact of how sick I am of seeing Jigglypuff as a character, and how much I hate Olimar for being in Brawl.
Jigglypuff is one of the original 12, and what exactly is so bad about Olimar? In the same way ICs, Pit, G&W and R.O.B. represent old Nintendo games/franchises, Olimar represents new Nintendo franchises.

That, and Pikmin rocked.

As for Sakurai taking out characters, I thought that went without saying. Of course there would be cuts!

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah I think you didn't get mine.

I said something utterly ******** without even realized it. The more I think about it the

more stupider

it sounds.

So, I hate Olimar, what were we talking about?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
shock and awe
This just in: Sakurai also cut some music, stages, and god knows what else.
Next Month: ONM makes a big deal out of... god I don't even know what a horrible magazine =[

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Jigglypuff is one of the original 12, and what exactly is so bad about Olimar? In the same way ICs, Pit, G&W and R.O.B. represent old Nintendo games/franchises, Olimar represents new Nintendo franchises.

That, and Pikmin rocked.

As for Sakurai taking out characters, I thought that went without saying. Of course there would be cuts!
I don't hate the pikmin franchise, I just can't understand why it has to have a character from it in a fighting game. I mean yeah, we have a big variety of fighters, but Olimar is a tiny little spaceman that can't do anything without killing thousands of dumb looking plant people. Sounds like fun, expect in a fighting game, it just goes way out there.

Then, I just hate the way Olimar plays in every form and fasion. I don't care to go into detail because that section is 100% opinion.

Lets make it worse. I think that having Ridley as a playable character is almost as bad as Olimar being on the roster. So take that all you you weirdos that actually somehow think Ridley would not break the game somehow by being playable!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Olimar is a tiny little spaceman that can't do anything without killing thousands of dumb looking plant people. Sounds like fun, expect in a fighting game, it just goes way out there.
Mr GAW is about as way out there as you can get. Attacking with a trumpet, a turtle a chair and a matchstick? and that's not even half of his weapons.

Lets make it worse. I think that having Ridley as a playable character is almost as bad as Olimar being on the roster. So take that all you you weirdos that actually somehow think Ridley would not break the game somehow by being playable!
He would break the game as much as making Bowser playable.

turboether

Smash Cadet
cutting things in development cycle is very normal. not only in games, but movies, books, music, hell, any type of media. it nothing to be upset about. if everyone told you exactly what they cut from your favourite wtfevers, youd probably ragequit life.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Mr GAW is about as way out there as you can get. Attacking with a trumpet, a turtle a chair and a matchstick? and that's not even half of his weapons.

He would break the game as much as making Bowser playable.

Bowser has appeared in many sizes throughout the Mario series, so the size he comes in for Brawl is easily believable.
Ridley has always appeared very large, and on top of that his frame structure... I just couldn't imagine it. I'm sorry but I just can't see it working, like I said Bowser has appeared in Mario games already very close to the size he shows up in Brawl. But seeing Ridley only slightly larger than Samus only annoys me.

As for GAW, yeah you got me there. That dude is WAY out there. However, the fact that he's so far out there is what buys him for me. He's completely original and incredibly unique. I can see where I may sound biased in my argument if it comes to GAW vs Olimar. Of course, there is the fact that GAW actually has a strong place in gaming history.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Except for grabs, none of his moves use his hands. Also, he uses his mouth for the uair, not a trumpet.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would not want Ridley playable because I would never want to see him dumbed down in size so he could be defeated by the likes of Jigglypuff, or even Mario for that matter. Despite Ridley being entirely feasible as a PC, he's far too "epic" in my book to be included in the roster. I love Ridley, he's great, but not as a smasher. It's sad enough to see that he's able to be defeated by a few Jiggly-pounds and twirls.

For the record, I use Jigglypuff as my scapegoat because hell, it's JIGGLYPUFF. I don't hate her, I don't necessarily want her removed from the roster, it's just JIGGLYPUFF.

People say, "oh, you can just fold Ridley's wings down, and slouch him over so he won't take up that much space," are forgetting the fact that Ridley's personality would not allow him to walk like a fragile old man. Ridley is ruthless, terrifying, and down right aggressive in any and all ways. Ridley does not fold his wings up and hunch his back so he can fit in with the crowd, Ridley eats the crowd, or in more relevant terms, acts more similarly to how he does in the SSE.

When deciding what characters should be included, you must take into account the balance between all characters, and that whittles down to each and every attack/move that the character can do, along with their hitboxes, height, weight, power, speed, fall, and every other statistic that carves the character into what they are. A character is not defined by their looks, they are defined by their statistics, and whether or not those statistics can balance out the roster well enough. For instance, just look at the roster in brawl. It's a beautiful, clean rectangle, with the characters well ordered and balanced. Hell, look at the Mario-G&W-Olimar triangle. Mario is positioned in the top left, G&W in the top right, and Olimar smack dab at the bottom of the center column. Also, what's in the center column? The three Kirby characters (not four, but three, so the space at the bottom could be open for Olimar, who completes the triangle). G&W inspired Mario's design; Mario inspired Olimar's design (and name), and hence is why they form the triangle. Sakurai put his less-known series right in the center, because it's HIS, and he wanted it centered, to balance the roster even further. It's not to the left, because Kirby does not sport the fame that Mario does, and it's not to the right, because it's not 3rd party/not well known. Pokemon is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises, but they put the Pokemon characters on the right side of the roster so that not all of the super-franchises would take up the left side. They could easily have switched the places of the Metroid/Retro column with Pokemon, but that would have looked like this:

Popular /// Fulcrum (Kirby + Olimar) /// Not as popular & extras.

How the designed it eliminated that, and mixed it up a bit.

Popular/Popular/Popular/Semi-popular/Fulcrum (Semi-popular)/Semi-popular/Popular/Semi-popular/Extras.

That boils down to 4 popular columns, 4 semi-popular columns, and the extras column (mostly 3rd party). Wanna know why Mewtwo, Dixie, Plusle + Minun, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Toon Zelda/Sheik were cut (along with any other characters in the planning stages)? Because they would have totally unbalanced the roster. It would not be your nice, clean rectangle, but would have to be rearranged entirely to attain any kind of balance or cohesive form.

Anyways, that's enough on my part.

Top Bottom