• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Olimar's defensive game can be compared to a wall of paper. No knock-back on his projectile (most of the time), smashes that lack priority, a slow grab that has no grab armor, and one of the worst recoveries in the game. Proper use of Olimar requires that you know when and where to use his moves, not simply how to perform them. You can win against your average grunt (or Ganondorf) by just spamming one or two of them, but you'll probably lose against a player that actually knows the match-up.

Please play against such a player before you say such a thing, Chibo.

RichBrown

Smash Master
So, does anyone know the Ike MU lmao

San is from another planet. I was getting hit by a lot of stupid stuff though. He was winning those 50/50 exchanges. I was getting hit by dash attack too >.< I'll admit, going into the match I didn't even know what all of Ike's moves looked like haha.

Also, I love posting because it reminds me of how purple my name is :p

16th in singles, 5th in doubles at MLG, yay =^.^=

Oh and two of the keys to Olimar is reversing his whistle and stutter stepping fsmashes. Giving myself that extra inch bailed me out of so many situations.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I was waiting to say anything about it because I wasn't sure if you wanted it to be a surprise or not lol

congrats on the backroom status, rich

RichBrown

Smash Master
I feel like if I sat with San and played him for maybe 2 hours straight I'd start to beat him consistently. I just had no idea what to do. I shoulda CPed frigate, I woulda gotten a bunch of purples and I woulda ***** him off the right side.

I was beating up Ike in training mode and figured out all sorts of gay **** I could do to Ike tho... ;o

I think I've finally climbed over another hump and I'm about to start improving by drastic measures :D

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I think it's funny when people use "just camp" or "space better' as a solution to a matchup.

Don't try to punish Ike's nair, it's completely safe on your shield and trying to do anything other than getting the hell away will get you jabbed. Dash attack shouldn't be a problem when you learn the spacing for it. It comes out fast so you have to be ready. Ike approaching on the ground usually won't work though, fsmash and pivot grab (dash attack can beat standing grab) work a good majority of the time.

Never try to go for the kill against Ike. Never ever ever! Treat it like the Donkey Kong matchup. He's going to have to leave himself in a position to get killed, and he will. He has to. Never stand next to Ike for longer than a second. If what you did to try to keep him out didn't work, get out before he lands a Jab, ftilt, utilt, etc. It would easily mean a stock loss for you.

I didn't see your set against San, so I guess I'm not able to give as good of advice as I'd like, haha. Assuming it was just a case of lack of the matchup, though.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I'm surprised I lost too. San was on effing steroids that day though. Friendly sets are wayyy different than tournament btw ;)

Frankly I shouldn't have even gotten that far

Normally MikeH@ze=auto loss for Olimar, but I was extremely patient, I stutterstepped my Fsmashes, and met his jumps with Uairs and won 2-0.

I also beat Meep 2-0. The guy does NOT DROP GRABS. **** was stressful. I made a comeback game 1, I think we were on BF. I won with 115%ish last stock. I tried to mindgame him for game 2 by not banning FD and instead banning yoshis. He picked FD, but I'd like to think I put some doubt in his mind since I didn't ban it haha. At one point he was at 2 stocks 0, I was at 1 stock 0. I kinda went into a zone after that. I ended up killing him with a red fair (Fearless?!?) and he DIed poorly and died. I was at 171%. Both climbers were still out. I had previously whistled a slightly charged Fsmash from both climbers which was why I was so high. I Usmashed him right after but he barely lived.

Ook didn't know the Oli MU.... yeahhhh lol. Gnes completely got around the way I play Diddy. I normally grab one banana and camp sideB, but he would grab the other banana and Zdrop the banana, and it would get the pikmin off. I'd never seen that **** before. The dude is mad good.

My consolation matches were ********. I literally had seibr!k beat game 1. I grabbed him with a purple on the smashville platform when he was at 107%. I pummeled to 112%, then tried to Uthrow... except my controller wouldn't Uthrow. I tried 3 times, and I just stood there. He ultimately got out and killed me =( I beat him in a last hit match on Castle Seige, but then he picked norfair. I didn't feel like going Oli at that point, so I went MK and got beaten.

Then against Atomsk, we split the first 2 games. Game 3 we were both at mid-high percent. I separated the climbers, then charged a purple Usmash as nana ran back. It connected... cept it turned out I was actually charging a white Usmash for some reason, so the ***** didn't die. He got the grab and won =(

Doubles went pretty well, Jem and I beat Se!brik and F@tal, and Hungr and C018, along with some other good teams.

Not bad for my first MLG =)

I wanna go to Raleigh but idk if I'll have the time/money.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm feeling nice, so...

Ike will use Dash Attack anytime he's far enough back, and Olimar tries to use a ground move that involves pikmin going flying (any grab, fsmash, ect). Why? As you most likely found out, Ike's Dash Attack will knock aside the pikmin, and then hit Olimar as he's still stuck holding still. If you don't want to get hit by it, you basically can't use any move that involves throwing pikmin if there is enough space for Ike to use his dash attack. >_> Granted, if you're closer then that, you're probably in jab range, which can put you into the air, which creates it's own set of problems for Olimar.

Something to work out for next time. I should also throw out there that San has some prior Olimar experience, so he knew what he was doing. :D Unless I'm mixing him up with Kirk again.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Ike is bad and stuff make olimar give him a steely look that tells him what kind of 5th rate character he is and ike will probably commit suicide to get away from it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike is bad and stuff make olimar give him a steely look that tells him what kind of 5th rate character he is and ike will probably commit suicide to get away from it.
You forgot that Ike fights for his friends though, so he'll just fall back on that, and then Fsmash while Olimar is busy staring.

Zori

Smash Champion
im glad rich got to see first hand the kind of diddy i have to deal with all the time, gnes camps me with nair and a bouncing banana in front -_- i bet you guys wont even see this tactic till another 6 months

**** diddy

Gnes

Smash Master
im glad rich got to see first hand the kind of diddy i have to deal with all the time, gnes camps me with nair and a bouncing banana in front -_- i bet you guys wont even see this tactic till another 6 months

**** diddy
LMAFO...im sorry zori :(

Easy peesy lemon squeezy

I love rich browns hair.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
isnt it gay when seibrik picks norfair game 3? same **** happened to me a few weekends ago

also, no, just camp harder is perfect advice v.s. ike.

I used to lose to our ike by using normal aggression techniques but like that one ike guy said, ike's dash attack ***** our attacks

so just wait for the dash attack and out-camp all his other moves

sure tournament isnt friendlies, but we were both trying our hardest and it wasn't a super easy win.

but seriously the only option he has to get past ur side b f smash spam is dash attack

Turazrok

Smash Master
You forgot that Ike fights for his friends though, so he'll just fall back on that, and then Fsmash while Olimar is busy staring.
What friends? the rest of the low tiers? Olimar will give them the death stare as well while whistling your pitiful fsmash.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
how r da cap'ns doing today

do you tenaciously keep track of how many total pikmin colors u pluck in a years time span?

Jane

Smash Hero
LMAFO...im sorry zori :(

Easy peesy lemon squeezy

I love rich browns hair.
anytime i see you post anywhere i just stare at the gif of the girl dancing in your sig intensely for a good minute trying to see up her dress. but every time i realize shes wearing stupid booty shorts LOL

dammit :(

RichBrown

Smash Master
It's ok, I will find a way around Diddy. Every Diddy I've ever played up until Gnes I've considered relatively easy (even ADHD, though he doesn't know the MU at all). So I just have to put some effort into my camping. I'll be ready for you next time Gnes ;)

Idk, I think so cal is the only region that puts absolutely no merit in friendlies. We try in friendlies, but it's just a different vibe. So saying that you both were definitely trying your hardest is very objective, and even if you were it wasn't tournament. I beat Tyrant and DSF all the time in friendlies, but they win game 3 in tournament, so what's the point? It's nothing special. Just a So Cal thing. All that aside, the Ike advice is definitely noted and that will help me in the future, thanks.

Ugh I literally had that game won, but my **** controller wouldn't Uthrow. I woulda ultimately won the set. I'm not sure if any of you realize the magnitude of the stupidity of the end of that game 1.

You guys are so hard on me lol

Tin Man

Smash Hero
no lol, I just like unpopular characters

Ignore Tin Man. He supports stagnation of Olimar's metagame, which is the same as supporting communism.
LMMFAO

why would you pick any secondary but mk
MK is the worst 2ndary. once u 2nd him, he becomes ur main =_=

Olimar is such a simple character, though he feels so meh outside of spamming stuff lol. All this Pikmin order stuff is ridiculous, but he's still a very easy character to play. His ATs are so easy compared to ROB lol. The only thing I'm not consistent with is boost pivot grabbing yet.
I don't think that is exactly tru. None the less, both characters don't exactly challenge ur tech skill. I have a hard time with tech skill so things like gyro/whistlebouncing are hard for me, but thats about it. A lot of it is input failure (going for a pivot grab or Fsmash out of sheild but rolling instead, thinking I'm gonna do a Uair, but I Fair instead, etc)

Also, I like never boost pivot grab, and I'm 100% fine without it.

So, does anyone know the Ike MU lmao

San is from another planet. I was getting hit by a lot of stupid stuff though. He was winning those 50/50 exchanges. I was getting hit by dash attack too >.< I'll admit, going into the match I didn't even know what all of Ike's moves looked like haha.

Also, I love posting because it reminds me of how purple my name is :p

16th in singles, 5th in doubles at MLG, yay =^.^=

Oh and two of the keys to Olimar is reversing his whistle and stutter stepping fsmashes. Giving myself that extra inch bailed me out of so many situations.
I should try shutter stepping the Fsmash, and see where it takes me.
Very good **** at MLG also. That's how u rep Olimar :)
and congrats on being the 1st Olimar SBR member.

I feel like if I sat with San and played him for maybe 2 hours straight I'd start to beat him consistently. I just had no idea what to do. I shoulda CPed frigate, I woulda gotten a bunch of purples and I woulda ***** him off the right side.

I was beating up Ike in training mode and figured out all sorts of gay **** I could do to Ike tho... ;o

I think I've finally climbed over another hump and I'm about to start improving by drastic measures :D
care to share what u found out?

It's ok, I will find a way around Diddy. Every Diddy I've ever played up until Gnes I've considered relatively easy (even ADHD, though he doesn't know the MU at all). So I just have to put some effort into my camping. I'll be ready for you next time Gnes ;)

Idk, I think so cal is the only region that puts absolutely no merit in friendlies. We try in friendlies, but it's just a different vibe. So saying that you both were definitely trying your hardest is very objective, and even if you were it wasn't tournament. I beat Tyrant and DSF all the time in friendlies, but they win game 3 in tournament, so what's the point? It's nothing special. Just a So Cal thing. All that aside, the Ike advice is definitely noted and that will help me in the future, thanks.

Ugh I literally had that game won, but my **** controller wouldn't Uthrow. I woulda ultimately won the set. I'm not sure if any of you realize the magnitude of the stupidity of the end of that game 1.

You guys are so hard on me lol
so when u friendly me, it isn't a true effort? :(

Geddan

Smash Ace
Rich is actually the 2nd BBR olimar member, the first being hilt who has to keep his red moderator color. i'm glad we have very good representation in there.

also, that .gif of hyunah..... (the girl in gness' sig)

O_O

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I think it's funny because in Tin Man's BBR application (it's completely public) he mentions that there aren't any Olimars in the back room and I was like "...:laugh:"

RichBrown

Smash Master
Tin Man: It's really hard for me to give it my best each and every match. I definitely try, I don't purposefully sandbag or anything stupid like that, but my friendly best simply isn't my tournament best. And sometimes I go into a match with a specific goal, like trying to land a 0% grab combo, so I'll go out of my way to grab someone so I can practice that combo. Olimar is way too stressful for me to go all out every match, so lately I've just been using MK in friendlies lol.

As for Ike, it's risky but we can upB the ledge while they are recovering and they fall through. I think we can also Dthrow-Dair (I've been exploring this a LOT lately) at 0%. If I play Ike more I'll figure out stuff to do.

And yeah Hilt was in long before me lol... though I guess technically I'm the first with a purple name :p

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I do the same thing, Rich lol. And everyone gets onto me about it calling it sandbagging. It just takes the seriousness of a tournament match (or money matches sometimes) to make someone go 100%.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I think it's funny because in Tin Man's BBR application (it's completely public) he mentions that there aren't any Olimars in the back room and I was like "...:laugh:"
That's probably why I won't be getting in this time around. Oh well. I've been hosting tourneys now, so I'll have a better application next time. Just have to wait until October... >_>,

I do the same thing, Rich lol. And everyone gets onto me about it calling it sandbagging. It just takes the seriousness of a tournament match (or money matches sometimes) to make someone go 100%.
My motivation to go 100% in friendlies is because I wanna see how I match with other players when I play my best. I wanna learn something new, and see where I can improve. i don't make silly goals lol, I play to improve my matchups, etc. Against worse players, i wanna see how hard I can **** them lol. A big thing about friendlies for me is seeing how i stack up against others around the world (or at least i guess Canada and US lol).

Friendlies are a very important part of my practice. I wouldn't be where I am without them. some ppl play on AiB ladder, and I do that too, but I more than often find myself grabbing my opponents contact info and saying "let's friendly sometime, i need experience in this matchup". And when i gain matchup experience, i work on my strategy, and I don't waste my time testing **** like grab combos, priority, etc. I use computers for that.

When ppl respond to me with stuff like "I don't feel like trying in friendlies" I just think that's lame, and I really don't understand that simply because i can't relate to it. I guess it makes sense that some ppl need tourney pressure to play 100% but what is it exactly about the tourney? Is it money, or is it rank (placing high enough regardless of profit to show off ur skills, prove a point, etc) iunno really, but when I play friendlies, I go 100% (unless I'm tired or not having fun lol), and friendlies are serious business to me.

I'm almost 100% consistent with boost pivot grabbing now

Olimars jab is crazy good
*cough*usefalcoorsomeoneelseinstead*cough*

(i just like being unique is all)

Top Bottom