• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] SummerSmash 2012 - February 18th - Over $1,500 in cash and prizes to be won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
MTG is hitting this up? dayumn, impressive. want to hang out. i can't make it to this one but i'll def hit up the successor

Gords

Smash Champion
i put in for annual leave for the 17th -19th feb, if it approved i pretty much confirmed to attend this.
Antho, is it cool to stay with you again.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
can sa contingent bring my white controller to this and give to a vic
thanks

Gords

Smash Champion
annual leave denied, dont know whether ill be coming now till like a week before it happens.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Ok guys, we have an announcement:

Due to the main event organiser not being available for Lansmash on the 18th and 19th, he moved Lansmash forward a week without telling us. So Vyse and I have been organising a new venue to allow all those peopl travelling in to still attend our tournament.

This place will be near food, unlike lansmash, and the hall will be to ourselves, so we can Smash without interruption. It is also close to public transport, and near the old venue at QSAC, so no major changes should be required for hotel stayers. The venue fee will be similar to the lansmash venue fee, and all event entry fees will remain the same of course.

This is the new venue to which Vyse is inspecting tomorrow morning and will confirm with me whether its a definite go ahead: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/parks-and-venues/community-halls/sunnybank-hall/index.htm

Can I also get as many people from the Queensland scene who can offer housing, to notify us in this thread, as I know you some people are still looking for housing. I know a heap of us can offer some space for the weekend, even for just one person.

We will be needing as much equipment as possible for this venue too, so please confirm what you can bring along on the day. Only just over a month away now, so organisation is key. The OP is being updated now too with all this info.

I will let everyone know of Gametraders involvement as soon as I can talk to there management about what they can offer, given the venue change, and obvious loss of major advertising to other games etc.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ok guys, we have an announcement:

Due to the main event organiser not being available for Lansmash on the 18th and 19th, he moved Lansmash forward a week without telling us. So Vyse and I have been organising a new venue to allow all those peopl travelling in to still attend our tournament.

This place will be near food, unlike lansmash, and the hall will be to ourselves, so we can Smash without interruption. It is also close to public transport, and near the old venue at QSAC, so no major changes should be required for hotel stayers. The venue fee will be similar to the lansmash venue fee, and all event entry fees will remain the same of course.

This is the new venue to which Vyse is inspecting tomorrow morning and will confirm with me whether its a definite go ahead: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/parks-and-venues/community-halls/sunnybank-hall/index.htm

Can I also get as many people from the Queensland scene who can offer housing, to notify us in this thread, as I know you some people are still looking for housing. I know a heap of us can offer some space for the weekend, even for just one person.

We will be needing as much equipment as possible for this venue too, so please confirm what you can bring along on the day. Only just over a month away now, so organisation is key. The OP is being updated now too with all this info.

I will let everyone know of Gametraders involvement as soon as I can talk to there management about what they can offer, given the venue change, and obvious loss of major advertising to other games etc.
I'd argue that the new Venue suits us more than the old one, and the walking distance from the same public transport routes is the same as well.

You get off at Altandi Station either by the same Busses you would take or the train, go over the bridge to cross the railway and turn left into Lister Street. You then walk about 500m to the venue. The venue is smaller, but, it's ours and it's close to food, unlike QSAC which requires somebody to have a car in order to get to food.

LanSmash will also be able to provide me with equipment, so with any luck we should have a Projector setup and all the required infrastructure.

We will also be condensing events to one day, and as many of you will agree, one day's worth of smash is often more than enough, so we can plan something fun for Sunday, or otherwise go for a night out or Pancake Manor or something.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
it's probably possible for me to house 2 people, but i'm a really bad host for lansmash-style events. i live ages away and i like to leave early. so i can host, but mostly as a last resort or for antisocial people.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
so is anything smash happening at lansmash?
I will be there.

I think we're going to (by which I mean, I just had a chat with JB and suggested and he agreed to) try and do cheap/free tournament/s to provide winners a paid entry the week after.

This will provide incentive to players to come that weekend, but keeps the focus on the event next week.

Remastered

Smash Lord
New venue is confirmed.

All events are on the Saturday now too, so make sure you are there on time so we can get through everything.

Should be a good event, and if it all works at this venue (which I'm sure it will) it may be an option for future tournies, including merging Brawl and Melee tournaments again.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Wow, good effort guys regarding the LanSmash juggle (I assume Matt + Vyse); sounds like the LanSmash people really screwed you :( Cheers for still going ahead with the event!!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
New venue is confirmed.

All events are on the Saturday now too, so make sure you are there on time so we can get through everything.

Should be a good event, and if it all works at this venue (which I'm sure it will) it may be an option for future tournies, including merging Brawl and Melee tournaments again.
Yeah it seems like a legit venue. But I don't like how much they're asking for Bond.

Also, do you agree with my idea for the LanSmash weekend? That way, we can keep GameTraders on board.

Wow, good effort guys regarding the LanSmash juggle (I assume Matt + Vyse); sounds like the LanSmash people really screwed you :( Cheers for still going ahead with the event!!
It was a combo of myself, Matt and Kaion.

Also, JB is quite sorry for what happened. He didn't intentionally not tell us, as the decision was made months ago and he had changed the dates, however, until recently he hadn't noticed that the date was still the same in a few important places. Including, evidently, where we had originally checked. However, I myself can say that I hadn't thought to double check the date, so I'm just as much to blame for the oversight.

The other side of the coin is also that he had to move the whole event back a weekend to be able to assist OHN in Sydney which happens the same weekend as this tournament will be. He's taking all of his equipment and himself just to livestream the event.

So, it's not a betrayal, but it's also what happens when you don't lock in dates early and he's definitely not the first to make the mistake. I remember a Unilan date change that had to be changed back because of similar reasons to us (IE, booked flights, plans already made etc).

Now, just because we're not going to at LanSmash for this, doesn't mean that LS won't be supporting our tournament. We will have access to the usual equipment stash and hopefully a projector as well.

So yeah.

Last night I noticed the change. Tonight we have a new venue. Nothing to see.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
"Weekend function hire applies to hire on Friday and Saturday only, between the hours of 12.00pm and 12.00am, for a maximum of eight hours.

Weekend function hire: $415 per function (up to 8 hours per event)"

joizus chroist 4 smash events in 8hrs... and that fee is redonkulous, unless your doing some under the counter servicing for a cheaper proice?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
"Weekend function hire applies to hire on Friday and Saturday only, between the hours of 12.00pm and 12.00am, for a maximum of eight hours.

Weekend function hire: $415 per function (up to 8 hours per event)"

joizus chroist 4 smash events in 8hrs... and that fee is redonkulous, unless your doing some under the counter servicing for a cheaper proice?
I have the venue from 9am til 10pm for $500 roughly. It's the $415 rate + $17 per extra hour.

So @ 30 people, that's about $15 venue fee with a bit of a loss pp (I'll wear it).
Same cost as LS. And we're closer to stuff.

More than I could normally ask for at such short notice.

I'm doing under the counter servicing in my free time.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
You'll probably want alot of helpers on for the day since there will be 4 brackets to get through.

Depends on how many people show up though. IF its 40+ oh gawd xD

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Good job guys, sucks that this happened and we have to fit it all in one day but you guys reacted nice and swiftly.
I was hoping I get more time to do stuff in Brisbane, Sunday will be fun :)

I'll be more than happy to help out in any way to quicken the pace of the tournaments on the day. I think you'll need all the help you guys can get to finish everything in one day.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Since it's close to my house, I can bring quite a number of (large) TVs to the venue. About 4 or 5. Alongside what others bring, it should all work out fine.

Just need to run a tight ship. And with food much closer, Lunch should be quicker. But, we'll definitely need a hard schedule.

So I hear this is a **** 1 day event or something now?

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
I want you in my house. For multiple days. We will travel Brisvegas, Wario spot dodging IRL.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
If Im here at tourney time I can house 1 person.

But they will need to take the train from Brisbane to Nambour.

Then we can take the train down 2 Brisbane on tourney day.

tibs7

Smash Champion
yo j-birds ill be in melee ill play you :)

ill book flights soon. who other OOS people are attending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom