• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M vs Melee

PB&J

Smash Hero
people should just play melee

people complain and think melee is unbalanced where hax almost lost to a ness the other day in tourny

just play melee

stop trying to recreate stuff

play the hand you are dealt

Geist

Smash Master
I was looking through vids of P:M and I have to say I'm looking forward to it considerably more than I was before.
Makes me wish I knew programming so I could pitch in.

Never leaving melee though. It's not like it's hard to play two different games.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
project m is mad fun. I got to play it when dark sonic came and it feels natrual to melee players. I played sheik and was tech chasing snake too good man.

I will totaly pick up project m and play alot as I would melee. But this wont change melee what so ever

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Nobody has out and out said it so I'll be the first to admit that If the project is Successful I'll frame my copy of Melee and hang it on a wall.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Project M has a ton of potential. Upon its initial release, there will be inevitable faults. However, following incremental updates, I believe PM has the ability to become a game superior to Melee. Why do I say this? Because of balancing of course! Hundreds, hopefully thousands, of people will download PM. With all their feedback, PM can become a game where all the characters are equally viable in competitive play. However, some people will inevitably dislike the balancing done to the characters and will revert to the more familiar Melee.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion

people complain and think melee is unbalanced where hax almost lost to a ness the other day in tourny

just play melee

LOL, melee is not that balanced and just because a low tier can **** up a falcon (as like almost every low tier) doesn't mean anything.

and play the hand you are dealt? hahaha this is a video game, give me a break. To not re-create an amazing game better than sakurai did with brawl is not a bad idea, people "recreate" or "continue" things all the time. Why else would there be part 2 and 3 of video games?

i see this like, say, halo 2. They knew people loved the game and needed an upgrade. So, they used the same exactly gameplay flow, with a NEW engine, new weapons, new updates, new graphics etc. And made a new halo. Why is that not a legitimate idea again?

PB&J

Smash Hero
melee still has alot of potential

kage beat mango twice and if he does again..im sure ganon will move up on the tier list even though i think he should stay where he is. thats just how the community is . axe is ****** with pikachu when people said that character suk recently.just as before pound 3 with puff. there are plenty of characters that can win tournies. people just need to play them better and let the video game makers recreate the game

i played project m..it was fun, but it just made me want to play melee more.

its cool though

just throwing my 38 cents in

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think the problem is people look at what they have now instead of what they could have. Lets say you have a choice between these 2 females. One is a very solid 9/10 Personality is good, The kind you can take home to your fam. Then you've got this other girl that is really nice. Has overall more in terms of body and things however its not all there. She doesn't dress-up or do her hair that much or wear alot of make-up but she's a pretty solid 7/10. Naturally the First girl seems like a better choice but over time the 7 starts working out and gets in better shape and next time you see her she's a 8/10. Then a few more months go by and you see her again and she's got made over, new cloths, nice hair....everything the first girl has but with more. She's a perfect 10/10.

My point being
Melee=(9/10) is almost perfect minus a few small issues.
Project M currently = (7 or 7.5/10) Seeing as how its already had some updates in since the trailer.

Project M in a year(Likely a 9 of 10)

Project M once its 100% (10/10)
Why cheat yourself?

Zodiac

Smash Master
it wont work, they wont ever acheive 10/10 and everyone here knows it. they will do good, it will be enjoyable and I will play it, but at most it will be a 7 or 8 /10

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
You can't put a cap on Project M hackers. I know that 10/10 is unlikely but It could at least be a 9/10. Even the lack of 1 or 2 things from melee can be made up with much much more.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it wont work, they wont ever acheive 10/10 and everyone here knows it. they will do good, it will be enjoyable and I will play it, but at most it will be a 7 or 8 /10
Anyone who thinks Melee is a 10/10 game is deluding themselves.

just play melee

thank you genius PB&J.
I'm sure Hax has a ****-ton of match-up experience against Ness players (?), as low tier players definitely don't rely on gimmicks and tricks that don't really work if people expect them more often than not. And I wouldn't know what I'm talking about, because I don't play a low tier character, right?
melee still has alot of potential

kage beat mango twice and if he does again..im sure ganon will move up on the tier list even though i think he should stay where he is. thats just how the community is . axe is ****** with pikachu when people said that character suk recently.just as before pound 3 with puff. there are plenty of characters that can win tournies.
So you're saying the community is dumb? Lol.
Pikachu isn't good. Axe is. Same with Taj & Mewtwo. Puff wasn't good before Pound 3 because her metagame hadn't been developed by Mango & Hungrybox yet. It happens.
Kage didn't win RoM2. Axe didn't win Pound 4, or any other national tourney. Who did? A Falco player and a Puff player. Surpriz.
people just need to play them better and let the video game makers recreate the game
Wh-what? Okay.

I don't even understand.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Honestly I don't want to buy anythings else from Nintendo. I won't be buying anymore Nintendo games/Systems anymore. Honestly when I saw let them recreate I thought of the same thing Strong_Bad did. Nintendo hates competition they are all into "My Grandmother can play too" Bull**** nowadays. I would bet my life that Project M would be better then any kind of recreation Nintendo would put out.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nintendo doesn't put out, they're too busy catering to 8 year old girls to put out.
Gamecube always put out. <3 Gamecube

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
1. Project M will never be finished.

2. There will never be a competative scene for the non-official version of the game.

3. Melee has cool stages, 'nuff said.

4. They'll almost always have textures which 199% of the time look butt-ugly.

So plz no, it won't have an impact in a sense of people quitting melee and playing Project M.

keeper

Smash Champion

just play melee

Melee is incredibly unbalanced, it's ridiculous. Doesn't mean I don't love it though, considering it's been one of my favorite games for 8 years to the date now.

Also, why weren't you at Pound 4?

I do like Brawl for the more characters thing, but it doesn't mean I'd ever take Project M even half as seriously as I take Melee.

Zone

Smash Champion
People don't understand how troublesome it is to hack gamecube games <_<.

In addition to that, you'd be leaving out all of the brawl characters. You'd think more people would be looking forward to melee with more characters, but whatever <_<.
I'd imagine it's very trouble-some. I was just stating my opinion on what I'd prefer.

I'm not saying I dislike the idea of Project:M I thought it was very cool concept. and I'd definitely love to give it a go at some point, I just feel like the balancing thing would be alot easier, if you didn't have to balance a bunch of new characters as well. The more characters you add to a fighting game, especially if they are very diverse, It becomes harder and harder to balance them vs everyone. because one change to a character to make one matchup more even, can make another extremely uneven.

I think only a few tiny simple upgrades to melee's lower tiers and mid tiers would be alot easier.

But I do understand Project:M has good potential :D don't get me wrong.

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
So I guess it's not illegal to modify the game like this? Video game companies are usually *******s when it comes down to this kind of thing. Interesting.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Since nobody has ever gotten a fine for modding a video game, I'd say no.
When you mod video games and distribute hacks, you're not distributing content you didn't make yourself. People need to have the game themselves already to play the modification.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Since nobody has ever gotten a fine for modding a video game, I'd say no.
When you mod video games and distribute hacks, you're not distributing content you didn't make yourself. People need to have the game themselves already to play the modification.
Pretty sure that the DMCA in America says that you can't circumvent any software protection to get at the copyrighted work it protects. This means that if you're using a software exploit or installing a mod chip, you're disabling that protection to allow yourself to run homebrew code, you're running afoul of the DMCA and breaking the law.

No one cares though.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
1. Project M will never be finished.

2. There will never be a competative scene for the non-official version of the game.

3. Melee has cool stages, 'nuff said.

4. They'll almost always have textures which 199% of the time look butt-ugly.

So plz no, it won't have an impact in a sense of people quitting melee and playing Project M.
ogod the stupidity

1. yes it will, why wouldnt it be?

2. why not? B+ has one, PM will prolly be bigger cause it's Melee ffs

3. PM will have all Melee stages, Brawl stages and 64 stages even.

4. hackers have been putting MELEE MODELS into the game already, let alone textures

But I agree that people won't quit Melee to play Project M. That's stupid. I'll play both :)

keeper

Smash Champion
Something no one seems to have discussed is the ability to patch Project Melee, so to speak. Melee, and many other console games, would be great if they could be patched like a lot of computer games are as long as those patches were done with the consultation and feedback of the computer. This seems to be the route Project Melee is generally going, and being able to balance it (to the best of its abilities, leaving in match-up advantages only makes sense really) as the game progresses would be something to behold.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
goofy how? cause it's different than the original nair? and more awesome/viable for use?

so pessimistic in here all the time :x

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
...That'll get polished eventually. We're just trying Kirby with a sex kick.

-Dark Sonic

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My point was that it's still illegal, even if you aren't going to get in trouble for it.
So then your point doesn't matter. Coolio.

It's also technically illegal to host video game tournaments in certain states. I suppose hosting Melee tournaments in those states is immoral and those Tournament Organizers should be busted, right?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
So then your point doesn't matter. Coolio.

It's also technically illegal to host video game tournaments in certain states. I suppose hosting Melee tournaments in those states is immoral and those Tournament Organizers should be busted, right?
I don't see where you are going with this... No I don't think they should be busted, why would I think that? I have Brawl+ installed on my Wii, I don't care if it is illegal.

Someone asked if it is illegal, I said yes but no one cares.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
ogod the stupidity

2. why not? B+ has one, PM will prolly be bigger cause it's Melee ffs

3. PM will have all Melee stages, Brawl stages and 64 stages even.

4. hackers have been putting MELEE MODELS into the game already, let alone textures

But I agree that people won't quit Melee to play Project M. That's stupid. I'll play both :)
Oh, someone took the things I said literal...
P.S. I'm only 14 what the **** do I know anyway

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that was a pretty stupid post by spam_arrows, not gonna lie. LMAO

Top Bottom