• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M vs Melee

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
WindOwl, Magus, Dantarion, TSON, and I did lots of work on dis. iirc shanus helped too?
and of course SHeLL, Count_Kaiser, and Leafgreen386 did a lot of work in porting these attributes over to Project M.
Spam_arrows, everyone calls him TSON

shanus

Smash Hero
WindOwl, Magus, Dantarion, TSON, and I did lots of work on dis. iirc shanus helped too?
and of course SHeLL, Count_Kaiser, and Leafgreen386 did a lot of work in porting these attributes over to Project M.
Spam_arrows, everyone calls him TSON
i helped figure out attributes and a few commands in melee .dat files, but im dwarfed by the effort put forth by the the people listed above

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I'm curious as to how Peach will function...if you need some input I'd love to be able to help

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Project M...

I don't like it. Whether it feels like the true thing or not, the character modelling and all, in the end, Project M is simply a hack that not everyone has access to. Brawl and Melee are easier as they are, with only a select few busting out hacks of sorts.

I like the intention and drive behind Project M, but to me, it feels like nothing more than a middle finger to those that do play Brawl to begin with, when they've got a perfectly good game in Melee to begin with. To me, Project M has the purpose of,

"Let's make Brawl play like Melee in every way possible! Doesn't matter that we've got a hellacious scene for Melee in the first place!"

I'm not trying to flame, but isn't this enough? I'm not sure about anyone else, and I respect all the hard work going into the project, but I'll just stick with my regular Melee, thanks. I'd try it and have fun for sure, but in the end I'd be going back to Melee in no time.

Guess that's my two cents. Project M won't hurt Melee's scene. It's only trying to take another jab at Brawl's competitive scene as far as I'm concerned. But oh well, I can be wrong and just be irritated by the neverending cycle of "Brawl sux lol", but there's no place for that here. Have fun, can't wait to give it a shot, hope Ganon looks and plays like he did in Melee...because he's the ****.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Project M is simply a hack that not everyone has access to.
If you have a Wii, Brawl (Brawl can even be pirated <_<), and an SD card, you have have all the tools necessary to play Project M. Aside from actual Project M, of course.

I like the intention and drive behind Project M, but to me, it feels like nothing more than a middle finger to those that do play Brawl to begin with
It isn't a middle finger to anyone. We didn't start Project M out of spite or hatred for anyone or anything, only a passion to recreate the deep, competitive gameplay feel of Melee with more characters & stages in Brawl.

"Let's make Brawl play like Melee in every way possible! Doesn't matter that we've got a hellacious scene for Melee in the first place!"
We aren't downplaying the Melee scene at all. In fact, most of us still play Melee extensively when we aren't working away in PSA or playtesting Project M. It does matter that we have a great scene for Melee. It's a testament to the fact that Melee has enriched, deep gameplay, and it's the aspects of Melee that have kept the community so alive even after Brawl's release that we want to recreate in Project M.
I'm not trying to flame, but isn't this enough? I'm not sure about anyone else, and I respect all the hard work going into the project, but I'll just stick with my regular Melee, thanks. I'd try it and have fun for sure, but in the end I'd be going back to Melee in no time.
You're free to do whatever you like, and have whatever opinion you want. I thought basically the same thing before I joined the BR.
Guess that's my two cents. Project M won't hurt Melee's scene. It's only trying to take another jab at Brawl's competitive scene as far as I'm concerned. But oh well, I can be wrong and just be irritated by the neverending cycle of "Brawl sux lol", but there's no place for that here. Have fun, can't wait to give it a shot, hope Ganon looks and plays like he did in Melee...because he's the ****.
Ganon is quite a beast. He feels great in Project M, btw. :)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
And it's responses like that, that just show that I'm just irritated like I said. Harmless words outta me. Hope I didn't offend anyone with my little rambling perspective. Guys are awesome.

Won't lie, for playing Melee, I am looking forward to taking a crack at Project M. Wouldn't mind pitching it to the Melee comm in Alberta as side event material for their events. ...hahah, wouldja look at that! Brawl at a Melee tourney, disguised as Project M.

Again, respect for what you guys are doing, and wish you guys the best.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I don't like it tho i like it better than brawl.
If they would re release melee with characters from brawl i actually might be interested in making the switch only because i am getting tired of playing the same characters. Fox falco marth sheik peach ganon more characters might make the game more fun but it still seems dumb the characters still look way to close in ranking but again if they would put the brawl characters in melee i would surely consider playing that.
Also is the fall speed and jump speed the same as brawl?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
As of now, nearly all of our physics are ported directly from Melee.

All of the important ones, anyways.

That includes traction, runspeed, ledgehop height and distance, jump heights, shield size, aerial stopping mobility, aerial mobility, and lots more.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Very nice.

To be quite honest....this doesn't affect the Melee scene other than wondering why Brawl Mechanics are so different. It might enlighten people as to how Melee played and interest them in Melee.

I do like this, however. It gives me more motivation to get another Wii...by whatever means necessary. It looks like a lot of fun, and it's a great project. Keep up the good work.

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Someone should make a vid showcasing the ACTUAL differences between Brawl and Melee... but I don't mean featuring footage from Melee itself, but rather from Project M. I STILL get people saying they don't see ANY differences between the two games, and such ignorance pisses me off to no end... You call yourself a Smash fan, yet you cannot catch such physic changes between these two titles?
Watching Project M in action pretty much debunks whatever "closeness" the two games have or had. At least, to me, it does.

...In any case,
while I'm still not a supporter of the project (just let Brawl ****ing DIE already), I do believe it will introduce people more to the Melee scene, those who weren't familiar with it before... Will it convert them? Maybe one or two. Only problem I see is... why bother playing Melee, when you have the closest Melee likeness in Brawl, WITH added characters and stages? Yeahhh... Only problem I foresee.

I just wish the guys behind this would spend more time helping us hack Melee, versus promoting more Brawl stuff... Seriously. They've got enough guys there. We're making some nice breakthroughs. Throw us a bone, guys. D:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Project M Physics Demonstration

Originally I was going to run a Wavebird to both my Wii (Project M) and Gamecube (Melee) and do a splitscreen view of the same actions, but wd length hasn't been perfected yet, and well my Wii refuses to load codes at the moment. So this'll have to do. Enjoy my random mess-ups because of direct-to-Dazzle playing 8D

Steelia: We're pretty much working toward PSA for Melee.... LOL I think we're giving Melee enough attention :p

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
...In any case,
while I'm still not a supporter of the project (just let Brawl ****ing DIE already), I do believe it will introduce people more to the Melee scene, those who weren't familiar with it before... Will it convert them? Maybe one or two. Only problem I see is... why bother playing Melee, when you have the closest Melee likeness in Brawl, WITH added characters and stages? Yeahhh... Only problem I foresee.
I dont think this will be a problem

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

Originally I was going to run a Wavebird to both my Wii (Project M) and Gamecube (Melee) and do a splitscreen view of the same actions, but wd length hasn't been perfected yet, and well my Wii refuses to load codes at the moment. So this'll have to do. Enjoy my random mess-ups because of direct-to-Dazzle playing 8D

Steelia: We're pretty much working toward PSA for Melee.... LOL I think we're giving Melee enough attention :p
good idea the vid is ****!!! It actually looks faster. Is fox going to be faster in this or does he just look fast? wth! idk that video just completely mind ***** me. And Marth looks much better now for some reason.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
His running speed is exactly the same as in Melee. Since, you know, it's one of his attributes. Which we ported over from Melee. :/
Marth probably looks better because I have a Melee texture on him. LOL. Additionally, UltiMario remade all of his animations to not suck, so his attacks have the range that Melee Marth's do.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
His running speed is exactly the same as in Melee. Since, you know, it's one of his attributes. Which we ported over from Melee. :/
Marth probably looks better because I have a Melee texture on him. LOL. Additionally, UltiMario remade all of his animations to not suck, so his attacks have the range that Melee Marth's do.
I saw and it *****. I like the fact that some of the other characters look better as well. I'm still not sure what to think about Ganon though. Maybe its just hard seeing the Brawl texture ganon but something about him just seem so weird. The Melee texture version would probably look more normal but idk....Aside from that everything looks beyond great. I hope you guys get tons of matches up with the new physics because I'll likely have build a trailer much sooner then I thought.:(

Stevo

Smash Champion
Fox recovers from hitstun faster than in melee I noticed.
is this intended? with the increased DI potential it seems like fox should at least have equal recovery time to melee.

Just curious

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
This has probably been answered a thousand times, but does one have to mod their wii or do anything illegal/very difficult to be able to play this? If so then again it will lose a lot of popularity.
You use a stacksmash involving the Stage Builder feature which forces Brawl to read off your SD card and perform the necessary replacements and codes, all without HBC :D. It'll literally be as simple as downloading the package intended for the stacksmash method onto your SD card, booting up Brawl, and going to Stage Builder (without any custom stages present). Everything should be good to go after that. The accessibility of Brawl hacking is amazing.

EDIT: Ah ****, wait. Stacksmash is a method for installing HBC on your Wii albeit in an incredibly simple process. However, there is a method for SD loading without the need of HBC (or at least I'm pretty **** sure).

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You caught me after the edit, but you get the idea that it's very simple.

I do believe online play is possible as long as the other member also has the exact same codeset, stage .pacs, and character .pacs (in fact, there should be some PM videos of online matches). There are also a few exceptions but are related to other issues (sometimes caused by vertex hacks and other things).

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Heck, with some miraculous breakthroughs (clone engine or just adding more characters to the roster, modifying hurtboxes, and fully functional model importing), Brawl could almost reach M.U.G.E.N.-like customizing flexibilities (whether or not that's a good thing depends on how you view M.U.G.E.N. >_>).

Although we won't be seeing any of that very soon given that Dantarion has been assisting instead of creating programs (he's working with PM so it's not a major loss), Kryal (who built BrawlBox) is out for who knows how long, and Phantom Wings (pretty much the main reason Brawl hacking got this big) permanently departed for SMG hacking (get this, he's decompiling the levels and working on a galaxy builder for it; talk about pure awesome).

BEES

Smash Lord

Project M has been very educational. Apparently it wasn't just the gravity and the launch values: it really is easier to DI in Brawl. It has a different DI constant. With everything else from Melee, Fox can DI out of Falco's shine beyond followup range at low percents.

Called it several months ago. It always bothered me in Brawl+. They had to keep the hitstun extra high to compensate.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Doesn't mean we can't eventually get a working DI modifier code to match Melee.

And gamedominator isn't completely right. You can run P:M off the Stacksmash hack. It's actually exactly what BB does.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I like the idea of greater DI for some characters but If Fox can DI like Puff then it kinda ****s things up in the long run:laugh: But yeah I know it should be fixed sometime in the next month or so probably.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DI is universal. Puff can't DI any more or less than Fox can. Can I get a Puff of what you're smoking?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
GOD DAMMIT KINDERGARTEN SOUNDING IT OUT DIDN'T WORK
redonkulous spelling.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
After about 4 years since this thread has been going on, we have seen it be a part of major tournies alongside of melee and brawl. In APEX 2014, it has had over 400 people entered in the tournament, with over 600 in the melee scene. In KTAR 9, it had the most amount of entrants in the tournament event. I would like to say that project M is very successful (and it STILL isn't done yet, it will only get better) and it hasn't hurt the melee scene one bit. Strong bad and others have said it enhances the melee scene as well, and by the looks of things, it has made the melee scene better. Will it die out? Eventually, but it would either take a major screw up in balancing in PMBR's part, or everyone would just get bored of it in favor of smash 4, if it turns out to be better than melee.

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the satanic, fire-type starter Pokemon above me, but I would also like to respond to people that think PM can never compare to melee because Melee is "perfect", often known as the "because melee" mentality here on Smashboards.

Melee IS NOT a perfect game. Many of the characters are considered un-usable in competitive play, which immediately ruins the title of perfect.

And another thing you have to take into account, is the reputation Melee has as a "beautiful accident". I agree with this, because Nintendo did not intend for it to become the diamond fighter I think it is. However, this also means you have to admit, if Nintendo HAD created the game to be what it is today, couldn't it have been better?

Project M not only fills the void created by the release of brawl for me, it does a wonderful job of answering the question above. Yes, it could have been better. I don't consider ProjectM a better game than melee, but I do believe it has the potential to be. A game created by people that love melee for what it's become, in an attempt to finish the job, is an awesome idea to me.

I'll also admit that Project melee doesn't feel finished to me, and that there are several things I just generally like more about melee (mainly a lot of the things kept from brawl). I'm really hoping PM doesn't take the Brawl- route and begin trying to see what crazy things they can get the characters to do (Lucario is as close as that gets, IMO). However, I also feel that in a sense, thanks to Melee's competitive scene, this is primarily what happened with Fox. I'm referring to mechanics that can give the character a significant combat advantage over their opponent with little to no downside (Lucario's On-hit-cancels and Fox's shine).

The more I type, the more I feel people wouldn't want to hear how I feel, so I'll leave it here. Stay classy, and I recommend any strictly melee players to give PM a real chance. Because, melee skills transfer perfectly into PM, but not the other way around.

SAUS

Smash Ace
At first, I didn't like it at all. There were lots of things that bugged me. And when I say "at first", I mean before I played it (I think it was around 2.0 that I watched some matches). It's gotten better over time, but I still didn't like the way it looked.

Anyway, I played it for the first time a few months ago. I like that I can play falco and it feels pretty much the same. I tried Falcon, but he must have a different character size or something. I can't aim my stuff with the precision I have in melee with him - especially his recovery. I decided I would main my brawl main because it was basically playing brawl Ike, but with super speed, L-cancelling, wavedashing, dash-dancing...... etc. After playing it a bunch, the things that I disliked at first are still bothering me (mostly some really strong recoveries, tons and tons of painfully strong projectiles, and low lag on most moves which minimises punishment). However, the main thing was that it was definitely fun to play. Despite the things that I dislike about the game, it felt good to control the characters and to free-style combo like in melee.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the satanic, fire-type starter Pokemon above me, but I would also like to respond to people that think PM can never compare to melee because Melee is "perfect", often known as the "because melee" mentality here on Smashboards.

Melee IS NOT a perfect game. Many of the characters are considered un-usable in competitive play, which immediately ruins the title of perfect.

And another thing you have to take into account, is the reputation Melee has as a "beautiful accident". I agree with this, because Nintendo did not intend for it to become the diamond fighter I think it is. However, this also means you have to admit, if Nintendo HAD created the game to be what it is today, couldn't it have been better?

Project M not only fills the void created by the release of brawl for me, it does a wonderful job of answering the question above. Yes, it could have been better. I don't consider ProjectM a better game than melee, but I do believe it has the potential to be. A game created by people that love melee for what it's become, in an attempt to finish the job, is an awesome idea to me.

I'll also admit that Project melee doesn't feel finished to me, and that there are several things I just generally like more about melee (mainly a lot of the things kept from brawl). I'm really hoping PM doesn't take the Brawl- route and begin trying to see what crazy things they can get the characters to do (Lucario is as close as that gets, IMO). However, I also feel that in a sense, thanks to Melee's competitive scene, this is primarily what happened with Fox. I'm referring to mechanics that can give the character a significant combat advantage over their opponent with little to no downside (Lucario's On-hit-cancels and Fox's shine).

The more I type, the more I feel people wouldn't want to hear how I feel, so I'll leave it here. Stay classy, and I recommend any strictly melee players to give PM a real chance. Because, melee skills transfer perfectly into PM, but not the other way around.
I agree, the game is definitely not finished. I predict a 4 year wait due to having to make 5 more characters, and I feel that some of the characters don't have their full melee playstyle... mainly the 3.0 characters (which if we go by pmbr's history, they usually fix a lot of the issues by the next patch). Amsa still uses lucario because parries don't work like in melee, and Darrel can't play aggressively with samus (I've seen him try it out; he has trouble timing samus's fast-falls) and Hbox is the only person I know who uses olimar. However, at the moment, I currently think that it's better than melee. Sure it isn't complete, and the game isn't fully balanced out, but I think that because all of the characters are more viable than the characters in the F and most of the B rank tier list in melee, it is more fun IMO to me because there is more variety. I can't wait to see what becomes of the game in the next year.

Top Bottom