• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
You need an NTSC disc to play on PAL. In order to play on PAL, someone would have to (MANUALLY) convert the codes to PAL. Note MANUALLY. It's not just a matter of throwing it through some program afaik.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Rickerdy-doo-da-day, there is another way for PAL users to use Project M. Join the IRC in #projectm and ask Falco400 or me(if i am online) on how to set it up.

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
Just downloaded Project M yesterday. Haven't been this excited about a Smash game since first learning about AT's (excluding the disappointment that was Brawl). I've come across a few issues, and I'm wondering if they've been resolved:

1. On FoD, I've had trouble grabbing/sweetspotting the ledge with a few characters (especially falco/fox). It seems to be just this stage, but I've repeatedly firefox'd myself to death trying to grab the left ledge.
2. A sort of minor note, but the com AI doesn't seem to recognize that you guys have changed the game. Sheik tries to side-B the ledge, Mario repeatedly downB's to charge FLUDD, etc.
Oddly enough, a Falco com has done some neat little reflector tricks... have you guys messed with the AI, or is that just some anomaly?
3. I've played some of the unreleased characters in event matches, and I notice that Luigi wouldn't WD. I'm sure that's just a problem on the demo, but I'm curious to know if it's been fixed...
4. Sheik's hitboxes/priority are ********... oh wait, that's nothing new...
5. Fox waveshining seems radically different. My guess is it's because the startup animation for the jump has been altered from melee. Any chance you guys are changing it?

Well, that's it. Let me know if I should post elsewhere for stuff like this.

And now, because I can't resist...

Me want tier list...

Oh, and
P:M LUCAS FTW!!! Or at least high tier... hey... stop laughing, it could happen...

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is beast imo

His arials are all pretty good,
His Nair is too good, it shield stabs and combos really well.
And his smash attacks are devastating when you land them

Revven

FrankerZ
3. Why do you think you're not allowed to access them in multiplayer? Hm............ here's another question, why do you think we limited the roster? Hm......... of course his WD isn't going to work because his .pac was excluded along with the rest of the cast that is NOT on the demo roster.

I'll never understand why people want to play untouched vBrawl characters that won't work properly.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
1. On FoD, I've had trouble grabbing/sweetspotting the ledge with a few characters (especially falco/fox). It seems to be just this stage, but I've repeatedly firefox'd myself to death trying to grab the left ledge.
2. A sort of minor note, but the com AI doesn't seem to recognize that you guys have changed the game. Sheik tries to side-B the ledge, Mario repeatedly downB's to charge FLUDD, etc.
Oddly enough, a Falco com has done some neat little reflector tricks... have you guys messed with the AI, or is that just some anomaly?
3. I've played some of the unreleased characters in event matches, and I notice that Luigi wouldn't WD. I'm sure that's just a problem on the demo, but I'm curious to know if it's been fixed...
5. Fox waveshining seems radically different. My guess is it's because the startup animation for the jump has been altered from melee. Any chance you guys are changing it?
1. No idea what's causing that.
2. No, but the AI does recognize IASA timings, allowing it to make use of Fox/Falco's shines and similar changes.
3. We only included demo characters PAC files in your download, so any other characters you play by some means are regular brawl characters. It's unsurprising that there are some issues with them.
4. Lol
5. The jump timings are exactly the same. However, partially pressing the shield button will register as a full button input (this was done mostly to make L-cancel timings more similar afaik. Can't really help one without screwing up the other).

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Just downloaded Project M yesterday. Haven't been this excited about a Smash game since first learning about AT's (excluding the disappointment that was Brawl). I've come across a few issues, and I'm wondering if they've been resolved:

Well, that's it. Let me know if I should post elsewhere for stuff like this.

And now, because I can't resist...

Me want tier list...

Oh, and
P:M LUCAS FTW!!! Or at least high tier... hey... stop laughing, it could happen...
1. we'll look into this
2. AI has not been edited except for Sheik's AI recovery has been replaced with mario's recovery AI so that sheik doesn't try to chain to the ledge as much anymore.
3. That's because the demo only has the 14 demo character files, all other characters are vBrawl files.
4. lol sheik
5. probably due to landing detection and light shield presses

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
3. Why do you think you're not allowed to access them in multiplayer? Hm............ here's another question, why do you think we limited the roster? Hm......... of course his WD isn't going to work because his .pac was excluded along with the rest of the cast that is NOT on the demo roster.

I'll never understand why people want to play untouched vBrawl characters that won't work properly.
Okay, FINE. I'm trying to judge how far along the project is... a little transparent, apparently :urg:

I'm not complaining about Luigi's WD not working, or anything. It just seemed weird that all the other characters (vBrawl characters included) had a working wavedash (DK's is so hilarious...) Forgive me for loving Project:M so much that I wanted more...

Life

Smash Hero
I like how there's more devs in the Sonic GD thread than here (granted, I'm just looking at username color and not specific PM creators).

Anywho, wish I could play this, having issues with my computer's USB stuff tho.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
What do you mean by a simplified wavedash? Like... a wavedash button that automatically jumps & air dodges for you?
No, just something like not necessitating a jump beforehand. You you could get into how that could screw with rolls and spot-dodges, but how many players would really make that mistake?

Obviously keep the current input for wavelands, or for shorter wavedashes. All in all it's not a huge thing, I just feel like it would make it faster, more reliable, and more predictable (for the user). Not that most players really need to think about wavedashing, but again, it's just the simplicity argument.

The game will feel clunky if you suck at l-canceling. I think it feels beyond smooth.
Really? Because Melee feels liquid smooth. Guess that means it's P:M and not me... Not saying there is anything -wrong- with P:M, just that it feels... different.

Alondite, Automatic L-Cancelling is objectively better by a massive amount. I'm sure everyone in this thread realizes that.

The game DOESN'T have automatic L-Cancelling because they would lose about half of their audience and all of their hard work would be wasted.

End of discussion.
Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. There's really not much you gain from manual l-canceling other than more finger acrobatics, but again, it's about being like Melee, and that's what everyone wants it to be. I was more just talking for my own personal use. I suppose I could just fiddle with the character.pacs and reduce landing lag, but the L-cancel code would still be in there.

I still think you are wrong and brawl is a nice change of pace if you aren't fast enough to L-Cancel. I didn't twist you words because they aren't clear. Everyone who has played the game has probably been to this thread.
People don't play Brawl because they are "too slow" to L-cancel. Brawl is a totally different playing game than Melee. Maybe they just prefer that style of pay? I know quite a few competent Melee players who could WD, L-cancel and the like on reflex and yet still prefer Brawl.

Myself, well I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose. I like Melee's speed and combo-centric game, but I like the less needlessly complex, arbitrarily techy aspects of Brawl too. It's preference.

Life

Smash Hero
Xavier: Well, let's see.

1. My computer's front USB port: plastic portion of it is broken off from an... incident...
it's not as bad as that sounds, just tried to download stuff onto my graphing calculator and the plastic tore out because apparently the USB cable I use for that fits VERY tightly on the port... it was already cracked from general usage IIRC

I could theoretically use this one as I still have the broken piece of plastic but unless I wanna short out my computer in the process (I tried to use it <.<) I have to shut down, insert plastic + SD reader, start again, transfer relevant files, shut down computer AGAIN, and remove SD... kind of a lot of work just to play a Smash hack.

2. Computer's back ports: won't recognize the existence of the USB reader. I know the port works as I used it for my speakers, so IDK what the deal is.

Dual booting Ubuntu (Karmic)/XP. Computer's custom built by not-me so I don't know the hardware offhand.

(come to think of it, I haven't tried back ports on XP yet, but that's hardly less work than method 1--to make it worth my time, I need an excuse to mess around with BrawlBox while I'm there since I can't get THAT to work on Ubuntu...blah blah tangent)

inb4 ~10 posts between yours and mine--actually, no, just two, and one was yours.

tl;dr there's not a ton you can do to help, don't sweat it too much

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Well now that the demo has been out for awhile and people have gotten a chance to play it I think I'll just say something.

I like how, every single thing I said was wrong with you guys' mentality/the way you guys went about changing things, every single thing, people are complaining about now, cuz you guys did it all wrong. But whatever lol, this was doomed to failure the minute y'all changed your gameplan from "Just like melee" to "Kinda like melee". It is too much responsibility for a newbie team to handle.

-stingers

Revven

FrankerZ
I like how there's more devs in the Sonic GD thread than here (granted, I'm just looking at username color and not specific PM creators).
Well when you consider the topic title, the dumb trollogo that was made in that thread, and the fact that they were constantly hating on the game when we said nothing to them at all (somehow people think that making a game like this is calling Brawl garbage when it really isn't) I think it makes sense that there's a good amount of purple reading that thread. Telling them to be not as immature as they are would go a long way, but I know for a fact that they don't think what they said was wrong or anything at all. I won't say who specifically but some of those players in there are just some of the worst people I've ever seen on SWF, personality wise (ignoring how good they may be in Brawl).

It's tasteless bias in there but I'll end it here before I go on a rant about it or go off topic even more. (But you brought it up soooo lol).

Edit: ...stingers wat... lool

shanus

Smash Hero
I would reply to stingers, but I know he wouldn't be able to view in here anyways. Troll is a troll.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Haters gonna hate, but we can at least try to stop the spread of misinformation and ignorance. I do enjoy their namecalling though. It shows their desperation :reverse:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Why is it always the Sonic guys? I'm getting B+ deja vu.
Considering how amazing Project M Sonic is, I'm finding this perplexing.

Just out of curiosity, does Lucas increase the speed/damage/knockback of a projectile he reflects if he reflects with his stick after using Offense Up?

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
The light presses thing is to make the L-canceling more natural. We don't know how to separate light presses from hard presses currently.
If you can't find how to separate light presses from hard presses in the future, you should really make this light press detection optional at least.

I use Z for l-cancelling, so it bothers me a little bit.

Considering how amazing Project M Sonic is, I'm finding this perplexing.
The thing is that they never care how good he is. Any change to Sonic's Brawl game is a negative.

No more ridiculous than some Melee purists, but the mindset still baffles me.

EDIT:

Sonic is odd and hard to make right. That's my theory.

Our main beef (IIRC) is with his recovery, it's not nearly as good in PM. Then again, I'm the one without the hack, so meh.
See, one would never think of Sonic as an "odd" moveset from his games. Brawl gave him that, and adhering to it seems to be of utmost priority.

Well, comparatively, his recovery is actually buffed.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this a glitch that Brawl had before modification, but I thought I'd report it anyways:

Me and a friend were playing on Delfino, and we came to the shine sprite tower. He was in the air, if I recall correctly (could b wrong tho). As the platform came to a rest on the tower, he fell through the center of the stage. As in, the exact center; he was in the area with the spinning sprite.

Like I said, not sure if this is an issue with Brawl or P:M, but there it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom