• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I want to record a lot of NYC top players in PM.
G$ Alu DJN and Hax?
Ill do my best =D

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
IIRC the majority of the pmbr had voted on keeping his blue lasers. They were colored slightly different, however, because cubaiseath and others who have trouble with certain colors couldn't see them as well.

bleyva

Smash Ace
oh wow, i actually just realized that Falco's **** is a slightly darker shade of blue, interesting to see that there was an actual reason for it.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Anthony. We still gotta play. I have reading week next week. We can get some melée and pm down.

TKD

Smash Lord
I just played M with some friends for the first time today. These are the main flaws of the game, in order:
- The camera doesn't zoom appropriately (as has been addressed in the first post)
- Every character falls extremely deep into water
- Momentum carries way powerfully from falling into the water in Jungle Japes after jumping out
- SSE: Jungle and Temple are -WAY- too big

A friend complained about Snake only being able to have 1 grenade out at a time, and about them exploding earlier; but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing. Time will tell, huh?

On another note: Does unblocking still take 7 frames like in SSBB? And there are 2 types of power-blocking right (brawl powerblock and perfect -projectile reflecting- powerblock)? Because I keep noticing good things about Brawl mixed into the gameplay (like crawling, pivot specials, controller settings, quick turn-around jump during dash, dash attacking with dash + C-stick down...I even noticed Falco having his DACUS).

This'll make an awesome game when the main flaws are fixed, considering that it seems it will include techniques from both games! It's also less technically demanding, at least for the moment...which is great; I see no need in a game as technically hefty as SSBM if its mechanics aren't even the same (yet, if ever).

I like what I've seen.
Here's to the future!

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Not every stage needs to be a Battlefield clone, TKD. Jungle and Temple are fine. I definitely agree with Jungle Japes though, you die if you fall into the water on the left-hand side of the stage, pretty much.

leelue

Smash Lord
wait, what is a wavebounce?
and while I'm talkin about Lucas, what is a zap jump?

and a couple pages back someone mentioned that Sonics recovery wasn't as good as advertised (or something). I'd like to point out that hitting down B followed by up on the c stick gives you quite a lot of distance.

TKD
if snake could have 2 grenades out, he would be hell to deal with considering their short fuses.
Short fuses function better in general as well, since giving your opponent less time to react is good. Fast pace also = melee, which is the aim here as well.

This game is also pretty demanding (which I enjoy). Try setting up a proper minefield with zelda, for example. Or charge Sonics side spindash, hit with the charge, block, wait for the enemy to fall a little, then grab them before they touch the ground.

Yeah, M is technical and demanding.
And god is it ever exciting.
<3

TKD

Smash Lord
It's just that, look at one of the later SSBM rulesets. They've removed the bigger stages from play already. I'm all for competitive and tournament play, which is why I don't like such stages. Matches become way slow-paced in those. Momentum doesn't result in edgeguarding easily (neither does it in Rainbow Cruise; but that stage NEVER gets as big). It's pretty boring and makes for much slower-paced matches.

This is more of a subjective idea of mine though, which is why I listed the oversizing of those stages as the least important "flaw".

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It's just that, look at one of the later SSBM rulesets. They've removed the bigger stages from play already.
Which stages, specifically?

I'm all for competitive and tournament play, which is why I don't like such stages. Matches become way slow-paced in those. Momentum doesn't result in edgeguarding easily. It's pretty boring and makes for much slower-paced matches.
Lol at banning a stage because matches on it are boring.

Melee scrubs :awesome:

Lolo_knight

Smash Apprentice
loving the demo, w8ing eagerly for the full build.
I'd like to contribute to the forum by answering some questions:

What ever your question is the answer is:
a wizard did it / landing detection

ej. I cant (blah) with (blah) as I did on melee
Landing detection / a wizard did it

See, easy.

Mario Circuit isn't on that list? Enjoy the Waveshines, I guess.

And isn't pound stalling an issue on every stage to some degree? Why is Corneria a special case?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Lol, fail on my part with wave-shining, let me edit that.

Pound stalling is impossible to maintain for any long period of time, but the guns on Corneria give you a very safe camping spot to do it on. If the opponent comes down they are both in a VERY disadvantageous position, and the run the risk of being randomly shot and KO'd by the guns.

It is too powerful a camping spot overall and would lead to players having to always ban it in fear of the opponent picking Puff.

Assuming the "stalling is banned" rule that most smashers seem to dig doesn't do the trick in Project M, wouldn't it be much easier to simply remove the platform collisions on the guns?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Inb4 Corneria's guns in the final version of PM aren't solid.

Edit: Wow this has to be the most impossible thing to get Ninja'd on ever.

Tatsu deserves a medal or something.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I just played M with some friends for the first time today. These are the main flaws of the game, in order:
- The camera doesn't zoom appropriately (as has been addressed in the first post)
- Every character falls extremely deep into water
- Momentum carries way powerfully from falling into the water in Jungle Japes after jumping out
- SSE: Jungle and Temple are -WAY- too big
No gameplay-related issues? That's good to hear :bee:

As for water, we haven't really decided what to do with it yet. We might rework it some more or remove it altogether. It's not a high priority.

As for SSE: Jungle and Temple:M, yeah, they're huge. You don't have to use them. You can make the stagelist however you want. For Pound V, I have them as doubles-only counterpicks.

On another note: Does unblocking still take 7 frames like in SSBB?
The shield drop time is the same as Melee, which I believe is 15ish frames (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

And there are 2 types of power-blocking right (brawl powerblock and perfect -projectile reflecting- powerblock)?
Correct. The projectile-reflecting powershield uses different collisions and requires different timing. This is the only way we could implement it for now.

Because I keep noticing good things about Brawl mixed into the gameplay (like crawling, pivot specials, controller settings, quick turn-around jump during dash, dash attacking with dash + C-stick down...I even noticed Falco having his DACUS).
Yeah, we left a lot of stuff from vBrawl that we felt added to the game in a good way.

This'll make an awesome game when the main flaws are fixed, considering that it seems it will include techniques from both games! It's also less technically demanding, at least for the moment...which is great; I see no need in a game as technically hefty as SSBM if its mechanics aren't even the same (yet, if ever).

I like what I've seen.
Here's to the future!
Thanks! We're glad you enjoy it :reverse:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
As for SSE: Jungle and Temple:M, yeah, they're huge. You don't have to use them. You can make the stagelist however you want. For Pound V, I have them as doubles-only counterpicks.
Why don't you have them as CPs in singles? o_O

You realize that every doubles match will eventually turn into a 1v1 or 2v1 anyway, right?

Actually, thinking of Brawl stages, is anything going to be done with that monstrosity of a second stage in Castle Siege?
I'd suggest removing it entirely if possible. I can't think of any way to make it redeemable.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If you want to know my reasoning for making them doubles-only, it's because in doubles the game is less likely to degenerate into "run away for 8 minutes." Even if it gets down to 1 on 1, they'll likely be on their last stocks or close to it, so stalling won't be as big of a factor. If it turns out that matches frequently time out on those stages, then I'll ban them in the future. I just wanted to give them a fair shake first.

Also let me add that SSE: Jungle and Temple:M complement Wario Ware and Metal Cavern (which I have as singles-only counterpicks) really nicely. SSE:J/T:M and WW/MC respectively have similar designs, only SSE:J and T:M are much larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom