• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay, my mistake then.

EDIT: But anyway, are there plans to adjust that at some point in time? Not right now obviously, you have more important things to do. Just wondering if it'd be a little finishing touch or something.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Just a question: About how far do you think you guys are from completing Project M?(AKA Super Smash Bros. Melee 2)?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Well yeah, but is there any chance of having it lowered at all so the Pokemon don't wear out within a minute, and then you get beaten around for a few minutes trying to find a chance to switch out?

Either Pokemon Switch needs to be buffed, or the Stamina needs to have less of an effect.
it'll be like in B+, there is a no stamina code.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
kinda begs the question of why play a wild pokemon in the first place. switching only takes putting the opponent offstage (edit: or making them waste their time in any way) for a second, after all.

besides awesome intros (charizard's is hella cool), what's the incentive? handicapping yourself?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I think this match best exemplifies Project M as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6CYV_kTr60

You first see Melee vs. Brawl visually in the costumes. Then you look deeper and see that the entire gameplay is a combination of different Melee and Brawl aspects.

Then there's the fact that after a very close battle, Melee manages to win, symbolizing that despite the mix of characteristics and changes, the game still has a primary focus on Melee above all else.

I R MarF

Smash Ace

You first see Melee vs. Brawl visually in the costumes. Then you look deeper and see that the entire gameplay is a combination of different Melee and Brawl aspects.

Then there's the fact that after a very close battle, Melee manages to win, symbolizing that despite the mix of characteristics and changes, the game still has a primary focus on Melee above all else.
Out of curiousity... are the hurtboxes on the characters going to be ported from melee to brawl for P:M? Or at least resize the character so they match melee hurtboxes? Because the melee falco is noticeably larger in character size than the brawl one... and smaller hurtboxes is essentially a buff.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
because some people don't want to have to learn 3 characters to effectively play as one?
"oh no, i died! autoswitch! well, i have invincibility, i'll just manage with this character for a few seconds and switch back."

you know, this isn't that hard to do.

hell, you get the choice to play all three or one or two. you've got your secondary or third right there in the palm of your hand. got a problem killing with squirtle? switch to ivysaur, or better yet charizard. opponent plays a heavy aggro game? you could switch to ivy to outspace and slow the tempo, or go squirtle and play their speed game.

oh wait, you chose a wild pokemon? hey, at least you don't autoswitch on death. so ****ing what.

Rudra

Smash Ace
So...you dont have to worry about matchups where 2/3 of your Pokemon are at a greater disadvantage than an independent one.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
"oh no, i died! autoswitch! well, i have invincibility, i'll just manage with this character for a few seconds and switch back."

hell, you get the choice to play all three or one or two. you've got your secondary or third right there in the palm of your hand. got a problem killing with squirtle? switch to ivysaur, or better yet charizard. opponent plays a heavy aggro game? you could switch to ivy to outspace and slow the tempo, or go squirtle and play their speed game.

oh wait, you chose a wild pokemon? hey, at least you don't autoswitch on death. so ****ing what.
Why are you even arguing this? People have their reasons for playing a single pokemon and that's that. You almost sound like a disgruntled dad who can't accept that his son wants to take up dancing rather than football. Get over it -_-.

You're trying to argue someone out of their preference...

Sterowent

Smash Ace
you don't have to worry as you're making the effort to switch out to the pokemon with a good matchup.

you know, independents can't remedy that situation midmatch.

i'm arguing that...ahh, forget it. i tried this with zelda/sheik before, but it didn't take.

double edit: perhaps, then, i'm wondering: is the intention of the independent pokies a form of preference for the players, or are they meant to be as viable?

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
what changes have been made to zelda and have there been any recent breakthroughs in the last 2 months or so?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

Yeah, that, except for the part where I (the Melee Falco) suck at tech skill...

I wanna see a techniSoCal Melee Falco vs Bawrl Falco match.

You can argue that all you want, but I'd bet you $100 that when this gets released, the vast majority of people will play indie pokemon and ignore PT.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
hey guys. if you all get a finalized version soon i'd really like to full-scale feature project melee at Pound 5... Even if it isn't 100% finalized maybe a version we can agree on good enough for competitive play so people can practice before *Pound* 5 and their practice won't be moot.

<3 PM and it better be at my tourney!!!!

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Wait, wait.

When did this happen?

Are you fibbing?

No wonder why the others watch this thread like a hawk.
I think someone just said this was about Zelda and not a breakthrough. It would be more obvious if there was a breakthrough on landing detection. (although I don't know what that has to do with Zelda)

Kix

Smash Journeyman
It starts to make more sense once you realize that Zelda IS landing detection.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
See the post above yours.

It IS an alpha after all.

Did you guys adjust the shield gain and loss ratios to match Melee's yet?
Or are you using some values in between?

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
I wanna see a techniSoCal Melee Falco vs Bawrl Falco match
this could be arranged :awesome:

Wait, wait.

When did this happen?

Are you fibbing?

No wonder why the others watch this thread like a hawk.
I think someone just said this was about Zelda and not a breakthrough. It would be more obvious if there was a breakthrough on landing detection. (although I don't know what that has to do with Zelda)
Really???

10 reallys
LOL at these 3 posts

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I wonder if someone like Shanus was to troll us all by posting Landing detection FIXED! in this thread would be enough to break the internet.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
it'll be like in B+, there is a no stamina code.
This is silly.

because some people don't want to have to learn 3 characters to effectively play as one?
Can we please make a version of Fox where shine automatically jump-cancels itself so I don't have to bother doing it?

Pokemon Trainer is SUPPOSED to be a mix of 3 characters guys. This is obvious considering that they are together on the character select screen, the winners screen, switch automatically after death and have a stamina system to encourage manual switching.

Changing that fundamental part of their gameplay would be like if Wario's gameplay was completely changed from his Brawl counter-part for no reason...

>_>

<_<

:awesome:

Oracle

Smash Master
We're supposed to play with items on whatever stage we feel like.

Wavedashing was supposed to be used to catch items and land.

-_-

It's a huge boon that makes each character more viable than all 3 because you don't have to switch between matchups at an arbitrary point in time. Ivy is favored against fox, but squirtle and charizard aren't? Because of the necessary switching Ivy may as well lose to fox.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yup. Not to mention no good opponents will EVER give you enough time to switch.
You just get upsmashed or grabbed.

Or Fsmashed, like all the Wi-Fi fools silly enough to switch in front of my Snake.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
edit: alright, i had this chunk of perplexity, right? i tried to keep my line of thought down, but it felt a bit forced.

anyhow, the thing i'm trying to clarify is: who is being designed around? the wild pokemon, or the pokemon trainer?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
wild pokemon should do less damage
because pokemon you train yourself with love and kindness have more EVs so they're stronger
it's just common sense.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Don't forget wild Pokemon haven't been bred extensively for perfect IVs, making them that much weaker.

Not to mention indy Charizard shouldn't be able to Rock Smash or Fly. Wild Charizards don't learn either of those moves naturally. Not to mention he shouldn't be able to earthquake but lol who uses dsmash anyway? :awesome:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
these are all valid points. pokemon trainer in the background should have a gameshark in his hand. and wild pokemons moves should be things like growl, scratch, leer, etc. things that make sense.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
We're supposed to play with items on whatever stage we feel like.
Actually, no. That was optional.

Wavedashing was supposed to be used to catch items and land.
Since... when?
I think you are confusing the origin of wave-dashing (people trying to catch items close to the ground and accidentally wave-dashing) with the purpose of wave-dashing (a result of momentum transfer and landfallspeciallag).

why is this silly? do you not want to have PT be viable. having no stam is pretty much like haveing zelda/shiek, which is the right thing to do.
It's a huge boon that makes each character more viable than all 3 because you don't have to switch between matchups at an arbitrary point in time. Ivy is favored against fox, but squirtle and charizard aren't? Because of the necessary switching Ivy may as well lose to fox.
Which is why I was suggesting that switching becomes buffed (no forced switch after death, extra invincibility on down-b, etc...)

With the Ivy vs. Fox example: That only works if we were talking about Ivy being a seperate character. If you decide to use Pokemon Trainer against Fox, then you have to deal with the Stamina mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom