• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There would be no point in making Pichu a bad character lol. Project M intends to make every character viable, and if Pichu is possible to include, he will be viable as well.

Dantarion said:
I am going to base Pichu's playstyle on a mix between melee and the way I think stingers would fight based on his posts.
I lol'd so hard.

Ecks

Smash Lord
a while back dantarion said something about adding new color slots, what happened to that? (or am I imagining the whole thing? :D)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
New colour slots would be kinda cool.

Switching Wario's old style slots with his biker style slots would be even better.

shanus

Smash Hero
So i'd like to double post something brought to my attention (I appreciate the tips):

A specific user (who is now banned from swf) reached out to a lot of members in this thread spamming out leaks to them in a private message. I would like to inform people that the build they sent out is *extremely* outdated and even the december build (which was not sent out) is very outdated as well. I ask you to please refrain from even trying out that build as our demo will be publicly available end of the month or within the first week of Feb.

Thanks.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Speaking of landing detection...

The other day I downloaded an Ingo (the farmhand from OoT) vertex hack for Luigi, and somehow the hack made Luigi's landing detection change in several ways. Like, after a jump, Luigi would go through the floor nearly down to his hips before he truly landed. The detection was also off for air dodges; sometimes Luigi would go well inside the stage before he landed. Hell, during the initial jumping animation, Luigi would even sink into the stage! After an aerial, however, he would still land when his feet touched the floor.

It's probably something stupid and nothing will likely come out of it, but who knows, it might be worth checking out.

This is the hack in question:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5gjx95363xmxynr
Nobody readed it??? maybe its important

Winnar

Smash Lord
As much as I can't wait to play this, I wouldn't play a leaked copy even if I had one.

I only want the product that PMBR believes is up to their standards. Worth the wait!

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
@GPDP, that is probably because the texture has renamed bones and causes animations to display differently, thus causing Luigi to appear to be in the floor.

shanus

Smash Hero
melee camera is a combination of a better camera code we have in combination of the new stage cameras we additionally made for certain stages.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
as good as the camera was in Melee it was also horrible at some points. Like when it super zoomed in on both characters and then you couldn't see if you were going to land on the stage or not...god I hated that.

iLink

Smash Champion
Actually that happened way more often in brawl then in melee. Brawl's is generally more zoomed in.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I feel like a lot of the "new" characters like Wario, ZSS, Snake, etc. are destined to be mid tier level (like Doc, Ganon, Samus etc) because they don't have anything overwhelmingly powerful like a lot of amazing melee top tier characters, and also because they tend to be quite one-dimensional (Snake's entire game seems to revolve around explosive kills). They're all good, just not great. Any comment?

Except Ike. Ike is really gay.
i'm pretty sure this is going to be a far outdated post to quote and comment on buuuuuuuut.... :

i agree with this sentiment to an extent. the top tier aren't top tier because they're necessarily fair and balanced; they're top tier because they have some sort of bull **** that wonks them the hell out. (this is true in any game, not just melee.)

i think you need to be careful about toning things down too much while attempting to make "fair" characters, or else something like the above will end up happening.

i'm not trying to say "throw a metaknight into this 'ish and see what happens" nor am i trying to say you guys don't know what you're doing. just voicing an opinion in relation to another similar opinion.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Cory, you are absolutely right.

The team kinda has a "no nerf" pollicy with the Melee top tiers. However, when balancing the Brawl characters and lesser Melee characters, we probably do at least THINK about if we are making anything "broken". I don't really feel like any of te the Melee top tier are broken, but they have good movesets. I think most of the modded characters are well designed as well, although I am not sure if any of them are better than say, Marth or Fox.

As time goes on and more playtesting is doen we will see how good th

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
melee camera is a combination of a better camera code we have in combination of the new stage cameras we additionally made for certain stages.
The fact that you guys figured out how to do something like this is pretty damn nerdy, but amazing at the same time.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Cory, you are absolutely right.

The team kinda has a "no nerf" pollicy with the Melee top tiers. However, when balancing the Brawl characters and lesser Melee characters, we probably do at least THINK about if we are making anything "broken". I don't really feel like any of te the Melee top tier are broken, but they have good movesets. I think most of the modded characters are well designed as well, although I am not sure if any of them are better than say, Marth or Fox.

As time goes on and more playtesting is doen we will see how good th
Thanks so much for this post, I was worried you guys hadn't considered this.

Ike is perfect, by the way: he's just broken enough to be super gay.

The rest of the "new" characters feel "good," but in a somewhat generic way (like, they have strong attacks, a projectile, and good frame data, but nothing "stupid"). This is why I suggested giving ZSS a slow-moving stunning blaster, because it's really gay in a melee sort of way. Ike's side-b giving him sliding grabs and stuff is really really strong. Etc.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i wasn't implying that any melee characters were broken (not sure if i came across that way...) but they all have that little something that more than makes up for any weaknesses they may have: i.e. fox gets comboed practically to death by the entire cast, but that's only if they can get a hit on him, which is not easy considering how fast he is, combined with shine. add to that the fact that his usmash kills pretty easy and he can combo into it from several setups, and you suddenly have this nuts character whose schtick is basically "low-medium risk :: high reward".

but aiming for each character to be fox good is probably not the best idea. peach good or falcon/dorf good are probably better benchmarks : p

regardless! i feel you guys have a good development crew working on this and do know what y'all are doing, so i'll just wait patiently for a demo while looking for a cheap wii when it comes out!

Ulevo

Smash Master
Fox is allowed to be the best because his learning curve and technical barriers prevent him from exceeding other characters. Actually, it's for this reason that Fox doesn't constantly win tournaments over the other top tiers.

If Shanus or someone else could answer me, that'd be great; the new camera angles that are present within the levels specifically, will that be something someone who is using a modified stage outside the code set could easily implement? New stages come out all the time, and sometimes fantastic ones stumble on our door step (Dracula's Castle) that likely won't be included in the future. I myself would like to be able to experience P:M on these stages for my own personal enjoyment with the camera included, if possible.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
I think it'll definitely be difficult to make characters that are as good as Fox and Falco and Jiggs and Marth without being broken or otherwise stupid in some way, because these are all characters whose strengths far outweigh their weaknesses. Otherwise they wouldn't be top tier. As cory said they are certainly not "fair and balanced". How, then, can you bring characters with serious inherent weaknesses up to such a level without making them horribly lopsided?

That said, it is definitely the correct stance to avoid nerfing the old top tiers, because that would alienate a large portion of this game's intended audience.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
bear in mind, i also said fox is not a good benchmark to aim their character balance for. i think the peach/falcon/ganondorf area is a much better goal to aim for.

i forget who said it earlier, but basically: there will always be a top tier and a bottom tier character. you just want to make the gap between them as small as possible.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zVOW6J_JH0

imo, this is a good fox, i mean, his Usmash is strong, and he can do a several tricks to do combos, like he does in melee, his shine is a move to fear it, and can killl you at low percentajes

His Fsmash, his weight (i think), and his recovery is like brawl. so this give him a fair balance
Naw, I'm pretty sure Fox is a direct port from Melee. He's fully intended to remain top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom