• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Friendlies here seem to mean a lot more, so if I were to experiment and try new things, I'd probably have to endure trashtalk/taunts/whatever, unless I include the disclaimer of me not being completely serious. :\

But I like experimenting/being creative in friendlies. It's when the Toad and fsmash come out. :p
If there's one thing I have learned since I got really good at this game, it is play for yourself. If people trash talk you then whatever MM them lol. If you wanna experiment then do it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah that is how I have been thinking over the past years when it comes to this. A lot of people mention it and I don't like to think "that dosen't work" just cause I have that feeling when I first find out about something. But yeah my feeling right now, if I truley try to find a answer is I should not take a break.

And I guess I would have a hard time with not playing melee often even if it only is for one break cause melee is so much more fun then everything else :p
Of course, everyone has their own experience with what works and not. For you, grinding tons may be better at this point than someone else that has to take breaks to become better. That's something you feel out pretty much, I think.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
If there's one thing I have learned since I got really good at this game, it is play for yourself. If people trash talk you then whatever MM them lol. If you wanna experiment then do it.
I remember S2j saying he prefers to beat the hell out of noobies in friendlis because dropping matches to people you "shouldnt" gets really annoying when they start to say stuff like "we were basically going even", while you were goofing off.

I agree with him. Go HAAM in friendlies cuz dese n****s be trippin

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I need to discipline myself more, to not take friendlies with good people so seriously, myself. I've gotten a lot better about it, but it's sort of hard to, when you do well against a good player. Still, it's stupid to take those at face-value, unless it's a MM or "seriouslies."

Friendlies are more fun when people can just play, screw around, and experiment, rather than needing to be so "omg I have to win this match it's so important omg omg gotta all the time."

Mahone

Smash Champion
I remember S2j saying he prefers to beat the hell out of noobies in friendlis because dropping matches to people you "shouldnt" gets really annoying when they start to say stuff like "we were basically going even", while you were goofing off.

who cares if they say u were going even?

if they place 33rd and you place 1st, no one will care about any of that... especially when you beat them in bracket

in my experience the people who try the hardest in friendlies improve the slowest... but everyone is different, so whatever works for u...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

I was going to respond to this with what I do but then nah

basically let em talk idc but if it gets bad then do somethin

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You can always do all 3.. Have fun, beat the **** out of your opponent and experiment... why couldn't you? That's what I do all the time lol.. it's impossible to get frustrated. If I lost to someone lesser skilled than me, of course it happens, but then next game I can just beat them again.

PP, KNEEEE!!

unknown522

Some guy

lol that reminds me of when I went to a feat yesterday, then someone said how he was getting better later in the day cuz he was managing to take a stock off me (granted that every time it happened was because I SD'd [usually goofing off. ] they were legit SDs cuz the game read them as so and he didn't get the kill for them).

:phone:

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
IMO just play to try stuff out. Usually you can tell when someone is feelin themselves, and then you can switch to ”ima **** the **** outta you” mode.

Either that, or dont play with people you think might be lame about it>_>

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
damn straight you are kevin. you know why? cause you haven't felt the pain of getting dominated by the GOTDAMN TRIFORCE in a little while.

EVERY. DAY.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I really like dair/nair -> grab as a mixup instead of shine sometimes, especially when there are platforms. It feels like its really hard to beat as long as its not used all that much.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I would MM you sometime! I'd do it for Max Berger! My body is ready... :p
Love Max berger lol. If you'll be at FC we could always MM then haha.

I really like dair/nair -> grab as a mixup instead of shine sometimes, especially when there are platforms. It feels like its really hard to beat as long as its not used all that much.
You know when spacies do that obnoxious leanback animation after getting Dair'd that is sometimes hard to shine them out of? I grab/dash JC grab them out of them occasionally(I used to do it a ton a while back). It's kinda cool because it trips people up on DI sometimes and it ensures some Dair followup which is nice.

Of course you can always slightly delay the shine and get the hit anyway but it's just harder.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
You know when spacies do that obnoxious leanback animation after getting Dair'd that is sometimes hard to shine them out of? I grab/dash JC grab them out of them occasionally(I used to do it a ton a while back). It's kinda cool because it trips people up on DI sometimes and it ensures some Dair followup which is nice.

Of course you can always slightly delay the shine and get the hit anyway but it's just harder.
Oh wow, yea I didn't even think about it for those scenarios. I'm going to try that out next time I play on that situation because I get caught up on that leanback animation every so often and I find it to be really, really frustrating. Plus I don't like delaying the shine or double shining on the staple part of Falco's combos on spacies because it just seems to throw me off. Thanks for the idea PP, I never put it together with that particular situation.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Love Max berger lol. If you'll be at FC we could always MM then haha.

I like to double shine a lot when they are at low %s to cover that rock-back animation. It's also helpful for beating CCs.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't like how much it stales shine but that is a great way of handling it.

I found out I don't naturally SHFFL correctly anymore because my timing changed so that my shine comes out to cover this animation because Twitch ALWAYS CCs my Dairs with like everyone lmao.

Pretty cool way of solving the problem, but kind of sucky for shield pressuring.

I'm weird.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I don't like how much it stales shine but that is a great way of handling it.
Shouldn't staling be the same for doubleshining to cover up the leanback animation as just delaying your shine? I thought staling only happened if the move actually hits, and unless you get a phantom hit on the first shine when using the doubleshine to cover that situation up only one shine in both scenarios should hit right?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I was referring to whenever someone fell on the ground from ASDI down/CC'ing and somehow expecting everyone to know lol, my bad. Yeah double shine is great for covering what we were originally talking about and staling isn't an issue there haha.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What happens if you dair-shine-grab someone who is CCing? Will they just eat the shine and get grabbed? Cause that'd be sick, plus it would double as covering the rock-back (the shine would miss, but your grab would hit).

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Well while on that subject do you actually shine them when they CC/ASDI down your dair and fall to the ground or is there a better option you use? Doesn't that normally send them in that weird no hitstun launcher unless you have a perfectly unstaled shine? It seems to me that it would run the risk of letting them escape from being comboed and pressured with that.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If they get knocked down, then I'm not sure how them CCing is relevant... We are talking about when they don't get knocked over.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
What happens if you dair-shine-grab someone who is CCing? Will they just eat the shine and get grabbed? Cause that'd be sick, plus it would double as covering the rock-back (the shine would miss, but your grab would hit).
Shining someone never allows them to stay in one place. For a FF'er who is CC'ing, they would either rock back or topple onto the ground(or not go into the air very far but that's unlikely and wonky so I'm ignoring it). Basically, if the shine connects, then there is no reason to grab afterward unless they had time to get their shield up somehow.

However, if the shine does not connect, then yeah grabbing afterward is cool and I do that occasionally for that reason. Feels like more work to me though.

Mahone

Smash Champion
he never responds to any post i make in this thread for some reason...

always tryin to get hype and mm... then when i challenge him... silence

I'd be down for teams mms

ALSO... i said that cuz me and twitch beat him in like 100 2v1s and made him rage quit... not that im proud of that since it is a 2v1, but maybe thats why he's avoiding it... bad memories

unknown522

Some guy
They will either get knocked down (very low percents). Otherwise the d-air -> shine will combo (over 10% vs almost every char) and send them up normally. Unless you do a super high d-air then if they CC the shine then if their percent is high enough then they will still get knocked up but with half the knockback

The grab will always miss if you hit the shine

unknown522

Some guy
yeah, it's base knockback is too high.

Other moves off the top of my head that universally knock over from 0% when crouching are:

PK flash full charge
flare blade full charge
shield breaker I think? (could be wrong)
ganon's u-tilt
rest
Ganon's stomp?
Giant punch I think
G&W's 9?

I'm kinda curious now. I'm gonna test some later.

Edit: Also curious to see if bowser's u-air does it. But I doubt it.

Top Bottom