• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Do you remember 2.5 years ago when you and me were on aim and we both decided that the best chars would be the ones with the best punishment game or the best ways to circumvent the best punishment games? We settled on the top 4 being MK diddy ICs and olimar? And now they're in a slightly different order and snake is still in there but we essentially called the top 4 characters in the game from almost 3 ****ing years ago. genius.
yeah I called Olimar being top tier in freaking 2008 when people had him as mid. I always said, just cuz there's no great olimar player yet, I still feel like he statistically could be the best for his attributes and what i know about him as a char. Diddy's the same way and ICs are just death grab and that's self explanatory. And Snake around 5th yeah.

leffen

Smash Champion
yeah I called Olimar being top tier in freaking 2008 when people had him as mid. I always said, just cuz there's no great olimar player yet, I still feel like he statistically could be the best for his attributes and what i know about him as a char. Diddy's the same way and ICs are just death grab and that's self explanatory. And Snake around 5th yeah.
the reason that no one says "m2k called it" is because you say that every ****ing character is broken after you lose to them

Bones0

Smash Legend
I was watching THIS and I was wondering what people think about Mango's use of dair -> grab. Almost every time he does it, I am expecting him to shine (because it's what I would have done), but it seems so much better to grab since any time you hit them at too low of a % to knock them over they will shield in fear of the shine.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
its because hes conditioned them to shield at that point. you shine because you don't do such things.
no, it's situational recognition, not conditioning there. The dair was vs. an aerial, non-tumbling Fox at low %, meaning that he'd land without any lag. When people get hit with that dair, they naturally block because 1. Falco's comboing them and they want to get a shield up if they can at any point and 2. Because people are frequently trying to tech that dair even though it's not going to put them in a tech situation. Again, it's not conditioning, it's simply Mango recognizing that his combo is going to land his opponent without hitstun, which pretty much always leaves them in their shield unless they also recognize it and have the balls to try to throw out an attack vs. a Falco that's spazzing out on them.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Most people do expect Falco to shine after landing from an aerial though, so Mango also had that in his favor. Plus he doesn't grab too much so that is also conditioning in his favor.

I totally agree with your points though but I wanted to add that in.

Armada

Smash Lord
"Oh yeah duh, the most important part is explaining how I meditate. I close my eyes, mentally scan every part of my body for tenseness and try to relax those muscles. Then, I focus on breathing: in through the nose and out through the mouth. Holding the breath a little in between inhale and exhale also seems to feel a little better. Once I'm calm, I can think about whatever I want. If I get nervous, I simply go back to focusing on breathing until I am calm again. Worth a shot if you get nervous anyway haha".

Was going through some of the stuff you have been written PP. Fun to see. We actually have those kind of meditation/mental training in school almost every day. I don't use it that often cause Im so tired but it is a good idea and cool to see people wanna improve their game with stuff outside the game.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
In school? Wtf Sweden.....

I've had to do a ton of outside the game stuff to improve lately *shrug* just takin the challenges as they come lol.

Armada

Smash Lord
Actually I think my school in one of the few ones that use it. Cause they use that (among a lot of other stuff) when they try to give the school good publicity/advertising and I have not seen a single other school do that (guess a few ones excist though).

Btw when is the next time you are going to a big tournament?
Wanna see more world class matches soon.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Most people do expect Falco to shine after landing from an aerial though, so Mango also had that in his favor. Plus he doesn't grab too much so that is also conditioning in his favor.

I totally agree with your points though but I wanted to add that in.
Yea, no doubt he had the expectation of a shine in his favor, I'm just saying that that's not the result of him conditioning his opponent, but rather general expectations of playing vs. Falco.

Damnit, I kinda miss this game...

unknown522

Some guy
A lot of not practicing posts.

I've been practicing every day. Today may be an exception. I'm gonna go play some Basketball in a few hours with some buddies.

:phone:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Actually I think my school in one of the few ones that use it. Cause they use that (among a lot of other stuff) when they try to give the school good publicity/advertising and I have not seen a single other school do that (guess a few ones excist though).

Btw when is the next time you are going to a big tournament?
Wanna see more world class matches soon.
interesting

May 26th I will be in NJ for Zenith and Hbox and maybe M2K will be there along with Hax Jman and others. I also want to go to Impulse in Canada but that isn't confirmed yet.

I never said not playing the game led to getting better... There is just a lot of improvement happening independent of in-game practicing.

But I guess if you guys want to brag about how you don't practice a game that you spend a significant amount of time talking about online...

Just sayin.
<3 mountain tops

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yo not playing actually does make you better though.

i take 1-2 week breaks from brawl every so often, and I'll come back and just be better.

idk how, **** just happens.

maybe its just for brawl tho.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So much improvement happening as a result of not actually playing the game recently...
I don't think it's not playing that makes you better but a new fresh perspective.. because when you don't play for a while, you can maybe think about different things, different situations that may happen to you in game or out. Whatever happens to you in life can definitely influence your play when you get back into it, I think that's what happens with most people. I mean let's say you don't play in 2 weeks, in those 2 weeks you have acquired some life experience consciously or unconsciously (Depends on what you do on a daily basis). So, depending on what you experienced, your mind can think differently.. you may have less or more energy, I can't really tell right now but ya... =P Everything in the world influences us whether we think it does or not, our mind just filters a certain way.

It's definitely important to refine your mind especially for fighting games because that's what you use all the time. If you get stuck on a plateau then you aren't doing something you should be doing to acquire the next level.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yo not playing actually does make you better though.

i take 1-2 week breaks from brawl every so often, and I'll come back and just be better.

idk how, **** just happens.

maybe its just for brawl tho.
Same thig has happened to me for several games, several times. Its much easier to change your habits when you're not running through them every day - I think that's the major impact.

Kages fresh perspective thing is probably relevant too, but at least for me it's the distance from my assumptions and l habits that does the trick.

:phone:

Armada

Smash Lord
Have not take a longer break from melee since 08 or something I guess :p
Maybe I should try.

Or when I think about it I had no Gamecube after Pound V. So I only played one or twice a week for the next 4-5 weeks after pounf (Usually I play every day or close to it). Well have heard many people mention a break can be good sometimes.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't think a break would help you Armada but I guess there's a chance it could.

Breaks mostly break bad habits and allow one to come back and tackle a problem fresh/after one's subconscious has worked on a problem(s) over the course of the break. Armada playing so much has no doubt reinforced his tech skill and combos, so taking a break would probably just hurt those stronger parts of his game than help his neutral position I'd imagine.

Armada

Smash Lord
Yeah that is how I have been thinking over the past years when it comes to this. A lot of people mention it and I don't like to think "that dosen't work" just cause I have that feeling when I first find out about something. But yeah my feeling right now, if I truley try to find a answer is I should not take a break.

And I guess I would have a hard time with not playing melee often even if it only is for one break cause melee is so much more fun then everything else :p

Armada

Smash Lord
I don't mind to play against him. Guess the Falco hate is normal cause it always is like that when someone places higher. I still think when people learn powershield (like Leffen for example) people will realize that the hate actually will turn a bit into love =)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
armada
do you know
that it is literally impossible for Donkey Kong to powershield a laser?

leffen

Smash Champion
People who get that much from taking a break compared to playing aren't spending their time playing correctly

For some reason people hate being creative in friendlies too... >_>

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
it's difficult to balance repetitively doing what you think is the correct thing to the point that it becomes natural and second nature and to experiment with things you want to improve.

For example, my punishment on spacies on platforms got worse recently because i'm focusing on other stuff for improvement at the moment and not taking the friendlies as seriously. So I typically go through phases of experimentation and then more phases of integration so that I don't lose a grasp on how i play the matchup normally...
but usually if i focus to the point that I can play to my full skill level there isn't room for experimentation

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Friendlies here seem to mean a lot more, so if I were to experiment and try new things, I'd probably have to endure trashtalk/taunts/whatever, unless I include the disclaimer of me not being completely serious. :\

But I like experimenting/being creative in friendlies. It's when the Toad and fsmash come out. :p

Top Bottom