• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Hey guys, on this whole scrub debate...

1) Mogwai was like stfu or gtfo

2) Apparently all of you (including rubyiris, sadly since he's quoting it) haven't realized that not picking the best character is NOT necessarily a handicap. There are a lot of reasons why you might not decide to pick the best character in the game, and feel you have a better chance of winning with someone else. Idk if i necessarily agree with Sirlin's book, but having briefly skimmed it he addresses that rather obviously in the opening 30 pages or so...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I just merely said that it could be argued that not picking the best charater was a handicap. Doesn't mean I agreed with the guy who mentioned it.

DJRome

Smash Hero
well, i never agree with sirlin or anyone completely as i have my own ideas about things, but it seems like either:

a) you can only approach the game in one way

or

b) there is no reason to pick the "best" character

let us say you play a certain way and think a certain way. is it easier to choose a character and develop based on ur strengths or to try to learn that one "way", which could turn out not even to be the best.

i know what bluey virus would say but u decide i guess.

D

Deleted member

Anyone who doesn't play the best character in the game is a scrub?

Obviously the best character in a game, has the best chance to win...therefore not picking that character handicaps yourself and if you handicap yourself, you are a scrub.

log!c
You play whatever you logically feel gives you the best chance of winning. I use Zelda in tournament because I think I have a better chance to win with her over any other character. Also, my Zelda rolls bodies like a mortician. If you sincerely feel <character A> gives you the best chance at winning, it is only scrubby if you knowingly pick another character instead.

so oak, i see you're still in here: what would you say is the most important thing on ACTUALLY improving? is it simply learning which options are really safe, and learning when/how to apply those true options during matches?
eliminate weaknesses first. as soon as your lose ratio decreases, you can only improve. make sure that any advances you make do not give you more weaknesses elsewhere.

also do not be afraid to play a weaker character. mastering a weaker character is often a good way for a player to really learn how abuse the better ones. as far as i know, most of the best players started on lower characters. they also went back to those characters after becoming good at the game and it shows.

kdj: pichu
pc chris: ganon
azen: link
ken: roy
neo: roy
chu: kirby

I started on roy as well.

Scar

#HarveyDent
you **** and you know it. that your weakness is such an obvious one and so easily corrected should be your Christmas present. struggling players everywhere envy you on both levels.
ya i know i wasn't being sarcastic, i'm legitimately impressed that you can tell the difference between players with good fundamentals and ******* who just run at their opponent and **** them if they by chance hit them

more than that probably is that this criticism is a welcome change from the moronic "you suck" comments from kids who would get pounded by my garbage excuses for secondary characters

Diakonos

Smash Lord
When most people hear the word "scrub", they aren't thinking "a player who limits himself by the choices s/he makes".

I think that they are thinking along the lines of "player who does not perform well/bad player/noobie".

So Sirlin or anyone can make their (arbitrary) denotation, but it's not going to be understood properly. If I were to go to a restaurant and ask for a "burger", I shouldn't get upset if I don't get fries, even if my definition of the word "burger" is cut and fried potatoes.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Alright so what should i do to conquer the Falco matchup? =P
Beat Falco by making him afraid to laser. If you can counter his movements of approaches well then he has to slow down and rely on his slower ground speed. When he does this, you can abuse your speed or range or whatever advantage on Falco and punish him hard as well.

Learn to accept and not be afraid of how long it takes to shoot a laser and how quickly and realistically you can punish one or counter one at different spacings.

There's more obviously but that's stuff people need to remember outside of the matchup stuff and a couple other things.

Note: As Twitch improves and counters my improvements, I'm gradually having to switch quickly between offense and defense more during matches. It's a very confusing game to play but I'm feeling it out. Hopefully I'll understand more of what's best for me personally soon enough.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i dare you *****. i might get snap to rig the bracket so i can send yo *** to losers bracket from the start.

ik he's 14. he's so much more fun to talk about when he's 12 though.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Man, I wanted to debate the meaning of the word "scrub," but someone brought up Sirlin, so I had to get on my knees and worship the Almighty David Sirlin. I can't type while pretending to pleasure him.

Praise be to the glorious, infallible, all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful, Lord-God David Sirlin.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Im wondering if certain people ITT realize that just because someone thinks Sirlin's definition of what a scrub is, is dumb,...

..is NOT the same thing as thinking Sirlin is dumb.

its entirely possible to appreciate Sirlin's contributions to fighting communities, while also disagreeing with a few of his philosophies here or there.

Just wanted to point that out.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
im not but i wish i was.

chris, i used to live in greensboro, and my best friend at the time was named chris. he wasn't black tho.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
oh really? we should play. ik we didn't get to play at TO6. maybe i can play against intoxicatedfalco too :p
Then I just opt for the ganon ditto =PPPPPPPPPP

Nah sounds fun, definitely didn't play you at TO6, and I need the ganon experience =]

PP, I'm coming for your head... take that as you will.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Maybe we could do better than PP out of shield. Maybe just... P out of shield. Next time I play Falco and anyone touches my shield imma P all over em.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
did he play smash sveet? he wasn't chris knorr was he?

i would enjoy ganon dittos, and i feel like i learn a little something from every random ganon ditto i play. they're probably my least played matchup, along with samus, and i'm hilariously bad at them, especially for a ganon main.

i really am interested on PP's (or anyones really) discussion of laser oos and it's uses though. and i really think the other falco's that are here for the purpose of getting better could benefit from such a discussion.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
We'll play so many dittos you'll be sick and tired of them by the end of it =D

@Cactuar

Without you... this thread just wouldn't be the same

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I think we should rename laser oos to "PPing oos".
lol do I do that a lot or something

Then I just opt for the ganon ditto =PPPPPPPPPP

Nah sounds fun, definitely didn't play you at TO6, and I need the ganon experience =]

PP, I'm coming for your head... take that as you will.
I'll take it how I can get it mmmhmmm

lets talk about "reverse nair shine" pressure!

im really interested :awesome:
are you actually? I don't mind talking about it.

Maybe we could do better than PP out of shield. Maybe just... P out of shield. Next time I play Falco and anyone touches my shield imma P all over em.
LMAO <333

did he play smash sveet? he wasn't chris knorr was he?

i would enjoy ganon dittos, and i feel like i learn a little something from every random ganon ditto i play. they're probably my least played matchup, along with samus, and i'm hilariously bad at them, especially for a ganon main.

i really am interested on PP's (or anyones really) discussion of laser oos and it's uses though. and i really think the other falco's that are here for the purpose of getting better could benefit from such a discussion.
I'll play Ganon dittos with you at G6. Stupidazz matchup....

ALRIGHT, SO ZHU MAY KILL ME FOR THIS BUT I'M GONNA TALK ABOUT THE WAY HE USES LASER OOS

No idea why that was in caps. Anyway, Zhu likes to do a dash, but then quickly cancels it with a shield, then quickly lasers oos. Why? Because it screws with people's timing. They will hold shield for a laser, move if they think someone is shielding, but then get hit by a laser. They then get stuck in their shield again but this time they're more confused. You see, Zhu is playing on their instincts when people fight Falco because they sometimes don't take the time to REALLY OBSERVE HOW HE LASERS, so that works more than it should imo...though it's still a great mixup for sure.

ANYWAY, using that as a base, laser OOS is a funny defensive option that can switch the roles of a match very quickly(from offensive and defensive roles, I mean). I see this used more as a tactic when one has less stage control because you usually can't WD OOS away from the pressure then(not always the case but it's moreso for me....I like WD OOS a lot and it's safe). Laser OOS is great for stuffing some approaches, hitting someone expecting a roll, a nice retreat to regain compsure, and great conditioning for moves like Dair OOS later on. However, it's important to remember that this cannot really be relied on too much because of the fact that everyone wants to hit Falco/bait his stuff while he's shielding because he's not controlling anything then, so you have to be wary about your move choices in defensive situations.

And then you can hit with the laser and shine or something and do hot combos. It's a good way to re-establish pressure/presence on the stage sometimes at the least.

I will never be interested in anything to do with lasers. I should probably leave the Falco boards. Forever.
Post about Falco in teams! We left off there yesterday anyway. =p

Top Bottom