• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
does anyone have any advice for learning how to counter adapt?

I find that I'm very good @ 2 out of 3 play, but have problems with extended match play like 3/5 and 4/7.

@Edit.*

idk about you guys, but uair and fair are my favorite aerials ever.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure I've beaten people in tournament with Falco while using only dair. Nothing else. Dair is so underrated. Despite being tied with lasers, shine, lasers, and utilt for best overall Falco move.

@Umbreon: I don't feel like I've improved in the last two years... When will I fall into that washed-up catagory?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Attn falco board:

If you're all wondering why I act the way I do, there are two explanations. They are either:

A. I'm sick.

or

B. Jetfour/Bacon Isai came over and made me look like a moron, and crushed my fragile pride.

I'm not trying to make excuses for my behavior. I'm just merely explaining how I work. I don't understand it myself, but I've always turned into a total, unreasonable ******* whenever I'm sick, and I've had a bad cold since Wednesday. I'm fine now, which also explains why I haven't made any *******-ish posts. :p

When I start asking for advice, and acting unreasonable about the advice given, it's because Jetfour/Bacon Isai just spend the last hour or so ****** me over and over with ease and it's made me emotional. It makes me feel like all that work I've put into the game was for naught as he works me over and over, and it makes me very emotional. This is where the misunderstanding that I "reject" advice comes from. What REALLY happens is that I act like an unreasonable, immature brat for however long until I sleep it off. The next day I reread everything was posted and apply it to my game.

/rant.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i like dair > grab better vs floaties.

@jpobs:

It's not always the case. It depends on person to person. there are players out there that have significantly more fox experience. It really comes down to a comfort thing.
dair grab? then what?

tru about the opponent having more fox experience. on the other hand, i also have more exp as fox vs floaties than falco vs floaties

Free for fox? Sure the matchup is slightly Fox advantage.. but matchups mean nothing in tournament play. Anything can happen.
lol free for fox.
its just my opinion. I have trouble beating players at my level in floaty matchups as falco, then i switch to fox and beat them handedly. same thing happens with people generally better than me.

idk, i feel like fox has strong advantage vs puff/peach but most people don't agree.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
the throw option depends on various factors. I just really really love grabbing people lol. v3ctorman has rubbed off on me lol.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Attn falco board:

If you're all wondering why I act the way I do, there are two explanations. They are either:

A. I'm sick.

or

B. Jetfour/Bacon Isai came over and made me look like a moron, and crushed my fragile pride.

I'm not trying to make excuses for my behavior. I'm just merely explaining how I work. I don't understand it myself, but I've always turned into a total, unreasonable ******* whenever I'm sick, and I've had a bad cold since Wednesday. I'm fine now, which also explains why I haven't made any *******-ish posts. :p

When I start asking for advice, and acting unreasonable about the advice given, it's because Jetfour/Bacon Isai just spend the last hour or so ****** me over and over with ease and it's made me emotional. It makes me feel like all that work I've put into the game was for naught as he works me over and over, and it makes me very emotional. This is where the misunderstanding that I "reject" advice comes from. What REALLY happens is that I act like an unreasonable, immature brat for however long until I sleep it off. The next day I reread everything was posted and apply it to my game.

/rant.
hey ruby, i just wanted you to know that i didn't read this.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh

my

gosh

I have so muuuch catching up to do looool. Just got back from visiting family in PA, and I'll try to respond to everything I can as far back as I can so we don't miss much.

A few things quickly:

1. Should I make a critique thread? It was suggested before and kind of ignored, but it sure would make my life easier finding and critiquing stuff than going back to it in this thread later when I actually find it. Also it would clear up the clutter from those types of threads on the Falco board. Mogwai/everyone?

2. Cactuar when did you become a mod??? I need to talk to your A. <3

3. Happy holidays Falcos/everyone! =)

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
PP I am offended that my question did not make #4 on your list. no name falcos such as myself take prio over Cactuar.

Even over the internet it's hard to type mean things to you being as I am such a fan boy <3

and YES make a critique thread, if you do, I will buy a dazzle with my first paycheck this week.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
yeah!

i want dr peepee to critique my samus in adventure mode because i think i need a different strategy for boarding the platforms.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Attn falco board:

A. I'm sick.

or

/rant.
sleep it off

then post

don't post angry

>___>

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Oh

my

gosh

I have so muuuch catching up to do looool. Just got back from visiting family in PA, and I'll try to respond to everything I can as far back as I can so we don't miss much.

A few things quickly:

1. Should I make a critique thread? It was suggested before and kind of ignored, but it sure would make my life easier finding and critiquing stuff than going back to it in this thread later when I actually find it. Also it would clear up the clutter from those types of threads on the Falco board. Mogwai/everyone?

2. Cactuar when did you become a mod??? I need to talk to your A. <3

3. Happy holidays Falcos/everyone! =)
Lol Kenny <3

I don't even like Samus so good luck dawg

Still catching up on this thread.
Don't forget to confirm the fact that Sion is actually "good". ^___^

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hmmm, in a way they may have.

A lot of bad emotional stuff is clearing up finally so I get to be happier and smash better and enjoy stuff a lot now, which is all I really wanted for Christmas. =D

I hope stuff worked out for you too Kage. =)

LOL I need to start responding to this thread's smash stuff. XD

Edit: Noobking I did that in another thread already LOL.

Sion's not bad. =)

D

Deleted member

cactuar i want to say you're already relatively washed up, but more likely you're like me and you still beat the people you play pretty easily. this game is weird in that once you "get it" you just kinda get it and thats about it?? I'm confused here too.

@ PP: I live in PA but I'm in naples FL now. I'm told they have snow. not looking forward to going home.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Umbreon: Yeah man snow's everywhere up there lol. Not too terrible because I don't think it snowed today, but it's been steady.

@69%: you **** first of all lol.

also modesto <3

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Dr. PeePee I noticed some your CP choices during RoM3 GFs run counter to your suggestions of CP stages vs. Marth in the OP. Maybe I'm getting things confused, but I'm assuming Mew2king banned PS. You seemed to do really well on DL 64, and I'm curious as to whether your thoughts about it as a viable stage vs Marth and as a good stage for Falco in general have changed since the OP.

Also, my Falco tends to get ***** by Fox. Could you briefly explain how to deal with getting pressured by Fox nairs and shines, and what to do (like how to DI) once I get hit? How to deal with shield pressure? And what to do when a shine throws me offstage? How to space? If you could answer any of these questions, however generally or situationally you can, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks by the way for the extremely useful advice. Learning how to handle specific situations is good for conditioning yourself to make the best decisions at the right times, but as a pretty mediocre player what I find most useful is the mindset to take away from effectively responding to and handling any given situation. From reading in between the lines in some of your advice, it seems players must first learn to study an opponent's move choices, then learn how to most effectively react to those move choices, and finally adapt to changes in the opponent's strategy.

Sorry in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been answered.
First of all, my idea of the Marth matchup has changed DRASTICALLY since I created the OP, so don't go off of that lol.

DL64 ***** for Falco vs Marth. Falco gets breathing room, which is amazing. Marth gets more retreating room from lasers and shield pressure, but overall I'd definitely say Falco's benefits outweigh Marth's.

Uhh, if your shield gets nair shined, then try rolling at different times, shield DI'ing, or shining OOS after the Nair(gotta have strict timing on this though, and it may depend on when the Nair is used). I also have a few other tactics I need to test on that one, so I'll get back to you on it later.

If you get shined offstage you're done more often than not, but you kinda have to react quickly to Fox. If he stays on stage then you have time to shine stall or jump anywhere you want or whatever, but if he grabs the edge or jumps out after you then try to avoid reactionary DJs because that's the quick way to get shine spiked or Bair'd.

At your last paragraph, you always come in with a general idea of what to do vs a particular player/matchup though, so you're never starting from scratch. That's all pretty true though. =)

I can answer a few of these for PP.

DL64 is Marth's worst neutral and Falco's best. Marth cannot fsmash underneath platforms, and his utilt/uair cover far less of the platform than other stages. the larger stage gives falco more breathing room, and subsequently makes it more difficult for marth to get in on you. marth gets a pseudo chain grab, so be careful about center stage.

Vs fox's shield pressure, you need to learn what you can do when. vs high nairs, you can do anything you want, but vs delayed aerials, you just have to wait it out, roll away, or hold down and mash L+A or B if you're at low percentage.

Vs badly spaced nair/bair at low percentage, always, always CC shine. If you can't, and aren't in the position to be knocked off stage, DI down and away (teching, if applicable) to make it more difficult for Fox to follow stuff up.

Vs well-spaced aerials you're just going to have to DI away. perfectly spaced nair and bair cannot be punished. fox is faster and hes just outside of the range for any of your quick moves.
I'm cool with that other stuff but you can shoot spaced aerials or hop over them and punish with a Nair usually.

I think he's trying to figure the same thing out... ;)
LOL it's almost like you knew you were gonna talk to me about this you jerk. <3

Falco's combos are so much more difficult than tech chasing with fox.

:|
yeee

Continue to play the game until Falco's and Fox's combos are not that hard to do anymore.. there ya go.
They're not "hard" to do, but tougher to finish/start up on better players as they'll have better control of their defensive options as well. 0-deaths don't happen continuously in spacie matchups because of this....or the players just aren't good enough, but I think if it were that easy then it'd be happening a lot more frequently then.

how hard a combo is to do should almost not be mentioned when discussing "top level" of play.
low/mid levels of play shouldn't even be discussed, imo, because we should all be striving to be on that top level.

with that said, i suck at this game. i'm clearly playing at bottom level. lol so phuck it.
link beats falco at low levels of play. DISCUS.
Depends on the combo and matchup really. Unless you mean just any given combo, then I kinda can go with that except DI mixups and all sort of makes that less common at higher level as well.

eat a dude's butt with a side of cottage cheese
bahahhaahahaha <333

peepee what %s can marth fair you out of uthrow --> followup
Depends on whether he DIs the lasers or not. Grabbing at 0% and DI'ing out seemed to give M2K enough time to Fair me, but I think if I grabbed at 10% or after then I typically got away with it. I mean if Marth DIs the lasers up then it shouldn't work at all, but apparently Marths don't know that, even though Toasty showed me it when he stayed at my house(<3).

Not true. There could be things in either match that actually resulted in a players victory that had nothing to do with the winning player. Look at the whole set and you can gather a lot (especially since it is such a long set) of information such as either players ability (or lack of) to learn/adapt to the other player.

edit: oh friendly matches
agreed

no Jman is a better player

falco has the advantage. Shiz loses to NO Fox with his Falco, same with Mango, and lambchops doesn't go worse than 50/50 with the best fox's either. Just combo the **** out of him and stop his dance dance game with lasers (his strongest asset vs many other characters)

sheik and marth lose to falco

but go even with fox
Where do you draw the line M2K? Jman better than Shiz? Jman better than Chops? So what if you use modern Falcos anyway? All the current Foxes are BEHIND in the metagame anyway, at least vs Falco(not by a crazy amount anymore though....Foxes have been catchin up thanks to Mango lol).

Fox combos the everloving **** out of Falco back and can gimp him easier and tech chase him easier and edgeguard him easier and platform camp AND he doesn't need his dash dance game vs Falco and Falco isn't even fast so losing that isn't a big deal when Fox can still move in spurts. Lasers are slow so Fox can see them coming. You don't need powershielding. Platform camping draws higher lasers anyway so then Fox can get down and close the gap between him and Falco quickly since he's fast and all.

sheik is mad gay.
true

mango's falco ***** me sometimes and always beats me more than 50%
drpp can beat me
forward can beat me sometimes
zhu beat me
PC in his prime can beat me
the 1 friendly I had with bomb solder at OC3 he beat me (even though I ranked much higher)

fox's I lose to majority of the time: 0

and I don't just base off that, Dash dance is Marth's best move and it is taken away against Falco it changes EVERYTHING

(btw Ken always told me he thought Marth loses to both space animals esp. falco and i've always agreed with him both before and after I was about to beat Ken)

chain grab is only good on FD

the space animals can just illusion or fire fox to a platform on most stages and live for a long time. Marth has no strong aerial to kill them quickly.
Falco is slow so wtf does DD even matter? WD is definitely fast enough, as are Marth's aerials and other attacks which all have more range than Falco......

Wtf Ken learned the Falco matchup and beat PC back. Ken beat Bombsolider....I dunno I guess he was just too good....

CG is good to rack damage until you get platform tech chases to a kill or massive damage. It may not outright kill but it sure gets the super safe CC %s knocked out of the way. Plus the grabs can alternatively set up gimps or tech chases, which also make your life easier. So much can be done off a grab M2K why am I telling you this lol.
I've seen lucky get almost jv 5d by mango's falco in person. Just learn how to combo the **** out of Fox and he is done. It works on every stage, while chain grab is only broken on FD
It's not like Mango plays lucky every day and knows him inside and out or anything.....

Fox can combo really hard without CG, it's just much easier on FD, just like it's much easier for Falco to punish very hard off of an opening there as well.

I'd say fox vs marth is even... and falco vs marth is debatably either way. Marth players haven't gotten to the point where they're abusing a lot of things like SDI'ing lasers and powershielding continuously.

Also, I loved your analysis of the MU niko... I love doing MUs like that :)
agreed at that last marth sentence.

IB and Diakonos have beat great falcos like shiz, chops, blunted object, sion, etc. And m2k has also beat them all at some some point.

Its not like falco's straight dominate marths idk what you guys are smoking.

But i wil lsay this, marth's like to cry cuz they can't DD, I agree with what PP was saying earlier about how the anti-falco metagame sucks right now.

marths don't powershield, they don't fair immediately after being laser'd and othe rthings, and they still do fine because marth has amazing combos and gimps.

yall trippin.
worrrrd

about puff

i 4 stocked jmans fox twice and hax's fox twice just before apex2 with puff

by getting the lead in the beginning of the game then planking

they both think it's broken, the puffs refuse to use it, with it she is god-tier
Hax plays Fox???

Did Jman give up vs you partway through because you talked about it being broken? There are a lot of details left out that would be important since that match was a friendly. Plus, Jman could have figured the strategy out given more time.

It's an amazing strat, but I think it can be beaten with patience and precision.
Hopefully. I wish I could practice against it.

Lol. Sion is a great falco. There's lots of room for improvement (and I know the particulars), but he's very legit and I'm proud of him. Rubyiris appears to me to be someone who somehow feels upset when another is praised. Is it because you feel that you are comparable and that you should be receiving props, too? I think this is the second time you've been harping on Sion.

Anyway while I'm on Falco boards I want to say thank you for you hard working falcos. I seriously think it's you guys that keep the melee metagame moving along. <3
Never thought about it like that, thanks Diakonos. Def hittin you up for talks and smash next tourney we're at. =)

i think if falco gets under or behind marth he wins and doesnt get grabbed by ledge.

i think marth wins if falco lets himself get grabbed. or double jumps like an idiot.

Marth powershilding to wd grab is really good, but cross up down airs ***** like 80-90 percent of marth options if hes too close to jab/fair cleanly. Even if it does hit clean, falcos should reset the stage space or just down air etc. out of hit stun instead of doing other **** and getting grabbed. Marth can aim a light shield back etc to shield grab deep down airs but as of right now m2k is the only one that can do that semi- consistently.

90 percent of falcos hate marth because they suck at dealing with hit stun and let marth hit the ground.

Theres just really simple things that marth cant deal with well. cross up aerials and being above falco.
Unless Marth's damage is pretty high, he probably won't take too much damage if he's above Falco, and Marth usually just WD away if Falco's behind him. Sure they're not favorable positions, but it certainly isn't comparable to being grabbed or above Marth....

Marth can force grabs on Falco just fine, and he can bait DJs pretty well too.

More getting behind Marth stuff. Marth can shield DI Falco's shield pressure or simply WD OOS since Falco's pressure stuff isn't as fast as Fox's and be fine. Shield DI makes your life easier either way with that too.

I'm now apparently good vs Marth but hate what he could do that no one does. Guess I'm a statistic.

Falco can't deal with all of his approaches being countered or being shut down by Marth once he's wary of approaching. Powershielding, taking lasers in the air or on the ground to a move/WD/whatever, or getting under Falco's lasers all still seem pretty solid methods for dealing with Falco's lasers on approaches, and I've already been over the numerous defensive things Marth can do vs Falco's stuff, but will gladly go over it again.

So back to the whole Falco vs Sheik/Marth discussion.

I personally feel Marth is easier to shut down for a couple of reasons.

1. His SH doesn't go over lasers like Sheik's.
2. He relies on dash dances a lot, as M2K pointed out earlier in this thread I believe. Sheik doesn't, but her WD out of shield is faster than his (plus her shield is bigger, making PSing easier and reducing the chances of getting shield stabbed).
3. Her gimps are just as good as Marth's.
4. Sheik's nair out of shield is much faster than Marth's fair out of shield.
5. Her combos are more guaranteed at KO percents.

The only thing Marth really has is grab combos. But I don't think that is enough to compensate for what he lacks.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.
1. Eh that doesn't really matter. They just deal with lasers differently.
2. same thing
3. Hmm I feel like Marth's Dthrow sends spacies lower but otherwise I guess so? I dunno.
4. Used for different things
5. Marth tends to rack up damage/kill better with a grab so it just seems like a trade off to me. Besides, if Marth swats Falco offstage then he just gets those pretty easy edgeguards anyway.

1. Sheiks Sh going over lasers isnt all that useful. Her aerial mobility is garbage, and her downward priority is generally also pretty terrible. If sheik makes it her perogative to sh over your lasers, lol, you could place uptilt, bairs, sh rising dairs, almost anything in her way and **** her he balls off. this is more of a negative than anything, because s jumping sheik is the ****-bait

2. Tru about the DD. is her WD oos really "faster" ? interesting, i dont know the frames on their jumps.

3. debatable, but i think its marth favor reason i'll describe in a longer post when i have more time.

4. sheiks nair is 6 frames. Marths fair iirc is 8 frames. but i think what you might be saying is that it technically takes time for marth's sword to arc from over his head down to hit you so i see your point.

5. I feel like marths relative ease/reliably at low percents, makes up for his lack of high percent combo/ko moves. Its like a tradeoff. sheik has trouble building damage with hard techchases at low percents, but easy combo into kill moves at high percents. Marth is the opposite. but i feel like its ok for marth because once your at that kill percent, he doesn't need to combo into a kill move anyway, any random hit that sends you offstage and then he just trusts his edgeguarding.

as an aside, CC'ing is far more effective vs sheik at useful percents because of the way both of their movesets work.
so idk, those are my thoughts. I'll make a longer posts about how i feel about their gimping ability later tonight when i've got more time.

so yea, overall, i think marth is the harder matchup personally :)
1. It can be mixed up well enough that you can't bait it that easily. Plus, I don't think Utilt or anything beats Sheiks Fair. If Sheik Bairs from a SH over a laser, then lol for sure.
2. yeah I'd like to know that too.
3. aww
4. Marth can move backward so it doesn't matter as much, but like I said before they're used for different things and both do their job well.
5. I suck at CC'ing vs Sheik

I wished the :peach: boards was as good as the :falco: boards.
You guys need to stop talkin about who's cute and stuff lol. =p

Platform drop Fair / waveland off platform Fair are where it's at for Sheik in the Falco MU
Gah dang it so true. =(

1. doesn't matter, sheik's SH over lasers still gives falco stage control from a distance, and at close range falco should engage sheik w/o lasers anyway because as DR pointed out, sheik can just CC grab the laser lead in and falco gets *****. falco has to be cautious w/ laser > grounded followup to begin with, so sheik's SH is worth very little.
2. falco has to be wary of marth's DD at a close range because laser is ineffective there. remember that falco's primary use of laser is stage control, or safe approaches on aerial opponents that are about to land. marth's DD is gimped but not substantially. if you want to gimp marth's DD, CP hm to brinstar or RC.
3. false. sheik has AMAZING gimps and edge guarding, but it's still ultimately inferior to marth's because he can grab or fair to grab and his throws happen to reliably lead into said gimps.
4. marth shouldn't use fair OOS vs falco. if marth is given a safe, fast OOS option, WD back is fine. Marth's WD back forces falco to drop his offensive, since falco loses all of his attacking momentum and it's a very poor decision for falco to attack at that range. falco's best option is to retreat and set up a new attack angle that is more advantageous, something that falco doesn't want to do since he's a very momentum heavy character in the first place.
5. yup, totally agree.

I think you underplay marth's grab game vs falco a LOT. marth's grabs are utterly destructive vs falco and marth's grab is extremely dangerous to begin with. You also make no points to address that sheik is basically combo practice for falco, and just has a beautiful weight and fall speed to keep getting hit by marginally proficient falcos.

falco's approaches ARE limited and he does have observable holes in his offense. The general trick to beating falco is exploiting these holes in the first place. fox has notably fewer holes, so it's common to see a falco player use fox effectively but much less likely to see a fox using falco properly.

edit: no one new school understands marth at all. how disappointing.
1. Wouldn't it be better for Sheik to WD back or Ftilt instead of grab when she takes a laser? Also I thought you couldn't really CC lasers??
2. Word
3. I feel like Marth's are easier too, but I don't play Sheik enough to know for sure. eh
4. Fair OOS is used more for countering laser approaches and not pressure itself. I agree with the rest of that stuff you said.
5. I wish I comboed Sheik's better so I could see what you're saying, but yeah the rest I'm 4000% agreeing with.

I think "requires frame perfect reaction" is a stretch.

edit: I think percentage dependencies for follows are also somewhat exaggerated. For a while you do U-tilt. Then at like 50% you switch to tipped aerials (Fair, Uair) or you tip an F-smash. For the first 50% of the chain grab you do pretty much the same thing every time vs. Falco. You regrab to 32 or so, U-tilt, regrab, U-tilt, regrab, then you're at 50. And then you wow the audience with your awesome combo skills.
yee

I'm '05. In my opinion it's easier to fight Falco with Sheik, but I think Unbreon giving Marth a bit too much credit.

I hardly DD against Falco as Marth. Maybe I am missing something, but laser control works well against me, and forces me to play out of my shield. I think fair oos is okay unless the Falco is obviously ready for it. I also don't believe that "utterly destructive" is suitable to describe Marth's grab game. Good falcos know when to CC on platforms and many times the gays on the edge just don't work like they used to.

Sheik's b-throw gimps are as good as Marth's d-throw gimps, in my opinion.
possibly

there are ways around CC'ing on platforms I'm pretty sure.

could you explain why?

@ m2k yeah i know there's more but i didn't feel like getting into details >__>

but yeah i know there's a range you have to pivot grab or something vs slight di/no di (i dunno when it starts for falco though, fox is like 20 iirc) because otherwise the space animals can shine out or w/e

at 16 or so you have to move forward to get the regrab, and there's another percent for behind (i think it's higher)

at 0 if he di into you the regrab doesn't work (either he can shake and land on feet and shine first, or the grab literally doesn't combo, or both, i forget) so you have to f-throw (beats di in), or u-throw (beats all other di) and mix it up, or try to d-throw tech chase if you can

@ cactuar

you make this game sound so dumb sometimes lolololol

but yeah basically
I quoted this thinking I'd have a legit response but I didn't....

officially announcing "beats fast, bass down low: a dr peepee combo video"

coming to a youtube near you in december 2011
I dunno if I'm playin a puff soon.

sorry jason/charles i actually agree @ the washed-up has been thing. i was talking to chu yesterday and it's very apparent to both of us that we're not nearly as good at melee as we were and obviously never will be that good again.

that said, I still understand the game @ ruby. your technical ability is more than ample to do what you need to do in order to beat the people you're losing to in videos. your spacing is bad and you make no attempt to outsmart the opponent visibly in any way. you're the staple "stupid falco" that mashes buttons, sometimes in a manner that does like a 2 hit combo but never really more than that unless your opponent DIs bad. i watched some of your videos from early 2009 and you play the exact same suggesting no improvement whatsoever. this isn't even hate at this point, it's just simple observation.
What was that discussion like, if you don't mind my asking? I'm very interested by that topic.

wow i was the first reply in that thread

old school

on MARTH:

people seem to forget he has a ****ty shield especially on top. after his shield takes a few hits if he's in a position where he can't do anything but shield you can literally just aim dairs at his head and he will get hit
It's hard to stay on good Marths' shields that long though....

good marths don't shield

actually, my advice is probably the best he's gotten. being told what not to do over and over eliminates things that don't work and at the end only leaves things that do work. I told him why he sucks, so eliminating those problems one at a time given his technical proficiency is probably the best way for him to learn. as a side note, this teaching technique works really well in brawl too, since "technical proficiency" is so much easier to achieve. when you want to teach someone, you must first determine what teaching method will be most effective. this is why i agreed to teach you pokemon under the stipulation that you continue to use lanturn, so you'll understand why everyone else is telling you not to now.

I have a reputation as an excellent teacher. don't blow me off so quickly.
I miss posts like these a lot.

Also good Marths shield enough to bait and do OOS options I'm sure. They can't always be swinging their swords around or jumping or on platforms or something. It's just spurts of movement I'd say that happen to involve shield.

yeah utilt > shine but more dairs > utilt a lot of the time. something like dair -> utilt -> lots of dairs is good smoetimes.

mango is smarter than us so he uses dtilts but i dont understand how to make that work, i always just die. might wanna try it out though?
Dtilt is amazing and leads into cool things but it's weird in that you have to do more Dtilts or WD out of using it.

I should have a cool Dtilt combo you guys will see soon enough though. =p

I'm pretty sure I've beaten people in tournament with Falco while using only dair. Nothing else. Dair is so underrated. Despite being tied with lasers, shine, lasers, and utilt for best overall Falco move.

@Umbreon: I don't feel like I've improved in the last two years... When will I fall into that washed-up catagory?
I always asked what to do vs low tiers vs good low tier players, and they always told me to Dair lol. That move is super good.

You don't think you've improved? Dang.....well I guess you just don't play as much as you used to so it makes some sense...

PP I am offended that my question did not make #4 on your list. no name falcos such as myself take prio over Cactuar.

Even over the internet it's hard to type mean things to you being as I am such a fan boy <3

and YES make a critique thread, if you do, I will buy a dazzle with my first paycheck this week.
Lol hey man I'm rushed what can I say? =p

I'm glad you like my Falco though. =) Preciate it.

Also I'll probably make it if I ever finish responding to everything lol.

critique thread get.
aight

You should definitely make a critique thread.
okay I guess I will then lol, and if Mogwai doesn't like it for whatever reason then I guess he could always close it.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Just want to reply to pps response to bob$. I believe that bob$ was referring not to situations like falco being below marth on a platorm, but being below a marth mid-approach, clipping marth with a nair > anything then following it up with various moves. using that, would you care to reword your argument?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik vs Falco MU from Sheik perspective is basically

Do stuff win

Lasers are gay

Sheik is gayer

Falco is a bird

Bird is the word

The word is Daemon

Reboot

Falcinho

Smash Ace
I can. You just have selective memory because you hate me. Maybe if you payed better attention you would notice that I do take critique.
I can assure you that i don't hate you and maybe it's selective memory because i don't check swf that often anymore (but i dont think so since like everybody here tells you the same )
That being said it's really frustrating to see how one of the few threads i still bother to look up lost quality in the last few days =(

edit: also what KK wrote is exactly my MU plan when i play Sheik

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I can assure you that i don't hate you and maybe it's selective memory because i don't check swf that often anymore (but i dont think so since like everybody here tells you the same )
That being said it's really frustrating to see how one of the few threads i still bother to look up lost quality in the last few days =(

edit: also what KK wrote is exactly my MU plan when i play Sheik
oh well? if people didn't try to read so deeply into my posts, and misinterpret their content, this would never happen.

im not going to change just because of a select few idiots.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
It was meant to be funny ... I stopped looking for something deep in your posts long ago

I don't care if you change, i just wondered why you do it and that's why i asked

Oh So Steezy

Smash Rookie
Just a very quick, very nooby question about shffl'ing. Do I press L at the same time I FF? It seems like with Falco I shield a lot after attempting to shffl and the only way I can stop it is to L-cancel and FF at the same time.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
just because your hands forgot how to play doesn't mean your mind does

@ PP Jman is better than Zhu (I love zhu but i think jman is better player). Shiz is hard to say cuz he's the most varied player on the planet.

There's a reason Falco's have always been ranking higher than Fox's at the vast majority of major tourneys for the past 5 years. He's a better character. And If falco hits fox once, fox should die, or take tons of damage + be off stage at a bad position. Mango has proved that to me so many times when I play him. Shiz has proved this to me, and so has lambchops. No fox comes close to beating his Falco (Shiz and Mango especially) when they're playing good, and lambchops and Shiz beat ALL the fox's the majority too even you do (except mangos) even though you don't like that MU as much as others. So that's 3 or 4 Falco's who can beat EVERY fox the majority just from those people. Who cares if Falco is slow if you can't do much about what he does. Fox being fast doesn't stop him from being easily outranged and gimped. Falco can just laser laser laser and if he gets a hit (let's say 50/50 chance of getting a hit) he can do a large combo or kill off it. Marth can jab or F smash or something but they don't do more than get 1 hit off. Jab doesn't even lead to grab with Marth. Marth sucks and he's an overrated character, I only use him because I'm good with him. Falco ***** Fox dude if you just master how to combo Fox to death every time. Fox certainly does not combo the crap out of falco nearly as hard as the Falco does it to the fox. I do not believe the Fox's are behind the metagame as much as Falco is just a better all around character, and this has been proved through history for many many years by many different players. I don't think it's coincidence.

1. Wouldn't it be better for Sheik to WD back or Ftilt instead of grab when she takes a laser? Also I thought you couldn't really CC lasers??

^ In response to that if Falco does a Dair it completely beats out Sheik's F tilt. Not to mention the high combo, kill, or situational advantage that follows. With Fox, however, Sheik can just tilt through Fox's nair and either beat it or trade with it every time. I learned this from Captain Jack back in 2006 and then I use it on other people now too

PP let's say Marth shuts down an approach with a jab

Ok

jab doesn't lead to anything

if I f smash, it doesn't lead to anything

If Falco gets the hit (let's say 50/50 chance even though it's probably more than that) he gets a LONG COMBO from that or a KILL

you do a Nair, I get spiked.

You do a Dair, I either get spiked or tech chased on platforms

You do a dash attack, I get spiked

the fact that Falco has such strong follow ups + makes it hard to get in more than other characters is why I believe he is a top 2 character. Planking jiggs is still number 1 to me.

also I meant to say Hax's falcon not fox, that was a mistake. I've 4 stokced jman before by planking and once by just getting the lead and doing up/back throws at the edge and gimping or comboing to rest. I beat forward axe and taj by just planking them back around Devastation 2010 just to show them how gay it is. I have too much honor to do that stuff in a tournament I was just trying to show them what Jigglypuff COULD do so people can stop saying only Metaknight can plank (except MK has a ledge grab limit because ******s try to plank the ENTIRE game and ruin brawl while no jigglypuff tries to plank in melee, so they made the argument that there shouldn't be a comparison so I'm like okay I'll show you try to beat this and now they all think there should be a ledge grab limit for jigglypuff (called "cliffhangers" at end of game).

-----

Falco is slow so wtf does DD even matter? WD is definitely fast enough, as are Marth's aerials and other attacks which all have more range than Falco......

Wtf Ken learned the Falco matchup and beat PC back. Ken beat Bombsolider....I dunno I guess he was just too good....

CG is good to rack damage until you get platform tech chases to a kill or massive damage. It may not outright kill but it sure gets the super safe CC %s knocked out of the way. Plus the grabs can alternatively set up gimps or tech chases, which also make your life easier. So much can be done off a grab M2K why am I telling you this lol.

^^^^^

In response to this. PC beat Ken at OC3 with Falco in the set only to lose to my Marth right after. His falco wasn't even playing that good at that tournament compared to what it usually does. historically I do better against PC's Fox than Falco at most tournaments with OC3 being the outlier. PC has a winning or even record vs Ken's Marth with his Falco, and he isn't even at the top of that matchup I think he could improve a lot at it. I'm better vs Falco than Ken is with Marth. Ken thinks that matchup is heavily in Falco's favor - I have talked to him a lot about this in 2006 and a bit in 2007 on aim and once at OC2 in person. The only reason I picked up marth for Falco is because my Fox sucked at the matchup.

Chain grab is only good on FD. Grabs are very limited on other stages by comparison. BY A LOT.

Having more range is nice and all but when it only does measely damage for a guess while when Falco guesses it's MASSIVE DAMAGE then the odds are not in marth's favor :/ If Marth could combo as good as Falco then yeah sure. But as far as I can see Falco only loses on FD and Fountain and not even by much.

----

practice comboing Fox over and over and you will see how exploitable he is

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
m2k ur dum. you've obviously never seen a fox player who can consistently SDI out of falcos launchers, or CC them at lower %. falco getting a solid hit leading into a combo on fox is stupid hard if the fox wants it to be.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i love m2k's post cuz he name drops everywhere and hdgaf! lol

but i kinda also agree with ruby (oh snap!) that fox can make it horrorshow difficult for falco to land anything constructive.

i also personally think that fox's damage output on falco can be just as devastating as the reverse with a few decnt techchases thrown in but people seem to think his techchase is like, ******** difficult so no one believes that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
My qualm with the tech chase theory mainly has to do with how the Shine can be DIed by Falco to edgecancel and grab the edge from a fairly large distance. So Falco can hold near center stage (he's often under a plat anyways unless he's pushing) and cancel Fox's combos simply by grabbing the edge. I mean, I guess you can argue Fox has gained a large positional advantage, sure, but Falco has one of the broken ledgedashes (among other things), and positional advantage doesn't necessarily translate to automatic ****.

I think for all the rageposts over Falco's combo starters being difficult to hit, people should be reminded that Fox Shines can be edgecanceled (in addition to all manner of automatic follows like jab resets being escapable at stupid low percents with easymode ASDIs), throws can be edgecanceled (positionally dependent), Uairs are SDIable, Nairs and Bairs on platforms are ASDIable to ground yourself (or tech, or whatever), and Dairs are also DIable to high hell (what with it being a multi-hit move and all). Nairs and Bairs onstage, of course, are crouch cancel food until like 40 (unless super spaced, though if they're super spacing they also probably can't follow with a Shine so it's mostly just poking, and poking =/= automatic **** death combo).

Pie.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
KK:
But its infinitely easier for the fox to consstently avoid falco's predictable launchers/combo starters when he is constanty and actively trying to do so

than

falco doing all those things on the fly/reacting in response to fox hitting him with said things.

point taken though.

Top Bottom