• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I never thought in my life I'd ever hear a four-stock chant AGAINST Armada, much less see it one short hop away from actually happening. Really excited for when all of the top 5 in the world meet again. Hopefully going to be closer this time.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I think PP's principal error wasn't so much that he ran into Armada's shield but that he kept challenging Armada in bad spots. It's true he got hit by a lot of OOS BS from AR but he also kept trying to crash high from neutral and faked laser when risk/reward wasn't in his favor

10th

Smash Cadet
I can't wait to hear PP's thoughts on the sets

I personally loved when he started faking armada out with those constant wavedashes, baiting the roll (or just the shield to PPs grab)- reminded me of how he played back at pound v

I hate seeing this matchup though, it's like PP has to play perfectly or he gets punished to death from that one mistake by armadas consistency

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I know, right? I mean, I know that it's considered to be about even, but Armada just makes it LOOK hella scary. one teeny tiny little mistake and BAM!

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm watching the stream recording now...holy hell. Armada's stall for Randal had to be the single craziest thing I've never seen before...and PP could've four-stocked him....Probably some of the best Melee I wil ever watch.

I'm one of the crazy people who think Peach wins the matchup, haha (doesn't change the fact that Armada makes me never want to play it as Falco EVER)

Armada

Smash Lord
Don't remember if I said like that.
I think the MU is even actually but if I have to say one side wins I guess it will be Peach but I still think it's even.

Btw: CG for the 15 dollars I helped you to get ;)

Beat!

Smash Master
Okay, I guess I remembered it wrong, then.

My point still stands, though. @SO

And thanks. You almost made me a little worried for a while there. ;)

leffen

Smash Champion
Even/probably peach's favor in PAL with normal stagelist

Even/probably falcos favor in NTSC with stupid (rr/kj64) stages

in short even

Armada

Smash Lord
Woah woah woah armada + leffen: what happened to falco losing to everybody?

Have I ever said something like that?
I can't remember that at least.

I still think powershields makes Falco way worse (look at Leffens Marth for example) but not even close to what you tried to imply :p

unknown522

Some guy
Oh. Well, maybe I misread something in the tier list thread

Edit: nope just checked. So what's the deal with falco in 4th? Who does he lose to to make him that low?

leffen

Smash Champion
Marth + Fox. He goes even/loses to Sheik/Peach, wins over Puff/Ics/Falcon

All of my top 4 (Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco) are all really close though

G

genkaku

Ice's powershields were crazy.
PP's DDs were really pretty.
Didn't armada try to stall for randal at genesis 2? I can't remember.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ice's powershields were mediocre at best. He only had like one good dash away one, and he only got like 3 punishes out of all of his powershields.

90% sure Armada and/or Leffen said Peach beats Falco in the tier list thread. lol

-EDIT-
Yeah, just Leffen though:

Peach wins 55-45 against falco imo (and I know armada thinks its at best even for falco).

The fact that you can powershield->throwturnip/ jump into float ***** the matchup

PP, why did you strike to DL game 1 of GF2 after doing so well on YS? I figured you'd go for that, or if Armada strikes it, PS or BF.

unknown522

Some guy
Ice has impressive movement out of PS, but I am still underwhelmed by the lack of consistency after being told how consistent he's supposed to be with it (I've heard he does it all the time...).

Also I think he gives up good positioning / gets ***** entirely when either:

A: he fails the PS

B: he expects them to laser so he stands there, or moves slowly toward the falco, then they simply don't shoot the laser (see pp vs him especially for this example).

C: he PSs, but the falco is too close and causes the laser to miss

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i wouldn't be surprised if he's like me. I played hiv+ at the last tourney I went to and was getting ***** for 5 matches, so then I decided I would just powershield. Then for the rest of the night I was hitting like 90% of my powershields (I literally kept winning matches solely off powershield into pressure/ taking stage space). Warm up on a falco/sufficient play time against a falco prior to the set has a huge influence on my consistency. In tourney you don't get to play falcos constantly and there is the issue of breaks between games too.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Before I respond to these quotes, thanks for all of the love and support guys. =)

I have 2 questions for PP:

1) Have you noticed any relevant differences in PAL? I mean Falco-related differences. I've always felt like NTSC Falco is way better because of the spike, but I've never played NTSC for real so I might be wrong. I'd love to hear your opinion about this

2) Do you think right now Mango and Armada are slightly better than you, or are you confident you'll get them next time you'll play them? There were rumors about you being sick etc., I couldn't understand if people were trolling or not.
I'm not trolling btw, I'm just wondering what do you think about your last matches with Mango and Armada :x

Also ggs and congratulations for being the first american top player that came to Europe. It's a shame you confirmed so late. I wasn't able to book the tickets to the tournament when I saw you were coming D:
I would have loved to play you. Do you think you'll come back sooner or later? <3
I talk about this in the interview with Novi going up soon probably, but people can DI the Dair farther away in PAL than NTSC. Angle of trajectory is farther or something I believe. Dair may also be different strength in PAL I'm not sure I didn't test.

2. I don't want to comment on most of this.

I am confident I will win next time assuming I train appropriately. That goes for both of them.

Sorry I confirmed so late, bad Paypal things etc happened......I'd love to be back I seriously would. Right now I don't know how or when that would happen though.

I actually think not going in too much is what kept him in the matches.

First set (WF), he was getting 2 and 3 stocked for free because he kept attacking armada's sheild and getting ***** OOS for it. Both sets of grand finals he played much more patient and landed a ton of grab combosand didn't let himself get bair oos->dsmashed or nair oos to death.

going in is pretty bad vs armada it seems
Going in is fine, you just have to not be dumb. Playing slow vs Peach allows her to match your speed within her limits, something you should avoid as Falco I've come to decide.

I can't wait to hear PP's thoughts on the sets

I personally loved when he started faking armada out with those constant wavedashes, baiting the roll (or just the shield to PPs grab)- reminded me of how he played back at pound v

I hate seeing this matchup though, it's like PP has to play perfectly or he gets punished to death from that one mistake by armadas consistency

You won't hear much from me on the sets unless lots of people ask for it(especially those who donated to me).

I'm glad you enjoyed the matches =)

PP, why did you strike to DL game 1 of GF2 after doing so well on YS? I figured you'd go for that, or if Armada strikes it, PS or BF.
Armada won RPS iirc and took away YS that set. I took away BF because he won there in set 1 GFs I think. DL I felt like I could do well if I played using more platform lasers but it didn't work out for reasons.

Knowing Canada, it was probably someone else posting on his account.
lmao

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
That DI thing would make a huge difference D:
Are you sure about that? It's weird it didn't come up before when people were checking the differences between PAL and NTSC tho

I can understand if you don't feel like commenting your sets, but thanks for the answer anyway and ggs. I hope you'll get them soon xP
And it would be awesome if you managed to come back =D
Were the prizes high enough to make up (partially) for your trip?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be surprised. I remember being caught off guard when Baxon was able to survive some offstage dair PP hit him with because he DI'd away.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How badly did you want that 4-stock you almost got?
Not that badly. I did think it would've been cool but if I can't end it with a runoff Dair then it's not cool enough for me.

....my brain sucks LOL

That DI thing would make a huge difference D:
Are you sure about that? It's weird it didn't come up before when people were checking the differences between PAL and NTSC tho

I can understand if you don't feel like commenting your sets, but thanks for the answer anyway and ggs. I hope you'll get them soon xP
And it would be awesome if you managed to come back =D
Were the prizes high enough to make up (partially) for your trip?
SOMETHING is different about the trajectory people go at when they get Dair'd in PAL. Either that or Euros just DI it retardedly better than American pros/Armada in NTSC somehow, or the Dair is different in another way I don't know of that changes my perception there.

Have faith my man, I will not disappoint you I guarantee it. =)

The prizes were indeed high enough to help me out. I saved a little from Canada(around $90) as well! After paying people back I figure I'll be breaking roughly even but Paypal fees may cause that to make me a little in the red. I'm not too upset honestly I don't play smash for money haha. =p

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Even/probably peach's favor in PAL with normal stagelist

Even/probably falcos favor in NTSC with stupid (rr/kj64) stages

in short even
I'm not entirely sure she loses to him on KJ64. But probably? Either way, those two stages won't ever be on again, and with a ruleset that forces Falco to go to FD... (I think her advantage from FD outweighs his on her on Stadium).

Peepee, is it that there isn't much to say about the sets, or do you not trust Smashboards with what you have to say?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm pretty confident Falco can time out Peach on KJ64, but I don't see PP or Mango trying to do it anyway. Without that, it seems like it would be in Peach's favor because of the large blast zones and barrel to assist recovery. Idk how the slants would play out in terms of lasers vs. floats or chain grabs though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm pretty confident Falco can time out Peach on KJ64, but I don't see PP or Mango trying to do it anyway. Without that, it seems like it would be in Peach's favor because of the large blast zones and barrel to assist recovery. Idk how the slants would play out in terms of lasers vs. floats or chain grabs though.
She couldn't float if she's in the middle but she could just crouch and counter my attacks I guess because I can't laser her then either unless I get into dash attack range.

I imagine DI'ing into the middle gets me hits slightly earlier at higher percents which is.....nice?

At least she can't tech a wall to recover or wall bomb stall for the barrel....

<.<

Top Bottom