• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
when falcos laser approach, i fullhop dair sometimes. stomps the idiots right in the head feathers. it's pretty funny.

with fox i just dip down from the top platform and shine whenever i feel like it. of course, my fox is ***, but it feels pretty safe pretty often lol. also, that whole head thing is why some foxes like to fh nair so much, and the same with sheik lol. sheiks can probably sh fair some things. i plan to play with her a lot in the near future.

mmm gonna have some funnnnn hittin them headfeathers boyyy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That's his weakness?? Normally every character this is above another one is pretty bad to begin with. You can probably just dair them anyways lol.
I mean when Falco is below someone and they want to fall on him.....

lol, PP so serious.

but regarding Falco's weakness from above... uhhh, I dunno man, a lot of characters would ****ing kill to have Falco's utilt for defensive purposes. I know that it trades with some ****, but most of them are slow and come from characters where you need to be asking yourself what you're doing that's allowing Captain Falcon/Ganon/Link to get enough free time above you to get a dair out by the time it needs to be out to trade with your utilt. I think usmash is underutilized for defensive forward and above hits, but it is laggier, so you need to be sure you're going to catch people with it as opposed to utilt that you can just kinda throw out there in a lot of situations.
Well it's like you want to take stage from Falcon, but then he jumps on a platform. Before you can reposition yourself very far, Falcon is falling with a stomp/knee/bair which may or may not trade with uptilt but even if they do that won't be too phenomenal(I'm saying just assume the situation comes up how would we handle it basically because I think it could/should be happening somewhat often if people want to try to beat Falco). Upsmash is a good thought I hadn't considered, but I figured that was only strong hitting in front and maybe diagonally in front of Falco? I'd think it's too slow to cover his head because you could just move instead of risking that imo.
I think I heard that Usmash has some invincibility in it somewhere...is it anywhere useful?

I'd say the answer is camp under a platform in all seriousness
That's actually probably where that strategy came from, now that I think about it haha. Although this just means that dealing with someone trying to fall from a platform will be the issue instead of them directly jumping onto you usually. I'd usually try to attack them first to avoid taking that hit honestly, but then that seems like it can be quite easily baited since my only line of avoiding the weak spot is to push out into the other person....or run to the middle I suppose but Falco isn't particularly swift lol.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Falco's probably better than anyone at not letting the opponent get above him with his amazing full hop and then he can just use it to waveland onto a top platform and full hop again so the situation can usually be avoided altogether if you want.

I'd think it's too slow to cover his head because you could just move instead of risking that imo.
I think I heard that Usmash has some invincibility in it somewhere...is it anywhere useful?
Ironic that you mention his head being exposed and then ask about the invincibility frames of the upsmash as I'm pretty sure they cover his head (but not his beak oddly) lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I mean when Falco is below someone and they want to fall on him.....
I don't see many character having a move fast enough to drop down that way. Like if Falcon tries to dair from that high then you can counter his dair with anything before it comes out.. like jump at him before the animation comes out.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I don't see many character having a move fast enough to drop down that way. Like if Falcon tries to dair from that high then you can counter his dair with anything before it comes out.. like jump at him before the animation comes out.
But you start doing that and Falcon can start trying to counter and use his double jump to avoid your counter and do things like knee you out of your fullhop, which is not at all a pleasant position to be in lol.

Niko45

Smash Master
On YS at least utilt hits through the platform directly above which is ****ing amazing and would cover any type of approach to that platform. In general if they are falling through a platform they needed to get on that platform in the first place so you should have some amount of time to anticipate that, unless you were baited and whiffed something right as they went up in which case you're pretty boned.

In fact, I've been noticing this to be an insanely good falco ditto strategy. You know how as Marth it can be extremely effective to camp generally by wavelanding in place on a platform and just falling through with retreat fair repeatedly?

Well, not to say you can spam that in falco dittos but a really quick waveland on a platform, say, after shielding a laser or something can net you fall through dairs all ****ing day.

Seems like it can be one of the best ways to deal with being the falco that doesn't have stage control at the time.

D

Deleted member

against falco i just try to hit him in the face. it's his most obvious hole.

as falco, i cover that hole with lasers/DD camping. frankly though i don't think it's all that dangerous to get hit once or twice like that, but it's a lot MORE dangerous to get grabbed after.

i agree that camping under a platform is also a good idea, 1 to reduce the potency of opponent's aerial > grab set-ups but also 2 so that you can edge cancel any set-ups performed on you.

if i can't aerial shine on my opponent's shield, i don't do an aerial. it's too easy to abuse his lag. instead i'll land in a laser at a small distance or i'll waveland....somewhere.

kevin your are awesome.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Armada took over his thread. =P

==

There isn't a character I can think of who has a fast move below them that would be useful enough to drop through a platform with, besides Falco (lol), and maybe Fox. If you know it's coming, you could just roll, I think. You could also utilt or usmash (more for Fox, though, since dair is stupid on Falco). If you wanted, you could shield > OoS punish (shine, probably), as well.

==

Hey, how do you guys learn to not want to hit things? As a player, the only thought I really have in my mind is, "I have to hit them." I was told that I don't always have to hit them. It is a linear line of thinking on my part, and it just boils down to patience. How does one acquire patience? (I'm fine with either a general answer, or one specific to Falco. I just want a concept to keep in mind.)

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Hey, how do you guys learn to not want to hit things? As a player, the only thought I really have in my mind is, "I have to hit them." I was told that I don't always have to hit them. It is a linear line of thinking on my part, and it just boils down to patience. How does one acquire patience? (I'm fine with either a general answer, or one specific to Falco. I just want a concept to keep in mind.)
Playing another character can help, like Samus. Sometimes the change in character temporarily can help the change in mindset. It will be like pulling teeth at first, but after you get wrecked a few times you'll start thinking about when you approach and playing more defensively and then it will carry over with Falco hopefully... Although sometimes with Falco you think about it and still do it, because you're Falco and don't care lol.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not recommending this, but I usually just shield any time I am getting attacked from above. Shine OoS pwns a lot of stuff, and even if their move is safe on shield (Falcon stomp/knee, Sheik fair, etc.) trying to escape after the move always seems easier/less risky than trying to beat it outright. Only thing you have to watch out for are tomahawks. On a related note, I've started to just spend entire games just watching for grabs and nothing else because it seems to really throw people off when they can't get their daily dosage of grabs even if they are landing a decent amount of other moves.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
exactly. being above falco isn't spectacular considering his uptilt will still beat almost everything, and in general, almost entire cast is terrible at attacking from above anyway. (almost every down air in the game is either slow, low priority, or sucks)

if all else fails though, I just use turn around/pivot bairs to cover my head.

Bones0

Smash Legend
There isn't a character I can think of who has a fast move below them that would be useful enough to drop through a platform with, besides Falco (lol), and maybe Fox. If you know it's coming, you could just roll, I think. You could also utilt or usmash (more for Fox, though, since dair is stupid on Falco). If you wanted, you could shield > OoS punish (shine, probably), as well.

==

ICs have a pretty fast dair for dropping through platforms. Dropping through platforms is usually fast enough that it doesn't really matter if the move covers below you. Like Falcon can drop through with uairs or Marth with fairs and they are way better than Falco/Fox's dairs because they have more range. They come out fast enough that it doesn't matter if they aren't directly below their body on frame 1.

If you have an opportunity to hit someone, you should take it... If you are being impatient and missing hits as a result, that's a different story. It just means you should raise your standards for what a good scenario to approach in is. I used to try to SHFFL at Marth every time he landed from an aerial, but it resulted in me just getting hit by follow-up utilts all day until I learned that Falco just isn't fast enough to punish on reaction. Sometimes I do go for a punish after they land an aerial, but sometimes I wait to see what they do first and react to that option instead. Sometimes I will punish with a laser because it IS quick enough and I can follow up after, and I mix it up even further by sometimes punishing with a laser and then waiting for their reaction to it. I've found being able to land first hits requires a good "being a step ahead" mentality. Falco isn't fast enough for predictable approaches to work, so if you can keep your opponent unsure about when you will pounce, you'll have a much easier time baiting reactions that Falco IS able to pounce on.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I agree with bones... honestly the best option is to shield.

The situations ur describing pp sounds like you already failed to maintain a good spacing and they already "won", so you should concede and shield rather than try to get greedy and beat it...

but man, speaking of falco... have u SEEN armada's falco, **** is amazing!!!

Max?

Smash Champion
It's fun hearing about Falco's "weaknesses". So utilt doesn't cover EVERY single area above Falco... boohoo lol. Just pivot Utilt.

lol, PP so serious.

but regarding Falco's weakness from above... uhhh, I dunno man, a lot of characters would ****ing kill to have Falco's utilt for defensive purposes.
Yep, pretty much.

Yep.

Carry on

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Falco's probably better than anyone at not letting the opponent get above him with his amazing full hop and then he can just use it to waveland onto a top platform and full hop again so the situation can usually be avoided altogether if you want.

Ironic that you mention his head being exposed and then ask about the invincibility frames of the upsmash as I'm pretty sure they cover his head (but not his beak oddly) lol.
Well his FH is really good for preventing the situation yeah, but I'm supposing a time where they are already above him(just somehow) and he has to deal with being attacked from above.

Is his head invincible the whole way through the move? whoa

Then he does a knee/Bair mixup or DJ waveland bait. Or he spaces the Dair. I just feel like this can be abused and doesn't necessarily have one surface layer answer such as jumping at them. Ganon falling through the top YS platform with a Bair/Fair is nearly impossible to outright punish for Falco and Falco has to switch positions with Ganon to be safe from it or be right under him before the move really connects with Falco(this is one example used to clarify what I mean and not the actual issue or anything).

On YS at least utilt hits through the platform directly above which is ****ing amazing and would cover any type of approach to that platform. In general if they are falling through a platform they needed to get on that platform in the first place so you should have some amount of time to anticipate that, unless you were baited and whiffed something right as they went up in which case you're pretty boned.

In fact, I've been noticing this to be an insanely good falco ditto strategy. You know how as Marth it can be extremely effective to camp generally by wavelanding in place on a platform and just falling through with retreat fair repeatedly?

Well, not to say you can spam that in falco dittos but a really quick waveland on a platform, say, after shielding a laser or something can net you fall through dairs all ****ing day.

Seems like it can be one of the best ways to deal with being the falco that doesn't have stage control at the time.
Utilt only hits through the part directly above you. That is definitely really good though and alleviates this problem to some extent on YS. Top platform there as well as side/top platforms anywhere else can still give Falco trouble though if that's where people are choosing to attack Falco from. Lasers control horizontal distance and his bair/uptilt control space behind him but only to certain degrees/times on each move(unlike say Marth who could SH no FF into Uair whenever he wanted to and cover his entire head quickly).

And using the platforms yourself to counter this as well as other lower techniques might be just the place to start for some new ideas. Thanks Niko. =) Mango does this thing where he takes lasers to DJ to platform or Dair so I definitely think you're onto a great thing there.

as falco, i cover that hole with lasers/DD camping. frankly though i don't think it's all that dangerous to get hit once or twice like that, but it's a lot MORE dangerous to get grabbed after.

i agree that camping under a platform is also a good idea, 1 to reduce the potency of opponent's aerial > grab set-ups but also 2 so that you can edge cancel any set-ups performed on you.

if i can't aerial shine on my opponent's shield, i don't do an aerial. it's too easy to abuse his lag. instead i'll land in a laser at a small distance or i'll waveland....somewhere.

kevin your are awesome.
Getting hit could lead to getting knocked down, which COULD lead to getting grabbed or chased to death, so I'm not thrilled about that either but I get your point that risking the hit is better than risking being grabbed. What would you try to do out of DD? You can't uptilt out of that so I assume you try to position for Bair or move out of the way of the incoming attack or attack the opponent first?

I hadn't considered beating out grab setups with under platform camping because I always worry about getting thrown offstage if I'm ever by the edge lol. Might be better vs Falcon than against say Sheik lol.

Ya I know right? That's what he said to me..

What happened to that, huh? =)
I like having fun, but not in my thread as much as it's been going on.

Armada took over his thread. =P

==

==

Puff could crash this angle, so can Peach kinda(why floating is such a big deal besides dodging lasers), so can Fox with Nair from FHs and platforms(Javi crashed it a lot with his FH nair vs lots of people), Falcon can from certain SH/FH/DJ/platform spacings and aerials, ganon can from similar things as Falcon, heck even the Marios can with their FH Dair lol. It may not be like a viable main strategy with every good character, but it is good to use at least once a match with most of the good(top-mid tier) characters.

Roll isn't a guaranteed solution for this situation every time but it can be good. The nature of the way that dead zone of Falco's can be threatened(pressure through the fear of crashing the angle Falco can't fight) can often show whether he wants to roll or not and eliminate guesswork for players looking for such cureall reactions.

I'm looking for more of a strategy than one more or two that can cover this.

I'm not recommending this, but I usually just shield any time I am getting attacked from above. Shine OoS pwns a lot of stuff, and even if their move is safe on shield (Falcon stomp/knee, Sheik fair, etc.) trying to escape after the move always seems easier/less risky than trying to beat it outright. Only thing you have to watch out for are tomahawks. On a related note, I've started to just spend entire games just watching for grabs and nothing else because it seems to really throw people off when they can't get their daily dosage of grabs even if they are landing a decent amount of other moves.
Shine OOS is **** but Falco in shield is not very effective imo. Being locked in one place is bad when usually you want to be locking the opponent down.

That avoiding grabs is an odd....but good thing to do I suppose lol. Keeps Falco from dying very easily, especially by the edge lol. Probably something I should consider focusing on as well...

exactly. being above falco isn't spectacular considering his uptilt will still beat almost everything, and in general, almost entire cast is terrible at attacking from above anyway. (almost every down air in the game is either slow, low priority, or sucks)

if all else fails though, I just use turn around/pivot bairs to cover my head.
Well uptilt tends to trade more than beat things in situations like that in my experience, and Falco isn't a character that typically enjoys trades. I am not only thinking of Dairs when I talk about attacking Falco's dead zone. I am also thinking of starting above him and spacing a side aerial around his bair/uptilt or falling close to him then forcing him to react but still having time to DJ to a platform and then crashing the angle again. It doesn't seem that bad because not much thought has been given to attacking this angle but I bet if more people worked on it then it would make Falcos looks silly at times.

I agree with bones... honestly the best option is to shield.

The situations ur describing pp sounds like you already failed to maintain a good spacing and they already "won", so you should concede and shield rather than try to get greedy and beat it...

but man, speaking of falco... have u SEEN armada's falco, **** is amazing!!!
I'll team with you next 3 nc tourneys just please don't do this anymore OMFG my rage right now

Not sure where I should be putting this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x1Y9aYaP5o

critique prease
Tech skill seems to be a big problem....it's affecting your punishment game.

Try to work on throw followups more by working your position. If you make luigi DJ then he can't get away from your attacks anymore so space him out or force him to commit then punish him.

Try not to AC Bair into someone(especially at low %) if you can help it.

Also calm down in bad situations. When you get hit you would often just hold shield and look to roll into the middle or attack out. Remember you don't HAVE to shield once you get hit once and you can attack OOS to mess with people as well.

Try to mix up your movement game with your lasers a little more. You died on your 3rd stock for getting read for doing the same type of laser in place twice.

Edit: Word Mogwai that's tight I'm gonna test it out. Thanks =)

OTG no one is boohooing.

Beat!

Smash Master
Unless he's slacked off big time, I'm convinced that PP would beat both Mango and Armada in Marth dittos, and give M2K a good run for his money.

Can't believe I got ninja'd by a freaking wall. ****ing phone.

Mahone

Smash Champion
lol pp... don't need to bribe me...

but ya what do u think about what i said?

i really feel like at the point ur talking about u already got outspaced and should just accept the hit and shield and focus on options oos... and focus more on not getting in that position in the first place

JPOBS

Smash Hero
im just curious what makes everyone so sure mango and pp would beat armada in marth dittos?

or for that matter, what maes everyoen so sure that any of mango/pp/armada would beat the others?

We can all agree m2k wud win overall but as for 2nd, as far as I can see, thats completely up in the air...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i was just guessing after m2k. I think it'd be close, but I think mango has the adaptability and a style that would give him an edge when playing characters he doesn't normally play. PP/Armada was just a random guess since i've never seen armada's marth

edit- yeah im pretty sure m2k would win it. I remember mango complaining that m2k was 4 stocking him in marth dittos

Niko45

Smash Master
I agree with Mahone I'm not really sure what scenario this is where you are getting approach from falling through a platform without you having missed a chance to already do something about it (shine waveland punish them for going on it or whatever). Also bair hits through all platforms besides dreamland so there's also that.

Competitive Marth dittos are pretty stupid, I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to beat anyone.

Beat!

Smash Master
Haven't you guys watched G6 2 GFs? PP did way better than Mango against M2K (same amount of wins, but the games were much closer overall).

Last time I saw Armada play Marth dittos he was about the same level as Hack (a little better I'd say), and while Hack is extremely good at Marth dittos, he's not M2K. This was a while ago, though, so who knows.

Niko45

Smash Master
So disappointed I didn't get to play Hack when he was here. That god damn bong KO'd him. :(

Armada actually mained Marth for over a year. Don't sleep!

Armada

Smash Lord
PPs Marth is better than Mangos if you guys ask me. My Marth sucks in dittos so I would have a really hard time :p

My Marth is really good against spacies and kinda good against Peach too but not against Marth.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
lol pp... don't need to bribe me...

but ya what do u think about what i said?

i really feel like at the point ur talking about u already got outspaced and should just accept the hit and shield and focus on options oos... and focus more on not getting in that position in the first place

But about your actual point, I'm talking about focusing on ways to avoid that situation overall rather than how to necessarily beat it. Yes, Falco has some solid aerial-hitting moves, but wouldn't it be better if he utilized his traits in such a way that allowed him to minimize time spent in that situation and how he could have the best chance of winning if he was forced into it? As people learn to fight Falco, this will become a greater issue and I'm thinking mostly macro strategies here that could help Falco avoid the situation.

Yeah, you could just shield/take the hit, but then you don't really explore all of the options like maybe WD to shield at least(moves Falco so that his weak area shifts or something).

Essentially, we did just say the same thing, but I also think more work could be put into how the immediate situation could be handled should Falco be forced into it(even though it would be better if more time was spent avoiding it as well obviously).

Top Bottom