• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Warhawk

Smash Lord
But for real, mango is probably the most impressive player in melee. But a lot of that feeds into the characters he chooses to play (fox/falco) and his general "IDGAF im just gonna **** you" playstyle. When mango played puff, he honestly didn't "look" impressive because, well, its puff.
I dunno, when he played Puff whenever I watched I was still impressed. A good amount of his spacie stuff is kinda carried over from his playstyle when he was a Puff main. The techniques are not the same as they were when he was Puff, but very much influenced by.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
First time i saw mango's puff nair->fade back fsmash on shield grab, i thought "cool....puff is gay"

First time i saw his falco do the same thing, i thought "loool mindgaamees raaapppeeeeeeeee"

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'd like to see Mango's Jiggs vs. Armada's YL. I think Mango would win by just staying on top of him and getting good reads on Armada's jumps/attacks.

G

genkaku

mango definitely doesn't want to be associated with a GFs like apex, haha.

PP, not to read into things really, but on the stream it looked like you and mango were getting along better at apex than before. Haha, how chummy are the top players with each other?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Top player relationships are REALLY weird.

Mango and I will probably quit getting along so well as another major approaches since he'll start trash talkin me LOL.

I love Mango though even if I do wanna beast him more than anything.

Trash talk's fun anyway I don't mind.

Man I'm gonna have to play some Falco this weekend so I write a big thing in this thread so we can quit gossiping in here <.<
unless anyone else has something they wanna talk about....

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've been playing more Falco recently. He's really fun. After a few hours of Falco/Samus, I'd like to say that Falco has a solid win on it (like 6-4). But I don't really know tons about the MU. I think I remember Hugs saying it was even, but I'm not sure.

It's more of a thought than anything.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
There isn't anything hard to believe. I dunno. I've been curious about this MU for a while. I don't think I'm better than him, really, either. I'm more just curious as to what other people think, and their justifications.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Top player relationships are REALLY weird.

Mango and I will probably quit getting along so well as another major approaches since he'll start trash talkin me LOL.

I love Mango though even if I do wanna beast him more than anything.

Trash talk's fun anyway I don't mind.

Man I'm gonna have to play some Falco this weekend so I write a big thing in this thread so we can quit gossiping in here <.<
They are? Well I mean it's not like we all live close together so our relationships is more intellectual rather than being close together as true friends. Of course there are exceptions but still... Anyways, it is indeed fun when you have 2 rivals ****talking each other which makes the actual tournament match that much more intense. Ahh I love it too.

Beat!

Smash Master
I've been playing more Falco recently. He's really fun. After a few hours of Falco/Samus, I'd like to say that Falco has a solid win on it (like 6-4). But I don't really know tons about the MU. I think I remember Hugs saying it was even, but I'm not sure.

I'm not saying the matchup can't be 6-4, but basing your opinion on the entire matchup off of some friendlies between you and some friend of yours is not a good idea.

Nujabes

Smash Apprentice
uhhh..
What about the extra pressure of being on stage in a tourny?
Everyone is watching, pride on the line, ****talking rights on the line,
How much does it effect you and what do you do(if anything) to deal with it?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
They are? Well I mean it's not like we all live close together so our relationships is more intellectual rather than being close together as true friends. Of course there are exceptions but still... Anyways, it is indeed fun when you have 2 rivals ****talking each other which makes the actual tournament match that much more intense. Ahh I love it too.
They asked about top players Kage, not quitter Ganon mains.

:troll:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Mango is the player who amazes me the most in smash
Dr. PeePees discussion thread: Where we talk about Mango :troll:

But for real, mango is probably the most impressive player in melee. But a lot of that feeds into the characters he chooses to play (fox/falco) and his general "IDGAF im just gonna **** you" playstyle. When mango played puff, he honestly didn't "look" impressive because, well, its puff.

Some characters just have a natural tendency to not appear to be impressive, like peach and puff, which is why people are STILL caught on mango being the best, because he LOOKS like he's doing the most awesome ****.

Most impressive looking players:
1. M2k at the ledge
2. Mango
3. Scar
Look, I agree that Mango's mad impressive, but, are you guys seriously that unimpressed by armada? like, really? dude ****ing took everything we thought we knew about peach, pushed it to it's limit, reinvented it and now makes everyone in the ****ing world look like a scrub with her. I just don't get how you people are seriously not at least putting him in the same league as Mango in terms of impressiveness. Serious Character/Continent bias imo, goddamn. And come on, he ****ing solved his one problem matchup with Young Link, what a ****ing boss :laugh:. From a spectating perspective, I'm offended that Armada does not impress you guys more.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
Look, I agree that Mango's mad impressive, but, are you guys seriously that unimpressed by armada? like, really? dude ****ing took everything we thought we knew about peach, pushed it to it's limit, reinvented it and now makes everyone in the ****ing world look like a scrub with her. I just don't get how you people are seriously not at least putting him in the same league as Mango in terms of impressiveness. Serious Character/Continent bias imo, goddamn. And come on, he ****ing solved his one problem matchup with Young Link, what a ****ing boss :laugh:. From a spectating perspective, I'm offended that Armada does not impress you guys more.
Fully agreed, everytime i watch Armada, im always impressed on how solid he plays. :awesome:

Zoler

Smash Ace
Either you're awfully biased or you're not that knowledgeable about smash if you don't think Armada is incredibly impressive.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Armada is hella impressive. Watching him play smash is almost like watching someone play chess. He reacts to situations in very good consistent ways. Mango is the one who does things I haven't seen before the most and it's things that's actually good.

Armadas consistency in every aspect of the game is really impressive but the rare moments Mango has amazes me the most. Not gonna lie.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I am a spacies player though so I'm sure I'm subject to some bias too but my thoughts on the unwillingness to accept Armada as the best:

Armada confirmed my feelings about Peach being much better than everyone gave her credit for. I've thought you she was top 3 or 4 for a while and seeing how far the character can be taken in every aspect is hard to look past. When I played him he did stuff with Uair and edgeguards I've never seen anyone else even try and he's SUPER consistent. He very well might be the best in the world.

I feel like you could make similarly good arguments for why Kevin or Mango are the best in the world too though.

Kevin had a very convincing (and epic) Pound 5 win over Armada and has been sick (to some degree) at the last two nationals; this is not a john, Armada still won and Kevin played decently but knowing he was not 100% makes me eager to see the rematch before I'll concede Armada being the best. Kevin also still hasn't beat Mango in a recent all spacies set either.

I won't go on about why Mango is still in conversation for best in the world since we've been through that but I did want to say: Mango hadn't been playing much at all leading into Apex, which is his own fault and Armada won by being **** consistent. It's clearly a very difficult thing to beat Mango at all and I would not take the magnitude of that victory away either. I think a lot of people who are still unconvinced about Armada being the best are waiting for a tournament where he doesn't SD twice a match or a tournament where he's been really playing and seems to be at his best. This day may never come though, so who knows.

EDIT: And yeah, no one amazes me in quite the same manner as Mango. I can't lie.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
After watching Armada's Falco when he's "playing like a ****", he can do all that Mango mindgame bull**** if he wants. He just doesn't feel the need in actual play to empty full hop mind**** people (or whatever supposed innovations has you noobs orgasming and meat riding Mango), when he can win without. Peach doesn't exactly facilitate that kind of playstyle anyway.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
It's not about the fact that other people can do the same stuff Mango does; a lot of people are super technical and capable. It's the way he does stuff and when and why and the varied speeds that he mixes stuff up.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I am a spacies player though so I'm sure I'm subject to some bias too but my thoughts on the unwillingness to accept Armada as the best:

Armada confirmed my feelings about Peach being much better than everyone gave her credit for. I've thought you she was top 3 or 4 for a while and seeing how far the character can be taken in every aspect is hard to look past. When I played him he did stuff with Uair and edgeguards I've never seen anyone else even try and he's SUPER consistent. He very well might be the best in the world.

I feel like you could make similarly good arguments for why Kevin or Mango are the best in the world too though.

Kevin had a very convincing (and epic) Pound 5 win over Armada and has been sick (to some degree) at the last two nationals; this is not a john, Armada still won and Kevin played decently but knowing he was not 100% makes me eager to see the rematch before I'll concede Armada being the best. Kevin also still hasn't beat Mango in a recent all spacies set either.

I won't go on about why Mango is still in conversation for best in the world since we've been through that but I did want to say: Mango hadn't been playing much at all leading into Apex, which is his own fault and Armada won by being **** consistent. It's clearly a very difficult thing to beat Mango at all and I would not take the magnitude of that victory away either. I think a lot of people who are still unconvinced about Armada being the best are waiting for a tournament where he doesn't SD twice a match or a tournament where he's been really playing and seems to be at his best. This day may never come though, so who knows.

EDIT: And yeah, no one amazes me in quite the same manner as Mango. I can't lie.
Your opinions have managed to convince me that Michael Jordan was probably still the best player in the NBA when he was playing for the Wizards.

Stop johning for PP and Mango. Just stop. You can't john and then say, "I'm not johning" and have it be totally cool. If armada ever loses again, I'll just say, "oh man, it's just cause he had so much pressure on himself cause he has to travel halfway across the world for these tournaments, play a version of the game he doesn't usually play, and because there's so much pressure on him from the sheer cost of his travel to do well." No johns means exactly that, no... ****ing... johns.

You're allowed to be impressed by Mango, I'm impressed by Mango, but I'm also downright pissed that people are snubbing the best playing in the game with their talks. People were talking about scar ffs. Scar's my homeboy, but why the **** is he entering the impressiveness conversation ahead of Armada nowadays? w/e, I'm done, I just think it's absurd that you guys aren't impressed by him and that anyone can still say he's not the best in the world. If you can't say Armada's the best right now, then we have never ever had a conclusive best player in the history of the game.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Your opinions have managed to convince me that Michael Jordan was probably still the best player in the NBA when he was playing for the Wizards.

Stop johning for PP and Mango. Just stop. You can't john and then say, "I'm not johning" and have it be totally cool. If armada ever loses again, I'll just say, "oh man, it's just cause he had so much pressure on himself cause he has to travel halfway across the world for these tournaments, play a version of the game he doesn't usually play, and because there's so much pressure on him from the sheer cost of his travel to do well." No johns means exactly that, no... ****ing... johns.

You're allowed to be impressed by Mango, I'm impressed by Mango, but I'm also downright pissed that people are snubbing the best playing in the game with their talks. People were talking about scar ffs. Scar's my homeboy, but why the **** is he entering the impressiveness conversation ahead of Armada nowadays? w/e, I'm done, I just think it's absurd that you guys aren't impressed by him and that anyone can still say he's not the best in the world. If you can't say Armada's the best right now, then we have never ever had a conclusive best player in the history of the game.
Michael Jordan was physically much older and playing with a significantly worse team. He was no longer the best. He came back several years after his retirement. Invalid comparison but I understand the point you're making.

This is a mental game. I don't understand what part of sickness or not practicing doesn't constitute reasons why you would not perform up to potential. I stressed over and over in the post that Armada was crazy consistent and very well might be the best in the world. I am not in a position to say that though, and honestly, only about 5-10 people really are. I'm not invalidating his victories either; he won because he's crazy good. I'm just saying I believe Kevin and Mango both are still very capable of beating Armada and I don't think two victories over either player are grounds for saying he's "better" than them or "the best in the world", nor more than I was overly convinced by their beating him in prior nationals making either of them "the best in the world".

I was only trying to explain why I thought people still felt that kind of apprehension about Armada being the best. I'm speculatively waiting for more data.

And I know you might not have been directing the comment to me, but I at least am in no way trying to "snub him" on his impressiveness; I started my post talking about how impressed I was by his innovation and consistency. He is really ****ing good, I don't know why Scar's name got tossed in there. He's the homie too but he's not at the same level and I don't think many would debate that. Falcon combos just tend to have more speed and swag to them....it's just how Falcon is. haha

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
This is a mental game. I don't understand what part of sickness or not practicing doesn't constitute reasons why you would not perform up to potential. I stressed over and over in the post that Armada was crazy consistent and very well might be the best in the world. I am not in a position to say that though, and honestly, only about 5-10 people really are. I'm not invalidating his victories either; he won because he's crazy good. I'm just saying I believe Kevin and Mango both are still very capable of beating Armada and I don't think two victories over either player are grounds for saying he's "better" than them or "the best in the world", nor more than I was overly convinced by their beating him in prior nationals making either of them "the best in the world".

I was only trying to explain why I thought people still felt that kind of apprehension about Armada being the best. I'm speculatively waiting for more data.
See, I just disagree. There's no value to agonizing over hypotheticals and potentials. The results over the past year speak for themselves. Armada's the top dog. He's the man. He's the one you need to be thinking about getting through if you want to win a tournament. I don't care about the why behind why Mango's losing, all I care about is that Mango got bodied. You can talk about lack of practice, but just because I think I'd be a better player if I practiced for 10 hours/day doesn't mean that I think that should be considered when evaluating myself as a player now and I don't see how this is different. PP's is more legit because it's outside of his control, but seriously why is lack of practice in any way legit? Everyone who didn't get first might've done better had they practiced more, nothing is special about Mango's case and he's been slumping way too long for us to just keep giving him the benefit of the doubt that he can just turn it back on and win everything again.

Mahone

Smash Champion
real talk, everyone brushes of consistency and patience like they're nothing... when really they are some of the hardest parts of playing smash...

sure he doesn't moonwalk or some ****... but ya have u seen his marth...

he can do flashy **** too, but he doesn't cuz its tournament... he just WINS

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Sorry but that isn't an excuse for not performing well. Being patient or consistent is needed for ANYTHING you do competitively. There's only one winner possible after all.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I blame the lack of international tournaments compared to other esports on why people have a hard time pointing out a best player in the world for smash. It's tough to compare europeans to americans when they rarely play eachother.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

I thought a ton about the matchup before Apex because Plup was going and managed to do fine in our friendlies but I don't totally get the matchup. I don't think Samus wins or anything but Plup has shown me some very interesting Samus spacing tricks(that involve platforms oddly enough...as outs and for spacing purposes) that I believe could be where Samus makes that surge back into the area of success in the matchup that Hugs described(roughly evenish). My Samus is experience is very limited so I can't say much more on it than that haha.

uhhh..
What about the extra pressure of being on stage in a tourny?
Everyone is watching, pride on the line, ****talking rights on the line,
How much does it effect you and what do you do(if anything) to deal with it?
The very first time it happens it'll affect you no matter what from what I've seen lol(apex wasn't my first time in the spotlight or anything so that's not a john). After that, you can feel pretty experienced in the situation and you learn to just treat it like any other match. Go in focusing on your gameplan and desire to win and that will be all that matters. Those other types of distracting thoughts keep you from focusing on winning, and if you recognize them as such then you can ignore them much better in favor of match-centered concepts.

dang it mogwai
MAN SERIOUSLY WTF

lol

Top Bottom