• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think the rate at which you have to be frame perfect is exaggerated. its not "fame perfect" but it is reeeally tight though.
I can only do it on the right lol
I know for a fact that in order for Fox to do it, he has to jump the first frame after letting go of the ledge and airdodge at the perfect frame. Falco's might be a little easier because I think his DJ goes a little higher, but you're still going to have to be frame perfect on the DJ, and you probably only have a few frames to execute the air dodge.

I just finished my nominations for the Forum Awards. Here's a quick preview:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Hmm, alright.

Two more questions

1. When falco/fox double jumps at the ledge to sweetspot, I see some people Up B right before they reach the ledge. Does this actually extend where your sweetspot is (like a firefox stall kinda thing) or is it just for flashiness? lol

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl1kA3GB_cg
I watched this match a million years ago and have wondered ever since, does this particular kind of shine dair to 80% actually work on marth most of the time or did me2king just DI really badly?
1. The firebird startup has a little bit of momentum in the direction your were traveling right before you start it and you can travel a small distance in said direction during startup. You can see this if you go to japes, run off either side of the main platform and firdbird immediately, you can cross the creek and grab the edge of the side plateau thing while still in the startup. So I would imagine a similar thing may be going on here where people DJ and use the little momentum to gain a tiny bit extra height but im not sure on that. Theres also the case mentioed earlier where if you firebird right at the ledge but the opponent takes the edge right before you, as soon as he moves off it to do anything you grab it right away. So that may be another reason.

2. this combo is really weird to me. Just because if it was legit, you would see it ALL the time the same way you always see the stable pillar combos vs fox. I'm gonna chalk it up to M2k doing a number of things wrong. First, I think he could have fair'd out after he second dair right before the second shine. That didn't seem to link perfectly. Also at low percents especially (so within like the first few dairs) its really hard to link dair->shine because the dair doesn't have much stun at low percents and the shine doesn't have much vertical range and any bit of sdi on the opponents part will get them out usually so its safer to dair->uptilt after the first shine.

Eggm also did a few things right. He's double jumping immediately after leaving the ground which accelerates faster than then a full hop. So he can get above m2k and fall through him with a dair. this is key to combo'ing semi-floaties at low percents because you have to minimze your time spent airborne after hitting them with the dair because (again) it doesn't have as much stun so the later you hit them and the faster you reach the ground the better the combo.

So...eh i dunno. M2k prolly could have done better and eggm compensated and captilized.

I know for a fact that in order for Fox to do it, he has to jump the first frame after letting go of the ledge and airdodge at the perfect frame. Falco's might be a little easier because I think his DJ goes a little higher, but you're still going to have to be frame perfect on the DJ, and you probably only have a few frames to execute the air dodge.

I just finished my nominations for the Forum Awards. Here's a quick preview:
I was always under the impression fox and falco's DJ went the same height?

in any case, it seems weird for it to be frame perfect, I was able to do it decently enough and it didn't seem even close to the other frame perfect mechnics in the game.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@Eggm's combo
M2K could have attacked (Maybe countered? That would be pretty sick. lol) or jumped out.

I was always under the impression fox and falco's DJ went the same height?

in any case, it seems weird for it to be frame perfect, I was able to do it decently enough and it didn't seem even close to the other frame perfect mechnics in the game.
I'm not sure what's different, but it's definitely something. Try to do a LH bair to regrab. It's mad easy with Falco, but really hard with Fox. It's basically the same idea with the waveland, but I don't know how falling speed would come into play. I'm pretty sure Falco falls faster than Fox, but maybe Fox's slow fall is faster than Falco's slow fall? Idk. Either way, try it with Fox and see if it's any more difficult than Falco's. I couldn't really tell a difference, but I was only able to get it ~1/7 tries (or ~4/28 in Canadia).

Fast and steady > Slow and steady

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea fox is harder for sure. Idk what the mechanics are, but im 73% sure their DJ's atleast go the same height.

lmao at 4/28 canadia

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I literally did that against m2k on the spot. Had 0 things planned going into that match rofl

So I played roughly 10 hours in the past few days exclusively against Sheik (tafokints, shroomed, lord). My conclusion is that Sheik is doable (still my hardest matchup along with Marth), but needs a completely different mentality going in (at least one that's foreign to me).

Unlike Falcon / Falco / Fox... etc, I haven't been able to single out a recurring scenario that has a guaranteed hard punish, but that's ok. My most successful matches / sets against Sheik were ones that I just focused on playing well overall (specifically just avoiding getting ***** as opposed to ****** the sheik) as opposed to focusing on a single aspect of play (this is something I do for just about every other matchup). I'm on a ski trip for a few days, so I'll spend some time theorycrafting / revising certain videos.

Thanks for all the help unknown / pp. I'm actually really bad at taking other people's advice, but I feel like the writeups made a significant difference for me.
Glad I could help =)

I kinda play to not get ***** against sheik usually too lol.

Falco's ledgehop waveland can reach the near platforms on DL. You can also ledgehop phantasm edgecancel on DL like stadium.

Food for thought Falbros.
That DL waveland is so hard =(

You have to be double frame perfect to waveland onto the side plats of DL. >___>

You can ledge cancel Phantasm on all of the stages though.

People look faster on video because YouTube runs at 30 fps. See: Zhu's dash dancing in another galaxy.
Oh so it's factual video runs faster. Cool haha.

yea fox is harder for sure. Idk what the mechanics are, but im 73% sure their DJ's atleast go the same height.

lmao at 4/28 canadia
Could it just be that their Bairs are different?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
1. When falco/fox double jumps at the ledge to sweetspot, I see some people Up B right before they reach the ledge. Does this actually extend where your sweetspot is (like a firefox stall kinda thing) or is it just for flashiness? lol
The point is to prevent you from overshooting the edge vertically.

Like, if you wanted to DJ sweetspot without it, you'd have to wait a little bit for you to fall to the correct height before double jumping. But instead you can jump whenever you feel like it and then do the up B to stop your vertical movement.

You have to be really accurate with it for it to be useful though imo. If you're a little off even the fire animation is just asking to get poked by a move and gimped.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
The point is to prevent you from overshooting the edge vertically.

Like, if you wanted to DJ sweetspot without it, you'd have to wait a little bit for you to fall to the correct height before double jumping. But instead you can jump whenever you feel like it and then do the up B to stop your vertical movement.

You have to be really accurate with it for it to be useful though imo. If you're a little off even the fire animation is just asking to get poked by a move and gimped.
I think in the interests of stalling it's a bad idea. Now using it to pick the window for invulnerability frames when you're about to edge guard or something, awesome.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl1kA3GB_cg
I watched this match a million years ago and have wondered ever since, does this particular kind of shine dair to 80% actually work on marth most of the time or did me2king just DI really badly?
At low percents I'm pretty certain this combo doesn't work if Marth attacks through it or jumps. Its harder for Marth to escape if Falco does an up-tilt after the first dair because of the much larger hitbox above Falco on the up-tilt as opposed to the shine although I think even then Marth can get out of it. Shine-dair-shine only starts linking on Marth at much higher percents (~70-80% I think) and only for a short while and then starts hitting Marth too far off the top. There is also a percent range in between there where shine-dair-up-tilt links perfectly I believe but I don't know what it is. All this is not even considering Marth's DI on the shine to try and escape the combo so its safe to say this won't really work.

Although by timing the dair later and as you are falling you can get it so its near inescapable, and if your opponent panics and doesn't manage to escape properly a time or two now you're in that percent range where it actually is a combo...

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure if you do dair shine wavedash dair shine fast enough it will keep Marth in hitstun, but barely. You don't really have time to react to his DI and stuff, so dair shine dair utilt is much more consistent.
Are you sure? Because I tried it at lower percents and I couldn't seem to get it where it was completely inescapable at the lower percents (I could be messing up the timing on the dair and fastfall though). I could get it at the higher percents but not the initial ones. Also DI'ing away from Falco almost seemed to make it easier. If it can be done at the lower percents then I think you can link it all the way until death as you can dsmash after one of the dairs at high percent or uair Marth off the top at like 110%.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
No, I'm not sure. I just do it to people/cpus, but I haven't done it in training mode or anything since I can't do it without C-stick >_>

How are you testing it?
I tried it in training mode just to see even if with bad DI I could get enough hitstun to keep them in it at low percents and I could visibly see the hitstun go away as well as the combo counter reset. However, the longer I delayed the dair after the shine and as I was already falling, the closer I got to it being a "true combo". Also, I didn't try having someone airdodge out of it to see if it really was escapable so maybe for all intents and purposes it is a combo if you time the dair and fastfall perfectly because everyone knows that stupid counter lies. Also I'm doing it without even the c-stick (stupid training mode) and that probably could make the timing of the dair better.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'll test it out in training mode when I get a chance. It's almost a moot point anyway since you should be attempting to pillar Marth pretty much his whole stock until he's at a high enough % to get knocked off stage and edge guarded (unless you have a good opportunity to rack up damage by knocking him of earlier, I guess).

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
guys how do i deal with tournament pressure? I basically play like a normal human during friendlies, then in tournament im so much worse. haha. I think I gotta just play it like a regular friendly.

btw. what is up with sf4 players getting all uptight about it being called a friendly? whats wrong with being friendly. calling a game a "casual" is so stupid.

btw. i dont know if u know this but smash is a fun game.

Beat!

Smash Master
Dunno how many tournaments you've been to, but for me, the nerves have gone away a little for every tournament I've gone to. Keep playing and it'll go away by itself.

Maybe there are some other tricks but idk.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
uhmmm yeah, you're supposed to play better in tournament...i know i always do.

use the extra adrenaline and such to make stronger reads, tighter decisions. make yourself able to consider everything that's going on and finish every combo/edgeguard. focus on the moment and the battle overall, and silly things like nerves shouldn't get in the way.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
damn. i think im gonna play the next couple tournaments as sheik though, just to learn some of the more fundamental parts of the game. who's gonna teach spacing and stuff like that the best? probably marth or falcon?

Edit: I've heard Daigo Umehara meditates during tournaments can anyone validate this?

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Focus on having fun and you shouldn't be as nervous. The ironic thing is that this might make you play worse anyway but just keep that in mind.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
yeah i think the amount of pressure i sometimes put on myself to do well really just does the opposite of what i want it to do. and just makes me forget how to do anythign BUT shl. lmfao. aight.

also. do you think if i played skyward sword or megaman x for 24 hours people would donate enough money to me so i could go to apex?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
guys how do i deal with tournament pressure? I basically play like a normal human during friendlies, then in tournament im so much worse. haha. I think I gotta just play it like a regular friendly.

btw. what is up with sf4 players getting all uptight about it being called a friendly? whats wrong with being friendly. calling a game a "casual" is so stupid.

btw. i dont know if u know this but smash is a fun game.
for tournament problems, I can usually fix whatever they are within the context of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqummot83IE&list=FLsrUCyrwJxAGrCyeLRZhnKA&index=21&feature=plpp_video

and that SF player thing is probably just another way smash seems kiddy to them. casuals and friendlies mean the same thing but they each sound different to the other group because of all of the other preconceptions involved.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
damn. i think im gonna play the next couple tournaments as sheik though, just to learn some of the more fundamental parts of the game. who's gonna teach spacing and stuff like that the best? probably marth or falcon?

Edit: I've heard Daigo Umehara meditates during tournaments can anyone validate this?
Well these days at tournaments if I do get nervous before or after a tournament match, I usually go outside by myself and try to re-center myself so that I have the proper mindset before and during a match.

Brookman

Smash Hero
usually, if i get nervous at a tourney I'll just run to the lav and rub one out. that usually sets me up for victory

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
wtf, people are saying tournament *should* make you play better, or that taking friendlies seriously is harder than playing well in tournament?

I envy you guys... I'm with CK on this one =/

@PP I had a lot of experimentation with the powershielding stuff today (from marth's perspective) and I'm pretty convinced of a couple things. AIM?

Brookman

Smash Hero
wtf, people are saying tournament *should* make you play better, or that taking friendlies seriously is harder than playing well in tournament?

I envy you guys... I'm with CK on this one =/

@PP I had a lot of experimentation with the powershielding stuff today (from marth's perspective) and I'm pretty convinced of a couple things. AIM?
in regard to tourney vs friendly matches, i find that, when i play a lot of friendly games it can be hard for he to get into tourney *** mode/i become less sharp/creative.

Zoso is a power shielding machine

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Alright, that's interesting... it just seems so odd to me, since I can play amazingly *consistently* in friendlies, but as soon as a tournament match starts I could lose to someone I'd been 4 stocking 5 minutes ago.

And yeah, zoso's great at powershielding; it was pretty fun playing against it the one time I got the chance to.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Seems like your mindset needs training. =P It's definitely something you can't just flip the switch and decide ok now I'm going to play good.. you have to train yourself to think certain things during the tournament match.

leffen

Smash Champion
Doing well in tournament isn't as much about experience as people think - just going to tournament and hoping it'll fix itself won't really change much. I haven't played for long and I haven't attended that many tournaments yet I think I never get affected by nerves during tournaments. It's all about being confident, training yourself to have complete focus and to keep working on your mindset whenever you play.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ah yes that trend. Looking for the easy-out!? There is no such thing, you have to TRAIN. Everything needs training, there's always things that can be done better but obviously it's much easier to convince yourself otherwise. DF, instead of being envious.. train! lol. Simple as that, be conscious of your thought processes. If at some point during a match your thoughts become negative, that's where you have to stop and think otherwise... maybe take a moment before beginning a new stock and reset whatever BS you have in your head.

I do like that SF video, it's really good. I strongly believe that everything begins with your mindset. Even practicing techniques to perfection will still not make you the best, because if you aren't mentally prepared then you will **** up.

Top Bottom